1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Guide us to a new system :) please...

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by psyko12, Mar 30, 2010.

1. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Hi ladies/gents, long time no see =), me and my friend are building a new system for him because it's his birthday, and his previous system has broken down. So now I'm not really that updated with new stuff I've been out of the tech scene for a while.
    Well could you help us build a system with a parts/price list that I will include in this thread.

We would like to have a decent rig that will last him some years and future proof him.
    Basically he likes to play games more of FPS and RPGs and a lot of Dawn of War II.

So fellow TPUer's kindly shed some light to us with the part/price list that I will provide. The budget would be 30k pesos min. to 50k pesos max.

Hoping you could build us a good Dual core or even better a good quad system.

Kindly choose the following for us:
    (you can suggest just say name/models that are not in the list so we could look at it if we consider)

Processor (Can be AMD or Intel)
    Mobo
    Videocard (pref. ATI)
    HDD
    RAM

Kindly suggest also how much Watts of psu we should use (we can preorder some good brands, also have a bit overhead for dual vids might consider if we can squeeze another into budget)

As for the case we have some custom case to develop.

Thank you.

Pricelist attached as pdf

Hoping for your quickest reply :)

Attached Files:

2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i5 750 is getting some good reviews - powerful, oc-able, and cool, inexpensive. normally i would recommend a PhenomII Quad like the 955 , but i5 really has the market locked right now...

as for mobo idk, someone here will.

videocard i'd go 5850. it is the best possible option right now if you can find one. be careful to get a reference one if you want to oc it at all.

HDD is not too hard. a 60gb or so SSD if you can afford as a system drive, then a 300-750 for excess storage. Go Western Digital if you can, i truthfully don't worry about the brand much.

RAM go corsair. XMS is a good alternative to the more expensive dominator series, with some good returns.

psyko12 says thanks.
  3. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for your quick reply could you select stuff from the list that I uploaded if it's not troublesome.. as for using iX processor's I doubt it'd be not expensive here it cost's around 20k plus which doesn't leave much room for other good parts.

4. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    well the i5-750 is on your list at 10k... and any comparable cpu is right up there with it. it still looks like the price/performance winner but idk your availability situation and all...

i also don't know intels line-up

for AMD
    Phenom II X3 720 (2.8G) 6mb black ed. 6640
    MSI 790GX-GD65 AMD790 HD3300Xfire 7510
    Inno3D GTS250 1gb ddr3 256b dual dvi 6200 unless you can afford
    PC HD5850 1gb ddr5 256bit @ 15k
    2x2GB Kingston 1333 SODIMM ddr3 @ 2800(5600 total)
    640gb Western Digital SATA 16mb 3000
    SATA cable / SATA power cable

comes to around 26k - 35k if you go with the ATI 5850

that motherboard has integrated video as well though - and it's ATi. it's only a 3300 though. if that is enough GPU for you you can drop the other.

this motherboard is 1-2k cheaper with no video, but it's also an older chipset
    MSI 785GM-E65 Vpcie/S/GL/port mem

it's really hard because pricing and availability seems to suck there. if i had wha ti have here choices would be a bit different.

5. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Very true about availability of the parts here. Unless we go for online or special order which would cost more..

Thank you will consider suggesting that system to him. :) I hope others come up with their suggestions.

Also guys/gals you can suggest stuff not in the list so if we can see people sell those here via online or buy and sell we can get it hopefully.

Thank you again !! xD

This is a start :)

6. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Damn Bruu!!! you have the cutiest avatar I've ever seen, asian chicks are hot:toast::toast:

psyko12 says thanks.
  7. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    @digibucc yeah sorry about that, I was looking at the older pricelist, got multiple of them downloaded lol.

We can make exception for the i5 as it is the best price / performance chip out and available here.
    do you have a build for the intel side with that chip and the provided list.

And yes we might buy 1 5850 for it may it be amd or intel build the card will most definitely be that one....

Would an 850watt or more would suffice (headroom for another card/ dvd sata drive, also he doesn't OC =])

Available power supplies here near our place are as follows:
    (These are ordered not on the same shop as the list)
    Gigabyte odin 800-1k watts
    ACBelle(AcBell)? same wattage

8. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Now now chaos behave :toast: help us build a system :D

9. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    really though, gorgeous :)

yeah 800 would be plenty. i have an i7 system, crossfire, 3 hdds, tons of usb powered periphs and a 650W. the single biggest mistake people make is going for quantity over quality. get a better PSU before a bigger one. gigabyte is probably ok but i have never tried them. try to find a PC Power and Cooling, or rosewill, or a better name brand if you can, around 600W.

Asus P7P55D LE 2000/Crossfire @ 8k is a good mobo for that i5

10. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Alright thank you.

So a good branded psu with 600w or more can power this machine.

Thankyou for you reply. I will go to bed in a bit 11:25pm here.

Will talk to him so I would be able to know what is his final budget for his machine. Man I hope it's big haha as it's his birthday and I want him to enjoy this rig as I will enjoy putting it together for him.

Hope you guys got more builds or suggestions to give.

Thank you digibucc for your time and help! Will consult here after I talk to him.

11. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Any chance of obtaining a 955BE? I think if you can find one it will be great. 5850 costs more than a bomb but its going to last forever provided you dont abuse it.

psyko12 says thanks.
  12. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Sorry not really updated with new tech but is that an AMD chip? :) If so will try to look at our local buy and sell forum.

13. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yes it is AMD, it's not on your list - but the 945 is at 8420 - that makes me think the 955 will be at least 9500-10,000 , which is right on par with the i5 which reviews say is better.

I have always been AMd , this is my first intel rig in a decade - i would love to recommend AMD but the i5 really seems to have it beat this round.

14. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Allright thanks for the previews to the upcoming system. Will scour high and low for the suggested parts and compare prices if it's reasonable. =] Will check in a few hours as I've got to hit the hay. Gonna go out really early later :]

Keep the suggestive and building juices flowing every bit counts :D

15. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    *bump*

16. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    What will be the main purpose for that rig? If its just for gaming, you might look amd, cheap efficient and cool, does the job. If you want brute force and max powa, then go intel! ;)

17. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Well it'll be watching movies with his 22" WS panel, gaming more on FPS/Dawn of War II and downloading.

I've suggested the intel i5 processor and he will be looking at it if the price is fair enough.

But if all else fails better find a new source to get parts cause that store where I got the price list is awfully bad with warranties.