• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Grim Dawn ( Titan Quest \ Diablo fans )

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
I agree that the Acts in POE are really the tutorial. I just enjoy the tutorial more than the end game. I still dig the game and I have an investment in it too. I run a map here and there when I'm bored or if a friend wants to play a bit but I'm pretty burnt out.

GD does have a more simplified skill tree but I have to admit its kinda nice after dealing with POE's tree. I really think between the crazy gear, crafting, and constellations that GD is deep enough to keep me quite busy in figuring out builds.

I'll play it while it's fun. I'm still in the lower acts (How many acts are there in GD?) so I really don't know what to expect once I get further in but so far so good.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I agree that the Acts in POE are really the tutorial. I just enjoy the tutorial more than the end game. I still dig the game and I have an investment in it too. I run a map here and there when I'm bored or if a friend wants to play a bit but I'm pretty burnt out.

GD does have a more simplified skill tree but I have to admit its kinda nice after dealing with POE's tree. I really think between the crazy gear, crafting, and constellations that GD is deep enough to keep me quite busy in figuring out builds.

I'll play it while it's fun. I'm still in the lower acts (How many acts are there in GD?) so I really don't know what to expect once I get further in but so far so good.
GD is deep allright. It's just that when it came down to skills, I had a hard time finding synergies and stuff I'd like to play. Granted, most of that was just me looking at numbers, I didn't have the time to actually build characters and try skills on my own extensively.
In TQ, it was pretty easy to spot Marksmanship, Onslaught or some spell for casters that, with synergies, will carry you through the game. In GD, not so much. Though I'm sure if I had the time, I could find said skills in GD, it wasn't easy to spot them by just looking at the skill tree. The dearth of skill points only made things worse (btw, after the expansions, are skill points still as scarce in GD?)

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
I now have 36 hours into Grim Dawn with my L40 char and so far I do like this game more than POE (at this time). Not to take anything away from POE though as I do love that game. I have 655 hours in it. The thing I love about POE are the acts. The thing I do not love is running maps after the last act. POE is much too short. I can blow through all the acts way too fast. I have around 6 characters in that game ranging from L50 to high L80's and I just can't be bothered to run maps over and over to keep leveling. I think that is why i keep starting new characters; just so I can replay the acts. The Acts motivate me while the maps just become tedious. Plus the changes every two to three months kinda annoy me because I'm constantly having to re-work some of my characters. Not to mention loot drops are stupid and getting that awesome gear is a lot of work; I know because I have put the work into it.

GD on the other-hand has (so far) a far richer world to run around in. Graphics and world art are on another level compared to POE. Solid gear drops without having to waste crazy amounts of money or deal with the trade network. Lore is decent if you take the time to do a lot of reading. Not a ton of voice acting but enough so far. The game is just a lot of fun. I like that I don't have to deal with the crazy skill tree of POE and have a simpler skill path to follow with GD but GD does have the constellations which really allows for some cool tweaking and added bonuses which should cater to POE fans.

The truth is this; if I can play GD long enough to get 600+ hours in it then its a solid game but if I get bored after 100-200 hours then everything I said about GD being better will be wrong and I'll admit it too. GD is new so my excitement is high but POE kept me hanging on for a long time....can't argue that POE is one awesome game. Will Grim Dawn keep up? So far yes but I need to put many more hours into it before making my final conclusion.

I should add one thing. I hated TQ. I only played the first one and I was bored out of my mind. I played through it though because my buddy wanted me to play with him.

I will point out that some of the lore you find affects the game itself. there are several "hidden" quests that you have to find and read about :)

Snagged my second epic on this toon, and man it's nice...It was barely an upgrade after I swapped my belt with the Chains for more dps/less health, but when I kick the aura in... sweet....
Grim Dawn 2019-04-27 07-38-20-15.jpgGrim Dawn 2019-04-27 07-29-56-90.jpg

Last edited:

Ahhzz

Staff member
So, approaching 70 rapidly, and almost cleared all the quests in my log. Had to farm a little Rover rep this morning, to bump into Honored for the last Shrine quest, and discovered (happily) that when I wander into an area for the first time, no matter how low the area normally is, it looks like it scales to my current level. A few of the bounty targets yielded double rep, as I got rep for the kill near my level, plus the bounty rewards :).

I'm a bit of a glass cannon right now. I hit 49 kdps last night on the Flesh Master (thanks to my Dreega'lanore; best weapon I see at legendary for my build, but level 58 :(), but I'm scrambling to get a couple of pieces swapped out to get me some better resist. My gear is not too far from level, so armor is ok, but I gotta bump those resists up. I've got a good pair of pants in the bank within a few levels, and I wouldn't mind swapping my feet. Just trying to last long enough to get to a "farm" status, and I'll go hunting for better gear. With no real ranged damage (ignoring aura), I have to go hunting the mobs, and pretty quickly get in "stuck" range. I've worked out a semi-pattern of running in with the Eye, smacking everything I can reach, and then darting out of range, letting the massive dots and retaliation damage take its toll. I've managed several boss kills off-screen that way, and at least 2 have dotted to death after I couldn't clear the area quickly enough and fell. I res back in camp to "+100 Reputation with Blah Blah" heheh.

Should be able to completely wipe out "Normal" this week, or at least enough to make me feel good about it, and move up a tier, start all over. That'll let me peg my devotions without crucible farming, and I can see if I need to completely revamp.

**edited: wrong weapon originally
Dreeg.jpg

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
So, approaching 70 rapidly, and almost cleared all the quests in my log. Had to farm a little Rover rep this morning, to bump into Honored for the last Shrine quest, and discovered (happily) that when I wander into an area for the first time, no matter how low the area normally is, it looks like it scales to my current level. A few of the bounty targets yielded double rep, as I got rep for the kill near my level, plus the bounty rewards :).

I'm a bit of a glass cannon right now. I hit 49 kdps last night on the Flesh Master (thanks to my Dreega'lanore; best weapon I see at legendary for my build, but level 58 :(), but I'm scrambling to get a couple of pieces swapped out to get me some better resist. My gear is not too far from level, so armor is ok, but I gotta bump those resists up. I've got a good pair of pants in the bank within a few levels, and I wouldn't mind swapping my feet. Just trying to last long enough to get to a "farm" status, and I'll go hunting for better gear. With no real ranged damage (ignoring aura), I have to go hunting the mobs, and pretty quickly get in "stuck" range. I've worked out a semi-pattern of running in with the Eye, smacking everything I can reach, and then darting out of range, letting the massive dots and retaliation damage take its toll. I've managed several boss kills off-screen that way, and at least 2 have dotted to death after I couldn't clear the area quickly enough and fell. I res back in camp to "+100 Reputation with Blah Blah" heheh.

Should be able to completely wipe out "Normal" this week, or at least enough to make me feel good about it, and move up a tier, start all over. That'll let me peg my devotions without crucible farming, and I can see if I need to completely revamp.

View attachment 122294

The weapons I've used the most have all been gamblecrafted actually, for my "main" (2H melee Commando), mostly because of life steal.

So to you who knows, I wouldn't live without life steal. It feels like I'm doing something wrong, or the game is just like that. In Titan Quest I think all of my chars tended towards ridiculous amounts of health generation, not really by intention, but it was so powerful and some gear gave you pretty silly bonuses to it so it just ... sorta happened. It was the same with this Commando in Grim Dawn. I stumbled across a weapon with like 10% life steal and it was silly how useful it was. Haunted Steel on everything, and gambled weapons with life steel is how it came down. Level 95 or so and only ~70k damage, which isn't a lot I feel, but otoh I have never laid eyes on gear that increased that damage. I'll try to build my dude in grimtools one of these days and let yous all has a look.

In any case things became so much simpler once I hit 94. Close to finishin Malmouth, the .... Langerrhaonsnen or whatever the boss for vanilla was called was surprisingly easy once I got to him. It. Her?

Ahhzz

Staff member
Hahahahaha Managed my first Nemesis this morning, and he gifted me a Nice set of boots, and the Malediction recipe I started drooling over yesterday. Gave me a 6kdps-showing bump for 5 minutes of crafting a couple more random relics and a new chant for my boots, at least I think that's where they both dropped. Of course, he also gifted me two more deaths, since he split himself twice and I wasn't prepared for either. Still, a solid bump in DPS and defense, so I should find things a bit smoother this time thru AoM...

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
this combined with tunneled zone design w/o any variety and funny item drops is what acctually killed repleayability for me.
i've just got firewalker pice drop. nice. increased fire damage can add to my warfare/earth mastery build but it is int set and i havent invested much in inteli beside what i get from lvling earth mastery :|
lets lvl up a bit and invest all stat points in inteli.
few days later...
greath now i can use the firewalker and i got few more pieces for 2-3 set bonus but... those high rares and low legendaries that i have to replace with firewalker boost my dps far more then firewalker :(
now i have to lvl up even more to get stats points for str for next legendary piece i got since i wasted so much points on inteli that i didnt actually needed :|
but it takes ages to lvl up cause i am quite over lvled because of farm to boost inteli. i cant go next act cuase the end boss of this act slauter me in 2 hits as i lack resistances cause i cant wear the gear that can help :|
may be i start with new toon and i focus developing it only for useful items and dont get myself sidetracked by useless stuff.
but i've sold out useful low lvl items that can make my new start easier cause of lacking space so i'll have to gear up again and i've have to play bosses hit and run again as i wont be able to facetank em undergeard even thou this isnt my first toon and i have some gear stashed :|
and i'll have to run slowly for quite some time till i get speed lvled up
ummm...
fuck it no.
lets play something not so booooring else.

i havent played much GD but from what i've seen so far it has much more game play variety with all those short cuts through the fences, house basements, caves etc and even thou landscape is fixed as it is in tq it is far from monotonous and booring. and with constelations they manage to add poe's skill tree variety into tq's limited class&skill system.

The first part reads like you desperately should roll a new character and start fresh :) When you're struggling for stats early in the game (that is pre-Ultimate really), the build is unlikely to work well later; unless you've aimed it towards a very specific endgame gear set(up). But in that case, what you should be doing is separate a levelling build and an endgame build. Respeccing is easy, possible and cheap these days.

The second part, can only agree and its what I really like in GD, the balance they struck between depth and not going crazy about it as they did with PoE. I do agree PoE takes things very far. And I also agree with @bug that the way that game has its progression managed isn't exactly perfect. GD nails that, in my view. The entire path from 1-100 is a carefully designed progression path that keeps expanding in its requirements as you reach for the top.

I think the gist of all those subtle differences in design is the influence of online on games. Grim Dawn handily avoids that influence and stays true to the original ARPG formula. It doesn't need artificial time sinks or repetitive content because what it wants to do is offer the entire experience in those 100 levels and across that single world map. No RNG zones/maps. The best you get is an arena style end game called Crucible to really take things further. And, with the latest expansion, they also added rifts as another sort of timed challenge mode. Neither is required or deeply integrated into the game, its bonus.

Hahahahaha Managed my first Nemesis this morning, and he gifted me a Nice set of boots, and the Malediction recipe I started drooling over yesterday. Gave me a 6kdps-showing bump for 5 minutes of crafting a couple more random relics and a new chant for my boots, at least I think that's where they both dropped. Of course, he also gifted me two more deaths, since he split himself twice and I wasn't prepared for either. Still, a solid bump in DPS and defense, so I should find things a bit smoother this time thru AoM...

Damn... I've been looking for Malediction for weeks now. Still waitin'... I need it as the LAST component for https://grimdawn.fandom.com/wiki/Dreeg's_Affliction_(relic)

Still rolling with the Acid/Poison Oathkeeper?

I have to go hunting the mobs, and pretty quickly get in "stuck" range

View attachment 122294

Did you get Forgotten Gods yet? If so you can buy Emblems that apply as an Augment to your Medal and those are all movement skills; ie a teleport, a pounce, a charge. They're also cheap and do not require reputation. If you have the expansion you can jump straight onto them (pun intended). With that and Vire's Might combined you'll be like Sonic.

Btw that weapon is drool worthy and I want it too. Stop stealing my drops okthx :D

Btw you might want to be careful with that Chains of Anguish belt. The movement speed reduction can be a dealbreaker there. The damage not so much, but suddenly slowing down can cost you a heart :) Especially because it also slashes your defenses at the same time. High risk high payoff item for sure.

GD is deep allright. It's just that when it came down to skills, I had a hard time finding synergies and stuff I'd like to play. Granted, most of that was just me looking at numbers, I didn't have the time to actually build characters and try skills on my own extensively.
In TQ, it was pretty easy to spot Marksmanship, Onslaught or some spell for casters that, with synergies, will carry you through the game. In GD, not so much. Though I'm sure if I had the time, I could find said skills in GD, it wasn't easy to spot them by just looking at the skill tree. The dearth of skill points only made things worse (btw, after the expansions, are skill points still as scarce in GD?)

I get what you're saying here. And for me playing this for over 600 hours now, I can say that really, all those different skills are actually quite same-y. The main differences are in how damage types are used / converted / buffed. Grim Dawns' stronger builds are very well adapted to double dipping in damage types in many different ways. My poison build I shared earlier has elements of it too; I double dip in Retaliation damage there, and the poison DoT handily supports that because it needs time just like the creatures that need to reach and hit you.

But the individual skills, you're absolutely right, aren't all that distinct or game-changing. The biggest damage comes from stacking many different skills in a short period of time, in the right order, and triggering the right on-hit effects. I have several builds where the lion's share of DPS comes from a few Constellations rather than the class skills.

I think much of GD's learning curve is also due to these design choices. They mixed it up just enough to challenge your set ideas about how to stack and min-max stats. As for skillpoints being scarce; you consistently get 3 points per level and down to 2/level after level 50 and 1 per level after level 80 I believe. Plus a couple from quests. The breathing room in skillpoints needs to come from gear drops that offer +x to skills. Some even offer +1 to all skills. Or all skills of a class. You can also overlevel skills to amplify the effects further. I've learned that if you lack skillpoints for a given build, it needs to be trimmed down/streamlined further, and that usually only benefits it. There are many ways to stack things to reach similar results, some expensive and some a LOT cheaper.

The weapons I've used the most have all been gamblecrafted actually, for my "main" (2H melee Commando), mostly because of life steal.

So to you who knows, I wouldn't live without life steal. It feels like I'm doing something wrong, or the game is just like that. In Titan Quest I think all of my chars tended towards ridiculous amounts of health generation, not really by intention, but it was so powerful and some gear gave you pretty silly bonuses to it so it just ... sorta happened. It was the same with this Commando in Grim Dawn. I stumbled across a weapon with like 10% life steal and it was silly how useful it was. Haunted Steel on everything, and gambled weapons with life steel is how it came down. Level 95 or so and only ~70k damage, which isn't a lot I feel, but otoh I have never laid eyes on gear that increased that damage. I'll try to build my dude in grimtools one of these days and let yous all has a look.

In any case things became so much simpler once I hit 94. Close to finishin Malmouth, the .... Langerrhaonsnen or whatever the boss for vanilla was called was surprisingly easy once I got to him. It. Her?

Loghlorrean I believe :)

Just wait until you fight the Kraken, AoM expansion, his little brother... He's mighty fun on Ultimate ;)

70K is fine. Grim Dawn is not a game where you are supposed to run through maps in two minutes with stuff dying left and right, speed runs are not rewarded at all (quite the opposite, many secrets are found and randomly placed in world objects and even monster spawns often happen some time after passing through areas) and the gear requirements are pretty high to begin with. The DPS calculation is also very... very... inaccurate.

Lifesteal build... still wanting to do one, but I'm always getting stuck on the fact that lifesteal only applies to %Weapon damage and nothing else. Pretty big limitation. If you're struggling to see where other builds get their health from... on-hit procs (Wayward Soul etc.) and hard Health Regeneration stats. You can stack that very well (1k HP/sec is not uncommon). Also, just a heavy defense priority and mitigation allows you to run off health pots alone.

Last edited:
System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
You might try Divinity Originial Sin 2, Tons of story line, and it's more of an RPG/RTS, but it's about as close as I can get. Maybe Outward? Haven't tried it yet, but it might appeal..
I played divinity but not the 2nd part. I will have to try it but now I'm kinda back on GD since the new expansion showed up :)

View attachment 122294
Which class you play? I got loads of legendary.

Loghlorrean I believe :)

Just wait until you fight the Kraken, AoM expansion, his little brother... He's mighty fun on Ultimate ;)

70K is fine. Grim Dawn is not a game where you are supposed to run through maps in two minutes with stuff dying left and right, speed runs are not rewarded at all (quite the opposite, many secrets are found and randomly placed in world objects and even monster spawns often happen some time after passing through areas) and the gear requirements are pretty high to begin with. The DPS calculation is also very... very... inaccurate.

Lifesteal build... still wanting to do one, but I'm always getting stuck on the fact that lifesteal only applies to %Weapon damage and nothing else. Pretty big limitation. If you're struggling to see where other builds get their health from... on-hit procs (Wayward Soul etc.) and hard Health Regeneration stats. You can stack that very well (1k HP/sec is not uncommon). Also, just a heavy defense priority and mitigation allows you to run off health pots alone.

I kinda got that build. Life steal and dmg it works but there are some flaws in my build especially for the mana points :) The blue bar is being eaten super quick. :)

Last edited:
System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Titan Quest has new DLC: Titan Quest Atlantis

I see that no no one here has mentioned Torchlight or Torchlight 2. Those are some excellent ARPGs, The Van Helsing series is nice too but my favourite is Victor Vran.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R

I see that no no one here has mentioned Torchlight or Torchlight 2. Those are some excellent ARPGs, The Van Helsing series is nice too but my favourite is Victor Vran.
Torchlight felt incredibly underwhelming to me. Van Helsing was ok (made 3 chars or so), but I got it when I didn't realy have time to play that much anymore. Didn't try Victor Vran.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Keyboard Logitech G510
Torchlight felt incredibly underwhelming to me. Van Helsing was ok (made 3 chars or so), but I got it when I didn't realy have time to play that much anymore. Didn't try Victor Vran.

The best thing about Torchlight is it reminds me of Diablo 2 but Victor Vran is nice because you can actually jump in it and it supports local and online Co op. I agree that Van Helsing is meh compared to Grim Dawn but POE was the biggest grind I have even been through and that skill tree was daunting.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
The best thing about Torchlight is it reminds me of Diablo 2 but Victor Vran is nice because you can actually jump in it and it supports local and online Co op. I agree that Van Helsing is meh compared to Grim Dawn but POE was the biggest grind I have even been through and that skill tree was daunting.
Having spent hundreds of hours in Diablo and DiabloII, there was nothing in Torchlight (1 or 2) that reminded me of the series.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

Torchlight... I never really got into that to be honest, I played and finished both of them. But the urge to replay them is absent. I'm not a huge fan of the classes, the skill progression and the itemization they've chosen there. Feels a bit... I don't know. The best I can describe it as, is that this feels like a Nintendo version of the classic ARPG. It does play very smoothly and has good polish though.

Reactions: bug
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510
Having spent hundreds of hours in Diablo and DiabloII, there was nothing in Torchlight (1 or 2) that reminded me of the series.

For me it was the art style and feel, but raising Skeletons was super fun. I know that Torchlight 1 & 2 were short but they never felt like a grind to me

Torchlight... I never really got into that to be honest, I played and finished both of them. But the urge to replay them is absent. I'm not a huge fan of the classes, the skill progression and the itemization they've chosen there. Feels a bit... I don't know. The best I can describe it as, is that this feels like a Nintendo version of the classic ARPG. It does play very smoothly and has good polish though.

Understood I have not looked back either but I did have fun playing them My favourite thing by far was raising skeletons. You actually brought up one of my favourite ARPGs Record of Lodoss War (Dreamcast).

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
For me it was the art style and feel, but raising Skeletons was super fun. I know that Torchlight 1 & 2 were short but they never felt like a grind to me

Understood I have not looked back either but I did have fun playing them My favourite thing by far was raising skeletons. You actually brought up one of my favourite ARPGs Record of Lodoss War (Dreamcast).

Hah yeah its nice if an ARPG supports good summoning builds. GD has it too! I've tried a Necromancer focusing on raise skeleton, and it is viable for sure. Still got to work on that one though, Lv 49... and needs a better build around it really.

I have to say that PoE is VERY strong with summoners as well, especially because of its triggered cast potential, the totems and all that... huge amounts of options.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510
Hah yeah its nice if an ARPG supports good summoning builds. GD has it too! I've tried a Necromancer focusing on raise skeleton, and it is viable for sure. Still got to work on that one though, Lv 49... and needs a better build around it really.

I have not yet got that far in Grim Dawn but it is calling me to play some this long weekend hehehe. If only I could get away from Division 2!

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit

I have to say that PoE is VERY strong with summoners as well, especially because of its triggered cast potential, the totems and all that... huge amounts of options.
I've got a necro. It's nice but I've hit a snag later on. The minions draw attention but still you would need some assistance. I can bet it is good in a party. Very valuable.

Ahhzz

Staff member

Damn... I've been looking for Malediction for weeks now. Still waitin'... I need it as the LAST component for https://grimdawn.fandom.com/wiki/Dreeg's_Affliction_(relic)

Still rolling with the Acid/Poison Oathkeeper?

Did you get Forgotten Gods yet? If so you can buy Emblems that apply as an Augment to your Medal and those are all movement skills; ie a teleport, a pounce, a charge. They're also cheap and do not require reputation. If you have the expansion you can jump straight onto them (pun intended). With that and Vire's Might combined you'll be like Sonic.

Btw that weapon is drool worthy and I want it too. Stop stealing my drops okthx :D

Btw you might want to be careful with that Chains of Anguish belt. The movement speed reduction can be a dealbreaker there. The damage not so much, but suddenly slowing down can cost you a heart :) Especially because it also slashes your defenses at the same time. High risk high payoff item for sure.

I am still rolling with the Poison OK, and still enjoying. Picked up some purple boots this morn (my second "Mehmesis" lol) that managed a bit more armor and evened a couple of resist values. Only at 84 right now, so still got time to get picky.

For the sword, I actually had to drop it a few levels ago. I had a green 2H axe drop with a dps bump more than 2k. Still hoping to see a mythic version at some point, but I'm also waiting for that on my Headgear. I need to GT my toon and link it up here.

Yeah, I've about had it with the belt. I've been looking at them as they go by, and I pick up every green, but I think I need to start actively searching a replacement, even if it costs me dps. That stupid slow is nightmarish. I only lose 2kdps or so shown, but with EoR rolling all the time, it procs so freaking often...

I have to admit, I don't know that I could go back to playing without GrimInternals... that tool is critical!

**edited for boots link

Last edited:
Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
I love this game... I hate port valbury.

I havent had a build that could run through it on veteran yet without an unfortunate and untimely death. Definitely maxing aether resist next time.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
I love this game... I hate port valbury.

I havent had a build that could run through it on veteran yet without an unfortunate and untimely death. Definitely maxing aether resist next time.

The ground dmg isn't aether and the player is dmged in percentage of total life as opposed to a fixed number, so it will still be problematic but the monsters definitely use aether dmg (most of them) so it's a good idea to cap that res by 20 or more. Actually, it's a good idea to cap ALL resists by 20 or more, except maybe stun (the res from the 1st page of char info: not from the 3rd page).

Solution - Move fast.

I can't play today anymore any toon without some 20% increase in run speed (minimum). From boots, from pants, from constellations... (and there are a few other items that give total speed or run speed)
- First, it allows you to go through the world quicker, because from what I've noticed, combat is only 1/4 of the time spent actively on the map... the rest 3/4 is just walking. Saving 20% of that is AMAZING in terms of completion time.
- Also, it allows you to run in case shit hits the fan. So many times I avoided dying to some boss because I could outrun him and regenerate (doesn't always work, there are -some- bosses which are impossibly fast and always catch you)
- Finally, those annoying ground patches are much easily manageable if you can go past them quickly without taking too much damage.

There's usually 3 types of environmental damage areas:
- Low damage, which can be survived endlessly with high regeneration or drinking potions - Like Putrid Den in act 1
- Medium damage, which take about 5 seconds to kill you ( 5 pulses ), but you can survive 2-3 more by drinking a potion, allowing for over 7 or 8 seconds of surviving if timed correctly.
- High damage, which are 3 pulses (if you're still there when the 3rd comes and not drink potion, you're dead)

---
Extra:
- Global damage absorption DOES have an effect on those (like Maiven's Sphere), as well as various items (allowing you to stay there more)
- Damage soaking skills like Blast Shield also stop the ground patches damage until collapsing.
- Mirror of Ereoctes completely negates all damage (including from patches) until it pops.

For any other toon, speed is the only way. And NEVER fight above one of those, that's suicide... let the mobs come to you on safe ground.

Last edited:
System Name Matter's / Helios 300 Predator
Processor Ryzen 7 2700 / i7 7700HQ
Motherboard B450 Tomahawk / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Cooling Arctic Freezer eSports Duo
Memory Patriot Viper ddr4 32gb / 32gb gskill ddr4
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 Super Ventus OC / GTX 1060 6gb
Storage Patriot Viper nvme M2, crucial MX300 275gb, Samsung 860 qvo 1tb
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / 15.6 1080p HD
Case Antec 300 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Audio Device(s) On Board - Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Cans
Power Supply Antec 850watt high current pro
Mouse Steel series Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Software Win 10 Pro / Win 10 Home
I have been playing occasionally, I am on discord hit me up if you want to run some Grim. I still have to finish Malmouth(at the end) on Ult.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
@Wavetrex ^so much this. Grim Dawn is also NOT about facetanking everything. If you do that you are easily left with the impression that your defense is inadequate when in fact all you had to do was look for a cue and walk away. Its much better to move more and use the breathing room to add damage over defense. Offense is also a defense, in a way. Also, for those ground patches, the benefits of Constellation/proc heals cannot be overstated. Just having 2-3 healing buttons or procs alongside your health pot is enough to get you through to the next cooldown for a new health pot.

Later in the game and with certain bosses (even Warden Krieg does it) they use rotations that first slow or stun you and follow up with a big hit. Those are the moments that will inevitably destroy you on Ultimate - despite great gear. Without resistance for crowd control and sufficient movespeed, that will get you every single time.

Forgotten Gods gained movement skills to augment your Medal with - use them. Even on top of an already present movement skill they are lifesavers - and time savers.

Last edited:

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
I think i can stand in those "problematic areas" a while longer:

Screenshot from 2019-05-14 19-08-38.jpg

Still attempting past shard 60 in SR but, so far, without success. This is my latest testing build: i can do OK if the bosses don't come @ me @ the same time but, because the bosses map is so small, they often do, which is what is screwing me :(

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
@Wavetrex ^so much this. Grim Dawn is also NOT about facetanking everything. If you do that you are easily left with the impression that your defense is inadequate when in fact all you had to do was look for a cue and walk away. Its much better to move more and use the breathing room to add damage over defense. Offense is also a defense, in a way. Also, for those ground patches, the benefits of Constellation/proc heals cannot be overstated. Just having 2-3 healing buttons or procs alongside your health pot is enough to get you through to the next cooldown for a new health pot.

Later in the game and with certain bosses (even Warden Krieg does it) they use rotations that first slow or stun you and follow up with a big hit. Those are the moments that will inevitably destroy you on Ultimate - despite great gear. Without resistance for crowd control and sufficient movespeed, that will get you every single time.

Forgotten Gods gained movement skills to augment your Medal with - use them. Even on top of an already present movement skill they are lifesavers - and time savers.

I do a fair share of kiting, but yeah there are times when I either get pinned or decide "oh I can just stand here and finish off this boss" that get extra sketchy. My ranged paladin is sailing through everything (but Valbury - it's a bit harder to kite and I get pinned all the time) so far; hoping he scales into ultimate. Oathkeeper is kind of broken. It's a tanky ranged build that does a decent amount of DPS (14K @ level 46) and plays exactly as you're describing above -- kite turn shoot, kite.

Also - unrelated for anyone here if you get the occasional hitching and stuttering in the game, reassigning the CPU affinity in task manager (checking it to one core, then checking them all again) makes it go away completely.