• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Graphic Card sucking too much Juice from my UPS cant keep up. How to reduce Power Draw?

Mike Messiah

Hi, i live in India, where power cuts happens very frequently, so we use a device called UPS or Uninterrupted Power Supply . My mains line go to UPS, which connects to my PC
This is my current specs
Ryzen 5 1500x
16Gb DDR4 2666
Zotac GTX 1070
Antec 500W power supply

Additionally, my Monitor (Samsung 24inch 144hz) is also connected to my UPS

My UPS is Zebronics ZEBU1200
  • Input: 220-240Vac, 50/60Hz, 7.5A
  • Output: 220-240Vac, 50/60Hz
  • Capacity 1000VA/600W

Earlier when i used a GTX 1050ti (which is 75W only), i never had issues. However, after getting this GPU from my bro, i face problems in certain games like Desperado 3 (but no problems in heavier games like Control,Witcher 3, COD Warzone)
My PC runs fine, its my UPS that faces problems.
After 10min or so,my UPS starts beeeping. When i check the manual, it says that this warning comes where there is too much LOAD.
Now wait a minute. My PSU is 500W, my monitor is maximum 59W, Why cant my UPS handle the pressure?

Anyways, so i think the only option i have is to reduce the TDP of my GPU.
Can anyone tell me how to do it? Maybe reduce it so that it consumes only 100W or so ?
Is there any other way of reducing the Watt load on my UPS?

Processor Ryzen 1600AF @4.2Ghz 1.35v
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-A-MAX
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L120t
Memory 16GB Team Group Dark Pro Sammy-B-die 3400mhz 14.15.14.30-1.4v
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO
Storage 240GB Brave eagle SSD/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Case MSI Mag Vampiric 011C AMD Ryzen Edition
Power Supply EVGA 600W 80+
Software Windows 10 Pro
Use afterburner to undervolt and down clock it or plug your monitor straight into the mains /get a higher capacity ups

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Is there the possability that the UPS could be defective? I had a UPS that the battery died on me recently. Cost of the battery is as much as a new UPS.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
a 500W PSU delivering 500W can draw more at the wall, due to the efficiency.

You dont have a super high wattage system, so likely the UPS isn't delivering its full power amount due to an aging battery... upgrade it, or take the monitor or something else off the UPS

Last edited:

Powindah

The problem with your UPS is the battery capacity is too small for extended use with your new graphics card. Most consumer grade UPS batteries are only capable of providing power for a short period of time, due to their low ampere-hour rating. Although the specification of your UPS might say it is capable of providing power for up to 1 hour, this is only true for very light loads, e.g. a small laptop PSU. I am not surprised that your gaming system only lasts for 10 minutes when the mains power disappears.

If it was my system, I'd consider modifying the UPS and install a larger external battery, to increase the run time of the UPS. As an electronics engineer, I regard this as a simple task, but I would not recommend it if you are not confident of your abilities. The first thing I'd check is the capacity of the UPS battery. Chances are it's a single 12V 7AHr or 12V 9AHr battery. These batteries usually work for only for only 5 to 10 at full load (1000VA/600W), or 10 to 20 minutes at half load (500VA/300W), before the battery goes flat. Bigger UPS sometimes contain a pair of batteries, wired in series to provide 24V DC to the inverter. Despite containing two batteries, these UPS may not run any longer than a small UPS, because larger UPS have a higher rating, e.g. 2000VA/1200W and tend to be used with more power hungry equipment.

If you can find a source of suitable 12V sealed lead acid batteries, connect them in parallel with the existing battery using heavy duty insulated wires and observing polarity (+ to +, - to -). This would increase the ampere hour rating of the UPS and provide longer operation. I do not recommend the use of "wet" acid motorcycle, car or truck batteries, because they are not have exactly the same characteristics as normal UPS sealed lead acid batteries. To extend the range of your existing UPS from 10 minutes to 1 hour, you would need to add another 5 identical 12V batteries (assuming there is only 1 battery inside the UPS). Alternatively, you could add a single much larger battery with 5 times the ampere hour rating of the existing battery.

12V or 24V batteries do not pose a risk to human life in terms of electric shock, because the terminal Voltage is below the 50V DC SELV limit (a UK safety standard). You will not get an electric shock if you touch both terminals on a 12V or 24V battery. However, lead acid batteries store a lot of energy and are very dangerous when shorted out or connected up the wrong way round. If you short out a large battery, you may end up scarred for life with acide burns. Unsealed lead acid batteries also constitute a risk in confined spaces, because they may emit hydrogen gas during charging. The dangerous circuits inside a UPS at mains potential (115V AC or 230V AC) are usually well shielded when all the covers are in place.

If you are not confident about jury rigging an external battery on to your UPS (which will invalidate the guarantee), refer the matter to a qualified electrician. It's not worth the risk of setting fire to your house, if the wire you use is too thin and it overheats then catches fire!!! Take care.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Since you have a GTX1070, lowering the power draw is actually really easy.

Just install MSI Afterburner, and lower the TDP slider. It is a percentage slider, so by default it is at 100%, and I believe most nVidia cards let you go all the way down to 50%. Of course this will affect performance of the card. You can just keep adjusting the slider down until the problem goes away.

The problem with your UPS is the battery capacity is too small for extended use with your new graphics card. Most consumer grade UPS batteries are only capable of providing power for a short period of time, due to their low ampere-hour rating. Although the specification of your UPS might say it is capable of providing power for up to 1 hour, this is only true for very light loads, e.g. a small laptop PSU. I am not surprised that your gaming system only lasts for 10 minutes when the mains power disappears.

If it was my system, I'd consider modifying the UPS and install a larger external battery, to increase the run time of the UPS. As an electronics engineer, I regard this as a simple task, but I would not recommend it if you are not confident of your abilities. The first thing I'd check is the capacity of the UPS battery. Chances are it's a single 12V 7AHr or 12V 9AHr battery. These batteries usually work for only for only 5 to 10 at full load (1000VA/600W), or 10 to 20 minutes at half load (500VA/300W), before the battery goes flat. Bigger UPS sometimes contain a pair of batteries, wired in series to provide 24V DC to the inverter. Despite containing two batteries, these UPS may not run any longer than a small UPS, because larger UPS have a higher rating, e.g. 2000VA/1200W and tend to be used with more power hungry equipment.

If you can find a source of suitable 12V sealed lead acid batteries, connect them in parallel with the existing battery using heavy duty insulated wires and observing polarity (+ to +, - to -). This would increase the ampere hour rating of the UPS and provide longer operation. I do not recommend the use of "wet" acid motorcycle, car or truck batteries, because they are not have exactly the same characteristics as normal UPS sealed lead acid batteries. To extend the range of your existing UPS from 10 minutes to 1 hour, you would need to add another 5 identical 12V batteries (assuming there is only 1 battery inside the UPS). Alternatively, you could add a single much larger battery with 5 times the ampere hour rating of the existing battery.

12V or 24V batteries do not pose a risk to human life in terms of electric shock, because the terminal Voltage is below the 50V DC SELV limit (a UK safety standard). You will not get an electric shock if you touch both terminals on a 12V or 24V battery. However, lead acid batteries store a lot of energy and are very dangerous when shorted out or connected up the wrong way round. If you short out a large battery, you may end up scarred for life with acide burns. Unsealed lead acid batteries also constitute a risk in confined spaces, because they may emit hydrogen gas during charging. The dangerous circuits inside a UPS at mains potential (115V AC or 230V AC) are usually well shielded when all the covers are in place.

If you are not confident about jury rigging an external battery on to your UPS (which will invalidate the guarantee), refer the matter to a qualified electrician. It's not worth the risk of setting fire to your house, if the wire you use is too thin and it overheats then catches fire!!! Take care.

The issue here is not the size of the battery, it is the size of the transformer in the UPS. Upgrading the battery won't help. The battery size doesn't determine the wattage the UPS can output, the transformer does.

Mike Messiah

I am talking about running PC on mains. The UPS gives the warning beeps even when the mains are ON.

Since you have a GTX1070, lowering the power draw is actually really easy.

Just install MSI Afterburner, and lower the TDP slider. It is a percentage slider, so by default it is at 100%, and I believe most nVidia cards let you go all the way down to 50%. Of course this will affect performance of the card. You can just keep adjusting the slider down until the problem goes away.

The issue here is not the size of the battery, it is the size of the transformer in the UPS. Upgrading the battery won't help. The battery size doesn't determine the wattage the UPS can output, the transformer does.
So i need a bigger UPS?? I dont think there are any UPS that is higher than 1000VA/600WA in my country.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, Alphacool NexXxoS ST25 360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe x 2
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
If your running your PC at idle will your PC run for any duration while on the battery?

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Is the UPS properly ventilated? Most require a large amount of distance (30cm) between them and any other objects, because the internal components (like the transformer) put out a LOT of heat. And I don't see any sign of a fan on this model.

But honestly, it's far more likely that you've fallen victim to the no-name-brand part of the UPS market. As you'll notice, your UPS's product page claims 600W output, but not 600W sustained output. That means that it can probably hold 600W for a while (about 10 minutes as your testing has shown), but not indefinitely. In fact the page specifically mentions "100W @ 30 minutes", which does not give me any sort of confidence in its capabilities. (Nor does the omission of the power factor.)

My guess is that this UPS model can probably manage 500W indefinitely, at best. Reputable manufacturers like APC will unfortunately charge you an arm and a leg for a UPS, but at least they will guarantee you an output wattage.

Mike Messiah

my PC can run approx 10 mins depending on what i do. Gaming is a bit less than 5mins.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
So i need a bigger UPS?? I dont think there are any UPS that is higher than 1000VA/600WA in my country.

A 1000VA/600W UPS should be enough. However, there are plenty of cheap UPSes that overrate the output. You might want to search for a brand name(APC/Cyberpower) UPS.

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
my issue is that my problems started only after i got a GTX 1070
You're just not getting it. The GTX 1070 is only a 200 watt GPU, and I doubt if the rest of your system is pulling 100 watts. But I don't have to guess, the 1500X was reviewed here and power draw for the whole system measurements were made with a GTX 1080, and although the PSU was a Seasonic SS-860XP (Platinum rated), the system load was only 260 watts. (if I did the math right, and if you have a 70% efficient PSU, the max draw would be around 350 watts EDIT: oops, forgot the monitor)

In short, :D you don't have a load problem, you have a problem with an over rated or faulty UPS. The 5/10 minute delay is also a big clue.

Last edited:

Mike Messiah

You're just not getting it. The GTX 1070 is only a 200 watt GPU, and I doubt if the rest of your system is pulling 100 watts. But I don't have to guess, the 1500X was reviewed here and power draw for the whole system measurements were made with a GTX 1080, and although the PSU was a Seasonic SS-860XP (Platinum rated), the system load was only 260 watts. (if I did the math right, and if you have a 70% efficient PSU, the max draw would be around 350 watts EDIT: oops, forgot the monitor)

In short, :D you don't have a load problem, you have a problem with an over rated or faulty UPS. The 5/10 minute delay is also a big clue.
will changing the battery inside my UPS work?

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
You need a new higher quality UPS no ifs no ands no buts no what ifs no new battery.

You need a UPS that can actually deliver the power it claims to.

All one has to do is check the ratings, Your current Zebronics ZEBU1200 is rated for 30 mins at 100-watts, a Typical APC or Cyberpower where as at the same 1000VA rating they get 50-60 mins.
Shady product, with missing technical specifications, and with ratings that don't even come close to the two most popular brands available in the same performance category.

Even cheaper units from the main tiers offer better internals / battery power / life. This is an example of needing to know what it is your actually buying. Just because the numbers and shit look good on the box doesn't mean squat. Especially in countries/regions where consumer laws are weak.

Put another way your ZEBU1200 may be a 1000VA unit but its specifications indicate its closer to being a 360Watts / 600VA to 480Watts / 800VA unit or there about from what I can find in comparison to a top tier brand. Meaning for your system you need a proper high tier 1000VA unit to power your system and avoid problems. You paid for a cheaper alternative and well that is exactly what you got. You should never pinch pennies on a computer power supply OR a UPS.

Last edited:
System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, Alphacool NexXxoS ST25 360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe x 2
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.

Since your unit is not working properly anyway might as well inspect the battery condition (if you can do so safely) and/or look for any obvious signs of damage to the unit if possible. I had a unit once with a cracked battery (normally sealed) and if I remember correctly the UPS had reported some error code related to an overload.

System Name K9
Processor i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz and 32deg C - delid + Grizzly Conductonaught LM
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Custom water cooling loop - GPU + mobo (+VRM's) + CPU
Memory G Skill - Trident Z RGB DDR4 - 3866Mhz x 32Gb @ 3800Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 11Gb GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce Extreme @ 2250Mhz
Storage Samsung 500Gb M2 970 EVO + Samsung 850 Pro SSD + ADATA 512Gb SSD + Samsung 1Tb & 3T + WD 1Tb + 3Tb
Display(s) ASUS 27" ROG Swift 1440p @ 165Hz & BenQ 27" LED
Case Thermaltake Core P7 - Open frame
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z906 - 5.1ch
Power Supply EVGA 1200W
Mouse Roccat LeadR + Razer Nagar V2 Pro
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX with Cherry Red switches
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores v/fast
How old is the UPS ?? as the internal battery might be EOL and need replacement.

Batteries don't last forever

System Name CTG Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Asrock B650M PRO RS WIFI
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE
Memory 2x 16gb G.SKILL F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6800XT Gaming OC
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) MAG274QRF-QD | Asus vg248qe
Case SAMA IM01
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlasterx G6
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech G pro Wireless
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64

This, I had a 2600x + GTX 1070, and while running 3dmark, wasn't more than 350w...

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
just to back up the others wattage claims, this is a reading from my cyberpower UPS in HWinfo64 after a morning of DX9 gaming (Starcraft II/Rimworld)

Under 50W it cant give readings and drops to 0W, which is when my monitor goes blank/screensaver

Mike Messiah

You need a new higher quality UPS no ifs no ands no buts no what ifs no new battery.

You need a UPS that can actually deliver the power it claims to.

All one has to do is check the ratings, Your current Zebronics ZEBU1200 is rated for 30 mins at 100-watts, a Typical APC or Cyberpower where as at the same 1000VA rating they get 50-60 mins.
Shady product, with missing technical specifications, and with ratings that don't even come close to the two most popular brands available in the same performance category.

Even cheaper units from the main tiers offer better internals / battery power / life. This is an example of needing to know what it is your actually buying. Just because the numbers and shit look good on the box doesn't mean squat. Especially in countries/regions where consumer laws are weak.

Put another way your ZEBU1200 may be a 1000VA unit but its specifications indicate its closer to being a 360Watts / 600VA to 480Watts / 800VA unit or there about from what I can find in comparison to a top tier brand. Meaning for your system you need a proper high tier 1000VA unit to power your system and avoid problems. You paid for a cheaper alternative and well that is exactly what you got. You should never pinch pennies on a computer power supply OR a UPS.
Well, i bought it for Rs4000 (approx $55)
How good is the APC Back-UPS 1100VA, 230V, BX1100C-IN . It costs Rs 6500 ($85)

How old is the UPS ?? as the internal battery might be EOL and need replacement.

Batteries don't last forever
2 YEARS OLD

Since your unit is not working properly anyway might as well inspect the battery condition (if you can do so safely) and/or look for any obvious signs of damage to the unit if possible. I had a unit once with a cracked battery (normally sealed) and if I remember correctly the UPS had reported some error code related to an overload.
Battery looks fine, just checked

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
Well, i bought it for Rs4000 (approx $55)
How good is the APC Back-UPS 1100VA, 230V, BX1100C-IN . It costs Rs 6500 ($85)

2 YEARS OLD

Battery looks fine, just checked
At 100watts load its rated to last 1 hours and 15 minutes according to APC, vs the ZEBU1200 at 30 mins under the same load.

Your system under gaming load with monitor included is likely around 300-watts. Which depending on your ANtec PSU (you never gave the actual model) could be pulling around 350-375 watts. At that load level the APC unit should hold out on Battery alone for 10 mins.

Just remember even if the ratings look similar always check the finer details on a UPS. Companies will do just about anything even the top tier brands to cut corners somewhere you likely wouldnt notice. So make sure to check that a battery is included, it has the features you need etc etc. I noticed on amazon.in that many UPS units do not come with a battery. Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:

Mike Messiah

At 100watts load its rated to last 1 hours and 15 minutes according to APC, vs the ZEBU1200 at 30 mins under the same load.

Your system under gaming load with monitor included is likely around 300-watts. Which depending on your ANtec PSU (you never gave the actual model) could be pulling around 350-375 watts. At that load level the APC unit should hold out on Battery alone for 10 mins.

Just remember even if the ratings look similar always check the finer details on a UPS. Companies will do just about anything even the top tier brands to cut corners somewhere you likely wouldnt notice. So make sure to check that a battery is included, it has the features you need etc etc. I noticed on amazon.in that many UPS units do not come with a battery. Just something to keep in mind.
my PSU is Antec VP500PC 80+ with no certification. I hope the APC's transformer in this is better than my Zebronic's transformer . I dont care about backup time. I just want to be able to play heavy games with the mains ON. My current Zebronics UPS starts beeping even with the mains ON because of the Load.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
my PSU is Antec VP500PC 80+ with no certification. I hope the APC's transformer in this is better than my Zebronic's transformer . I dont care about backup time. I just want to be able to play heavy games with the mains ON. My current Zebronics UPS starts beeping even with the mains ON because of the Load.
The APC unit is rated for 660-watts. / 1100 va it should have no troubles.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

I'd place a diesel generator somewhere at this point lol.. I'm not so sure undervolting and all of that is going to make a big difference here. You'd be best served running things on the optimal efficiency curve; after all, if you underclock really far might as well take a laptop and have more certainty + mobility and similar performance... And the laptop won't be beeping at you.

System Name Gaming PC/ EDU PC/ HFS PC
Processor Intel i9-9900KF/ Dual Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Taichi Ultimate/ Dual Asrock X370 Proffesional Gaming
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S/ Arctic Xtreme Freezer/ Ryzen Wraith Prysm RGB
Memory 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 3200/ 32GB Corsair Dominator 3000/ 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra / MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus / EVGA GTX 1060 SC Gaming
Storage Dual 970 EVO Plus 1TB + 6Tb 860 EVO/ 960 EVO 500GB + 18Tb R0/ 840EVO 250Gb + 16Tb R0
Display(s) Samsung 32" U32R590 Curved 3480x2160 / Samsung 32" LC32H711 Curved 2560x1440 Freesync
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830 NV Edition/ Dual Cooler Master 690 Advance II
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 SBX/ Creative X-Fi Titanium Pci-E/ On-board Realtek
Power Supply Triple Corsair Platinum HX850i
Mouse Logitech G7 WL / Logitech G903 Lightspeed / MS BT 8000
Keyboard Dual Logitech G19s
Software Win10 Pro
it's perfectly normal ups to last 10-15min under load, anyway normal ups is designed to save your work and shut down the pc if power outtage occurs and not it's power to last for hours..... If you want hours of work, you need bigger or industrial unit or a generator. They lasts for hours though. and thats why the weight in kg much more and have enormous capacity for power. So don't expect miracles from soho/home ups, which is designed for work about a minutes.