• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hard-Disks keep breaking down?

System Name Dell Vostro 5630 | PHaS3-XXI
Processor Intel Core i7 1360P | AMD Ryzen 7 5700X PBO
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
Cooling Corsair H105 (AM4 Retention yay!)
Memory 16GB Quad Channel LPDDR5 4800 | Crucial 64GB DDR4 Pro 3200 C16
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2050 | Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 Stock Cooler @ XT BIOS
Storage Kioxia 512GB NVMe |Crucial MX200 SSD + Samsung 980 1TB + 870QVO 1TB + 12TB HDDs
Display(s) Dell Laptop Display 1920x1200 | Dell UltraSharp U2719D
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Logitech G403 | Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores @_@
Yeah i had a home server with a dodgy 500W psu that was cooking hard drives too. Replaced PSU, no more issues.

Voltages are:
3.328V on the 3.3;
4.920V on the 5;
12.040V on the 12.
Seems okay, right?
About the disk, I'll probably contact WD to see if they can send me a different one- maybe black or green, instead of the blue.

I had a buddy 2 years ago go through 4 drives in 1 year just like you - He swapped out his PSU and has never had a fail since - there was NOTHING measurably wrong with his psu's VOLTAGES - but clearly changing it fixed the problem.

The reason here is far more technical than voltages - see PSU's don't actually make nice clean voltages - they use rapid spikes of high voltages at various frequencies in a process known as (PWM) pulse width modulation - that allow the PSU to dynamically "generate" the power you need and ONLY the power you need and then adjust it as your needs change.

These spikes are then smoothed out by capacitors to make them LOOK like a constant output voltage. This is all very simplified, and its a lot more complex than that -but the point is that what it outputs can change DRASTICALLY as your load changes - and its possible that under an EXACTLY specific set of conditions some form of pulse resonance or other form of not directly observable interference can be happening - especially if the PSU has one or two "slightly faulty, but not faulty enough to initially show any signs", parts.

Pulse width resonance - a potential result of all sorts of component failure in a high frequency switching power supply can have all sorts of bizarre and unpredictable effects - and definitely cause the loss of hardware attached.

Testing the "voltages" actually tells you very VERY little about the health of a PSU, and how safe its outputs are - apart from saying "Its totally Screwed" or "It does not appear to be TOTALLY screwed" there is still room for HUNDREDS of types of failure to be occurring within the PSU that are virtually impossible to test for without an entire PROPER load bench and a good array of oscilloscopes.

Relatively speaking PSU's are so cheap anyway - I'd throw it out straight away.

System Name Benny
Processor Phenom II 1055t @ 3.3GHz; 300x11; 1.380v; NB 2700; HT 2400
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula (2002 BIOS)
Cooling Thermalright TRUE 120 Black + 2 Xilence Red Wing PWM 120mm (push/pull) + polycarbonate fan holders
Memory 8GB GeIL Ultra 2133MHZ C9 running at 1600MHz @ 7-7-7-21 1T 1.5v
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr II GTX470 @ Stock w/CPU fan cable-tied on, as one of the GPU fans broke.
Storage 60GB OCZ Agility3 (OS);500GB WDC Grn; 1x1TB WDC Blk (Backup)
Display(s) ASUS PA823Q
Case Silverstone Raven 2 (all cables custom sleeved with velcro mod on side panel...)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi (Onboard) + Harmon Kardon HK6100 amp powering JVC HA-RX700's with Zalman mic
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Win7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores No benchies so making this space useful! Corsair M90, Logitech G19. Phobya FlexLight LED's (gawjus)
Yeah. multiple hard drives failing on the same rig , been there done that.

I have same problem, after 3 hdd died and replaced, I replace the psu and after that no more problems

Yeah i had a home server with a dodgy 500W psu that was cooking hard drives too. Replaced PSU, no more issues.

I had a buddy 2 years ago go through 4 drives in 1 year just like you - He swapped out his PSU and has never had a fail since - there was NOTHING measurably wrong with his psu's VOLTAGES - but clearly changing it fixed the problem.

Bloody hell, this is more common than I thought!
I see SPY!: At this point you should be patting yourself on the back for going with a decent brand PSU in the first place :) Ok, it's faulty, but at least you got no worries about getting it replaced. You haven't made the mistake that many many others have...

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS

Then, the problem here is too much oscillation in the HDD's power cables, which is causing the HDDs to fail: didn't know this could happen with an apparently "in good working order" PSU.

My suggestion to the OP is for him to invest in a PSU from a reputable brand and make sure it has much higher capacity then what he currently needs. Here's my line of reasoning:

1 - if you ever plan on upgrading your PC with more GPUs, more HDDs or whatever, a higher wattage PSU will cover that: will cost you now, but you'll end up saving in the future.

2 - there can be instances where you have a PSU with high enough wattage but not enough amps: which ever PSU you end up getting, make sure it's amps are more then enough for your needs.

Bare in mind: just because it's "reputable brand" doesn't mean such a PSU can't fail.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonlymrk
could be that the drives getting too hot 50 that kills drives quick wheres it situated and is it running at over 45 or so

The drives never get over 35ish. Even if they did get hot, it would be a world-record dying out in 2 days

very wity should i bother with another sugestion.
ill try, the woble pc a bit and it shutting down thing has me thinkin you have a bad earth/connection in there somewhere.

prob shoulda bothered readin all thread sos

user21

The rail you have provided must be having some lose or loss power change it!!! make sure if your have connected other peripherals with it try removing those at once

"IF NOT"

well its the same bug i had few years back on my system running dualcore, asus p5kpl-cm with 4gig dhx and 400GB WESTERN DIGITAL drive, the problem raised just as yours.

solution was: rescanned the data found viruses causing problems to make the harddrive critical in response and hense S.M.A.R.T errors on poweron, later upgraded my drive to 1tb 64mb WD green and since then no problems what so ever

I see SPY!

System Name ಠ_ಠ SERIOUS BOX ಠ_ಠ
Processor C2D e7200 @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro
Cooling Intel stock cooling
Memory 2x2Gb Exceleram(1066mhz, 1.8V)
Video Card(s) Sapphire 4850 512mb
Storage SATA2 WD Caviar Blue 500gb
Display(s) Asus VW222U (22")
Case generic case
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply Corsair TX-650W
Software Windows 7 64
I ended up requesting an RMA number from Corsair and mailed it a couple of days ago.

Now I just have to wait for it to come back. Hopefully it will be the last of this story :ohwell:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Yeah, I think your problems are over with another PSU. :toast: I'll keep the thread subbed.

System Name Benny
Processor Phenom II 1055t @ 3.3GHz; 300x11; 1.380v; NB 2700; HT 2400
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula (2002 BIOS)
Cooling Thermalright TRUE 120 Black + 2 Xilence Red Wing PWM 120mm (push/pull) + polycarbonate fan holders
Memory 8GB GeIL Ultra 2133MHZ C9 running at 1600MHz @ 7-7-7-21 1T 1.5v
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr II GTX470 @ Stock w/CPU fan cable-tied on, as one of the GPU fans broke.
Storage 60GB OCZ Agility3 (OS);500GB WDC Grn; 1x1TB WDC Blk (Backup)
Display(s) ASUS PA823Q
Case Silverstone Raven 2 (all cables custom sleeved with velcro mod on side panel...)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi (Onboard) + Harmon Kardon HK6100 amp powering JVC HA-RX700's with Zalman mic
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Win7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores No benchies so making this space useful! Corsair M90, Logitech G19. Phobya FlexLight LED's (gawjus)
Cheers for keeping us updated :)
Just a question that I couldn't find the answer to when reading back; how long ago did you buy your PSU?

System Name Awesomesauce 4.3 | Laptop (MSI GE72VR 6RF Apache Pro-023)
Processor Intel Core i7-5820K 4.16GHz 1.28v/3GHz 1.05v uncore | Intel Core i7-6700HQ @ 3.1GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5 WiFi LGA2011-v3| Stock
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 w/ 2x EK Vardar F4-120ER + various 120/140mm case fans | Stock
Memory G.Skill RJ-4 16GB DDR4-2666 CL15 quad channel | 12GB DDR4-2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid SC2 11GB @ 2012/5151 boost | NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB +200/+500 + Intel 530
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB + Seagate 3TB 7200RPM + others | Kingston 256GB M.2 SATA + 1TB 7200RPM
Display(s) Acer G257HU 1440p 60Hz AH-IPS 4ms | 17.3" 1920*1080 60Hz wide angle TN notebook panel
Case Fractal Design Define XL R2 | MSI
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z | Realtek with quad stereo speakers and subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850i Platinum | 19.5v 180w Delta brick
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 | Windows 10 Home x64
I bought 3 WD 5001AALS 500GB drives and 2 failed in that manner in different rigs within 24 hours. In my case, I think the drives were just part of a ****** batch as the 3rd drive continues to work flawlessly. Your case might be different though, as your PSU could be defective and have a high ripple, but don't rule out strings of bad drives as something unimaginable. I don't think dirty power would cause bad sectors, unless it has damaged the drive's electronics or causes the heads to hit the platters.

I see SPY!

System Name ಠ_ಠ SERIOUS BOX ಠ_ಠ
Processor C2D e7200 @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro
Cooling Intel stock cooling
Memory 2x2Gb Exceleram(1066mhz, 1.8V)
Video Card(s) Sapphire 4850 512mb
Storage SATA2 WD Caviar Blue 500gb
Display(s) Asus VW222U (22")
Case generic case
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply Corsair TX-650W
Software Windows 7 64
I finally got my replacement PSU from Corsair yesterday. It's a TX 650W V2, refurbished, I suppose, considering it has bits of glue visible here and there. Now I just need to install the power supply and hard-drive, reinstall everything again and hope it's the end of it :)

Also, a quick question: does Corsair usually send out an e-mail to confirm when the RMA is received/processed/sent?
I was a little surprised when I saw a delivery notice from UPS the other day without any warning.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
-WD keeps sending me defective/low quality drives(getting 3 bad drives in a row? What's the chance of that?) ;
Likely. Manufacturers love to drop refurbished goods on RMA customers.

The reason here is far more technical than voltages - see PSU's don't actually make nice clean voltages - they use rapid spikes of high voltages at various frequencies in a process known as (PWM) pulse width modulation - that allow the PSU to dynamically "generate" the power you need and ONLY the power you need and then adjust it as your needs change.

These spikes are then smoothed out by capacitors to make them LOOK like a constant output voltage. This is all very simplified, and its a lot more complex than that -but the point is that what it outputs can change DRASTICALLY as your load changes - and its possible that under an EXACTLY specific set of conditions some form of pulse resonance or other form of not directly observable interference can be happening - especially if the PSU has one or two "slightly faulty, but not faulty enough to initially show any signs", parts.

Pulse width resonance - a potential result of all sorts of component failure in a high frequency switching power supply can have all sorts of bizarre and unpredictable effects - and definitely cause the loss of hardware attached.

Swing and a miss. I don't exactly know where you studied power supplies, but you have a few fundamental errors.

The PSU (modern ones) uses a high frequency signal that they generate from the initial outlet power. Switching on and off at certain points in the cycle to only allow certain voltages through. This voltage is rectified (AC to DC), then smoothed by a capacitor array or linear regulator. PWM signals are used to switch the system during the initial harvesting of the high frequency power, but are not the source of it.

After being smoothed, the power is 100% DC. There is a ripple voltage, but it is so small that it is well within the acceptable tolerances of the device it is connected to.

Where power supplies randomly kill things is not the ripple, but high frequency noise on the lines due to inductance. This noise is not detectable to most DMMs because of response times, but it does damage electronics. This is why voltage readings are misleading as far as a PSU's health.

Basic electronics concepts aside, inductance is dang near impossible to predict. Minor variations in construction can produce very different amounts of induction, which is why some cheap PSUs are great and other are crap. Large suppliers occasionally develop this issue, but generally do enough testing to minimize its influence on produced goods.

Replacing a PSU is definitely the most likely solution, given nothing else seemed to be dying. Motherboards generally have surge suppression hardware, which insulates them from high frequency noise. I would bet that anything connected to that power rail gets fried, whether it be optical drive or HDD.