1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

H55 confusion

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by MN12BIRD, Jan 12, 2010.

1. MN12BIRD

MN12BIRD

Thanks Received:
    Okay so intel has new i3 CPU's out with integrated GPU in the CPU package. Cool. But they say they require an H55 motherboard. Fair enough H55 has the graphics ports on them.

BUT the H55 motherboards say they also support i5 and i7 1156 CPU's too. WTH? How can this work? If the i3 CPU has the GPU in it, and there is no NB on the H55 does this mean if you use an i5 or i7 CPU on the H55 motherboard the onboard graphics wont work?? Do you get basic graphics and then the performance is accellerated with the i3?

It makes sense to me if the GPU is in the CPU and the i5 and i7 don't have the GPU something is going to be different. Yet I can't find any info on H55 motherboards saying anything about it! You would think this would be an important thing to mention on the motherboard manufactures descriptions.

2. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Basically, you'd have to use a graphics card if the chip has no GPU.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Izliecies New Member

Thanks Received:
    There are no onboard graphics on the H55. It's built in the CPU.

4. MN12BIRD

MN12BIRD

Thanks Received:
    That's what I figured. I can't beleive I checked H55 boards on MSI and Gigabytes website, and on Newegg and none of them mentioned that! Even in the graphics section where it mentions all the features of the onboard graphics it doesn't mention it won't work if you don't use the proper i3 CPU with it. Gezz you think they might want to try and make that clear. They have all these red "attention" notes about the OC genie or RAM support but nothing about the fact the video might not work! Strange.

5. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    When I was looking at them it did specify to use the onboard video you need to use the correct processor.

6. MN12BIRD

MN12BIRD

Thanks Received:
    The MSi H55-GD65 on the MSi website doesn't say it anywhere. You can look under the overview, under the little spot talking about the graphics and in the specifications. It doesn't even hint at the fact the graphics only work with certain CPU's. They warn you about the OC genie, They warn you it doesn't come with a floppy drive cable, they even warn you it doesn't work with Windows 98 but do you think they mention the video might not work? No! Stupid MSi how can you be so stupid.

I noticed now Gigabyte mentions it. They have "see note 2" beside all the graphics ports it has. Then at the very bottom of the page it says "note 2" and mentions the CPU has to support it. It's very small and I think they need to make this clear. But at least it's there. More than I can say for MSi!

Still newegg doesn't mention a thing about it on either the MSi or Gb boards.

I know some of us are smart enough to catch on because we know Intel now puts the GPU in the CPU package. But this isn't common knowledge for all system builders. Most people are going to see that the board has onboard video ports on the back and that it takes a socket 1156 CPU. I know this because I sell this kind of stuff to system builders. Many of them don't keep up with the latest chipsets like we do. They match a board to a socket and get on with it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  7. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    Honestly anyone looking to build a PC knows what it is. If they don't do the research it isn't really the manufacturers fault.

8. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    I know it... but then again I live here.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  9. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi

Thanks Received:
    Usa?

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. MN12BIRD

MN12BIRD

Thanks Received:
    Heh I think he meant he lives here at TPU! hahahaha yeah most of us know this stuff but trust me I can see it being a problem where I work. Lots of the system builders and repair guys are kinda old school. They can build systems and diagnose stuff since they've been doing it for so long. But they are out of it when it comes to the latest chipsets and stuff like that. Like most of them couldn't tell you the difference between a Phenom and a Phenom II or a 800 series and 900 series Core i7. The kinda stuff we know they don't because they don't follow all the latest stuff. They probably don't need too. Most of the system they repair are like P4 era and if they upgrade they are still using Core 2 parts.

Jizzler says thanks.