• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Half-life 2 Issues, crashes, need help!

System Name Xazax
Processor 6700k
Motherboard ASrock Fatal1ty z170
Cooling H240X
Memory 16GB DDR4 2800mhz
Video Card(s) Gtx 980ti
Storage 1TB Mushkin
Display(s) ASUS PG27 G-sync
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35
Power Supply Corsair 1500w Digital
Keyboard Patriot Viper
Software Windows 10
Im totally P-O right now i really want to run through Half-life 2 and ESP1/2 But for the love of dear jesus monkey balls i cant seem to get it to stop crashing!!!!

Played Half life 2 for 5-6 mins then saved and left for dinner, when i try to reload it it just gives me an error "HL 2 has stop responding and needs to close" every single time i try to load the game. I was using 182.50 so i try a different Nvidia driver, 185.85 still same issues, so i go back to 182.50 and if i start the game from the C Drive directly from the folder(not the desktop short-cut) it actually loads but was extremely choppy.

So i go on to try ESP1 which opens and was playing fine, until it started freaking out and the textures got all wierd.

So i give up and start playing some other games.

Well i try again this time installing 185.85 drivers AGAIN, and low and behold magically HL 2 opens up and works normal i play the game and have no issues for one hour then while doing the hover-car mission, the game again crashes to desktop giving me the same error, now no matter what driver i choose, what i do it just imminently crashes to desktop.

Giving up.. again... i decided just to play HL 2 ESP1 on 182.06 drivers it worked just fine, played the whole game almost until the very end when i reach the train yard and getting the survivors out then again the damn game crashes to desktop!

I Just don't get what is causing HL 2 to crash continually upon start-up and ESP 1 to crash randomly.. i've tried different drivers etc, closing programs, im just so lost.

Every other game works fine, Empire total war i played for 3 hours STRAIGHT non-stop and no crashes or glitches, BF2, and supreme commander no issues, no crashing, WaW runs fine and doesnt crash either......

Also on a side note, Crysis Warhead seems to randomly crash as well it runs great and all but just freezes up... and screen goes black.

Last edited:
System Name Fractality 1.0
Processor Intel Core i7-860 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems and four Fractal Design 120mm fans, sleeved
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce 580 XLR8
Storage 64GB and 180GB SSDs / 1TB and 2TB HDDs
Display(s) 24" Acer V243W
Case Fractal Design Define R2, sleeved all I/O cables
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750W modular, sadly only stock sleeving
Software Win 7 64bit
Have you got HL2 from steam? If yes, de-install and reinstall. I had that very same issue. Reinstall solved it for me. Just make sure you save your savegames. Also, on the game properties, go to launch options and type "-32bit", the 64bit-mode seems to be unstalbe.

Edit: See my thread on that similar issue
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=92432

System Name Xazax
Processor 6700k
Motherboard ASrock Fatal1ty z170
Cooling H240X
Memory 16GB DDR4 2800mhz
Video Card(s) Gtx 980ti
Storage 1TB Mushkin
Display(s) ASUS PG27 G-sync
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35
Power Supply Corsair 1500w Digital
Keyboard Patriot Viper
Software Windows 10
Thanks that seems to have solved all these stupid issues!