• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTS 250 bios on 9800GTX+ ?

momcilosystem

So, I've read a lot of stuff about upcoming GTS 250... and I know you did too - not often they attack NVIDIA so vigorously :)

Anyway, I was thinking about downloading bios for GTS 250 (MSI manufacturer) and flashing my 9800GTX+, do you think it will go without problems?

Before any of you start talking about uselessness of my plan (I am aware of it) I just want to do this because of bragging rights :banghead:

Thanks in advance ;)

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
So, I've read a lot of stuff about upcoming GTS 250... and I know you did too - not often they attack NVIDIA so vigorously :)

Anyway, I was thinking about downloading bios for GTS 250 (MSI manufacturer) and flashing my 9800GTX+, do you think it will go without problems?

Before any of you start talking about uselessness of my plan (I am aware of it) I just want to do this because of bragging rights :banghead:

Thanks in advance ;)

From what i understand, the 250 will use different and much faster memory (0.8ns?), if that is the case then no it will not work because your cards memory wont be able to take the timings and will probably fail and not boot at all, I also understand that there might actually be a "slower" version of the card to use up exisitng stockpiles, if that is the case, it might work but why would you bother if no speed gains?

aCid888*

I also understand that there might actually be a "slower" version of the card to use up exisitng stockpiles, if that is the case, it might work but why would you bother if no speed gains?

I have to agree, but I guess its all for the E-Peen. :rockout: :laugh:

Your avatar is great Tatty lol :toast: :roll:

momcilosystem

So, you and I are both very hypocritic :D, we would easily judge NVIDIA for rebranding, but when it comes to be certain about it - we step back! I am very self-consious (read: coward) to flash BIOS from "same" vga, and so are you by not recommending it to me :)

Thanks again for confirming my fear ;)

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
So, you and I are both very hypocritic :D, we would easily judge NVIDIA for rebranding, but when it comes to be certain about it - we step back! I am very self-consious (read: coward) to flash BIOS from "same" vga, and so are you by not recommending it to me :)

Thanks again for confirming my fear ;)

I dont judge NVidia for re-branding, on the contrary, if they have huge stockpiles of existing GPU's and PCB's and they can sell them off in another guise and in the process happen to extract an extra 10% of performance out of them why should I care? More income from either GPU manufacturer means more funding for development so hopefully when they do bring out completely new architecture it will be a HUGE leap forward and not a small one.

At the end of the day, I would quite like to sell an old graphics card that I have for as much as I paid for it so why would I critise others for doing similar................... therefore, I am not a hypocrite! :p

You should also not confuse what you admit to being "fear" with my not recommending it due to probability of failure, thats not fear, thats common sense, If I did recommend you did it, and it failed, you would only blame me, therefore, for your sake, in order for me to recommend it, I need to know the probablility of success is high, I have flashed more BIOSes than many and I have no fear of it, common sense should always prevail though!

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
you don't need a custom bios

all you have to do is change the device id's in nibtor to the GTS250's and your done, windows will detect the card as a GTS250 then

if your card uses good enough ram you can just flash straight to a normal GTS250 bios though, like palit usually uses good memory, and the GTS250's are ref clocked at 1200 on thier memory and if your 9800GTX can't clock up to 1200 from 1100 then you have crappy memory, my old GTX it wasn't a + version would clock up to 1300 with no mods.

but your flashing a GTX to a GTS, I don't see any bragging rights there, just a waste of time.

Last edited: