• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Guide to clean, minimalistic OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boni

You may have a need for a stable minimalistic system. Instead of stripping OS's of stuff, why not build from ground up?

First, you need a mini.iso from here: http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/netboot/

Pick your version and download mini.iso. In my case, it's a 68MB file for bionic beaver version

Then, burn the iso to dvd or pendrive. If you're on windows you can use Rufus app.

Boot from your media and install as you normally would. At additional software selection screen, I suggest you don't pick anything, just press enter.

Reboot when done, and you will find yourself in textual interface. Login with your username and enter password when prompted. Then, you probably want graphical interface. First, install it's dependency by typing in:

sudo apt-get install xorg

Enter your password when prompted and press y when asked for it. When that's done, you will need the actual user interface. It can be GNOME, OR XFCE or MATE or maybe something else. To do that, for example type in:

sudo apt-get install xfce4

Command to install gnome would be:

sudo apt-get install gnome

Now you will need a a display manager. Type in:

sudo apt-get install lightdm

You can now press ctrl-alt-del to reboot and find yourself in GUI. Log in, open terminal and type in:

sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

This will install drivers. You may have an issue with dependencies after this command, not visible at first, and to solve that, type in:

sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc-7 gcc-multilib dkms

That's basically it. A minimalistic system, without anything installed except the basics. If you opted for gnome desktop, it should come with firefox web browser, transmission app for torrents, text editor, chess game, etc. If you need to install anything else, just type into terminal: sudo apt-get install nameofappyouwishtoinstall. You can also install apps with synaptic or software manager or by browsing to apps webpage. If you get bloated with time, you can type in sudo apt purge gnome or sudo apt autoremove gnome. In my case, after only a day of use, I had over 100 unneeded packages.

Cheers!

System Name just ordinary potato system, but dont understimate potato..
Processor ryzen raven ridge 2200g, ryzen 2600 upgrade:)
Motherboard msi b350 pc mate, biostars a320, asrock ab350m micro
Cooling x2 cheap china handmade, i got plenty aigo/fantech rgb fans now heh
Memory klevv dual channel 8gb 3000mhz, trident 16gb 3600mhz, random ddr2 stick
Video Card(s) back to square, using vega 56 now:D
Storage wd green ssd 240gb, 3tb seagate expnasion, random laptop hdd x4, 1tb 3.5
Display(s) acer vgo 22inch fullhd 75hz
Case cheap segotep/dazumba mid atx, alcatroz mini atx
Audio Device(s) genius retro wood style, harman kardon stick iii
Power Supply be quite system power9, powerlogic standar, voltron 300fx, thermaltake smart 1200w
Mouse rexus, genius ps/2, powerlogic ps/2 ball tracking
Keyboard rexus, random china product x3
Software talking abt best software, autodesk/unity3d/notepad yes notepad!!
Benchmark Scores theres nothing to brag abt potato, but it can run decent 30fps fullhd with good setting:)
You may have a need for a stable minimalistic system. Instead of stripping OS's of stuff, why not build from ground up?

First, you need a mini.iso from here: http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/netboot/

Pick your version and download mini.iso. In my case, it's a 68MB file for bionic beaver version

Then, burn the iso to dvd or pendrive. If you're on windows you can use Rufus app.

Boot from your media and install as you normally would. At additional software selection screen, I suggest you don't pick anything, just press enter.

Reboot when done, and you will find yourself in textual interface. Login with your username and enter password when prompted. Then, you probably want graphical interface. First, install it's dependency by typing in:

sudo apt-get install xorg

Enter your password when prompted and press y when asked for it. When that's done, you will need the actual user interface. It can be GNOME, OR XFCE or MATE or maybe something else. To do that, for example type in:

sudo apt-get install xfce4

Command to install gnome would be:

sudo apt-get install gnome

Now you will need a a display manager. Type in:

sudo apt-get install lightdm

You can now press ctrl-alt-del to reboot and find yourself in GUI. Log in, open terminal and type in:

sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

This will install drivers. You may have an issue with dependencies after this command, not visible at first, and to solve that, type in:

sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc-7 gcc-multilib dkms

That's basically it. A minimalistic system, without anything installed except the basics. If you opted for gnome desktop, it should come with firefox web browser, transmission app for torrents, text editor, chess game, etc. If you need to install anything else, just type into terminal: sudo apt-get install nameofappyouwishtoinstall. You can also install apps with synaptic or software manager or by browsing to apps webpage. If you get bloated with time, you can type in sudo apt purge gnome or sudo apt autoremove gnome. In my case, after only a day of use, I had over 100 unneeded packages.

Cheers!
thia is nice way to try a linux os, downloaded:)

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.

Boni

Well, that's also nice, but quite limited. With ubuntu mini.iso you can extend it into full blown desktop if you wanted to, and it's compatible with most modern things.

Status
Not open for further replies.