• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Guide to Radeon X800/X850 bios modding

Thank you for the help, that is great news. Any idea if it still has vivo functions, if there's no vivo in the new bios is it possible maybe to copy and paste a section of hex from a vivo bios into the non vivo bios so it still addresses the vivo functions?

All the BIOSes are with VIVO support. Just flash and don't make the simple operation complicated.

ArcTan

Hi All,
I've got a x800pro pcie card here that hopefully should unlock

unfortunately the mem(samsung 2ns) isn't so good so would probably run into some problems memory wise

I have a x800xt here as well with samsung 2.0ns ram as well
Looking at taking the x800xt bios and flashing the x800pro to the x800xt bios but I was looking at modding the bios to use lower clocks. Is there a guide on how to mod the clock speeds of a bios?

Hi All,
I've got a x800pro pcie card here that hopefully should unlock

unfortunately the mem(samsung 2ns) isn't so good so would probably run into some problems memory wise

I have a x800xt here as well with samsung 2.0ns ram as well
Looking at taking the x800xt bios and flashing the x800pro to the x800xt bios but I was looking at modding the bios to use lower clocks. Is there a guide on how to mod the clock speeds of a bios?

Finally moddable X800PRO PCI-E card :D . You can unlock it using X800XT PCI-E BIOS. Don't mix up AGP with PCI-E BIOSes. If your card hasn't VIVO you have to edit the BIOS with RaBit and to disable the VIVO support and also to change the clocks (if necessary). Originally the X800XT PCI-E BIOS comes with 500/500MHz.

About the 2.0ns memory - based on my experience (2 cards with 1.6ns) I have to say that 2.0 ns memory usually has better overclocking potentioal than 1.6 ns. The 2.0 ns can reach 550-580MHz but the 1.6 ns can't even reach 600MHz.

ArcTan

Finally moddable X800PRO PCI-E card :D . You can unlock it using X800XT PCI-E BIOS. Don't mix up AGP with PCI-E BIOSes. If your card hasn't VIVO you have to edit the BIOS with RaBit and to disable the VIVO support and also to change the clocks (if necessary). Originally the X800XT PCI-E BIOS comes with 500/500MHz.

About the 2.0ns memory - based on my experience (2 cards with 1.6ns) I have to say that 2.0 ns memory usually has better overclocking potentioal than 1.6 ns. The 2.0 ns can reach 550-580MHz but the 1.6 ns can't even reach 600MHz.
thanks for the reply
This x800pro doesn't clock mem past 500 so I think I'll need to use RaBit to mod a x800xt from my x800xt

Both cards are non vivo and pcie
Actually both come from the same source and both use GC20 Samsung DDR3

thanks for the reply
This x800pro doesn't clock mem past 500 so I think I'll need to use RaBit to mod a x800xt from my x800xt

Both cards are non vivo and pcie
Actually both come from the same source and both use GC20 Samsung DDR3

Could you please post copy of the non VIVO X800XT PCI-E BIOS. Thanks :) .

BGis

dolf
Thanks for the autobios download , worked great for me . Running at 16 pipes now on an 850pro. In the 3dview for ATiTool it showed 149 avg fps with 12 pipes and now its at avg of 239:roll:

Great stuff and thaks again......

Now that I think of it the 149 may be way out. I,m not sure if thats with standard vga, the driver wouldnt load at first With no drivers is it a 0 pipes opened deal ?

Last edited:
dolf
Thanks for the autobios download , worked great for me . Running at 16 pipes now on an 850pro. In the 3dview for ATiTool it showed 149 avg fps with 12 pipes and now its at avg of 239:roll:

Great stuff and thaks again......
Which 850 did you get? my ATI 850pro from newegg won't unlock because of DIE fuse cut's :(

I'm still looking for more cards for my friends computers

BGis

I bought mine at Futureshop In Canada about 9 months ago. It was a great deal ( a return/opened package) so I got it for $190.00. hope you have good luck with finding one you can unlock. The card is made by ATI X850PRO AGP 256 meg 1.6 mem

Which 850 did you get? my ATI 850pro from newegg won't unlock because of DIE fuse cut's :(

I'm still looking for more cards for my friends computers

Don't buy Connect3D look for HIS, MSI or ATI X850PRO VIVO AGP (first 2 brands will unlock 100% the ATI should be app. with 90% probability).

ArcTan

Could you please post copy of the non VIVO X800XT PCI-E BIOS. Thanks :) .
I've attached it in zip format

Not sure if I've done it right but I used atiwinflash to save the bios
had a look around the bios using RaBit 1.5 though not sure on most things besides core clocks

This is for 256MB x800xt pci express using Samsung GC20 2.0ns DDR3

Attachments

• x800xt-pcie.zip
    31.9 KB · Views: 370
Don't buy Connect3D look for HIS, MSI or ATI X850PRO VIVO AGP (first 2 brands will unlock 100% the ATI should be app. with 90% probability).
Thanks for the heads up on those brands. I got my x800pro and have been doing alot of benchmarking, nearly identical scores to the x850pro I bought earlier, some tests were actually a little higher score "faster" probly due to the lower latency memory chips on the x800pro. I have installed an Arctic Cooling AT4 ATI Silencer with AS5 thermal compound on the x800pro. The AT4 Silencer fits both the x850pro and x800pro like a glove. The built by ati x850pro had the identical stock cooler as the saphire x800pro. Same part number, fan model and everything. With the Arctic Cooling AT4 ATI silencer on the x800; temps stay below 38c even after all the 3d benching. Now I'm ready to see if it has good pipes :)

Last edited:
hi dolf, I could use some guidance, I don't think all my pipes are good, all the dx diagnostics run but the 3d applications crash, and now when starting windows, the blank screen between the logo.sys page and desktop is all garbled untill the desktop loads. one time the PC shut down while in the garbled blank screen. Does the autoflash cd make a backup of the original bios? also, with the xt bios, the ati traytools 3d view shows a grid of boxes rendering parts of the display in mirror or upside down? [edit] been reading some more, I found this to be discribed as the checker patern from tile rendering through bad pipes. So, I guess they were locked for a reason on this one. I'll try to put it back to 12p and keep looking but let me know what you think.

Last edited:
update, tried to go back to a saphire x800pro agp vivo 1.6ns bios and it's running without crashing but has lotsa artifacts, I'm thinking that I didn't close the bad pipes? I'm gonna go see what ati tools says. I think I need to tell the flash program something to make it take a new bios?

Ati-tool is reporting that it went back to 12pipes, I have uninstalled and re-installed drivers and tried flashing with emty.bin, then manually reflashing with the above mentioned bios. I don't know how to get it back to stock without artifacts any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the heads up on those brands. I got my x800pro and have been doing alot of benchmarking, nearly identical scores to the x850pro I bought earlier, some tests were actually a little higher score "faster" probly due to the lower latency memory chips on the x800pro. I have installed an Arctic Cooling AT4 ATI Silencer with AS5 thermal compound on the x800pro. The AT4 Silencer fits both the x850pro and x800pro like a glove. The built by ati x850pro had the identical stock cooler as the saphire x800pro. Same part number, fan model and everything. With the Arctic Cooling AT4 ATI silencer on the x800; temps stay below 38c even after all the 3d benching. Now I'm ready to see if it has good pipes :)

I have had X800XT PE before my current X850XT PE AGP and can say that you are absolutely correct. The X800XT PE (at the same clocks) in some applications is a bit better than X850XT. About the pipes unlock - obviously you have a bad pipe. In order to close that bad pipe you need the original BIOS and atiflash. In DOS mode you need: atiflash -f -p -newbios 0 bios.bin command. If your card doesn't work normally after that - try to RMA it if you can. Sorry to heare that your luck to have 16 pipes in fact is no luck to have bad pipe :mad: .

I have had X800XT PE before my current X850XT PE AGP and can say that you are absolutely correct. The X800XT PE (at the same clocks) in some applications is a bit better than X850XT. About the pipes unlock - obviously you have a bad pipe. In order to close that bad pipe you need the original BIOS and atiflash. In DOS mode you need: atiflash -f -p -newbios 0 bios.bin command. If your card doesn't work normally after that - try to RMA it if you can. Sorry to heare that your luck to have 16 pipes in fact is no luck to have bad pipe :mad: .
correct, I have bad pipe/s and no original bios because I didn't know all of the steps to prepair, just ran the boot cd... For some reason I have a copy of my x850pro bios on C:\ I think maybe by pressing too many buttons on ati-tool? wish I had done that for the x800pro :p I was looking for a way to directly address the pipes, maybe I can select one quad or another in rabit to see which are bad, maybe there's a way to selectively lock a quad?

correct, I have bad pipe/s and no original bios because I didn't know all of the steps to prepair, just ran the boot cd... For some reason I have a copy of my x850pro bios on C:\ I think maybe by pressing too many buttons on ati-tool? wish I had done that for the x800pro :p I was looking for a way to directly address the pipes, maybe I can select one quad or another in rabit to see which are bad, maybe there's a way to selectively lock a quad?

Close 1, 2 and 3 quads (separate BIOS image for every case). Flash and test. If you suceed to eliminate the bad quad try all the PRoBIOSes available in the collection.

Close 1, 2 and 3 quads (separate BIOS image for every case). Flash and test. If you suceed to eliminate the bad quad try all the PRoBIOSes available in the collection.
I've managed to get it working without any artifacts using the atix800provivo bios and closing 3 quads, perhaps I can RMA the card? Thanks for your help, if only there was a way I could specify which quad to disable?

I've managed to get it working without any artifacts using the atix800provivo bios and closing 3 quads, perhaps I can RMA the card? Thanks for your help, if only there was a way I could specify which quad to disable?

There should be a way to select which exactly pipe quad (on cores with 16 pipes unlocked on-die) to be activated and which to be blocked. It is connected with CONFIG_ROM_FUSES and GB_PIPE_SELECT. There should be 3 or 4 BIOS types for every case and I am going to play with that. If you further flash your card with different PRO BIOSes please write downd the values for the above config and gb fuses.

I will check some other bioses tonight. I have downloaded several and have tried the saphire800provivoagp1.6ns, ati800provivoagp1.6 and abit800provivo1.6, as well as an xtpe bios, which for some reason turned off the fan, so I didn't continue with it. None of the pro bioses that I have tried have the bad pipes closed, unfortunately, I didn't save any of the config data. All of them except the ati bios showed the garbled startup screen, so I decided to stick with the ati for testing with 1 2 and 3 quads closed. This is where I stopped to test some benchmarks to see that there is only a slight decrease with performance from 12 good pipes to 4 good pipes, about a 5300 point difference for aquamark. Also, it took the atix850provivo2.0ns bios that I have dumped from the x850pro without any problems other than showing the bad pipe tile patern, I checked the x850pro bios in rabit and it shows the memory write delay is at 1.5 rather than 2.0, perhaps ati is saving some money on ramchips and still runing them at 1.5?

OO, GB_PIPE_SELECT.... This is interesting.. If my understanding is right, I should be able see a different pipe select in posters ati-tool data, grab their bios.zip files and compare for differences wherever GB_PIPE_SELECT is via hex compared to mine then reconfigure GB_PIPE_SELECT datato determine if GB_PIPE_SELECT changes which pipe quad is being used.. I wonder if GB is short for GOOD/BAD.

[edit]~I've done alot of reading over about 75 pages of posts looking for different GB_PIPE_SELECT for 12 pipe cards and have come across a sapphire x800GT that was DIE locked, with 8 pipes factory. 2 quads closed via rom, and one quad bad/die-locked from the factory, The poster was able to go to 12 pipes, but not 16.

This x800gt card has the same GB_PIPE_SELECT data as my card, 0x12B84 but not the same ROM_FUSES data Their ROM_FUSES data is 0x862 = 2quads ROM closed or 8 active pipes.

My Sapphire x800pro info showed:
CONFIG_DIE_FUSES 0xFFF7FFFF
CONFIG_SUBSTRATE_FUSES 0xFFFFFF9F
ROM_FUSES 0x2041 = 1 quad ROM CLOSED, or 12 active pipes.
GB_PIPE_SELECT 0x12B84

ROM_FUSES data used to be 0x4021 = one Quad locked via BIOS.

So, in order for this to work I need to modify a saphire x800pro bios to read like my above ROM_FUSES and GB_PIPE_SELECT and I should be OK.

Last edited:
OO, GB_PIPE_SELECT.... This is interesting.. If my understanding is right, I should be able see a different pipe select in posters ati-tool data, grab their bios.zip files and compare for differences wherever GB_PIPE_SELECT is via hex compared to mine then reconfigure GB_PIPE_SELECT datato determine if GB_PIPE_SELECT changes which pipe quad is being used.. I wonder if GB is short for GOOD/BAD.

[edit]~I've done alot of reading over about 75 pages of posts looking for different GB_PIPE_SELECT for 12 pipe cards and have come across a sapphire x800GT that was DIE locked, with 8 pipes factory. 2 quads closed via rom, and one quad bad/die-locked from the factory, The poster was able to go to 12 pipes, but not 16.

This x800gt card has the same GB_PIPE_SELECT data as my card, 0x12B84 but not the same ROM_FUSES data Their ROM_FUSES data is 0x862 = 2quads ROM closed or 8 active pipes.

My Sapphire x800pro info showed:
CONFIG_DIE_FUSES 0xFFF7FFFF
CONFIG_SUBSTRATE_FUSES 0xFFFFFF9F
ROM_FUSES 0x2041 = 1 quad ROM CLOSED, or 12 active pipes.
GB_PIPE_SELECT 0x12B84

ROM_FUSES data used to be 0x4021 = one Quad locked via BIOS.

So, in order for this to work I need to modify a saphire x800pro bios to read like my above ROM_FUSES and GB_PIPE_SELECT and I should be OK.

My advice is to compare the X800PRO VIVO AGP ATI BIOS from the collection (in hex editor) and to eliminate the equal. Use just these which are different. After the flash you could have different format of the ROM_FUSES: (0x2041, 0x861, 0x4021, 0xA61 ....). I consider that this is the key for the selection of the pipes on core without on-die locked quads. (1 - means 1 quad locked on BIOS level, the rest should mean which exactly quad)

I have found the only in/common aspects to other bioses being 1 quad locked DIE, and 2 quad locked via rom, and GB_PIPE_SELECT being equal to my card, both of these cards came from sapphire, only one is x800GT that unlocked to x800pro 12pipes. Perhaps my card came from the same lot as that GT, same GB_PIPE_SELECT addresses? I have not found any PRO-vivo bioses with CONFIG_FUSE_ROM or GB_PIPE_SELECT that match to mine.
I went through hundreds of pages and found 5 cards listed by posters that all had something in-common, That being the card was either x800 series having the ability to use up to 12 pipes "meaning either OPEN CORE or DIE LOCKED 1 quad and have found 5 unique card configurations with different GB_PIPE_SELECT settings.

as follows
UNIQUE config number 1
open die fueses x800gto 1/2, 12 pipes enabled,
ROM_FUSE=0x261 or 0x861 "pci-e?"
GBPS=0x2724

UNIQUE config number 2
DIE LOCKED 12 pipes enabled x800pro sapphire AND power color x850pro R480
ROM_FUSES=0x20 for sapphire
ROM_FUSES=0x261 for Power Color x850pro R480
GBPS=0x227A4

Unique Config number 3
DIE LOCKED to 12 pipes "UNDER THE CORE" PCI-E PRO-VIVO
GBPS=0x6E48

Unique Config number 4
All either OPEN OR Die locked to 12 or 8 pipes, all are x800GT/0 agp or pci-e
in the case of the Die Locked to 12 pipe card being ROM locked to 8 pipes x800GT, the ROM_FUSES=0x862 and GB_PIPE_SELECT=0x12B84 This is interesting!

in the case of the non vivo, non pro x800 sapphire hybrid it was DIE locked "SUBSTRATE AND DIE had ODD FUSE CONFIGURATIONS but I DIDN'T make a note; it was not ROM locked
ROM_FUSES=0xA60
GBPS=0x12B84

I am not sure how to change the ROM_FUSES from the characthor 6108 to match 4021 and haven't found GB_P_S within the hex I havn't found another bios available for download that has ATI TOOL results showing GB_P_S=0x12B84 :(

SUCCESS!!!! it's back to 12 active good pipes! I checked my current bios with ati-tool, noted my current Config rom fuse data at 0x8032, and noted GB_PIPE_SELECT changes with corresponding ROM_FUSES, in this case with ROM_FUSES at 0x8023 GP_P_S changed to 0x20100, found another hex editor, called xvi32 and opened my current atipro vivo bios that has the 3 pipes closed, changed the bits 8023 to 4021, saved, opened in rabbit, then resaved, and reflashed, went into ati-tool and checked the data and it changed to ROM_FUSES 0x4021 and GB_PIPE_SELECT changed back to 0x12B84 :O yay!