• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 1060 Strix TDP % 240% on GPU-Z

takanome

Hello, I am new to the forums and this is my first thread.
Just like it mentions in the title, I am having issues with my GTX 1060 6GB model ROG Strix from Asus, I am having performance issues, and I have checked everything possible, I can't figure out why this is happening, the only rare thing is that when I open GPU-Z it shows that the TDP % is always around 240% and Perfcap reason always shows pwr, whether the PC is idle or gaming, the GPU is having really poor performance, my GPU clock is stuck to 810MHz, it won't go up, which I think it makes the GPU's VRAM "bottleneck" itself, when I am playing videogames it uses 96% to 100% GPU usage, on a game that on my GTX 970 barely used 35% GPU usage, when I am working on windows it feels normal around 2-7% of GPU usage, I have installed like 4 different variants of Nvidia drivers, uninstalled them with DDU on safe mode, I even updated the GPU vBIOS with the on provided in techpower vbios collection, it did not help, PSU should be providing enough power, as it had a GTX 970 Strix without a single issue.
I know the obvious answer would be that the card is not working, however if there is any actual fix or solution somebody might know, maybe not to make the vga work as new, but at least to improve performance I would really appreciate it, the GPU is factory OC version, on Asus GPU Tweak it is on the Gaming profile, I have to say the graphics is still under warranty but I can't use it, because I am in a different country to where it was purchased, so basically no warranty for me, I will let some screenshots of the information on GPU-Z.
The graphics card is not overheating as someone would expect from a card that is showing 240% TDP, I haven't seen the card go above 48°C even when gaming, which should't be like that considering it's using "100%" GPU load when I am playing videogames.
Any help will be highly appreciated, and thank you all in advance.

My system:
Gigabyte H97 Gaming 3
Intel Core i7-4790K
Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
Asus GTX 1060 6GB ROG Strix
Windows 10 64bit
PSU Corsair TX850 850W Bronze

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    36.3 KB · Views: 6,528
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    25.9 KB · Views: 2,019

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I vaguely remember seeing this before, but don't remember what the issue was back then.

Did you just buy this card? Is it new or used? Any chance someone messed with the BIOS?

Can you try the card in another PC to see if it's working correctly there?

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a thought...
If you have the Intel driver for the iGPU installed, try uninstalling it. If you have the iGPU enabled in the BIOS, try disabling it.

takanome

The card is used, a friend of mine bought it from ebay and sent it to me, curious thing when he tested it, it worked good enough on his GTX 1080Ti game settings (the game is Smite, it doesn't require a lot of resources) he tested it on 2k settings all max in the game, and game capped at 150 fps (that's the game default cap), now I can't reach those 150 fps on the same game with low settings at 1080p, I trust my friend enough as to know what he says is true, unfortunately he didn't run a real benchmark, but given he reached 150fps he thought the card was working just fine then, and it probably was, with me the story is different as you can see.
-I will try to test it today or tomorrow on another computer and check if it's my hardware the one causing issues, if you by any chance remember what the issue was, please let me know.
-I disabled iGPU, unfortunately it didn't fix it.

takanome

No, I didn't uninstall intel drivers, but I don't think it will make any difference, I just tested the graphics card on another computer and it's giving the same results.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I just tested the graphics card on another computer and it's giving the same results.
Then it's the card.

have you tried finding an original bios from our database yet?

takanome

Yes, I already installed the bios for my card available in techpowerup database, my card is an Asus Rog Strix 1060 OC version I'd like to try the Rog Strix normal vbios but I don't know if it may be possible, given that it has different clock speeds.