1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 460 with P45/x48 chipset: Is there a problem?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by EastCoasthandle, Aug 8, 2010.

1. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I found this thread that discuss the use of DCP Latency Checker (original translation) showing latency spikes if you move a window on desktop, opening Control Panel, etc. Not sure how many other people may have a similar setup. But you can check yourself if you notice spikes using that program.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. jagd

Thanks Received:
    I would look to if aero is enabled or disabled and card is at lowered clocks ( idle mode ) or not first (and increasing gpu/mem clock fix or not) first .

PS :I looked original thread but google translate is terrible :p .

3. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    i don't have that problem with my Gainward GeForce GTX480 1GB "GS" version even when i oc to 800/1000/1600mhz @ v1.000 maybe he is oc'ed too much for the low voltage, i dunno but i got a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard if u check my System Specs and yes ofc oc'ed ^^;

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Could you provide 1 minutes worth of DPC latency information (showing the graph) using their current driver? And try to do what they did, wiggle the window around, open other windows like control panel, device/printers, etc.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    on the screen u can see MSI Afterburner it has been running for over 1day and 9hours without a problem.

[​IMG]

if u want 1mins of something than i need to use fraps or something see if that can record at least 1min activity without any error i don't have problems even when i oc my gfx to max at v1.000 in MSi Afterburner i think it could be the windows or machine on ur think.

*Edit* when ever DPC is running u open winamp or media program for audio and video it flips and make a red block and write this

"Some device drivers on this machine behave bad and will probably cause drop-outs in real-time audio and/or video streams. To isolate the misbehaving driver use Device Manager and disable/re-enable various devices, one at a time."

but still i don't lose my Windows Aero xD *Edit*

Attached Files:

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Oh, the 1 minute request was more of figure of speech. I am looking for DCP latency results that show that it's been running long enough to show you've tried opening a few things to see what the results are. Per the bold portion of your quote that's what the OP's link was talking about. Did you try opening other things that use less resources like opening Control Panel, Computer, etc to see if you get those red bars as well?

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    The random lockups while running a Intel processor..?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  8. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Here is an update from the mod over at the Gigabyte forum:

The best translation so far is this:
    If anyone knows German and can provide a better translation it would be appreciated.
    source

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Grnkjr0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    A friend of mine translated it into this:

"I’ve had been on the phone again today with NVidia to get resolution to this problem I was on hold for a good time, I could finally adjust to what the information was all about that was forwarded to me which has helped me to understand it better.

There is only certain chipset series that are affected. What has struck me that all SLI-enabled boards do not have this problem and that my board has already passed the test. It can also be random. Whether the driver or BIOS is now fixed-side, I can not say at the present but today I am on the ball looking for a fix.

The test is quite simple. DPC Latency start and then CPU-Z. You can click most recent (to be in the foreground) and wait a very short time allot of red spikes will come on the screen, everything checks out OK, do not come by, everything is working OK "

Hope this is as close to the original as it can be.

Poul

techie81 and EastCoasthandle say thanks.
  10. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Update

It looks like an attempt was made to fix this. However one poster pointed out (using pics) that the P-state was changed. It appears that the temps are higher. Original translation here

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Update

It look like an attempt was made to fix this issue but this issue. However one poster pointed out that the P-state was changed causing higher idle temps. Original translation here. I also noticed that the new driver shows x16 2.0 using GPUz.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Normalised New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've just been suffering from massive latency with my new GTX 460. It was running at a constant 8000 microseconds (max 8500) and I couldnt use any audio software at all because it was making my soundcard (motu 828 mk2 firewire) glitch all the time.

I tried the DPC latency checker, disabled every device i could and still keep a running system, no change. So I started trying out different options with the graphics settings. I finally managed to find a 'solution' (a horrible temporary workaround) and im now running at about 40 / 50 microseconds.

As I was changing stuff in the NVidia control panel, I found that if I opened the 'Adjust image settings with preview' screen, it fixed my latency. So obviously something happens when it displays the 3d image to make everything work as it should. Fortunately it takes negligible cpu to run the control panel, so I start it up when i first boot the machine.

Might be worth a try for anyone suffering the same problems.

Hope it gets fixed in the next driver.

13. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Did you try the drivers released via MS update?

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. Normalised New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have and that fixes the problem for me :)

...but the drivers weren't available directly via update. I deleted the existing drivers, got what update had to offer but it was the same. So after some hunting i found the cab file for the new drivers :

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=541003&mpage=1#541003

and installed from that.

15. Corduroy_Jr

Corduroy_Jr New Member

Thanks Received:
    never heard of such a program how do i work it how do know whats good or bad so far its staying fairly low in ms

16. Normalised New Member

Thanks Received:
  17. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    I thought this problem was fixed? That's from a user playing F1 2010 using 260.63 drivers.

10 Year Member at TPU