• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Harddisk queries, partition questions and read/write speeds

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
I've always struggled to grasp quite exactly what it is that determines read/write transfer directions on drives as well as the correlation between benchmarks on hard disks and real world usage.

The first question is whether or not the drive your sending a file to is being written to, or is reading the data that's coming in. Are they the same operation or treated differently? The speed being reported, is this the drive that's sending the file or the one receiving it?

For the benchmarks, most of them show peak burst but not sustainable throughput and similarly so do reviews. Yet when you actually move anything but a single compressed file, you get speeds that are half what testing programs or reviews would suggest.
Why is it that reviewers never seem to just transfer random files manually and treat that as 'real world?'

Lastly, as per below picture, this is how my drives settled after putting in a second SSD and installing Windows onto it.

Unnamed EFI partition: SSD Disk 0
C: - Windows installation permanent SSD Disk 0
F: - Old Windows installation/temporary storage SSD Disk 1
D: - Storage HDD Disk 2
E: - 'System Reserved' EFI partition with data on it SSD Disk 1

For the unnamed EFI partition, it's great that it's the first partition on the disk however it's empty? What's the point of it then?
Is E: necessary?
Why is the EFI partition from Disk 1 listed as "Active and primary?"

Conversely, when I load up the old SSD, there's no EFI partitions for either disk showing in Explorer.

I am feeling OCD a bit on this and would like to clean it up so that everything is as should be.

Last edited:
System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Answered some of my own questions here.

A) EFI partitions sometimes read as used or as full or ..etc. It means nothing in particular.
B) EFI partitions from other drives (e.g. you had two Windows installs) would result in the secondary EFI being listed as 'Active' like any logical disk.
C) EFI pertains to UEFI OS installs and System Reserved is for standard BIOS MBR OS installs
D) Cleaning up drive letters is fine, and as always takes a simple rename, unless it's the Windows/OS boot drive, which is locked to C:\

As for how data transfer works - still not clear on it and I must misunderstand what exactly reviews are trying to show.

If nothing else, the drives are tidier now :