• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Graphics cards shuts down while playing games

elpaM

Hello guys,

First of all, I would just like to say, this is my first thread here, I was watching it quite a lot anonymously and I did a lot of troubleshooting from forums before, but this time, i cant seem to be able to help myself.

Since today morning, my graphics card seems to be crashing while playing games. What happens is, that I get a black screen with no signal, but sound doesnt loop or anything. Also fans start going like crazy. The only thing I can do from there is reset pc manually. I checked Windows Event Viewer, but the only event that shows there is this one: (The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.) which i would say is due to manual reboot of pc. Yesterday I played games just fine, there was no power outage/surge in the area, no updates to either windows or drivers during night. Tried different games (Mass Effect Andromeda, F1 2019...) and seems to be happening in all of them after approximately 5 minutes. I ran 3DMark TimeSpy and Port Royale, both went through fine, also did Port Royale Stress Test with default settings and passed on that as well. I did clean drivers with DDU and installed them back manually, but that didnt help. I already had once issues with gpu in this pc, and it had to be replaced back then, but at that time, the gpu lasted like 3 days. This started happening after year and a half, so I wanted to try a bit more of troubleshooting, before I go through the process of getting it replaced...

I attached Sensor Log from GPU-Z from when it happens, as well as GPU-Z screenshot of first page and pc specs taken from Steam (I was lazy to write it down myself, lol).

I put it in general hardware, because I know it might also be coming from PSU or MB...

Thanks for the answers.

Attachments

• GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt
    269.8 KB · Views: 220
  • GPU-Z.jpg
    GPU-Z.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 486
  • PC Specs.TXT
    1.8 KB · Views: 120
System Name EventHorizon
Processor Intel® Core™ Processor i9-13900KF 8P/16 + 16E 3.00GHz [Turbo 5.7GHz] 36MB Cache LGA1700
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P
Cooling CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler
Memory 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB)
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB
Storage 2TB WD BLACK SN850X (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6600 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1200/110
Display(s) LG 34''
Case CyberPowerPC HYTE Y60 Dual Chamber Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Panoramic View Tempered Glass + 2x120mm
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix w/Alan Finote mod for Windows 11
Power Supply High Power 1300W 80+ GOLD Full Modular w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600 wired
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7 TKL red Switch
Software Win 11 Pro
Do these attachments reflect temps while playing a game or at idle?

elpaM

The Sensor Log was from when I was playing Mass Effect Andromeda. I can also post a couple of logs, from when I ran the 3DMark tests. In all case, I launched gpu-z first and then the game/3dmark test.

System Name EventHorizon
Processor Intel® Core™ Processor i9-13900KF 8P/16 + 16E 3.00GHz [Turbo 5.7GHz] 36MB Cache LGA1700
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P
Cooling CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler
Memory 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB)
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB
Storage 2TB WD BLACK SN850X (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6600 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1200/110
Display(s) LG 34''
Case CyberPowerPC HYTE Y60 Dual Chamber Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Panoramic View Tempered Glass + 2x120mm
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix w/Alan Finote mod for Windows 11
Power Supply High Power 1300W 80+ GOLD Full Modular w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600 wired
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7 TKL red Switch
Software Win 11 Pro
I was suspecting a temp issue but your temps are fine. I would RMA it.

elpaM

Yeah, I still have work for today, so I can only RMA tomorrow, so I was thinking maybe someone would have tips that I could try. Like on some games I used to get higher temps than these and it would still run just fine. Also I forgot to mention, that I never overclocked or underclocked this gpu. Never felt the need to do so.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Your CPU and GPU temperatures almost hit 80c. Possibilities are: overheating, bad PSU, bad graphics card.

Uninstall all display drivers and then perform a cleanup with Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from safe mode.

Take the PC outside, open the case, and remove all the dust with air blower or hair dryer with a cold setting.

Clean all fans with a toothbrush. Don't forget about the PSU's fan.

Download and install the latest drivers from Nvidia's website.

If you still get black screens, try previous driver, another display cable, and try the card in another PC or plug a different PSU.

elpaM

Thanks for the tips, gonna try it now, since I work from home and as I mentioned, I can only do RMA tomorrow, will update you as soon as I have results. I cant really try it with different rig, so I will try to clean it and lets hope everything is gonna go back to normal.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
There is no point to RMA anything unil you figure out which component is failing.

Unstable power supply can cause crashes, shut downs and black screens during high load use.

Last edited: