• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Graphical glitch in Word and Outlook (Office 365)

Processor 13900k
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 gaming e wifi
Cooling Fractal Celsius+ S36 Prisma
Memory 32GB GSKILL Trident Z5RK 6000MHZ
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 SuprimX
Display(s) LG Electronics 34GN850-B
Case Fractal Meshify
Power Supply Seasonic 1000w
Any solution to this problem? I'm having exactly the same glitches and they're driving me crazy...
Hi there,

I completely swapped my whole system - new cpu (from 12900k to 13900k), ssd, ram, mainboard, psu, graphicscard (from Rtx 3080ti to Rtx 4090) and the issue is still there. Maybe it is related to the last gen Intel cpus/respective drivers? Or the last gen Nvidia gpus/respective drivers?

I'm completely shure, that this is a software related issue that we as users can't fix.

Do you have simmilar specs?

Hi Chris
Yes, it’s definitely related to the Nvidia-driver. I don’t have the problem when I’m using the internal GPU of my pc. I have a gtx 1080 by the way, so not really next gen…maybe it’s also the combination of OS and GPU. What OS do you have? I’ve the latest insider build of Windows 11.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
As betablocker mentioned, try the iGPU.

As betablocker mentioned, try the iGPU.
But that’s not a solution, just a temporary workaround until Nvidia or Microsoft releases a patch. I’m just not sure whether it’s really a problem with a driver or if it’s my system. Because if it was really driver-related, more people would write about it I assume.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃B550-I Strix
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lone Industries L5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
But that’s not a solution, just a temporary workaround until Nvidia or Microsoft releases a patch. I’m just not sure whether it’s really a problem with a driver or if it’s my system. Because if it was really driver-related, more people would write about it I assume.

It's not just you. I only started having this issue maybe 2-3 months ago, and since then I've clean installed Win 11 (and therefore Office) 2-3 times. On 365 family plan so I'm not sure as to what exactly changed in that time. In that time I've also changed CPUs and swapped boards. I've had my 3070 Ti since like May so it's clearly not that.

I don't have the issue on my 8550U laptop (W11) or my 5700G media PC (W11), so I wouldn't be surprised if it's Nvidia drivers. Affects Word and Onenote for me, I haven't written enough emails in Outlook to tell.

The only thing I can think of is that 22H2 and its Windowed Mode VRR feature are also released in that same period. But it's a lifeline for me in some games, so I'd rather live with the Office artifacting than disable it.

Last edited:
Processor 13900k
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 gaming e wifi
Cooling Fractal Celsius+ S36 Prisma
Memory 32GB GSKILL Trident Z5RK 6000MHZ
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 SuprimX
Display(s) LG Electronics 34GN850-B
Case Fractal Meshify
Power Supply Seasonic 1000w
I really had the same thoughts and I was afraid my system was having severe issues but now after facing the same issues with a completeley new pc (even the ssd and psu are new) I am sure that it has to be software related.
I also posted the problem in the nvidia forums and a staff member of nvidia replied that it seems to be an app error. Unfortunately I dont know which app. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...ighlightglitchesspan-in-microso/?topicPage=7/

To answer your questions regarding windows 10 and 11. I forst had the problems with win 10. Then I switched to win 11 and everthing was fine for like two weeks then the problems occured again.

I really had the same thoughts and I was afraid my system was having severe issues but now after facing the same issues with a completeley new pc (even the ssd and psu are new) I am sure that it has to be software related.
I also posted the problem in the nvidia forums and a staff member of nvidia replied that it seems to be an app error. Unfortunately I dont know which app. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/488790/graphic-span-classhighlightglitchesspan-in-microso/?topicPage=7/

To answer your questions regarding windows 10 and 11. I forst had the problems with win 10. Then I switched to win 11 and everthing was fine for like two weeks then the problems occured again.
It seems to be a combination of Office-Programs and the Nvidia-Driver. I have the latest Office Insider-Build installed but the problem still occurs.

Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
It seems to be a combination of Office-Programs and the Nvidia-Driver. I have the latest Office Insider-Build installed but the problem still occurs.

Leave a message at Nvidia so they can fix this sh!t...

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Samsung Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Home 64
Chris85 has already done that and apparently it didn't help

Maybe because Nvidia thinks that it's an office-problem and that Microsoft should fix it...:rolleyes:

I don't like how MS office feels when you're typing. Like here on the forums for TPU, the typing feels fluid, but in Word it feels delayed, even though type shows up fast. I don't know, maybe it's just how the type pops up in Word that bothers me.

MS seems to be pretty good at mucking things up with their constant GUI changes or how they think constantly readjusting settings/options and moving them makes their programs better. I find their constant changes to be problematic; they either cause glitches/issues or mess with your muscle memory and things take longer to accomplish.

The issue could very well be a problem with MS and how it functions with Nvidia......or could be Nvidia's drivers. I doubt either company will take much heed into it and try to fix it.

I don't like how MS office feels when you're typing. Like here on the forums for TPU, the typing feels fluid, but in Word it feels delayed, even though type shows up fast. I don't know, maybe it's just how the type pops up in Word that bothers me.

MS seems to be pretty good at mucking things up with their constant GUI changes or how they think constantly readjusting settings/options and moving them makes their programs better. I find their constant changes to be problematic; they either cause glitches/issues or mess with your muscle memory and things take longer to accomplish.

The issue could very well be a problem with MS and how it functions with Nvidia......or could be Nvidia's drivers. I doubt either company will take much heed into it and try to fix it.
I agree completely with what you're saying. So that basically leaves us with 2 options: Either switch to another program, e.g. Open Office or live with the issues...

I've found the perfect solution to my problem: I've switched from Word to Libre Office...:clap:
You're going to get many "But MS Office has one feature I need" comments but personally we switched years ago (6 computers in total for both personal + family run small business) and we couldn't be happier. Our biggest concern (file compatibility) turned out to be a non issue when no-one has ever asked for a .DOCX of an invoice, letter, etc, vs a PDF. Aside from the money saved (having to license household vs business separately), it's been strangely liberating to not have to fight constant unwanted UI changes / broken updates every 5 minutes. MS Office peaked between 2010-2016 (or even 2003 if you hate the ribbon UI) and it's been downhill ever since.

Simon M

I have the same problem. Office Word & Excel have size glitch and everything is solved when I disable my Nvidia drivers. I have an eGPU with Nvidia RTX 3060 TI plugged on a Microsoft Surface 8.

dimizu

This works for me as an workaround:
To make Outlook to use a specific graphics card (i.e. use a basic driver so it disables hardware acceleration).

1. Open Graphics Settings
    • Windows 11
      Start> Settings> System> Display> (section) Related Settings> Graphics
    • Windows 10
      Start> Settings> System> Display> (section) Multiple displays> Graphics settings
  2. Select: Desktop app
  3. Use the Browse button to add Outlook.exe (you can use Process Explorer to find the path if it is running or right click on the shortcut and go to properties.)
  4. After you’ve added Outlook, select it from the list and press the Options button to select your GPU.
  5. Use the Power Saving GPU: Microsoft Basic Render Driver to turn off hardware acceleration like you used to be able to do an easier way.
From: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...fice-365/cf352781-d79c-4447-becc-70e8a4d561f1
(The registryhack not works, also with Disable Hardware Acceleration the problem is there. Seems that the problem is beetween Office<->Nvidia (in my case GeForce RTX 3060). Only when I use the internal GPU for problematics programs like Outlook, Word the problem is gone.)

This works for me as an workaround:
To make Outlook to use a specific graphics card (i.e. use a basic driver so it disables hardware acceleration).

1. Open Graphics Settings
    • Windows 11
      Start> Settings> System> Display> (section) Related Settings> Graphics
    • Windows 10
      Start> Settings> System> Display> (section) Multiple displays> Graphics settings
  2. Select: Desktop app
  3. Use the Browse button to add Outlook.exe (you can use Process Explorer to find the path if it is running or right click on the shortcut and go to properties.)
  4. After you’ve added Outlook, select it from the list and press the Options button to select your GPU.
  5. Use the Power Saving GPU: Microsoft Basic Render Driver to turn off hardware acceleration like you used to be able to do an easier way.
From: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...fice-365/cf352781-d79c-4447-becc-70e8a4d561f1
(The registryhack not works, also with Disable Hardware Acceleration the problem is there. Seems that the problem is beetween Office<->Nvidia (in my case GeForce RTX 3060). Only when I use the internal GPU for problematics programs like Outlook, Word the problem is gone.)
This solution helps with the glitches indeed, but since I've applied it, all the Office-Applications are rather sluggish (e.g. typing, scrolling, etc.). So at least for me it's not a real solution.

IgnatioMemo

I have the same issue. Zotac RTX 3080 12GB (Windows 11, nvidia driver 527.56) and same glitches in office 365 / word & outlook (all updates installed). Glitches appear irrespective of resolution / refresh rate / scaling and also on a replacement monitor (4K and 1080p) & with three different cables (DP and HDMI). Glitches are visible on monitor, but not in screenshot (issue was visible on monitor before & after screenshot, it remains broken until I continue typing):

GC_error_2.png

GC_error.png

I have never encountered any display artifacts outside of office. Gaming performance is as expected and system is totally stable (furmark + prime95 can run simultaneously for hours without issue, never had a BSOD so far).

Same experience as Betablocker with the solution of dimizu: Keeping monitor connected to the RTX 3080 but setting office to use the iGPU gets rid of the artifacts but results in sluggish / unusable performance.

Everything is fine if I connect my monitor to the iGPU of my processor (i7-12700) via the DP port on my mainboard. Obviously not an ideal solution to switch cables around between office work and gaming.

I was about to RMA the GPU as I believed that issues that do not appear on a screenshot but do appear on monitor would have to be hardware related. But looks like that would not help.

Obviously not an ideal solution to switch cables around between office work and gaming.
Or get a second monitor connected to the motherboard on the iGPU, it shouldn't be like that, but if it's somewhat a solution.

Or get a second monitor connected to the motherboard on the iGPU, it shouldn't be like that, but if it's somewhat a solution.
Seriously? Getting a second monitor because of these glitches is somewhat a solution? The only solution I see is if either MS or Nvidia release a patch for this problem.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I'm seeing all this mention of "new hardware! new PC! same problem!" but no mention of the actual monitors??

In the Nvidia control panel, what does your settings look like?

Being on anything other than RGB in the color format can cause all sorts of artifacting and issues, and certain high refresh rate displays (samsungs new models) can have issues with scanlines - this results in weird visual patters on screen that could be appearing and distorting text

1670826966790.png

^This is from my 4K 70Hz display, but those settings are the bottom here are what matter - the colour depth can be 8/10/12 depending on your display.

Edit: This is what scanlines look like, where dots as part of a letter or word 'vanish' - on these displays changes in brightness make them come and go
1670827210065.png

These are examples on a solid colour block
1670827262803.png

There could be a problem with office and display scaling on some drivers, but it's pure guesswork without knowing what resolutions, refresh rates and scaling settings people are using.

IgnatioMemo

I'm seeing all this mention of "new hardware! new PC! same problem!" but no mention of the actual monitors??

In the Nvidia control panel, what does your settings look like?

Being on anything other than RGB in the color format can cause all sorts of artifacting and issues, and certain high refresh rate displays (samsungs new models) can have issues with scanlines - this results in weird visual patters on screen that could be appearing and distorting text

View attachment 274101

^This is from my 4K 70Hz display, but those settings are the bottom here are what matter - the colour depth can be 8/10/12 depending on your display.

Edit: This is what scanlines look like, where dots as part of a letter or word 'vanish' - on these displays changes in brightness make them come and go
View attachment 274102

These are examples on a solid colour block
View attachment 274103

There could be a problem with office and display scaling on some drivers, but it's pure guesswork without knowing what resolutions, refresh rates and scaling settings people are using.

The issue appears independent of the monitor used. As my main monitor, I use a 27" Sony Inzone M9. It is set to 4k resolution / 144Hz, 10bit, RGB (which are the default color settings for me). Windows is set to 150% scaling. The issue remains independent of the resolution / refresh rate / bit depth / scaling and independent of the used cable (3 different cables, 1 DP, 2 HDMI). I also tried my previous monitor (with 100% scaling), which is a 23" Viewsonic Full HD monitor connected via HDMI (it does not have DP) - the issue remains identical. Also, the issue is independent of the font size (and font type) that I use in Word / the zoom-factor in Word. So I can have letters that are 10cm high on the monitor with the same artifact as letters that are mere millimeters high. Thus I am certain that it is not due to scanlines. Also, scanlines issues should also appear if using the iGPU and with that everything is fine. The issue exclusively appears in MS Office Word and Outlook.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
The issue appears independent of the monitor used. As my main monitor, I use a 27" Sony Inzone M9. It is set to 4k resolution / 144Hz, 10bit, RGB (which are the default color settings for me). Windows is set to 150% scaling. The issue remains independent of the resolution / refresh rate / bit depth / scaling and independent of the used cable (3 different cables, 1 DP, 2 HDMI). I also tried my previous monitor (with 100% scaling), which is a 23" Viewsonic Full HD monitor connected via HDMI (it does not have DP) - the issue remains identical. Also, the issue is independent of the font size (and font type) that I use in Word / the zoom-factor in Word. So I can have letters that are 10cm high on the monitor with the same artifact as letters that are mere millimeters high. Thus I am certain that it is not due to scanlines. Also, scanlines issues should also appear if using the iGPU and with that everything is fine. The issue exclusively appears in MS Office Word and Outlook.
Thank you.
Some people comment in others threads say "me too" and then have entirely different problems, with entirely different setups and it's a nightmare to deal with.

With your info? It's a word/office issue. It's not hardware.
It may be something driver related, or graphical settings related (DPI settings, forced antialising/defaults in drivers, etc)

Does the issue change if you alter the font of the text?
Can you do an nvidia driver clean install?
Do you have all the latest updates for windows and office?

Thank you.
Some people comment in others threads say "me too" and then have entirely different problems, with entirely different setups and it's a nightmare to deal with.

With your info? It's a word/office issue. It's not hardware.
It may be something driver related, or graphical settings related (DPI settings, forced antialising/defaults in drivers, etc)

Does the issue change if you alter the font of the text?
Can you do an nvidia driver clean install?
Do you have all the latest updates for windows and office?
I think we all know by now that it’s an office issue, otherwise the glitches would appear in other apps as well. More precisely it’s a combination of Nvidia‘s driver and the office apps. I for my part have done several clean driver installations and I’ve all the latest updates installed. Nothing has helped so far. What I still don’t get is why not more people are reporting about this issue. Because everybody with a Nvidia gpu who is using Office should have the same issues.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I think we all know by now that it’s an office issue, otherwise the glitches would appear in other apps as well. More precisely it’s a combination of Nvidia‘s driver and the office apps. I for my part have done several clean driver installations and I’ve all the latest updates installed. Nothing has helped so far. What I still don’t get is why not more people are reporting about this issue. Because everybody with a Nvidia gpu who is using Office should have the same issues.
It's worth narrowing things down, and not everyone has been giving all their information.
I have no idea what GPU you have, you're not the OP of the thread, haven't filled out your system-specs dropdown and aren't the person who gave the details three posts ago

Do you belong here discussing the issue? absolutely!
But also, understand that a dozen people saying "me too" without clarifying things doesn't help clear things up

Hence the suggestions about changing DPI to 100% and rebooting, nvidia driver settings and so on - theres something in common but without people giving proper accounts of things we'll never find out what's in common between your systems.

Office is rendered like a 3D program, so forcing 3D settings on like antialising or resolution scaling could definitely screw with things
I've seen people get 1080p displays and force their desktop resolution to 4K with DSR and then complain text wasn't clear