• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Graphics glitches and Crashes

Jaz

Hi,

I built a PC nearly two months ago.
It was working fine for about a month.

However, for... about a month, I've been getting graphics glitches(Colours distorting madly, fuzziness, black blocks) and random errors(programs crashing). First of all, for a few weeks, I was only getting glitches when playing a certain game, Halo. But this was every time I played the game. Then I also started getting glitches in Batman Arkham City occassionally(though only occassionally). If I ever got glitches, any programs open would begin to crash and then the PC would crash entirely.
I also had glitches in VLC Media Player IF I played network videos. DVDs work most of the time strangely(though audio stops working sometimes) (This leads me to the theory that my harddrive might be corrupted)

The Witcher 1 and 2 as well as Team Fortress 2 and Need for Speed World have worked flawlessly up until almost a week ago. Last week, I started getting glitches on EVERYTHING. I could browse the internet fine unless I watched videos or played any web games up until a couple of days ago. Now, just opening Google Chrome or any other program glitches out the computer.
The only program that strangely opens perfectly well is AVG Internet Security. AI Suite also opens usually(crashes sometimes though).

I've run the memory diagnostic tool and I've run AVG Tune-Up diagnostics.
I've also tried to run a harddrive error scan but it froze at 29%(which is more evidence towards harddrive corruption, but read on)

The memory diagnostic tool did find errors. Of course, it's the Windows memory diagnostic tool and it didn't actually tell me what the errors are. It just told me there are errors.
So I bought new RAM seeing as it's quite cheap and I figured if that is the issue and new RAM fixes it, I can send my original RAM back on warranty and I'd have 8GB.
Unfortunately, I tried the RAM today and the issues remain. And it seems they're worse, though that might just be because the issue is getting worse anyway.
But the biggest problem to look at from this test is that the memory diagnostic tool did find errors with both memory DIMMs. Hoping it's not a faulty motherboard. Apparently Asus Tech Support and returns service is extremely poor.
Also, the RAM error light does flash whenever I turn the PC on. However, it's apparently supposed to flash when the PC is first turned on to show that the RAM has power. Not sure whether it's supposed to flash again when I go into BIOS though but it does turn off when Windows boots up.

I've also used HWMonitor to check voltages and temperatures. Everything looks fine. Voltages are stable and temperatures rarely, if ever, go above 50 degrees.

I have four main suspicions now(in order of most likely/least hopeful in my opinion)
1. Harddrive corruption.
2. Both DIMMs might have been faulty(doubtful but eh)
3. Faulty graphics card. (Kinda my most hopeful but not as likely)
4. Faulty motherboard.

I should probably also mention that I've reinstalled Windows twice via the in-built Reset tool.

Specs:
Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
Asus M5A97 R2.0
AMD Phenom II X4 965
Corsair XMS3 1600MHz (4GB, single stick)
Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT 1GB DDR2 (Not sure of sub-brand. It's from another PC)
Western Digital 250GB SATA 1 HDD (Not sure of specifics. Again, from another PC)

(Both the 9500 GT and the HDD were working fine in the PCs I took them from)

Oh and also, I've tested the GPU in another PC and it worked fine. I also tested another GPU in my PC and it still didn't work(And yes, that GPU works perfectly fine in another PC). So unlikely that it's a GPU issue, even if I have been really hopeful that it is a GPU issue since the start as I want to buy a new GPU anyway and I don't really want to have to buy other new components while saving up for the GPU.

I really want to fix the issue as I don't have much money and don't much want to buy another new PC. (I kinda need a PC of my own because of the noise I can hear from where my dad's PC is. I have bad enough headaches already)

If I've cluttered everything a bit too much(wasn't exactly sure how to structure all the information. I've done a lot of tests), just say so.

E: I forgot to mention that I've also tried rolling back graphics drivers to the previous version and the version before that. (304 and 296 I believe)

Last edited:
System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
Usually artifacting is a GPU problem. Did you try the card in another slot on the original board?

Jaz

I can't believe I didn't think to try moving the graphics card to the other port.

However, no, there are still issues with the GPU in the other port.

Also, ran memory diagnostic tool again with the new RAM and it didn't find any errors.

Oh and I've added OS to specs. Forgot to mention the OS, though I doubt it matters much as I did google for anyone else with issues and nothing came up. And it has been (over two months I think) since release.

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06
It would be a good idea to upgrade from that 9500GT anyway.

Jaz

Surely the GPU working in the other PC and the other GPU working in the other PC but not my PC suggests that it's not a GPU issue?

I want to upgrade my GPU anyway, but not really immediately. Saving up for a good GPU.

(And why does the validation question 'Who makes the iPhone?' not accept iApple? The system just has no humour')

System Name Zim
Processor AMD FX-6300
Motherboard GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 2.0)
Cooling AMD Stock with heat pipes
Memory Corsair CMV8GX3M2A1333C9 2x 8GB Kit DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti FPB
Storage Western Digital WD RE4 1TB - Main
Display(s) HP LP2465 1920x1200
Case COOLMAX CS-480
Audio Device(s) Intergrated VIA VT2021
Power Supply hec X-Power Pro 600
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
If you have another PC you can use to test components go ahead and do that. Hard Drive, PSU and Video card. Then you will know it's the motherboard or a damaged CPU. Damaged CPU's are rare, I just had to RMA my Phenom II because it had a bad memory controller. But likely your motherboard or PSU are faulty.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
sounds like one of the following
power supply check this first
motherboard failing
Cpu is damaged somehow (exceedingly rare but does happen)
the random glitches point to some kind of hardware fault and since the memtest is displaying spartatic errors that would lean toward a cpu or board fault(or maby the new memory you bought just happens to be bad) you also need to run http://www.memtest86.com/
for at least 8H to be sure
what is the make of the motherboard and was the cpu overclocked

Reactions: Jaz
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I can't believe I didn't think to try moving the graphics card to the other port.

However, no, there are still issues with the GPU in the other port.

Also, ran memory diagnostic tool again with the new RAM and it didn't find any errors.

Oh and I've added OS to specs. Forgot to mention the OS, though I doubt it matters much as I did google for anyone else with issues and nothing came up. And it has been (over two months I think) since release.
Another diagnostic tool is downclocking. Clock the gpu down plus its mem by 100-200hz check for artefacts. Then drop cpu speed by 500hz and recheck the lower speed should aleviate it in one of them and isolate the edgy part

Jaz

Another diagnostic tool is downclocking. Clock the gpu down plus its mem by 100-200hz check for artefacts. Then drop cpu speed by 500hz and recheck the lower speed should aleviate it in one of them and isolate the edgy part

I used the same tool for both tests on each RAM stick but... that sounds like a good test. I'll try it as soon as memtest86 has finished. :)

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Forgot to mention the OS, though I doubt it matters much as I did google for anyone else with issues and nothing came up.

How many people do you really think are running a 9500GT on W8 though? Can you borrow a more up to date GPU from a friend or relative and try it on your new rig?

Also, did you remember to install ALL drivers, including DirectX, MB chipset, audio, and even check for MB BIOS update?

Jaz

How many people do you really think are running a 9500GT on W8 though? Can you borrow a more up to date GPU from a friend or relative and try it on your new rig?

Also, did you remember to install ALL drivers, including DirectX, MB chipset, audio, and even check for MB BIOS update?

No, unfortunately, I'm the only gaming fanatic I know irl so I don't know anyone who has a more up to date GPU. I suppose if I get enough money next week(most likely, depends whether I visit family), I could just buy a new GPU and see if it works. After running memtest86 for over 15 hours, I'm pretty sure my motherboard isn't planning to break components. :/

And yes, I've installed all drivers. And since this is a very recent MB(It was released this year I believe, just before Windows 8 was released. It's W8 ready), I doubt a BIOS update's needed. If I can't find the issue soon though, I guess I could try a BIOS update. I know that it's dangerous though so I've been trying to avoid attempting. Though Asus updated their warranty last year so that failed BIOS flashes don't void the warranty, I don't much look forward to actually contacting Asus support considering all of the bad reviews. Asus customer support has gotten below average ratings. Apparently it can take months to get replacements on warranty.

Oh and memtest86 found no errors after over 15 hours. So not the RAM I guess.

Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Just checked and that MB has not only had 8 BIOS updates, over half of them are said to improve system stability. Usually MB BIOS updates are to support new CPUs coming out and such. Now and then you see ones to improve stability, but usually not most of the ones released are. It's also very possible that many if not most of those stability updates were to make it more compatible with W8. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A97/#download

Also, safe BIOS flashing is very easy with ASUS if you use their EZ Flash 2 tool that's built into the BIOS itself.

Jaz

Okay, I've just updated the BIOS. Surprisingly worked despite the PC being... to say the least, unstable. Only took about 5 seconds and had no issues during the update.

I'm about to test it.

The BIOS update's certainly a big update from whichever version I had before though. There's about 20 or so new options in the BIOS setup.

E: No issues so far. Haven't started gaming but applications are actually... well, opening. Good sign. I decided before I do anything else I should run another harddrive diagnostic, which I stupidly keep forgetting to do. The disk is pretty much always at 100% performance, and when applications crash, if I can get task manager open at all, it goes to 0% which is a bit suspicious.

E2: Either BIOS update or some change in BIOS settings seems to have fixed it. Though I haven't tested any games thoroughly yet, no issues for about 2 hours now and The Witcher 2 at least goes to the main menu with no problems. Earlier, it was crashing as soon as I tried to start it up.
Doing work atm though, so I'll test some games tomorrow and post again with results.

Thank you everyone for the help. Obviously not sure if the BIOS update is a definite fix, but it seems like it so far.

E3: Well Shogun Total War 2 works now. But only in DirectX 9 mode. The 9500 GT is a DX10 card, but it seems it just won't work with DirectX 10. I'm pretty sure I have DirectX 10 installed.
Trying to run in DX10 mode just crashes the game.
I've seen no glitches though.

So only thing that I can really do to solve DX10 issues is buy a new GPU. So I guess I'll wait until next weekend.

Last edited:
Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK

Jaz

Okay, well, my PC's been working fine since yesterday, apart from DirectX 10 not working. (Haven't got Metro installed anymore and haven't got enough HDD space to reinstall it)

Except that Shogun Total War 2 crashed twice. Not a big deal at all considering that I'd been playing it for hours before it crashed.

But I figured since there might possibly still be an issue, I should check everything again.

And it seems I might have wrong about one of the voltages. Not sure about the real minimums of this power supply, but a quick google brings up a minimum of 3.135v for the 3.3v rail. According to Hardware monitor, my 3.3V rail is at 3.088. AVG came up with a warning just a few minutes ago about it too, just after I'd checked.

E: Beginning to gradually get issues again.
The Witcher 2 won't start at all. I can go to the installation directory and open the launcher as administrator but clicking start game just reopens the launcher.
And one of my xfire chat windows had a purple and black outline around it randomly. Closing and reopening it solved it.

I'm worried that it might be the HDD. Though the diagnostic found no errors, surely nothing else having errors would cause a game to be corrupted? I haven't played the game much at all since fixing my PC and when I have played it, there have been no graphics issues.

Last edited:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Okay, well, my PC's been working fine since yesterday, apart from DirectX 10 not working. (Haven't got Metro installed anymore and haven't got enough HDD space to reinstall it)

Except that Shogun Total War 2 crashed twice. Not a big deal at all considering that I'd been playing it for hours before it crashed.

But I figured since there might possibly still be an issue, I should check everything again.

And it seems I might have wrong about one of the voltages. Not sure about the real minimums of this power supply, but a quick google brings up a minimum of 3.135v for the 3.3v rail. According to Hardware monitor, my 3.3V rail is at 3.088. AVG came up with a warning just a few minutes ago about it too, just after I'd checked.

E: Beginning to gradually get issues again.
The Witcher 2 won't start at all. I can go to the installation directory and open the launcher as administrator but clicking start game just reopens the launcher.
And one of my xfire chat windows had a purple and black outline around it randomly. Closing and reopening it solved it.

I'm worried that it might be the HDD. Though the diagnostic found no errors, surely nothing else having errors would cause a game to be corrupted? I haven't played the game much at all since fixing my PC and when I have played it, there have been no graphics issues.
software sensors are rarely worth trusting and the 3.3v does not do anything
you have bigger problems then a hard-drive I am betting that either the Power supply or motherboard is on its way out
a corrupt hard drive WILL NOT cause any of the issues you have experienced
if you are concerned about the hard drive back up your data just in case

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Since the BIOS update made a big difference and was at first overlooked and assumed not an issue, I have to wonder if there's still some software issues lingering. Never take updates for granted, be they for the OS, MB or any other component.

Jaz

Since the BIOS update made a big difference and was at first overlooked and assumed not an issue, I have to wonder if there's still some software issues lingering. Never take updates for granted, be they for the OS, MB or any other component.

Yeah, I highly regret doubting the BIOS update.

I'm not sure about any software issues at the moment. I'm worried there might still be a software issue but I've already made sure DirectX is properly installed and all drivers are correctly installed.

Was wrong on the Witcher 2 issue though. Turns out AVG was blocking it for some reason, even though it never had before. Fixed it now by disabling automatic filtering and allowing myself to choose whether to block applications. Not sure if the same issue could possibly apply to Shogun Total War 2's DirectX 10 option though. It still doesn't work.
Also doesn't explain the slight graphics issue. Though it hasn't appeared since then, it's still bad news as there might still be an issue that has yet to appear in it's worst form. It's not an issue I'd personally expect to just appear randomly and then disappear for ever more.
Learnt from the BIOS update to not make conclusions of my own and avoid certain possible causes of issues though. So just going to say I'm not sure of any of it. :/

Also, in case it might help, I've attached a screenshot of all of the programs I have installed right now. Not sure I really like the idea of having more than one version of Visual C++, but Steam automatically installs it and I can't do much about that.

Oh and I forgot, if it might be useful to know concerning the graphics, I'm using HDMI on a 1360x768. It works fine but I've been doubtful about the 9500 GT's support of HDMI. It's a recent HDMI cable I believe and the 9500 GT is quite old.

Attachments

• Programs1.png
    Programs1.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 368

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Yeah, I highly regret doubting the BIOS update.

I'm not sure about any software issues at the moment. I'm worried there might still be a software issue but I've already made sure DirectX is properly installed and all drivers are correctly installed.

Was wrong on the Witcher 2 issue though. Turns out AVG was blocking it for some reason, even though it never had before. Fixed it now by disabling automatic filtering and allowing myself to choose whether to block applications. Not sure if the same issue could possibly apply to Shogun Total War 2's DirectX 10 option though. It still doesn't work.
Also doesn't explain the slight graphics issue. Though it hasn't appeared since then, it's still bad news as there might still be an issue that has yet to appear in it's worst form. It's not an issue I'd personally expect to just appear randomly and then disappear for ever more.
Learnt from the BIOS update to not make conclusions of my own and avoid certain possible causes of issues though. So just going to say I'm not sure of any of it. :/

Also, in case it might help, I've attached a screenshot of all of the programs I have installed right now. Not sure I really like the idea of having more than one version of Visual C++, but Steam automatically installs it and I can't do much about that.

Oh and I forgot, if it might be useful to know concerning the graphics, I'm using HDMI on a 1360x768. It works fine but I've been doubtful about the 9500 GT's support of HDMI. It's a recent HDMI cable I believe and the 9500 GT is quite old.

did you ever run a extended memtest or test the power supply
and AVG is terrible nowadays use MSE

Jaz

Yes, I did run the extended memtest. For over 15 hours. Found no errors.

Thinking it might be a software issue again as it's only DirectX 10 on Shogun Total War 2 that doesn't work full stop. But can't find anything that could be the issue. Got all drivers installed, got DirectX properly installed, etc.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
sounds like one of the following
power supply check this first
motherboard failing
Cpu is damaged somehow (exceedingly rare but does happen)
the random glitches point to some kind of hardware fault and since the memtest is displaying spartatic errors that would lean toward a cpu or board fault(or maby the new memory you bought just happens to be bad) you also need to run http://www.memtest86.com/
for at least 8H to be sure
what is the make of the motherboard and was the cpu overclocked

Or it could just be a bad driver.

Jaz how do you install your drivers man?

Jaz

Or it could just be a bad driver.

Jaz how do you install your drivers man?

I installed the Nvidia drivers using the installer and I believe I used the Express Install last time.
I've tried a clean install before though.

I installed the Realtek drivers using the motherboard's DVD installers using recommended settings.

Windows 8 comes with all the drivers anyway though so any installs I did were really just updates.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
I installed the Nvidia drivers using the installer and I believe I used the Express Install last time.
I've tried a clean install before though.

I installed the Realtek drivers using the motherboard's DVD installers using recommended settings.

Windows 8 comes with all the drivers anyway though so any installs I did were really just updates.

That card is awfully old and you are running windows 8 now? When was the last time your card ran ok?

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
bad drivers don't cause random app crashes
issues starting out of the blue indicate a hardware fault not a software fault

TheMailMan78

Big Member
bad drivers don't cause random app crashes
issues starting out of the blue indicate a hardware fault not a software fault

Ive had drivers cause BSOD and app crash. More then once.