• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 1070 Firmware Overwritten by Malware - Unable to Reset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
What are the chances of jumpers becoming a super duper new security feature of next generations of motherboards? Probably the coolest thing since solid capacitors?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
And supposedly, protect them, which they have historically done horribly. It's a google away how to dump one with a simple serial port.

Serial port plug in or physical jumper can be secured in the same way. It's kinda wishy-washy.

I think the user should be presented with a more secure (ie write protected) default.

Why? I have no faith in the standard end user.

PS: I like how you have brought the TPM argument into this despite the fact they have nothing to do with firmware validation.
With TPM UEFI can prevent these problems. But because it is not present it is not implemented. For me, it's not about having faith in the end user. For me, it's the product maker's responsibility to ensure stuff like this isn't an issue.

UEFI began as Intel's baby. ;)

The fact you don't tie the two together here is why I bring it up. :p

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
With TPM UEFI can prevent these problems.

But why the need for the black box?

I believe the most secure system is the one where everyone can know exactly how it works and still not be able to compromise it. I don't like "hardware security" when historically, software can do it well and has. Verifying hashes is something our CPUs do every day.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
But why the need for the black box?
Because it offers the physical cryptographic security required that cannot be bypassed, except physically, and because of the key used, can be far more secure than just a jumper. a jumper I can move, but a cryptokey I have to crack first before I move the jumper. BIOS first BOOT phase is security verification (SEC)... all this can happen then, and is far better than a jumper. It can also prevent BIOS flashing and all of that.

Unless this sort of stuff is happening, you can't prevent stuff like this. That's all I'm saying. The tech exists already, even. So if you haven't taken the steps to utilize it, it's rather contradictory to ask for it. :p

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Because it offers the physical cryptographic security required that cannot be bypassed, except physically, and because of the key used, can be far more secure than just a jumper. a jumper I can move, but a cryptokey I have to crack first before I move the jumper. BIOS first BOOT phase is security verification (SEC)... all this can happen then, and is far better than a jumper. It can also prevent BIOS flashing and all of that.

Let me elaborate further:

I don't see any reason TPM adds ANY security to a simple hash check. I actually feel if anything, it adds a layer of complexity with which to attack. If anything, a larger attack surface is never better, and security through obscurity is not security. These are proven concepts.

So if you haven't taken the steps to utilize it, it's rather contradictory to ask for it. :p

My client did utilize secure boot, FWIW. It was shut off via a simple malware cmos write.

Want a fun factoid?

There are no means in present uefi to validate CMOS. At all.

System Name RGB-PC v2.0
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT
Memory 4x16GB DDR5-5200 CL36 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX 2080 Ti
Storage 2x2TB Samsung 980 PRO
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV273K 27" 4K 120Hz (G-SYNC compatible)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragon Red + Sennheiser HD 650
Power Supply Asus Thor II 1000W + Cablemod ModMesh Pro sleeved cables
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB with low profile red cherrys
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

I don't see any reason TPM adds ANY security to a simple hash check. I actually feel if anything, it adds a layer of complexity with which to attack. If anything, a larger attack surface is never better, and security through obscurity is not security. These are proven concepts.
Obviously having a black box does not work. That is why a lot of old and even recent machines shipped with TPM modules, that produce keys that are easy to crack.
Because it was a black box, only one to discover this was someone actually trying to exploit it. Oh, too easy!

cadaveca

My name is Dave

again, look at my last post. The first thing a UEFI BIOS does is a security check. It's not that complicated at all, and it's not an added layer. It's a missing one. :p It even is supposed to flush CPU cache to anything left over isn't executed. But you need a key somewhere that everything (the UEFI firmware modules) is verified against, and a TPM is the place to store it.

Obviously having a back box does not work. That is why a lot of old and even recent machines shipped with TPM modules, that produce keys that are easy to crack.
Because it was a back box, only one to discover this was someone actually trying to exploit it. Oh, too easy!

Naturally. We are talking about very simple electric circuits when you really boil it all down. If you know how to design these things, none of this is incredibly deep. It is a simple lack of understanding that makes it seem complicated. That's why I do reviews... to help get information out that is easily accessible. This isn't some magic some programmer does.

System Name RGB-PC v2.0
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT
Memory 4x16GB DDR5-5200 CL36 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX 2080 Ti
Storage 2x2TB Samsung 980 PRO
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV273K 27" 4K 120Hz (G-SYNC compatible)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragon Red + Sennheiser HD 650
Power Supply Asus Thor II 1000W + Cablemod ModMesh Pro sleeved cables
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB with low profile red cherrys
again, look at my last post. The first thing a BIOS does is a security check. It's not that complicated at all, and it's not an added layer. It's a missing one.
Naturally. We are talking about very simple electric circuits when you really boil it all down. If you know how to design these things, none of this is incredibly deep. It is a simple lack of understanding that makes it seem complicated. That's why I do reviews... to help get information out that is easily accessible.
By far the largest security holes have been due to lack of proper documentation or misunderstanding of unclear documentation provided by a certain processor manufacturer. Known issue, still a problem. :)

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
again, look at my last post. The first thing a BIOS does is a security check. It's not that complicated at all, and it's not an added layer. It's a missing one. :p

SEC phase is a joke that has basically turned into a memory initialization phase.

Actually, the latest description in any UEFI docs (third party or otherwise) describes it as follows:

This contains all the CPU initialisation code from the cold boot entry point on. It’s job is to set the system up far enough to find, validate, install and run the PEI.

Not much mention of security. :p Technically, I guess "validation" should fill this role but DXEs aren't validated, which is entirely where this attack took place.

At any rate there is no reason this validation needs a TPM, which was my point from the beginning here.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
SEC phase is a joke that has basically turned into a memory initialization phase.

Actually, the latest description in any UEFI docs (third party or otherwise) describes it as follows:

Not much mention of security. :p
validate is security...?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
validate is security...?

I clarified. It doesn't validate DXEs.

At any rate this is incredibly off topic. I'm only cleaning a clients computer and reporting my findings as I do. I don't find this particularly earth shattering (though it certainly is interesting) but do think there are lessons in it for future development. Take from that what you will.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I clarified. It doesn't validate DXEs.
So we are now back to where we began in that you can't overcome these problems, so you're wasting your time. :p

I'm pretty familiar with where all these holes are present. Now, because in UEFI, flashing is done via a module within the UEFI, we have a very clear path on how you can flash a BIOS with malware to a board without much difficulty, without going into much detail as to how it is actually done.

Add in to it that a MAC id identifies that board specifically, and you easily show how that board is pretty much a hole that needs to be thrown out. Since it had already been compromised, there is no real way of fixing this in the long term. You can remove the current infection if there IS one present, but that doesn't prevent the same from ever happening. If that board was compromised once, it can be again, and nothing you can do can prevent it. whoever did that, if true, can always do it again, whenever they want.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
So we are now back to where we began in that you can't overcome these problems, so you're wasting your time. :p

No. I can clean his computer fine. Already nearly there.

I just think there are lessons here. And there's certainly a way to build a better mousetrap, so to speak. Heck, let me quasi design one for you right now: Flash a OTP flash chip with a key and have that be the root of trust for sig validation. Cheap effective and can't really be hacked.

Maybe I'm just not as pessimistic as you Dave. :p

cadaveca

My name is Dave
No. I can clean his computer fine. Already nearly there.

I just think there are lessons here. And there's certainly a way to build a better mousetrap, so to speak. Heck, let me quasi design one for you right now: Flash a OTP flash chip with a key and have that be the root of trust for sig validation. Cheap effective and can't really be hacked.

Maybe I'm just not as pessimistic as you Dave. :p
No, it's that you don't understand that every BIOS is supposed to have a key anyway. that's how a flasher knows a BIOS isn't for a particular board in the first place. You wouldn't be doing anything but the exact same thing. Every BIOS is signed and that signature is checked. That's part of what UEFI offers in the first place.

It's not pessimistic at all. Being pessimistic would be telling you that the OP knew all this before he even posted here and just wanted to see how far it could go.

It's just a matter of making it clear that there's not much to be done here that board makers aren't doing already.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
You can remove the current infection if there IS one present, but that doesn't prevent the same from ever happening.

You are incorrect on that front, is all I can say at the moment.

No, it's that you don't understand that every BIOS is supposed to have a key anyway. that's how a flasher knows a BIOS isn't for a particular board in the first place. You wouldn't be doing anything but the exact same thing.

I bypass those keys all the time (those that actually are uh, implemented).

They aren't "keys." They are bloody file hashes at best.

that's how a flasher knows a BIOS isn't for a particular board in the first place.

Nope. It's a bloody string in the DMI fields, at least in Aptio V, which is what most boards today use.

To be exact, it is this string:

ThisString.png

Every BIOS is signed and that signature is checked. That's part of what UEFI offers in the first place.

Oh god. You don't really believe that, do you?

Go play with an EVGA bios for 5 minutes (no sig check at all). Or a gigabyte. Their sigcheck is literally a BOOLEAN FLAG.

boolean.png

To find a gigabyte sig check, you open the bios with a hex editor. You search for the string "$BDR." You will see your board name. After that, a long hexadecimal string of zeroes. The boolean flag that says whether all is well or not is literally the second "01" after the long line of zeroes.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Oh god. You don't really believe that, do you?

Go play with an EVGA bios for 5 minutes. Or a gigabyte. Their sigcheck is literally a BOOLEAN FLAG.

Lazy BIOS programmers focused on overclocking before security are not what I am talking about. the unfortunate truth is that design standards are not the same as implementations. There are several people I follow that are focused on these sorts of things directly, and this is a common complaint.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Lazy BIOS programmers focused on overclocking before security are not what I am talking about. the unfortunate truth is that design standards are not the same as implementations. There are several people I follow that are focused on these sorts of things directly, and this is a common complaint.

ASUS is the only one I've ever seen with a half assed sigcheck.

It still can be bypassed with a few tricks.

Supermicro and server vendors are just as guilty. They are all based on the same codebase, really. Aptio V has become the reference standard and it's a bug infested fruit.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
So like what prevents one from flashing the wrong UEFI update file to a motherboard? What stops someone from flashing an ASUS update to an MSI board?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
So like what prevents one from flashing the wrong UEFI update file to a motherboard? What stops someone from flashing an ASUS update to an MSI board?

The DMI strings in the bios must match board and vendor.

I mean, that's how it's usually done. The argument here is kind of that there should be something better.

and since I realized I've just possibly broken a sweat in a debate about computer bioses, I'm stepping away from the keyboard for now. Later all. :laugh:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
For me, personally, nothing.

ASUS is the only one I've ever seen with a half assed sigcheck.

It still can be bypassed with a few tricks.

Supermicro and server vendors are just as guilty. They are all based on the same codebase, really. Aptio V has become the reference standard and it's a bug infested fruit.
This is funny to me because we basically agree about the facts, but not the semantics. :p

Some products are secure, and some are not. But I can overcome all of those, really, so nothing is secure. There are people getting paid to do this sort of testing, but you need an invite or you don't get paid and any work you do will simply get taken by someone that IS getting paid. :p A critical hardware flaw pays about 40k, FYI. Firmware stuff is about 25% of that.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
A critical hardware flaw pays about 40k, FYI. Firmware stuff is about 25% of that.

And for me, it literally pays 20 bucks an hour (sometimes, when I get a client) and the warm and fuzzy feeling I did some good for the world.

If you ever thought I was in this for the money, you thought wrong.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
And for me, it literally pays 20 bucks an hour and the warm and fuzzy feeling I did some good for the world.

If you ever thought I was in this for the money, you thought wrong.
Doing it for money is ALL you should be doing. Your time is valuable. But someone might take that time you've spent and use that to get paid for nothing. :p There are conventions for doing this sort of stuff, with one coming real soon!

So yeah, I'm actually thinking the opposite of what you suggest here. :p

and since I realized I've just possibly broken a sweat in a debate about computer bioses, I'm stepping away from the keyboard for now. Later all. :laugh:

It's just a discussion LULz, don't take it too seriously, really. Like you know, a couple of Intel firmware bugs can pay my bills for the year. And I get the hardware for free... so I can stay up with the tech and get access before the public does...

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
System Name Firebird
Processor Intel i7 2600K @5.0'ish 24/7 stock core Voltage {5.2 w/102 bCLK}
Motherboard Intel Extreme DZ68BC SkullTrail Z68 Cougerpoint, Excellent MCH !
Cooling Scythe NINJA PLUS Rev.B[skt478] Modded to 1155 Scythe SH12 fan
Memory Samsung 32nm 16Gb 4x4 (@19xxmhz} low profile[ better than 2133 banwidth]
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aurosus 1080Ti
Storage Intel 512 SSD,Samsung 9701Tb, Toshiba 3Tbx2,Hitachi 320,1TBx2,'Cuda 400 7200.10, WD1TBUSB,to SATA
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440 27" WQHD, Samsung 226W, Vizio M60C3 4K 60",Vizio XVT3D554SV
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Intel 10ch[9+1] HD Audio X540> Pioneer VSX39TX[copper chasis,Rosewood sides 5x6LCD remote
Power Supply Seasonic X750 @ 24/7
Mouse Logictech G300s
Keyboard Saitek Cyborg v7
Software Windows 7 ROG E3 X64 by Neuropass/tweakscene
Benchmark Scores 4642@665/1600 220/GAT F1 4544 220/667strap 2.5/3/2/6 Bliss 650/1500 6490 Q6700 Bliss 690/1500
So let me understand, my Intel DZ77GA "Has" a Jumper for BIOS it has to be positioned to even allow any changes, AND a position to actually "Update" the BIOS, is this current issue able ot get around the Jumper Lock for a BIOS Update ?

The jumper manually enables/disables the write protect pin on the EEPROM chip. Preventing/allowing it being written to. This can't be overridden by software/firmware. It requires an electrical connection to the pin is made via the jumper to disable write protection. There's no way for software/firmware to make the physical electrical connection and override the write protect feature. Therefore, it would be 100% impossible to flash a BIOS with the jumper in the LOCK(or whatever it's called) position.

EDIT: And this is not difficult to implement on any board that lacks it. Cut the pin's connection to the board. Add switchable circuit between board and pin(or pin and ground, pin and power, whichever's required). Done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.