1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 780Ti SLI Screen Tearing Questions

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by JThorpe, Feb 5, 2014.

1. JThorpe

Thanks Received:
    Hello All,

I am new to Nvidia GPU's (came from two HD 4890's in crossfire) and I have a few questions regarding GTX 780Ti in SLI.

I currently have two EVGA GTX 780Ti SC w/ACX in SLI, and I noticed that if I do not have V-Sync active there is a lot of screen tearing (mainly in AC4). I currently have a 60Mhz monitor, but I will be planning to upgrade to a 120+Mhz monitor soon.

Here are my questions:
    1) Will the only way for me to remove the screen tearing is keep V-Sync on?
    2) Is there a setting that I am missing (within the Nvidia software or other) to eliminate the screen tearing (other than V-Sync)?
    3) If I want to go to a 120+Mhz monitor will there still be screen tearing (with V-Sync off)?
    4) If I go with a 120+Hhz monitor will V-Sync set to the refresh rate of the monitor (120+Mhz) or will it stay at 60 fps (60Mhz)?
    5) Would a G-Sync monitor (without V-Sync active) eliminate the screen tearing?
    6) Would a Lightboost monitor do anything (still not exactly sure what Lightboost does)?

Thank you in advance for the assistance, and I apologize if this has been asked before

2. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    Screen tearing happens when your gpu outputs higher fps than your monitor can output. Vsync limits the gpu output to the max supported fps of the monitor, which stops the tearing.

780ti SLI is way overkill for 1920.1080@60, though I love overkill. ;) Definitely get a new monitor, either 120hz or higher resolution like 2560.1440/1600 or even multi monitor.

I won't comment on Gsync or light boost since I'm not well versed in those areas.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    Turn adaptive vsync on in the nVidia control panel.

4. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:

5. JThorpe

Thanks Received:
    I tried that and I would still get tearing.

Maybe I did not turn on the right "adaptive" option in the Nvidia software, I am not sure.