• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gtx 1070 Temperature Goes after adding another GPU, is it safe for 24/7?

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Yes, trog, heat is rising off the card a coupe inches below it and is being picked up by the top card... exactly what i was alluding to...

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Give the parrot a cracker boys.

It don't matter what position the cards are in, the Master Card will always run the hottest.

Even the two Vega cards that are water cooled... the master runs warmer then the slave card and there is no fan to draw the heat off the second card even if the case is flipped on its side. I've been running Crossfire for many of years and know for a fact the top card regardless of where it's at will always run warmer :p

Cards in the same loop?? How can you compare that way? It would need to be different, but tjlhe same hardware, loops. ;)

Crossfire for many of years and know for a fact the top card regardless of where it's at will always run warmer :p
You meant master im sure, otherwise you just agreed with my sentiment.

The only way to test is to be able to flip the primary and secondary cards. ;)

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Cards in the same loop?? How can you compare that way? It would need to be different, but tjlhe same hardware, loops. ;)

You meant master im sure, otherwise you just agreed with my sentiment.

The only way to test is to be able to flip the primary and secondary cards. ;)
I never said I disagreed with you ;)

And yes both in the same Loop.

Edit @EarthDog Both cards were on air and were switched back and forth and it wouldn't matter as the top card always ran a lot warmer than the bottom.. both cards run identical under volts in both scenarios but as for reading ASIC that's a no-go

Your post is confusing then..........

Same loop? Can't test that way. Period.

Yes, both cards on top would run warmer...because, heat rises and the card sucks in some of that heat. Switching the cards doesn't matter per say, we would need to switch primary and secondary but leave the cards in the same slot.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
How is the same Loop impossible?

To satisfy your curiosity are you insinuating that I must have to separate pumps, two separate radiators and reservoirs?

Run the experiment yourself using two identical cards. Read the ASIC quality of both cards and run your tests and see the difference in temperature from one card to the other before and after changing card positions.

Because each GPU's heat load affects the others within the same loop. In theory, it should be the same, but, reality may be different. So, yes...

I don't have two identical cards. As I said twice already, the best way this could be done is to switch primary and secondary duties without swapping the cards.

Can that be done by simply putting the video out on the lower card and removing it off the top card? The bottom then becomes the primary?

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Because each GPU's heat load affects the others within the same loop. In theory, it should be the same, but, reality may be different. So, yes...

I don't have two identical cards. As I said twice already, the best way this could be done is to switch primary and secondary duties without swapping the cards.

Can that be done by simply putting the video out on the lower card and removing it off the top card? The bottom then becomes the primary?
Actually I think so yes.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
an anomaly i offer no real explanation for.. two 1070 card in sli.. they run both near identical (top and bottom) temps fan speeds and everything..

the same set up with a pair of 980 TI cards showed a massive 20 C difference between top and bottom cards..

trog