• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Guide to Radeon X800/X850 bios modding

Eggenberg4Ever

dolf said:
The provided here BIOS is GTO but for 1xVGA / 1xDVI and non VIVO? Are you sure that it is the proper BIOS or that your VIVO is working?

Unfortunately this is not the original BIOS as I flashed BIOS before properly checking how to do it first & didn't back-up the original!!! :banghead:
Prior to using this BIOS the VIVO worked perfectly.
Sorry if this causes any problems Dolf :ohwell:

Eggenberg4Ever said:
Unfortunately this is not the original BIOS as I flashed BIOS before properly checking how to do it first & didn't back-up the original!!! :banghead:
Prior to using this BIOS the VIVO worked perfectly.
Sorry if this causes any problems Dolf :ohwell:

It is not problem for me but it should be for you. If you want to test GTO2 VIVO BIOS dual DVI you can download it from the BIOS collection (it is described like R480 X800XL). Or I can mod 1xVGA/1xDVI X800GTO VIVO BIOS for dual DVI lile I did with the XT PE BIOS to 1xVGA/1xDVI. Or just use X850XT VIVO BIOS (decreased core/memory clock) which is for dual DVI.

-crimson-

Thank you DOLF!

My card: 3DConnect x850 Pro

I have used your great Flash Utility: :respect: THX! However, after I have flashed it with the x850 Pro 16 pipes bios, I can't set the core speed higher than its original 500 Mhz without it LOCKING UP. I could set the memory to 540 Mhz and do a test for artifacts with no problems and no artifacts. But when I set the core speed higher than 500 Mhz and do a test it LOCKS UP and my screen switches off. I have to reboot after that. I have tried with both the Pro and XT bios files in your flash utility. And I have used both ATI Tool and ATI Tool Tray with the same problem.

What should I do in order to run it with the same bios, core and memory speed as a XT?

Thank you for your time and help!!

Last edited:

dduummyy

Processor Pentium D 805 Dual Core
Motherboard ASUS P5LD2
Cooling Koolance Watercooled
Memory OCZ Gold DDR2 667 2X1GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT 256DDR3 PCI Express16
Storage Western Digital 200GB SATA 8mb
Display(s) Hitachi 20"
Case Koolance
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1/ live drive IR
Power Supply Rosewill RP550-2
Software XP Pro
thanks for all the input i fixed it, got my a vga waterblock! LMAO

-crimson- said:
My card: 3DConnect x850 Pro

I have used your great Flash Utility: :respect: THX! However, after I have flashed it with the x850 Pro 16 pipes bios, I can't set the core speed higher than its original 500 Mhz without it LOCKING UP. I could set the memory to 540 Mhz and do a test for artifacts with no problems and no artifacts. But when I set the core speed higher than 500 Mhz and do a test it LOCKS UP and my screen switches off. I have to reboot after that. I have tried with both the Pro and XT bios files in your flash utility. And I have used both ATI Tool and ATI Tool Tray with the same problem.

What should I do in order to run it with the same bios, core and memory speed as a XT?

Thank you for your time and help!!

It means that after unlocking to 16 pipes even 500MHz are too much on the core. Try to downclock the core to stable value (470-480MHz? and after that increase the memory to 520-540MHz, test for stability and find the final values). Prepare custom BIOS with these values and flash it.
Of course you have another option which is voltmod on the core: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/voltmods/112
my advise will be to use VID Vmod to 1.45 or 1.5V of the core using 1K Ohm 0603 SMD resistors (just few cents for 10 of them) - unsolder the useless resistor and solder the needed combination. You have to start with the pencil Vmod just to see what effect the Vcore will have over the overclocking of the core. Don't get greedy and stop at stable X850XT speeds with reserve of 10MHz on the core and 10-15 on the memory. You should care about the cooling because with 16 pipes and Vmod the heat will be more. ATI Silencer 5 rev.2 will be perfect solution for you.

Last edited:

-crimson-

dolf said:
It means that after unlocking to 16 pipes even 500MHz are too much on the core. Try to downclock the core to stable value (470-480MHz? and after that increase the memory to 520-540MHz, test for stability and find the final values). Prepare custom BIOS with these values and flash it.
Of course you have another option which is voltmod on the core: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/voltmods/112
my advise will be to use VID Vmod to 1.45 or 1.5V of the core using 1K Ohm 0603 SMD resistors (just few cents for 10 of them) - unsolder the useless resistor and solder the needed combination. You have to start with the pencil Vmod just to see what effect the Vcore will have over the overclocking of the core. Don't get greedy and stop at stable X850XT speeds with reserve of 10MHz on the core and 10-15 on the memory. You should care about the cooling because with 16 pipes and Vmod the heat will be more. ATI Silencer 5 rev.2 will be perfect solution for you.

Thanks Dolf!

It is interesting that most of the 3DConnect x850 Pro Vivo cards, like mine, don't have a problem running at XT speeds. I am quite happy with its performance and the thought that I have the 16 pipes unlocked :ohwell: .

Am I just one of those unlucky cases?

Or could I try to flash my card with another Bios (from you of course :respect: ) that you modded for a guy in this forum who also has a 3DConnect x850 Pro Vivo?

-crimson- said:
Thanks Dolf!

It is interesting that most of the 3DConnect x850 Pro Vivo cards, like mine, don't have a problem running at XT speeds. I am quite happy with its performance and the thought that I have the 16 pipes unlocked :ohwell: .

Am I just one of those unlucky cases?

Or could I try to flash my card with another Bios (from you of course :respect: ) that you modded for a guy in this forum who also has a 3DConnect x850 Pro Vivo?

To be honest it isn't BIOS problem. You just got not very good core (but it has 16 pipes ;) ). You have to live with that or to Vmod it. Don't forget about the cooling because that low overclock of the core means more current leakage and much more heat at higher clocks.

Eggenberg4Ever

dolf said:
It is not problem for me but it should be for you. If you want to test GTO2 VIVO BIOS dual DVI you can download it from the BIOS collection (it is described like R480 X800XL). Or I can mod 1xVGA/1xDVI X800GTO VIVO BIOS for dual DVI lile I did with the XT PE BIOS to 1xVGA/1xDVI. Or just use X850XT VIVO BIOS (decreased core/memory clock) which is for dual DVI.

Dolf, thanks for the effort you're putting in on this one.
Obviously I want to squeeze as much stable power out of the GPU as possible: what would be your best recommendation, bearing in mind I want to keep the dual DVI & the VIVO capabilities of the GTO2?

Eggenberg4Ever said:
Dolf, thanks for the effort you're putting in on this one.
Obviously I want to squeeze as much stable power out of the GPU as possible: what would be your best recommendation, bearing in mind I want to keep the dual DVI & the VIVO capabilities of the GTO2?

With the current BIOS you shouldn't have your VIVO active? But what to recommend - I will try the X850XT BIOS (PCI-E be carefull with that, VIVO and dual DVI) not the XT PE BIOS.

Eggenberg4Ever

dolf said:
With the current BIOS you shouldn't have your VIVO active? But what to recommend - I will try the X850XT BIOS (PCI-E be carefull with that, VIVO and dual DVI) not the XT PE BIOS.

I'm guessing I just power-down the clocks when using the X850XT BIOS or will the clocks be safe to use from X850 default settings?
As to my VIVO, yeah, it's not active at present (obviously I used an incorrect BIOS) but if you can conjure something up I'm gonna be eternally gratefull to you my friend :toast:

Last edited:

-crimson-

dolf said:
To be honest it isn't BIOS problem. You just got not very good core (but it has 16 pipes ;) ). You have to live with that or to Vmod it. Don't forget about the cooling because that low overclock of the core means more current leakage and much more heat at higher clocks.

I had a look at the Vmod, but I don't have all the equipment for a successful mod. I read this in one of the threads:
if your card runs @ 500/520, thn you need to increase your gpu voltage +0.1v...
you can change it in your bios... +0.1 - +0.3

Is it possible to change it in the bios?

Just for some info:
If I keep my GPU at 500 Mhz, what should the mem frequency be (without even going close to risking the card)? My ATI Silencer 5 rev.2 is on its way.

Thanks!

Eggenberg4Ever said:
I'm guessing I just power-down the clocks when using the X850XT BIOS or will the clocks be safe to use?
As to my VIVO, yeah, it's not active at present (obviously I used an incorrect BIOS) but if you can conjure something up I'm gonna be eternally gratefull to you my friend :toast:

Use one of the attached BIOSes X800GTO VIVO R480 and X850XT VIVO R480. Both are moded to be recognized like described above and with clocks 475MHz core/ 500MHz memory. Try them and report back the results ;) .

Attachments

• X800GTO&X850XT VIVO.ZIP
    68.3 KB · Views: 361

Moonlighter

Hi agaain
I HAve a 3dconnect x850 pro
I use your great flash tools:p , and it workd ok but no 16pipes :rolleyes:
here is my fusses :
4b4b
core r481
Config_die fuses 0xFFFFEFFF *(4 dead pipelines)
Config_Sustrat Fuses 0xFFFFFF9E *84 disable Pipelines)
Config_rom Fuses 0x861
Gb_pipe Select 0x6E48
CONFIG_XSTRAP.8P_DISABLE = 0x02 < what does it mean ?:confused:

I have a question is it possile to do the hard mod?
to fill up the lazer cut ,or conect the wo points in the core with the liquid silver?
Have any one tred to do this suckcesfully :rockout:
Tks A lot to this great Forum:respect:

Moonlighter said:
Hi agaain
I HAve a 3dconnect x850 pro
I use your great flash tools:p , and it workd ok but no 16pipes :rolleyes:
here is my fusses :
4b4b
core r481
Config_die fuses 0xFFFFEFFF *(4 dead pipelines)
Config_Sustrat Fuses 0xFFFFFF9E *84 disable Pipelines)
Config_rom Fuses 0x861
Gb_pipe Select 0x6E48
CONFIG_XSTRAP.8P_DISABLE = 0x02 < what does it mean ?:confused:

I have a question is it possile to do the hard mod?
to fill up the lazer cut ,or conect the wo points in the core with the liquid silver?
Have any one tred to do this suckcesfully :rockout:
Tks A lot to this great Forum:respect:

Yes you can do it (but don't fill the cut - just make a bridge around the cut). If no change in DIE fuses leave it connected and enjoy the card as it is. Clean the dots with something sharp because they are covered with insulating layer.

fanik

Hi (sorry my english is very poor)

Use Device:
0x5D4F: R480, Bus:1,Dev:0
--------------------------
CONFIG_DIE_FUSES 0xFFFF7FFF
CONFIG_SUBSTRATE_FUSES 0xFFFFFF9E
---------------------------------------------

Im edit Bios, but with recomended flash util cant reflash (error 0FL01ress 1 to continue)
np im use other (Gigabyte GVF18 flash itil for ATi lol) with this reflash... but 12pips again =/

/edit/ pls help me... heeeeelp!!! =)

-crimson-

fanik said:

Use Device:

Im edit Bios, but with recomended flash util cant reflash (error 0FL01ress 1 to continue)
np im use other (Gigabyte GVF18 flash itil for ATi lol) with this reflash... but 12pips again =/

This is an example of a card that can be unlocked:

So, looking at your CONFIG_DIE_FUSES and CONFIG_SUBSTRATE_FUSES values, your card is unlockable :(

Attachments

• atitool.JPG
    atitool.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 528
fanik said:

Use Device:

Fanik, with these fuse values you CAN'T unlock to 16 pipes. Sorry :cry: .

fanik

dolf said:
Fanik, with these fuse values you CAN'T unlock to 16 pipes. Sorry :cry: .
why??? W H Y ? ? ? THATS WRONG! =) ...BUT THX =)

-crimson-

Dolf, if you don't mind, I have a question

When we increase the memory frequency, does it also heat it up?
Can we damage the memory by setting the frequency too high?

I did a bench with ATI Tray Tool with 500/500 settings and got about 4250. When I changed the memory to 540 I got about 4580 and at 560 I got just over 4750. Running at 540 for a long time could there be any negative consequences?

Thank you for time and help.:)

-crimson- said:
When we increase the memory frequency, does it also heat it up?
Can we damage the memory by setting the frequency too high?

I did a bench with ATI Tray Tool with 500/500 settings and got about 4250. When I changed the memory to 540 I got about 4580 and at 560 I got just over 4750. Running at 540 for a long time could there be any negative consequences?

Thank you for time and help.:)

Wait for the Silencer. With it you don't need to worry for the heat. You can't increase the Vcore (or Vdd; Vddq) from the BIOS on X800/X850 cards.
It is clear that with 16 pipes and higher frequencies your core (and memory but not significant) will produce more heat. The main source of heat is the core and the mosfets. That heat spreads through the PCB (board) and additionally heats up the memory chips (which has max. heat disperse of 2W per chip). The max. power consumption of X850XT PE is app. 70-80W.

-crimson-

Thank you very much for your reply.

I know there are many variables to consider when over-clocking, but I also would like to ask you what the ideal memory frequency should be when you run the gpu at 500 Mhz? How high can I go? Might there be a "sweet spot" where one has a perfect ratio between the two frequencies? Sorry for soooo many questions but this is very interesting and I value your knowledge! :roll:

I appreciate your help :toast:

Eggenberg4Ever

dolf said:
Use one of the attached BIOSes X800GTO VIVO R480 and X850XT VIVO R480. Both are moded to be recognized like described above and with clocks 475MHz core/ 500MHz memory. Try them and report back the results ;) .

Hi Dolf, thanks for restoring the VIVO & dual DVI's to their proper state.
As far as the BIOS are concerned I'm able to get a stable set of clocks @ 500/70 o/c but anything higher makes for instability & graphics corruption.
I'm a little disappointed (not with your mods ;) ) in that I was expecting much higher clocks with this card (looking at other users clocks of the same card on this & other forums).
May have to upgrade to another card :(

-crimson- said:
Thank you very much for your reply.

I know there are many variables to consider when over-clocking, but I also would like to ask you what the ideal memory frequency should be when you run the gpu at 500 Mhz? How high can I go? Might there be a "sweet spot" where one has a perfect ratio between the two frequencies? Sorry for soooo many questions but this is very interesting and I value your knowledge! :roll:

I appreciate your help :toast:

I can't recommend the "perfect ratio" but you can search for it. Make experiment with different clocks and find the best. Examples: 500/500MHz, 475/450, 520/540, 520/560, 540/590 ............. ;) .

fanik

dolf said:
I can't recommend the "perfect ratio" but you can search for it. Make experiment with different clocks and find the best. Examples: 500/500MHz, 475/450, 520/540, 520/560, 540/590 ............. ;) .

MY BEST 525/582 ROCK STABLE

-crimson-

Thx for the reply dolf and fanik.

Now, this may sound crazy and you are welcome to correct me:

1. I flashed my Connect3D x850 pro with dolf's utility to xt with 16 pipes unlocked and changed it to 500/540, since my card can't go higher than 500 for the gpu. I played X3 and only experienced minor jittering in comparison to my card's stock settings. Temp was +- 62 °C and not too bad FPS (hardly ever lower than 25).
2. Then last night I flashed it with dolf's utility again using the 500/500 with 16 pipes bios. I changed the settings to 500/540 and I expected to get the same performance. However, the bench was slightly lower and when I played the game from the same spot I experienced lower FPS (about 10 FPS less) , lower temperature (+- 58 °C) and more jittering.

In both cases I have set my card's latency to 64 and so are the rest of the slots, like my sound card (Audigy SE 24 bit). I have 1.5 Gigs RAM, a 550 watt PSU and P4 875 2.8 HT.

Dolf, is this possible? Does the bios have some unique settings for XT?

I think my expectations for this card was too high: I honestly thought I could run X3 without any problem using a x850 pro.

Thx :)