• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GSC Game World, Developers Of S.T.A.L.K.E.R Series, Shut Down.

DragonBorn

http://www.platformnation.com/2011/...developers-of-s-t-a-l-k-e-r-series-shut-down/

UPDATE 4: Sergey Galyonkin has provided an english translation of his blog post, which clarifies some of his statements. He says, “My friends in GSC believe that the reason for that is failed console publishing deal.” “STALKER 2 was going to become PC exclusive, which isn’t a great future for story-driven game.” Galyonkin does not believe that Grigorovich lost interest in the series. He also says that none of his friends from GSC mentioned anything about government involvement – which was originally mentioned in the Ukranews story. Galyonkin also says the “only thing that valuable in GSC is it’s IP and it is registered outside Ukraine.” Which means that there would not be much sense in the government trying to confiscate their assets.

UPDATE 2 & 3: Joe Mullin, former Social Media Manager with GSC Game World, tweeted to Platform Nation about GSC’s closure, saying “it happened today. To everyone.” Also, that GSC may make an announcement soon.

UPDATE: The concept art seems to have originated on krautchan.net/, a site that uses a BB system similar to 4chan. The german-based boards uses the term “Bernd” to mean an anonymous user. A “Bernd” from Ukraine posted a new thread at 13:05 with some concept art and the text “Hurr”. He followed that post up with some more concept art and the post “GSC closed, all employers fired.” Speculation in the thread that he was lying began immediately, but a moderator quickly showed that he was in-fact not only posting from Ukraine but posting from the GSC Game World domain. The OP wrote again later saying that the studio was closed for “personal reasons” and that Grigorovich “don’t want to sell it to someone” (though this post has not been confirmed to be from the same person). The confirmation of the OP’s posting location and the fact that the concept art seems to have originated from here are both very strong pieces of evidence that seems to confirm the studios closure.

Earlier this morning it was reported that GSC Game World, the Ukrainian developers of the popular S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games for PC , was shut down. Initial reports had little to go on besides a Ukrainian news site and some rumors from inside the company.

GSC denied the closure on their twitter page, but then deleted the tweet. Shortly after that Dimitri Bourkovski, who claimed to be close to GSC (though not an employee) tweeted that the studio was indeed closed. He followed up with a five part tweet saying that “GSC is closing its doors and Stalker2 is frozen.”

Sergey Galyonkin, who may or may not still work for 1C Ukraine, has written a post on his personal blog about the studio’s closure. He says, “GSC is closed, a fact confirmed by all. The team is almost completely dissolved, the state has only a few people.” He cites a failed attempt to secure a console publisher and possible disagreement by the CEO, Sergei Grigorovich, over the direction of STALKER 2′s development.

Most telling is Galyonkin’s post and a tweet by Joe Mullin, the Social Media Manager of GSC Game World looking for work. GSC has made no statement and at the moment all they have to say is “no comment”. It seems right now that this is all but officially confirmed. STALKER 2 is presumably cancelled.

It seems like GSC was in a good financial position, but its possible that piracy damaged the studios financials. Though, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series has sold over 4 million units, which is no small feat for a Ukrainian game developer. Dmitri Bourkovski wrote that GSC ”was as one of the biggest, right now should be around the same size as Ukranian offices of Ubisoft & Crytek (50-70 people).”

The series mainly appealed to a European audience, which may have meant that rising development costs would not pay off for a shrinking audience.

Sergei Grigorovich, CEO and Founder of GSC Game World, was named “Entrepreneur of the Year” this February by Ernst and Young, a yearly awards ceremony with over 50 participating countries. Grigorovich not only led the development of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series but also the Cossacks games, which made him his first million. The young CEO, who reportedly drove a Ferrari with a “STALKER” license plate, may have been instrumental in the closing of the company, best put in the Urkanews headline, “Kiev company decided to self-destruct.”

It was also mentioned in the in the Ukranews.com story that there might be some connection to GSC’s closure and a possible investigation into the company by some government office. Its being speculated that it could be due to tax evasion or some other sort of corruption, or an attempt by the government to seize the companies assets. This is not confirmed however, and poor translations from Russian make it even harder to understand.

“The Ascian Gaming Blog” has released concept art from S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 here.

Come Over Here STALKER, Lets Have A Little chat

This news deeply saddens me. As a PC gamer, S.T.A.L.K.E.R is one of the modern series’ that really show off the PC’s potential. The game combined a unique setting with a wealth of mechanics in a way that almost no other game does. If you are a true video game enthusiast you need to play the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. It’s hard to have a full understanding of modern game design and its potential without having spent at least a little time in the zone. Farewell, STALKER.

Processor i9 9900KS ( 5 Ghz all the time )
Motherboard Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390
Cooling EK Velocity + EK D5 pump + Alphacool full copper silver 360mm radiator
Memory 16GB Corsair Dominator GT ROG Edition 3333 Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti 12GB OC
Storage M.2 Samsung NVMe 970 Evo Plus 250 GB + 1TB 970 Evo Plus
Display(s) Asus PG279 IPS 1440p 165Hz G-sync
Case Cooler Master H500
Power Supply Asus ROG Thor 850W
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Rapoo
Software Win 10 64 Bit
please no !!

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Aww man that sucks if it's true.

How ever I hate everyone always blaming pirates.

"It seems like GSC was in a good financial position, but its possible that piracy damaged the studios financials."

Did pirates hack into their bank accounts or some thing?

I doubt it, if someone pirates a game in all likelihood they were never going to pay or they are a "try before you buy" kind of person and will buy the game after pirating it.

Pirates don't causes losses of sales, bad marketing does ( Or in most cases, bad games)

( Never saw Stalker advertised, I only knew about it because of TPU)

DragonBorn

Sorry for the Bad news it seem,s the news is hitting all the game sites with the same report on this.

System Name Titan
Processor AMD FX-8350 4.6ghz
Motherboard AsRock 990FX Fatal1ty Professional
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX Double D 7970 3gb
Storage Western Digital Green 2TB 64mb Cache/ Western Digital 500gb
Display(s) iMac Display 2560 x 1440
Case NZXT Switch 810 White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Windows 7 64-bit
My heart just dropped.

2012 was supposed to be all about Metro: Last Light and STALKER 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10

"It seems like GSC was in a good financial position, but its possible that piracy damaged the studios financials."

I doubt it, if someone pirates a game in all likelihood they were never going to pay or they are a "try before you buy" kind of person and will buy the game after pirating it.

Pirates don't causes losses of sales, bad marketing does ( Or in most cases, bad games)

-CEO spent money for both PC and console development
-No publishers wanted to publish the game on the console, saying "the game won't be profitable for us"
-CEO pulls out ALL financing for the company

tl;dr CEO was an idiot, consoles f**king up PC gaming again

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
Game over :(

Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl ran like a dog on my old machine but gave Call of Pripyat a go and it was pretty good.

I could have only expected better in the future but it appears there is none now.

System Name Classy Gal
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1070 FE
Storage 2x120GB Vertex 3 - 1x1TB WD
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Titanium HD
Power Supply Seasonic M12II 750W
Software Win10 / Linux Mint
-CEO spent money for both PC and console development
-No publishers wanted to publish the game on the console, saying "the game won't be profitable for us"
-CEO pulls out ALL financing for the company

tl;dr CEO was an idiot, consoles f**king up PC gaming again

You forgot this part "The young CEO, who reportedly drove a Ferrari with a “STALKER” license plate", all too suspicious:wtf:. he better watch out, the zone is a dangerous place, specially with a license plate like that.

It's a shame, STALKER was one of the more memorable games. I own all of them on Steam.
I still remember the early steps over The Zone, the scary descent into abandoned underground labs, the mutants etc. Though on the other hand, since they are russian developer, they'll quickly make a spinoff under a new company and there will still be games like STALKER coming to PC if you ask me. It just might be called a bit different.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
It's a shame, STALKER was one of the more memorable games. I own all of them on Steam.
I still remember the early steps over The Zone, the scary descent into abandoned underground labs, the mutants etc. Though on the other hand, since they are russian developer, they'll quickly make a spinoff under a new company and there will still be games like STALKER coming to PC if you ask me. It just might be called a bit different.

Was a pretty atmospheric set of games : ]

Good enough that I think you're right anf they will still be made in some form or another.

Processor i5-7600k
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ AC MX-4
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX Vengeance 15-15-15-36
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr 1070ti
Storage 240GB Corsair Force GT
Display(s) 23' Dell AW2310
Case Corsair 550D
Power Supply Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckk!

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I reckon the guys (and the sacked staff) need to pull together. get rid of that asshat CEO who pulled their funding - and form a new studio that will carry on making stalker. Chances are they might even get picked up by EA or Activision - Though if its Activision, you know the stalker franchise is going to go down the drain like CoD.....

I wish their staff the best of luck.

Phxprovost

Xtreme Refugee
System Name Result of Boredom
Processor AMD FX-6350
Motherboard ASUS M5A97
Cooling Enzo Tech Extreme-X
Memory 16gb ddr3
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Display(s) Asus 24in (1920X1080) X 2 @144hz
Case NZXT S340
Software WIN7 64bit HP
they might even get picked up by EA or Activision -

Id rather the series stay dead then have either of those two publishers pick it up, realistically if the IP is up for grabs i could see THQ going after it

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Very sad. This was a hugely immersive series, with a very large modding community that made it an almost perfect showpiece of what PC gaming is all about, and what the PC's can do. I sincerely hope the production continues in some other studio, which seems very possible, given the proliferation of PC game developers in Eastern Europe. With some luck, maybe most of the STALKER team can get hired too!

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Even if the STALKER series is confined to the history books. theres nothing to say that the same devs wont make a similar game in the future

System Name 01001
Processor AMD FX-9370 4.4GHz 8-Core
Motherboard ASUS SAPPHIRE 990FX R2.0
Cooling NOCTUA DH-14
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (OS & Software) and WD BLACK SERIES 3TB x6
Display(s) ASUS 23" IPS
Case COOLER MASTER Cosmos II (Black) ATX Ultra Tower
Audio Device(s) DENON 7.2 Receiver with 4K
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Steel Series Megafresh
Keyboard Microsoft Ancient POS PS/2
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64 & Windows 10 Pro x64 (Dual Boot)

I'm a try before I buy and trust me, it works!:rockout: Bought several games this way. More companies need more demos. Hell, I downloaded the demo for BATMAN: Arkham Asylum and can't wait to purchase it. Many of you know me as a stringent "If it's available as a retail, I'm buying it that way." person.
Why the hell is the case for Shadow of Chernobyl so damn thick? The spine I mean. Did burn some mods to disc to put on its spindle. Guessing Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat are the normal DVD single width cases?:confused:
The GPU which is listed as shipped should get here soon in less than a few hours. I'll finally be able to play Shadow of Chernobyl Complete 2009 on the highest settings! Until I buy the monitor which is listed because right now I have a generic CRT VGA monitor. Meh.

EDIT: I have been buying many games at low prices recently. Some even as presents or gifts. Do they care about each unit bought or the amount of money they generate? I'd rather save money on buying tons of games at low prices instead of spending lots of money for only a few.

Last edited:
System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
As a guy from the eastern Europe, it makes me sad. I loved the games, they have a lot of familiar things from places in Latvia and other countries from former USSR.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro

Pirates don't causes losses of sales, bad marketing does

I spend a lot of money on video games each year. I also pirate a lot. The reason I pirate a lot is because I can. Why spend money on games if you can have them for free. So I am a perfect example of that guy that hurts the Dev companies and publishers. Some of you claim pirates don't hurt game company sales; well I say they do. Some games I just have to own the game. Some games I don't. I buy all my PS3 and 360 titles from gamestop. I buy 50% of my PC games through gamestop, steam and now origin. The other 50% I pirate because its just a single player game and I don't care if I own the game box and disc.

To say pirating a game doesn't hurt the gaming industry is totally not true. I bet my life that there are many other people out there just like me and I will say this; if not for pirating I'd be spending a lot more money than I do now. Every game I have pirated I would have eventually bought. I make 6 figures a year and I can buy every game I want but why should I? It's just too easy to take. Even with pirating I still spend hundreds of dollars a year on video games. But pirating saves me hundreds of dollars a year as well.

It was hard to admit this openly but I'm just tired of hearing people claim pirating hurts no one at all. If pirating stopped tomorrow I wouldn't care. I'd just spend more money going forward. It's easy to steal when you are in the comfort of your own home. It detaches you from thinking you are doing something really wrong. I'd never walk into a store and steal something...but then I sit in my chair at my desk and download games and movies all the time. It's not right but it doesn't feel wrong to me. Though I know it is.

Anyway...S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was a most awesome game. It's too bad about the CEO. In the case of this company i doubt pirating was the cause of death. Companies still make a load of money even with pirating. It's just hurts some of their sales.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
This isn't really a piracy thread but if you can afford to buy it, you should.

If you can't afford it, wait for the bargain bin.

Too much, "I want, I have, even if i steal" makes the world a fucking sad place.

As for Stalker... They can move on, they were three great games but maybe needed a new direction after the third. There's only so much zoning you can do in the same locations. Compare with Elder Scrolls using different maps every new game.

Looking forward to Metro: Last Light.

GLD

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X, AMD Wraith Prism.
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi).
Cooling Antec 120mm RGB case fans.
Memory 4x8gb, G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-16GVKC.
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6700.
Storage PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB 4.0x4 NVMe ssd with Vantec ICEBERQ heat sink.
Display(s) ASUS VP278QG 27", 1080p, 75hz, FreeSync.
Case Antec GX202.
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound, Logitech Z625 THX 2.1's, Logitech G430 headphones.
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750.
Mouse Logitech G203 Prodigy.
Keyboard Logitech G213.
Software Windows 11 Pro, @ Day 1.
Sad news indeed. After reading this, I just got all 3 STALKER games on Steam for under $15.

From Facebook/Twitter: "Dear Stalkers: We will not be releasing any official news until around mid January. However there is cause for hope! Good hunting!"

They are a bunch of trolls the lot of them. Though they can troll as much as Valve if they want and I wouldn't care as long as they don't fold.

Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11
Shame, excellent series of games, much like elder scrolls / fallout games, both in terms of freedom, and my willingness to tolerate a shitload of bugs :)