• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Grim Dawn ( Titan Quest \ Diablo fans )

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
I'm reviving this topic, because why make a new one.

Who's playing this right now? The new expansion (and probably the last) 'Forgotten Gods' is out.

I'm looking for build ideas! What are you cooking up?

I'll kick off with my current work in progress.

Toxic Sentinel

This build capitalizes on the new Oathkeeper class by combining a focused Acid/Poison build with strong retribution damage and tankiness. I used to run a Witch Hunter with a similar idea sans the retribution - and the tankiness, instead using avoidance from Nightblade to survive. Lots, and lots of damage over time, but it also meant chicken gameplay, with lots of kiting and running involved. Direct melee would rip me apart in the higher levels on Ultimate. The Toxic Sentinel is the solution? I've yet to discover how it will fare in the end-game, but so far, so good...

Build link:
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lV7qEyvN

Basics / considerations:
- Fundamentals based on http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36115
- Strong devotion tree focus on poison procs, to stack for a high damage over time. Some splashes into retribution damage and shield block for additional toughness.
- Can evolve equally well as a melee based, or caster setup. We have Righteous Zeal for the first and Dreeg's Evil Eye for the latter to focus on. For melee, being sword/board is a minor loss as most of the shield damage is counted towards attacks as well.
- 100% synergy; Dreeg's Evil Eye now adds retribution damage. Bloody Pox/Fevered Rage (optional) benefit this build's damage due to the retribution focus, as mobs reach and hit you much faster, while giving you a brutal Defense Rating shred. Acid damage is also the highest in your direct (melee) vicinity. Righteous Zeal stacking also adds additional retribution damage on top of Dreeg's Evil Eye due to its weapon damage component. Since Retri damage has its own scaling mechanic, the damage type isn't even that relevant, it all gets added as flat damage. You're looking at a very easy to obtain 3-4K on top of almost everything, and more on something such as Aegis of Menhir (it gets up to 38-40% extra!).
- The Sentinel offers the highest potential for resistance shredding. We get -35% from Guardians and -30% from Curse of Frailty. And another 28 Resistance Reduction from Devotions. This is an ungeared resistance shred of 93%.
- Great potential from the skilltree for Physical Resistance stacking through passive and active effects, which should cover up the additional damage from Fevered Rage. However, its still a risky endeavour to use it. This to me is the fun element of this build. Bloody Pox is a real high risk/high payoff skill for it.
- The best part: you can play this as actively as you like. Even just running past enemies is enough to start seeing numbers. Stand still and those numbers get much bigger. Start pushing buttons and they explode.
Looking forward to your input :toast:

I totally forgot about this game, WOW. I even forgot about this thread :slap:.

Anyways it's more gritty like more on the D2 side visually and so far it's been enjoyable.

As for using other peoples builds and a person is new to the game i think they better of learning the hard way as it's much more fun than checking a guide every other level.

Like it's not as if you cannot fix it. so screw up be a better experience than being lame and using other peoples builds.

Finding the Coop a bit lacking but i guess i am more used to the DOS series.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
I'm reviving this topic, because why make a new one.

Who's playing this right now? The new expansion (and probably the last) 'Forgotten Gods' is out.

I'm looking for build ideas! What are you cooking up?

I'll kick off with my current work in progress.

Toxic Sentinel

This build capitalizes on the new Oathkeeper class by combining a focused Acid/Poison build with strong retribution damage and tankiness. I used to run a Witch Hunter with a similar idea sans the retribution - and the tankiness, instead using avoidance from Nightblade to survive. Lots, and lots of damage over time, but it also meant chicken gameplay, with lots of kiting and running involved. Direct melee would rip me apart in the higher levels on Ultimate. The Toxic Sentinel is the solution? I've yet to discover how it will fare in the end-game, but so far, so good...

Build link:
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lV7qEyvN

Basics / considerations:
- Fundamentals based on http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36115
- Strong devotion tree focus on poison procs, to stack for a high damage over time. Some splashes into retribution damage and shield block for additional toughness.
- Can evolve equally well as a melee based, or caster setup. We have Righteous Zeal for the first and Dreeg's Evil Eye for the latter to focus on. For melee, being sword/board is a minor loss as most of the shield damage is counted towards attacks as well.
- 100% synergy; Dreeg's Evil Eye now adds retribution damage. Bloody Pox/Fevered Rage (optional) benefit this build's damage due to the retribution focus, as mobs reach and hit you much faster, while giving you a brutal Defense Rating shred. Acid damage is also the highest in your direct (melee) vicinity. Righteous Zeal stacking also adds additional retribution damage on top of Dreeg's Evil Eye due to its weapon damage component. Since Retri damage has its own scaling mechanic, the damage type isn't even that relevant, it all gets added as flat damage. You're looking at a very easy to obtain 3-4K on top of almost everything, and more on something such as Aegis of Menhir (it gets up to 38-40% extra!).
- The Sentinel offers the highest potential for resistance shredding. We get -35% from Guardians and -30% from Curse of Frailty. And another 28 Resistance Reduction from Devotions. This is an ungeared resistance shred of 93%.
- Great potential from the skilltree for Physical Resistance stacking through passive and active effects, which should cover up the additional damage from Fevered Rage. However, its still a risky endeavour to use it. This to me is the fun element of this build. Bloody Pox is a real high risk/high payoff skill for it.
- The best part: you can play this as actively as you like. Even just running past enemies is enough to start seeing numbers. Stand still and those numbers get much bigger. Start pushing buttons and they explode.
Looking forward to your input :toast:
I'm thinking about grabbing Gods and getting back in, but MWO has my attention right now, with several side-forays into Rimworld, poking at TW3 again, Thinking about Void Destroyer 2 (thanks @Kursah , you jerk :p )... I'd like to consider Mutant Year Zero, or maybe Outward... Too Many Games!!

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I'm thinking about grabbing Gods and getting back in, but MWO has my attention right now, with several side-forays into Rimworld, poking at TW3 again, Thinking about Void Destroyer 2 (thanks @Kursah , you jerk :p )... I'd like to consider Mutant Year Zero, or maybe Outward... Too Many Games!!

#firstworldproblems :D

As for using other peoples builds and a person is new to the game i think they better of learning the hard way

Like it's not as if you cannot fix it. so screw up be a better experience than being lame and using other peoples builds.

This build here is something that is iterated from another build, but yes, you're right in a general sense. Discovering the game's mechanics by yourself is certainly a better way. It also takes a hell of a lot of time not everyone has. A starting point can be a great help to removing that time sink. When knowledge grows you can still tweak and change it as you see fit. But checking out other builds is also a great way to get inspired. Many of them are very gear dependant anyway, so you simply can't just copy paste from the get-go.

The reason I started this one is the Perdition set, actually. I initially banked on having that entire set to make it all work. Turns out its much more versatile. If I hadn't tried that, I'd never have known the potential of Retaliation damage for example.

My very first noob builds were focused entirely around Phantasmal Blades (Nightblade)... it loooked good until I touched Ultimate and suddenly had no way to sustain myself or my damage. Boom 40 hours down the drain and nothing the wiser...

Regardless - - if anyone needs any help in mechanics or how damage stacking, resistance shredding and OA/DA etc. work, feel free to ask. Those are the tools you really do need to make the right choices. Another one of those is knowing how life leech (or adcth (Attack Damage converted to Health...) in Grim-speek) actually works. Its a proper little puzzle on its own.

Made another vid on this build @ 72. Some action involved as well

Last edited:
System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Im excited for the Forgotten Gods expansion. FLMatter and I just completed the Swamp expansion on Ultimate...but Division 2 just came out so been playing that. My favorite build currently is a Druid with the Utlos Lightning set. I have completed ultimate with it and very high in the crucible. Next up favorite is Demo + Inquisitor = 2 pistols of doom. Death Knight is also really cool. But the key to the game is any class that will give you Enemy resistance reduction, especially on Ultimate.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Im excited for the Forgotten Gods expansion. FLMatter and I just completed the Swamp expansion on Ultimate...but Division 2 just came out so been playing that. My favorite build currently is a Druid with the Utlos Lightning set. I have completed ultimate with it and very high in the crucible. Next up favorite is Demo + Inquisitor = 2 pistols of doom. Death Knight is also really cool. But the key to the game is any class that will give you Enemy resistance reduction, especially on Ultimate.

Shredding is soooo important indeed. I can grab -93% from the skill tree with this one :D (+1 devotion, Acid Spray)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm buying this tonight. Not going to bother with any DLC at first but I would have loved to start a necro....oh well, less investment upfront in case I don't like it but it looks killer.

Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 6700 10GB SWFT 309
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703 (TTC Gold 60M)
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (Gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
Currently playing 2h Fire Oathkeeper (warlord). Started with a shield fire oath+demo but it died at around lvl 40. I just managed to catch up with the new one. Dmg is pretty sweet and the resistance debuf from Guardian of Empyrion is sick. And the two summoms actually deal a decent amount of dmg at just lvl 1.
Might give a poison one a try at some point. I think I even have better gear for it.

Last edited:

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
I'm buying this tonight. Not going to bother with any DLC at first but I would have loved to start a necro....oh well, less investment upfront in case I don't like it but it looks killer.

GOG usually has this game with serious discounts, including the DLCs (obviously not the latest one, since that is @ full price, for now). Unfortunately, now it's not on sale :(

That's actually how i got GOG's version myself since, up until that point, i played exclusively on Steam.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

Roll Shaman/Occultist (one or both) and you might just get pretty close to that necro feel ;) There are other sources of skeleton summoning, too :D

Currently playing 2h Fire Oathkeeper (warlord). Started with a shield fire oath+demo but it died at around lvl 40. I just managed to catch up with the new one. Dmg is pretty sweet and the resistance debuf from Guardian of Empyrion is sick. And the two summoms actually deal a decent amount of dmg at just lvl 1.
Might give a poison one a try at some point. I think I even have better gear for it.

No need to reroll for poison, just add some points in the tree to convert all your damage :) Soldier's Physical damage can also be converted pretty easily on the fly. I did initially try building acid with Warlord too, its doable if you focus melee. Item wise there's some nice synergy around Forcewave too. And Guardian damage.. its mental. When you overcap that skill it can be a primary damage source.

Last summer/fall I played Grim Dawn for like hundreds of hours in a month. I burned out pretty badly on it, never got to the end of even vanilla on Ultimate. 2H Commando, pretty decent but I need some new gear, so I need to hit 94, which requires grinding more than usual. I might finish it this summer.

Latest expansion contains new items that allow you to skip some grind. You can insta unlock Ultimate now, and transfer Iron bits between characters.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Last summer/fall I played Grim Dawn for like hundreds of hours in a month. I burned out pretty badly on it, never got to the end of even vanilla on Ultimate. 2H Commando, pretty decent but I need some new gear, so I need to hit 94, which requires grinding more than usual. I might finish it this summer.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
is there anyway to reset skills? say i hit level 50 and i don't like my build, can i reset all points spent, etc? and if so how

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
is there anyway to reset skills? say i hit level 50 and i don't like my build, can i reset all points spent, etc? and if so how

Yes, there's a Spirit Guide available right away at level 1 and you can reset everything except your class choice.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yes, there's a Spirit Guide available right away at level 1 and you can reset everything except your class choice.

Not devotions though, for that you need a potion from the Malmouth expansion.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Not devotions though, for that you need a potion from the Malmouth expansion.

What? Yes devotions too. The potion just resets everything but you can go point by point with simple bits & bobs at the Guide. The limitation pre-Ashes of Malmouth was that you couldn't refund Mastery points. This is now possible too.

Fact of the matter is, you even NEED the point by point respeccing in Devotions to really make the most of it.

My highest character so far is a Lvl 96 "Commando" (Demo-Soldier) that uses fire/lightning retaliation for most of his damage, and most of the Soldier defense skills for keeping him alive.
1555573952809.png

(Screenshot is taken in Elite, oops.... so resists show higher than what they should in Ultimate)

He has completed Ashes of Malmouth on Elite (and all side quests), but ultimate has almost killed me in several ocasions.
Notice the 7000 damage taken in stats:
1555574048510.png

With all that armor and resistances, seeing half of your life vanish in a single blow is terrifying.

My problem with him is also seen in this Stats page... Average Item Level 72 on a lvl 96 character...
Good stuff simply didn't drop.... so at the moment not playing him anymore, I feel like walking on thin ice with every step...

Playing alts so they catch up and perhaps accidentally drop some great item for the main.

I'm not playing real "Hardcore", but a self imposed mode "semi-hardcore", in which if a character dies for any reason, I just spend all it's money and unload everything then delete him/her.
Aiming to complete the game an all diff levels ... but it will take a good while. After lvl 75 gear is extremely important, survival depends 100% on having the right gear and inserts and stuff to mitigate damage and/or allow quick escape in case shit really hits the fan.

Glass cannon characters only work in this game until about lvl 50-60... at least in my experience.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
My highest character so far is a Lvl 96 "Commando" (Demo-Soldier) that uses fire/lightning retaliation for most of his damage, and most of the Soldier defense skills for keeping him alive.
View attachment 121266

(Screenshot is taken in Elite, oops.... so resists show higher than what they should in Ultimate)

He has completed Ashes of Malmouth on Elite (and all side quests), but ultimate has almost killed me in several ocasions.
Notice the 7000 damage taken in stats:
View attachment 121267
With all that armor and resistances, seeing half of your life vanish in a single blow is terrifying.

My problem with him is also seen in this Stats page... Average Item Level 72 on a lvl 96 character...
Good stuff simply didn't drop.... so at the moment not playing him anymore, I feel like walking on thin ice with every step...

Playing alts so they catch up and perhaps accidentally drop some great item for the main.

I'm not playing real "Hardcore", but a self imposed mode "semi-hardcore", in which if a character dies for any reason, I just spend all it's money and unload everything then delete him/her.
Aiming to complete the game an all diff levels ... but it will take a good while. After lvl 75 gear is extremely important, survival depends 100% on having the right gear and inserts and stuff to mitigate damage and/or allow quick escape in case shit really hits the fan.

Glass cannon characters only work in this game until about lvl 50-60... at least in my experience.

Few tips, if I may...
- overcap resistances by 20~25% if at all possible. Enemies shred them too and its those moments your resistance is below 80% + incoming crits that can one shot you.
- Your OA/DA are low. DA is huge for survivability, if you can get near 2700~3000 with procs/buffs that will prevent a lot of incoming crits.
- Lacking high DA, get 'Wayward Soul'. It procs on incoming crits to save your ass and the constellation doubles as a nice OA boost.
- AUGMENTS. Get that rep to Revered with some factions that offer the harder resists like Aether/Pierce/Chaos and Stun reduction. Augments can fill the gaps in your defense. They also allow you to avoid using shitty components and instead focus on ones that complement your build.
- Glass cannons simply do not work period. The game is just easy until 50~60 :)
- Use the new loot filter and make sure you check those Rare (Green) drops often. Dual rare affixes can be more powerful items than legendaries. This is the way to stay current in higher levels. Also: MI's! (Monster Infrequents). Vendors you find in dungeons/the world tend to sell those, and they give major bonuses to specific skills. These are greens too. Even that boss you beat up, Theodin Marcell, drops his very own MI (picked this up yesterday, easy to miss!):

This thing is almost worth building something around entirely. Look at that granted skill and the weapon stats... 236% Aether on a 1-hander. it even has a resistance shred. And note, this is the damage I see on a pure Acid build... Great candidate for a WPS based crit build.

1555576449419.png

- There is a Legendary item smith in Ashes of Malmouth, he will give you random legendaries of a chosen type in exchange for rare crafting mats.
- Seems to me you've focused way too much on Physique and total HP pool. 18k is madness. Instead, focus on 'increasing Effective HP', in other words, make a single Hit Point more valuable by increasing resistances. With about 10K you can already get by just fine, its also easier to heal up. The payoff is much greater that way, for every % more resistance/mitigation of damage you get an exponential amount of toughness in return. If you can go from 80% to 82%, that is not 2% less damage, its 10% less than you got before.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
What? Yes devotions too. The potion just resets everything but you can go point by point with simple bits & bobs at the Guide. The limitation pre-Ashes of Malmouth was that you couldn't refund Mastery points. This is now possible too.

Fact of the matter is, you even NEED the point by point respeccing in Devotions to really make the most of it.

Ahh ok. Been a while. :)

And, yes AUGMENTS. You needs them.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Ahh ok. Been a while. :)

And, yes AUGMENTS. You needs them.

Indeed you do. Here's how my blademaster currently looks with all the augments as well as with skills that require being toggled to work:

Screenshot from 2019-04-18 10-03-09.png

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I heard about this game but never looked into it. Reminds me of POE a lot but looks like it has potential to be even better. Think I'll pick it up.
It's got nothing of PoE's depth. It's only got a few mechanics on top of TQ (if it ain't broke, don't fix it, I guess). What stopped me from playing this was the (quasi) one hit kills that pop out of virtually everywhere once you get past the first level of difficulty. PoE has those too (and TQ before it), but in GD it seemed like any boss had the ability to spawn with a deadly combination of modifiers. Itemization is also basically non-existent with all guides recommending the same set of items for a build type.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
It's got nothing of PoE's depth. It's only got a few mechanics on top of TQ (if it ain't broke, don't fix it, I guess). What stopped me from playing this was the (quasi) one hit kills that pop out of virtually everywhere once you get past the first level of difficulty. PoE has those too (and TQ before it), but in GD it seemed like any boss had the ability to spawn with a deadly combination of modifiers. Itemization is also basically non-existent with all guides recommending the same set of items for a build type.

A lot has changed over time, and i'm not referring only to the DLCs: suggest you check it out once again.

If you're not properly geared for the build your aiming for, it can get messy ...

The learning curve is a bit steep IMO but, once you learn how to properly gear and set up your toon, there's a ton of customizing options to choose from.

Screenshot from 2019-04-18 11-04-57.png

And i'm still learning ...

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
A lot has changed over time, and i'm not referring only to the DLCs: suggest you check it out once again.

If you're not properly geared for the build your aiming for, it can get messy ...

The learning curve is a bit steep IMO but, once you learn how to properly gear and set up your toon, there's a ton of customizing options to choose from.

View attachment 121278

And i'm still learning ...
Does that still mean one specific item set per build, set that you can't really hope to acquire playing by yourself?

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Does that still mean one specific item set per build, set that you can't really hope to acquire playing by yourself?

On some builds, you can actually have two full sets @ the some time but that's more the exception than the rule.

Dunno how long ago you tried the game but drop rates of epic / legendary items have increased a lot and, though some items only drop from certain monsters, most stuff is "rather easy" to get: still depends on RNG, though.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
On some builds, you can actually have two full sets @ the some time but that's more the exception than the rule.

Dunno how long ago you tried the game but drop rates of epic / legendary items have increased a lot and, though some items only drop from certain monsters, most stuff is "rather easy" to get: still depends on RNG, though.
I don't have a problem with monster specific drops (Stonebinder's Cuffs ftw!) or RNG. But while in TQ you could get by with sub-optimal equipment and skill, GD was too reliant on gear and riddled with damage spikes for my taste. And the way Warfare and Defense were merged into Soldier killed the build diversity for me.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

It never meant that, I think you've done too much reading/watching and too little playing... Rare and MI based builds are not a new thing, it was always there and it has always enabled a wide variety of build options and limitless itemization. Will every combination allow you to feel like a god? Of course not, but that never happens.

An example is the Trollrage build. You can run that with one specific MI drop and use anything you want on top, and has no fixed skillpoint investment or even class choice.
https://grimdawn.fandom.com/wiki/Mistborn_Talisman_(relic)

What stopped me from playing this was the (quasi) one hit kills that pop out of virtually everywhere once you get past the first level of difficulty. .

Yeah. And you speak of lacking depth? It seems you lack knowledge, instead... If you get one-shotted your build/itemization is wrong (or you're standing around in some nasty stuff), see post above in response to Wavetrex's setup.

Warfare and Defense were merged into Soldier killed the build diversity for me.

Let go of your TQ-roots and approach this as a fresh game. I think that's fundamental for you reading all this.

Last edited: