• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 1060 No longer recognized

Zippy1970

The MSI GTX 1060 6GT OCV1 card in one of my PCs is no longer recognized. When I boot the PC, I get two beeps meaning no graphics card found. The PC works fine because it boots without problems with a GTX 960.

Weird thing is, when I put the GTX 1060 in another PC, I see the POST screen and even the Windows boot screen (logo + spinner). But as soon as it wants to switch to a higher resolution (to display the Windows desktop), the screen goes blank and it displays "no signal". Windows is running because I can remote desktop into it.

When I boot this PC in linux terminal mode (so it stays in text mode), it works fine. Since I thought that maybe the VBios got corrupted, I wanted to reflash it. So I downloaded the VBios from this page and tried a flash. It failed with a "GPU ID mismatch" error. When I looked at the GPU IDs, I saw it actually identified itself as a MSI GTX 1060 iGAMER OC (GPU Device Id: 0x10DE 0x1C03 )... I bought this card new so I have no idea why it has the wrong VBios.

I can't seem to force flash this card (newer NVFlash version no longer support this?). So what are my options? Can I change the GPU ID with NiBiTor in order to flash the right VBios? Should I change the GPU ID with NiBiTor? And why would this card have the wrong GPU ID?

Anything else I can do/try?

Edit: I just saw NiBiTor is from 2012 and does not support newer NVidia cards...

Last edited:
System Name Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-45-R715)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard AMD Promontory / Bixby FCH
Cooling Acer Nitro Sense
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Graphics (Cezanne) / NVIDIA RTX 3080 Laptop GPU
Storage WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ
Display(s) BOE CQ NE156QHM-NY3
Software Windows 11 beta channel
Check ListDevices.txt in any driver. Following one is supported
DEV_1C03&SUBSYS_8C941462 "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB"
So you do have the correct ROM

The unverified ROM 8C9A1462 to which you linked must be an unreleased Engineering Sample or similar.

System Name Everchanging
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair Dark Hero
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 2 420mm
Memory 2x16GB Corsair DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 256GB, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) 2xSamsung 28" 4k HDR 144Hz
Case Fractal Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) fiio K9 to Hifiman Sundara's via 4.4mm balanced cable
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX 850w
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 x64
Boot up with the 960, grab DDU from Guru3d, they will have a guide on how to use it. Select the uninstall and shutdown option, unplug your ethernet cable so even if you tell DDU not to let Windows install a driver automatically. Swap to the 1060, install drivers. If you still have the problem, we can go from there on having to do a BIOS flash.

Zippy1970

Okay, so assuming this is the correct VBios, what could be causing these problems? Is the card toast?

System Name Everchanging
Software Windows 11 x64
It could be, or simply just needs a BIOS flash as something on that BIOS some how corrupted.

Zippy1970

Boot up with the 960, grab DDU from Guru3d, they will have a guide on how to use it. Select the uninstall and shutdown option, unplug your ethernet cable so even if you tell DDU not to let Windows install a driver automatically. Swap to the 1060, install drivers. If you still have the problem, we can go from there on having to do a BIOS flash.

Should I do the DDU even though the cards is giving problems on two different PCs? And both PCs work fine on the 960?

PS: I already did a reflash with this vBios (with has a matching GPU ID) and it made no difference.

Last edited:
System Name Everchanging
Software Windows 11 x64
v
Should I do the DDU even though the cards is giving problems on two different PCs? And both PCs work fine on the 960?

PS: I already did a reflash with this vBios (with has a matching GPU ID) and it made no difference.
DDU doesn't take that long, so the worse outcome is no difference and it likely isn't working. Do you have the original VBios? Check the display connections on your card, and then check that the VBios you flashed matches those exact connections, if not, that could be the problem, so then flash a VBios with a card that has the same connections.

Zippy1970

Do you have the original VBios? Check the display connections on your card, and then check that the VBios you flashed matches those exact connections, if not, that could be the problem, so then flash a VBios with a card that has the same connections.

Yes, the VBios I had flashed earlier has the same connections.

Zippy1970

The card works fine when I boot Windows in safe mode. I still want to try to flash this VBIOS since that's the exact card model I have. The name is the same (MSI GTX 1060 6GT OCV1 6GB) and the card in the photo is the card I have. But whenever I try to flash the VBIOS, is says GPU mismatch. I've tried the special version that bypasses the board ID mismatch, but it still doesn't work. I still get the GPU mismatch:

nvflash.png

How can I force the flash?

Edit:
I was able to flash this VBIOS which has the same GPU ID as my card and looking at the BIOS (file) size, is the exact same VBIOS as I was trying to flash. But anyway, didn't make a difference. The card still does not work.

I've actually tried baking the card in the oven for 15 minutes at 385F (200C), but that didn't help either. So I guess I'm SOL?