• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Guide on how to enable DTS 5.1 Connect/Interactive for Motherboard with onboard Realtek USB Audio

Sorry about Windows, I almost think I should not have mentioned it. But I know from working with Realtek and Windows there are issues.
I noticed it did the same to VAC, I even checked uninstalling it and the endpoints are still there in the registry.

I have no idea why Microsoft adds the extra devices either (Tee, so on).

Apophis_

no worries
all is done now and most ghost devices are gone ,its now better then before
i had a few duplicate devices from trying to learn this
thanks

No problem, Windows is such an ass with audio. The WAE (Windows audio engine), needs a full re-write, and proper testing.
I have been aware of these issues for over 4 years, and they have never been addressed by Microsoft.

Their audio team must be hard of hearing, and also terrible coders. Microsoft are an insult to the industry.

====

Many professionals will use ASIO or WASAPI exclusive, for best audio, bypassing WAE.
Sadly, WAE working 100% correctly with good APO's is the best solution.

----

This you can do at a later date (optional), however I suggest people using my driver to do it. It disables some hidden APO's.

Clean way: Disable start-up of Windows audio and Endpoint builder via 'Services', restart, apply reg, enable services, restart.
Services.png

CAudioLimiter.png

All of this rolled into one, including the ghosts so on.....

Last edited:
The 'Win CAudio' you do only once per Windows install, so far updates have not changed the registry back. The ghost devices you will need to do each time you install any audio device.
You will need to recognize disconnected, but valid devices in 'Audio inputs and outputs', much easier if the device was already cleaned to start with.

The 'Clean Listen' you do when you disable-enable the endpoint (SPDIF) or swap devices (to Speakers, other device).

One day, possibly in 2480, we wont need to take all these extra steps to get 1:1 audio out of WAE. Windows is behind with SPDIF format support, and doing more than 8 channels.

====

Optional extra:

Message Signaled Interrupts - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Apophis_

about the msi utility
MsiUtility.png
if i am correct i should only need to enable msi on both "high definition audio controller"
cause everything else is already running in msi mode seen by the negative number

Yes correct. I was looking at a friends Realtek USB I added DTS to, there was also two 'High definition audio controller', one should be the GPU (RTX 4070 Ti).
PCI\VEN_10DE is NVIDIA Corporation, so the other one should be the Realtek USB, which uses what's on the motherboard.

Here is an image of the MSI Utility with my computer, there are also two. Some drivers will already configure MSI mode, such as my GPU one.

MSI Utility.png Optical.png

VEN_1002&DEV_AB30 | VEN_1022&DEV_1487

https://devicehunt.com/

Last edited:

Apophis_

yeah one is nvidia
the other it says intel

your latencys are realy low
also did check with latencymon while playing cyberpunk
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:05:25 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

Screenshot 2023-11-26 154513.png

so all is fine, Thank you :)

Now you have perfect audio, and a guide to follow to re-produce it. Better quality audio and lower latency.

Last edited:
It's working for me, it shows up but mp3s are mute nothing shows up on the receiver not pcm not anything but everything else bitstream works...

chrisz5z

Worked for me, however, when trying DTS Connect my speakers (JBL Bar 700) showed "Unsupported" so I had to use Dolby DS1 instead.

My dilemma is that i have no way to change any audio settings. Sound properties in control panel have a Dolby tab but it is black. I've tried installing a couple Dolby apps from the Microsoft Store but each of them complained about not having access to the driver.

Is there something else i need to install from the APO Driver?

dolby.png

DTS works just fine, even on a GPU, however the passthrough device and end receiver both need to support DTS Audio.
If the receiver supports DTS Audio, check the passthrough settings on the passthrough device.

DTS Audio (from computer) --> Passthrough device (example a TV) --> End receiver (example Logitech Z906).

chrisz5z

DTS works just fine, even on a GPU, however the passthrough device and end receiver both need to support DTS Audio.
If the receiver supports DTS Audio, check the passthrough settings on the passthrough device.

DTS Audio (from computer) --> Passthrough device (example a TV) --> End receiver (example Logitech Z906).
Any recommendations on what software will work with Dolby DS1 that allows you to configure things like equalizer/bass?

DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive for Most Devices - Easy read post updated, to update (already configured) simply install then restart.
Equaliser APO - Stereo Surround Upmixer - Preset tested on Realtek USB with DTS APO4 (above) (skip step 1B).

EAPO Config.png Audacity.png

Enjoy DTS:X Ultra Interactive 5.1!

====

https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/multichannel.html - 5.1 multichannel test (scroll down to the video).

Also note, web browsers will connect to 6 channels, but populate channels as needed.
Upmixers are generally programmed to detect 2 channels (stereo).

Youtube - Edge.png

====

Not to be confused with MSI the brand, see here. Minimum delay, see images below.

Playing Music.png Optical.png

====

Export from another of my threads:

If you are one of the unlucky people who have Nahimic constantly re-installing if you remove it, even with automatic drivers disabled (Post 1).
You need to delete the Nahimic service (CMD-Admin: sc delete NAME), use 'Services' to get the full service name.

sc delete NahimicService

Now right click uninstall, plus tick delete driver, all points in 'Device Manager', also use 'Driver Store Explorer' to find: Nahimic, A-Voulet.
Restart, then follow Post 1 again to remove any ghost Nahimic devices, restart again, and now it should all be gone.

Nahimic is literal malware no matter how you uninstall it's program or try to remove it's drivers it keeps coming back
Guide: How to uninstall Nahimic completely from your system : r/MSI_Gaming (reddit.com)

Last edited:
Your "Win CAudio" registry edit will remove the need to run a negative gain pre-amp?

For me yes, but it depends on the APO's. With Realtek-DTS I don't need negative gain.

With Realtek HDA and EAPO no negative, my friend with USB Realtek and EAPO needed -0.8 for EAPO, but not when it was just DTS.

blatslap

The equalizer is still there, its a bit complicated to explain, but you probably need a specific driver with a certain SSTPPCfg.
In many cases the drivers SSTPPCfg needs to match the devices policy to show certain features.