1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Half-Life 2: Episode 3?

Discussion in 'Games' started by t77snapshot, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Maybe so but they look good and i dont see anyone finding anything else.

2. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Because there isn't anything accept for one painted concept design on the Valve website. However they are cool screens :toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    If the end products looks like them then that would be sweet lord knows the graphics need an overhaul.

CDdude55 says thanks.
  4. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Those screens do look nice, even if they are painted.:rockout: The Source engine is fairly old and wouldn't mind if they updated it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Clutch442

Clutch442 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The first one looks like Downtown Manhattan, around Broadway south of Canal Street.

Don't know if there are any "New Yorkers" out there that agree with me.

6. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 1st photo is a definite fake, if you take a look around the screenshot, there is zero jagged lines and I have never seen AA progress that far without crashes, hangs, and driver issues unless if it were previewed on a developer's rackmount at an Expo, and Valve has never previewed anything of EP3 in any event. Also, look at the curve of the crowbar, there is a white, pixelated, slim piece that are leftovers from a background cut-out. It is just copy and paste. Besides, is this supposed to take place in the Arctic? As for the second one, however, I have never seen that screenshot before. It seems more modern with the game interface now, so I can't judge it. Everything in the screenshots has very similar detail traits to other games powered by the Source engine. Plus, if you look at those windows on the right, frost is on them. I dunno if this is real, fake, concept, or level design however I think this just might be it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  7. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Found another level design on GamesRadar.com, I found out that the base i was referring about was actually a housing station for the Borealis. I guess the Combine captured it :(. In this pic, advisors patrol the site while the Borealis is supported on bridges that the Combine forces cross to the Borealist to further investigate it with ease.

[​IMG]

Eli would die from a heart attack if he ever saw this in the game lol.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  8. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

“At the end of Episode Two, Gordon and Alyx watch a video recorded by Dr. Judith Mossman, a scientist who worked with Eli Vance and the resistance. Mossman reports of the discovery of a lost cargo ship, the Borealis, which supposedly carries a dangerous new technology developed by Black Mesa rivals Aperture Science. Episode Three will most likely take place aboard the Borealis, where you’ll be sent to retrieve the tech before the Combine get to it. Sharp eyes will notice a group of Combine Advisors floating in the concept art. While you never directly fight these brain suckers in Episode Two, we’d put good money on being able to pump ‘em full of lead in the episodic trilogy’s final chapter.”

Quote from source- http://www.fpsrantings.com/2007/10/02/half-life-2-episode-3-is-indeed-coming

CDdude55, crazy pyro and PCpraiser100 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

10. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I already posted this, first page.

CDdude55 says thanks.
  11. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Cool picks but they arn't anything new. They were released almost a year ago. I want some new info on episode 3. I wish valve wasn't so hush about it.

CDdude55 says thanks.
  12. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    Episode 3 it is going to be made with improved Source engine even more than Left 4 Dead. Man that engine is 500% improved I love the lighting and how it runs. HL episode 3 in that engine is some thing to be desired.

CDdude55 says thanks.
  13. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    word.:cool:

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    source of info or it didn't happen.

Source Engine is a truly remarkable piece of software, over four years old and still being improved upon.

15. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is a reason why, though, because they want to keep ahead of the competition. The biggest competitor was Halo, because in the release of Halo 1 it took away Valve's profit expections by a lot, so they took precautions with Half-Life 2 and the Episodic saga. In E3, they only demonstrated the pre-developed scenes of Half-Life 2, so surprises were not really broken when it was preview. but after that Bungie Studios didn't know what was coming before them. So anyway, they are keeping it a secret in the meantime so that competing developers will not be that aware of it.

I have also found more info online saying that some employee from Valve spoke out by saying that they are also revising the Source engine, since it is close to showing its unbelievable age. The employee says that there is definite going to be DirectX10 (maybe 11) and a chance of OpenCL if the team has some spare time. The reason why they haven't done this for a while is because of the surveys that they release to see if they should upgrade or not. But now that the populations between single core and dual-core are starting to tilt, its a green light. With this in mind, theycan finally comence in a more enjoyable graphic experience as well as finally addng better ray-tracing for the props cause light ray-tracing is sooooo Team Fortress. Assumed ETA from Valve, 2010 which means they are going to give Source a final run before V2 with EP3 or ditch 2009 until V2 arrives.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
    CDdude55 and HolyCow02 say thanks.
  16. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    that's why i love Valve, they've become completely independent from any Big Name Publisher, have a decent online activation system, another online match making service (L4D notwithstanding) and produce quality games at their own pace with no outside pressure. i know some of you will disagree with me seemingly ass-kissing, but i've not had an iota of trouble regarding them.

17. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 to that. Valve is one developer that is doing everything right. Sure it takes longer to get the games out, but they are Quality games. I mean sure, I want EP3 NOW :)D) but I would rather wait and have it be AWSOME than get it now and it be underdeveloped.:respect: