1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hang while loading taskbar at boot

Discussion in 'General Software' started by mwaddoups, Dec 20, 2006.

1. mwaddoups New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a strange problem with my PC. When it is booting into XP, the boot process hangs with no hard disk access for about a minute while loading the taskbar. What I mean by this, is that all I see is my desktop background without ANYTHING else for about a minute. My PC then proceeds to load as normal and runs fine. This problem seems like it could be linked to having the power cut off to the PC while it is off, though it is strange for it to respond that way. I say that it could be linked to power because this has happened 2 or 3 times when the power has been turned off so I can open up the PC. Anyone here able to help?

Thanks.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    By ANY/SOME chance, have you disabled the RPC oriented services in services.msc? Run services.msc from the Start Button -> RUN command & see...

There is a registry hack for making the taskbar & explorer.exe shell (your desktop) run in separate threads, & it MAY help, & we can "get into that" once you tell me the results of your check here.

APK

P.S.=> A virus scan & antispyware scan (AdAware or Spybot here) might be in order also... just-in-case! apk

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. mwaddoups New Member

Thanks Received:
    Both RPC and RPC locator are enabled, and Ad-Aware and Spybot found nothing...what is this hack?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    HOW TO DO THIS:

1.) You setup a seperate thread of execution/process for the Desktop/Taskbar and 1 for each instance of explorer by editing the registry here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

2.) Add a new DWORD value DesktopProcess & make it have a value of 1 (hex & decimal are same here, so does not matter if you enter it as either one) by using regedit.exe edit menu NEW submenu, or rightclick in the right hand side pane of regedit once this key is open & add it there.

3.) Reboot so change takes effect.

* Hope that helps some... it's guesswork but it may help you out!

:)

APK

P.S.=> You can't do this & also run Active Desktop though, that is the ONE catch... apk

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    It could be some background process that is hanging while trying to get windows to recognize its code it needs to run. Ive had this problem before and edited my startup.log in regedit. Worked wonders for me.

-The Eagle

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. mwaddoups New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried putting it in another thread, but there was still no effect - the same problem happened. If it is a background process hanging, is there a way of working out what it is - I have a pretty minimalist startup (I use StartupCPL).

How do you tell if a background process is causing it to hang? I opened process explorer on boot and didn't notice anything odd - what should I be looking for?

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. mwaddoups New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, I basically went through the process explorer, and I have identified the problem as one of the svchost.exe processes - the one which runs the DcomLaunch service and Terminal Services. I disabled Terminal services and this did not help, so it must be something to do with DcomLaunch. When I end the process, it automatically shuts down, and although I cancelled that using "shutdown -a" it is still obviously a needed component.

Any ideas?

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. ThetaSigma New Member

Thanks Received:
    Before blaming it on a system service, I would definitely disable your startup apps. 99% of all 'hanging at your desktop during boot' problems are related to apps that load with Windows. The other 1% either being system services, corrupt files, viruses or a mixture of the three.

Start -> Run -> type MSCONFIG. Under 'Startup Selection', click "Diagnostic Startup", Apply & then OK. Reboot. If the problem stops, there is something loading at Windows boot that is causing this. If it still continues, it may be a system service as you said.

To check for system service errors (and their causes), right click "My Computer" -> Manage -> Event Viewer -> System. Look for any Errors (noted by a big red X). You can check the causes of the errors by right clicking on each one and selecting Properties. Note the error code that it lists and either post it here or Google for it. But make sure that the time code on the error matches the exact time that you are seeing these hangs during boot.

See how that works and post back. Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  9. mwaddoups New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well before you had posted I put the service into manual and that has fixed the entire problem. Also looking in the event log I was getting continuous errors about an "Application Management Service", which have now gone as well - probably related to the DCOM Server Process Launcher. But the problem is pretty much fixed. Thanks for all your help.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. ThetaSigma New Member

Thanks Received:
    Glad to hear everything works now but just remember, if a system service is causing that kind of problem, it is best to find the actual cause of the problem. Faulty services that have been disabled always find a way to rear their nasty heads in the future when you least expect it.

But in your case, you got lucky...the DCOM service is not needed in most cases unless you are on a network. Besides, most DCOM functionality has been replaced by Microshaft's .Net Framework anyways :)

11. mwaddoups New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I set up a bat file which simply runs net start dcomlaunch on startup inside the Startup (User) and this seems to work much better now...so I shouldn't have to worry about it. So even though disabling the service stopped the problem, it might not be the cause of the problem? I might have to try and isolate it further. Thanks anyway.

10 Year Member at TPU