• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Great success thanks 2 u - still need a little help please

D

Deleted member 74752

^ That, plus if you have a Vista disk I have found it is by far the best one to use to ready a hdd when problems arise.

when you boot the disc and get to where it asks for the setup onto a drive, there is a way to key up an advanced menu where you can manually format the drive, then install the OS. See if that helps.

Thanks sneekypeet - Yes, in Win7 set-up, I got there and had a few choices one of them being NEW and one being FORMAT. NEW was greyed out so I had to chose Format and after about 10 seconds I got the same "Setup unable to create a new system partition" message...

:confused:

^ That, plus if you have a Vista disk I have found it is by far the best one to use to ready a hdd when problems arise.

Thanks ricksss69 - I only have an XP upgrade cd and the win 7 upgrade cd. Do you think I should try the xp cd? Then after it installs (if it does) come back and install win 7? I guess the big thing here is getting the hard drive to be partitioned by the win 7 upgrade disk which does not seem to be working...so would the xp disk do the job?

:wtf:

I do have another HD with this win7 upgrade installed on it. Would placing this in my mobo work? If so, would I have to plug this HD into sata1, with the second 1.5 new blank hd in sata2, and my cd/dvd player in sata3 or does the mobo sata sequence not matter?

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Thanks sneekypeet - Yes, in Win7 set-up, I got there and had a few choices one of them being NEW and one being FORMAT. NEW was greyed out so I had to chose Format and after about 10 seconds I got the same "Setup unable to create a new system partition" message...

Shouldn't even need to do either new nor format. Just click on the disk and choose next. It "SHOULD" do all the work for you.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
if 7 is an update, yes you need a real OS to start from, sorry.

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10

Didn't catch that!! There is a work-around but unsure of the legality.

I do have another HD with this win7 upgrade installed on it. Would placing this in my mobo work? If so, would I have to plug this HD into sata1, with the second 1.5 new blank hd in sata2, and my cd/dvd player in sata3 or does the mobo sata sequence not matter?

It would work, and you would just have to select that drive in the BIOS in the boot priority menu. Like the peet says, if 7 is update, I believe you need a replacement OS on the drive.

qamulek

In Win7 installer try delete the partition so the HDD is in a raw format, then select "new" partition(or w/e it is for win7 installer).

Oh crap win7 upgrade? I know from experience that Windows XP upgrade absolutely would not continue unless you either had a previous version of windows installed or a previous windows install CD. Try to do an install of winXp without connecting it to the internet, immediately shut down after first boot, then install win7.

I do have another HD with this win7 upgrade installed on it. Would placing this in my mobo work?
Try it. I bet it will install over the old win7 HDD, but I don't know if it will install onto the new 1.5Gb HDD without first installing winXp. Just try it and see.

Edit: LOL@ the x4 "oh crap its an upgrade? ya need a real os installed first"

Shouldn't even need to do either new nor format. Just click on the disk and choose next. It "SHOULD" do all the work for you.

Thanks JrRacinFan - But that option "Next" is greyed out. Is it a timing thing? When I click on advanced options at this juncture, should I walk away for a while and come back to see if it becomes "ungreyed out"? The other choices are not greyed out, i.e. "Format" and a couple of others...

Thanks sneekypeet - I couldn't remember which full os's I had but I just checked and I have a full version of Win NT followed by a Win XP upgrade and then a Win 7 upgrade. So I will start with booting up on the NT disk.

Thanks

In Win7 installer try delete the partition so the HDD is in a raw format, then select "new" partition(or w/e it is for win7 installer).

Oh crap win7 upgrade? I know from experience that Windows XP upgrade absolutely would not continue unless you either had a previous version of windows installed or a previous windows install CD. Try to do an install of winXp without connecting it to the internet, immediately shut down after first boot, then install win7.

Try it. I bet it will install over the old win7 HDD, but I don't know if it will install onto the new 1.5Gb HDD without first installing winXp. Just try it and see.

Edit: LOL@ the x4 "oh crap its an upgrade? ya need a real os installed first"

Thanks gamulek - I will give this a try before resorting to booting up with Win NT (My only full version cd).

:rockout:

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
Thanks gamulek - I will give this a try before resorting to booting up with Win NT (My only full version cd).

You probably wont be able to load Win NT on a system that new, it wont recognise the hardware and ram size, hdd size etc.

I have an odd question on something please - If I have two h-drives, one has win 7 on it with my files from a previous set-up, and the other is my new empty h-drive, why won't my new build setup and BIOS recognize the h-drive with win 7 on it and thus allow me to avoid a reinstall of the win 7 os?

You probably wont be able to load Win NT on a system that new, it wont recognise the hardware and ram size, hdd size etc.

SO I may have to bite the bullet and buy a win 7 full version? I don;t mind as I have always upgraded since Win NT. But will buying the full version allow me to get past this partition block (should your suggestions/tips above in this thread not work out)?

Where can I get a good price on Win 7 full version and could I get it at a store today, i.e., best buy, office max, directron, microcenter, or frys?

streetfighter 2

I have an odd question on something please - If I have two h-drives, one has win 7 on it with my files from a previous set-up, and the other is my new empty h-drive, why won't my new build setup and BIOS recognize the h-drive with win 7 on it and thus allow me to avoid a reinstall of the win 7 os?

To thin out the terminology please refer to "h-drives" as HDs (Hard Drives) or HDDs (Hard Disk Drives). Thanks.

Your system will recognize the HD with win7 on it but it might not boot correctly off that drive. There are some differences in the core files of Windows which vary according to the CPU and mobo you're using (which is mostly unrelated to post-install drivers). The aforementioned files may prevent Win7 from communicating with your hardware and result in the computer freezing, restarting or throwing an unrecoverable error during boot.

You can attempt to boot using the drive with win7 already on it (and it may work) but I strongly recommend doing a clean install for optimal performance.

SO I may have to bite the bullet and buy a win 7 full version? I don;t mind as I have always upgraded since Win NT. But will buying the full version allow me to get past this partition block (should your suggestions/tips above in this thread not work out)?

Where can I get a good price on Win 7 full version and could I get it at a store today, i.e., best buy, office max, directron, microcenter, or frys?

I'd highly recommend trying the method described on the follow link before you throw away your money:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/win...-7-download-links-just-like-vista-before.html

Also there are lots of ways to mess with the Win7 discs depending on how resilient you are.

Last edited:
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
or you could just download XP and install that to upgrade being as you wont be using it anyway I see no issues with doing this. (I am not a lawyer though so..... :p )

To thin out the terminology please refer to "h-drives" as HDs (Hard Drives) or HDDs (Hard Disk Drives). Thanks.

Your system will recognize the HD with win7 on it but it might not boot correctly off that drive. There are some differences in the core files of Windows which vary according to the CPU and mobo you're using (which is mostly unrelated to post-install drivers). The aforementioned files may prevent Win7 from communicating with your hardware and result in the computer freezing, restarting or throwing an unrecoverable error during boot.

You can attempt to boot using the drive with win7 already on it (and it may work) but I strongly recommend doing a clean install for optimal performance.

I'd highly recommend trying the method described on the follow link before you throw away your money:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/win...-7-download-links-just-like-vista-before.html

Also there are lots of ways to mess with the Win7 discs depending on how resilient you are.

Thanks streetfighter 3 -This is pretty new to me but I am willing to try it. So all I need is to download and then use the key extraction program on my current computer (the one I am using right now to converse with you online) to extract the factory win 7 key from this computer and save it to a thumb drive or cd. Then follow the instructions in the link you provided via downloading the three files and then creating an iso file. Is this legal and is there a fee or cost for these files? Following the instructions closely will provide me with a a full version of Win 7 that will allow me to get past the partition block I am stuck on right now using the Win 7 upgrade disk...

Thanks

Actually Directron down the road has an OEM 64 bit full version for $98. I'm thinking of just making the purchase so that I can save some time plus have a much newer full version on hand (bye bye WIn NT) fo future upgrades, builds, etc....

Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
A good idea if you don't mind paying for it again, and if you haven't used the upgrade just sell it on here or ebay! :toast:

Good luck man!!

A good idea if you don't mind paying for it again, and if you haven't used the upgrade just sell it on here or ebay! :toast:

Good luck man!!

Thanks NdMk2o1o - I guess my only question left please is will the full version get me past the partition block? Do you know by chance?

Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
There shouldn't be any issues with an OEM copy, let us know how it goes.

Yep - Took one of your suggestions and deleted the partition and it worked...sort of...windows installed but then the key I used from the upgrade would not work....so I have two choices....extract the key from one of the HP systems I have and try to use it...or buy the full version for $98....

Thanks again for all your help as I am pretty much close to up and running from pretty much disaster mode two weeks ago!

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
wait, couldn't you clone your old drive to your new drive, then try to reinstall win 7 on it? Would save you the 100 bucks :p I'd go through the trouble to save 100$ if I were you, just buy the full version of Windows 8 when it comes out lol

EDIT: nvm, so it installed? all you need is the key? is there no ey with the upgrade version?

streetfighter 2

Thanks streetfighter 3 -This is pretty new to me but I am willing to try it. So all I need is to download and then use the key extraction program on my current computer (the one I am using right now to converse with you online) to extract the factory win 7 key from this computer and save it to a thumb drive or cd. Then follow the instructions in the link you provided via downloading the three files and then creating an iso file. Is this legal and is there a fee or cost for these files? Following the instructions closely will provide me with a a full version of Win 7 that will allow me to get past the partition block I am stuck on right now using the Win 7 upgrade disk...

Thanks

It's completely legal and free provided you already own a license. The files are direct from Microsuck. What matters is that your key works for the version of the win7 installer you download. I'm not sure if your key is specific to the upgrade disc and will not work with any of the files linked on that page.

Also, I can't figure out what you mean when you say "partition block".