1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hardware Addicted.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CDdude55, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Join the club.

Many of us always seem to have these kind of urges to buy new hardware. It's like were never entirely satisfied with our system even if it rocks. We always look for anything worthwile to upgrade or something.

Most hold back... Must not spend money!!! Arrggghhh...

CDdude55 says thanks.
  2. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    A. Become part of the club that has members that love to play with new hardware. This club is expensive to be a part of because of the frequent swapping of parts.

B. upgrade when your computer CAN'T do something. think about your current rig and how it performs. Does it do what you want? React accordingly.

Once I went i7 I lost the urge to buy new mobo's cpus and stuff. Now I just have the Dx11 GPU bug. But that one is easy to cure bec. of price of these cards and availbility.

If you have the money go i7. or wait for i9. $$$$.

i7 is the road that can lead to i9 later on too.

Pc enthusiasts from all walks of life often get so wrapped up in the hobby/lifestsyle that we forget how expensive these parts really are. I can't think of a single instance where I would spend $190 at the drop of a dime outside of the "pc world" but a video card bug bites and BAM. $200 bucks shipped in a blink of an eye.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  3. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I buy the stuff I can afford. Screw it. It's a hobby, it needs little justification other than to make you happy. It has nothing to do with needing the upgrades. If all your other monetary obligations are met, It's better than blowing the money on getting in trouble.

CDdude55 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Wile E hit the nail right on the head.

I was worried about my comp hardware spending, but since then I realized I don't have anything else to do with my money currently (No g/f, and studies taking up all free time from work), so if I have a mod project I want to do, or an upgrade I fancy, I just get it.

It might not always make sense, but it is my hobby. My dad spends tons of money on his four aquariums and never questions that, so why should I question 200$ a month on computer-related toys ?

Now granted - If you're buying your third HD5870 or something, then it might be a bit over the top, but if you can afford it, do not neglect other things because of it and it makes you happy, then this is what money is for, no ?

CDdude55 says thanks.
  5. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    For me its hard, lucky other stuff keeps happening to focus me (car broke down, Pipes froze, need $ for holiday travel)

I caught myself saying to my family I got the X58 stuff so I wouldnt have to upgrade anything for a couple years ( than I sold it and went AM3)

Its like any other addiction, we need our own 12 step program...

Hello, my name is Mark and I am a computer hardware addict...

6. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    a woman can usually solve this problem for you quite easily, she spends all your money for you so you have no more temptation to spend the money you no longer have. :rolleyes:

7. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    No women gonna be spending my money. tramps. :pimp:

8. L@urentzyu New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have 2 radeon 4890 for sales 2 months old one xfx xxx edition 875 core 975 mem and one saphire vapor x edition 870 core 1050 mem how much to ask?trade for 5870 is good?

9. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Please make your own thread on your questions.

And yes, i would trade a 2x 4890's for a 5870. Then later on maybe add a second 5870. I would ask about $375-$400 for both 4890's.

10. L@urentzyu New Member

Thanks Received:
    10x

11. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    Exactly. I try to tell my women that some hobbies are all about continouisly upgrading. But it can get out of hand sometimes because I spend money that should go to bills and stuff. Unlike some of you I don't have kids yet, it is really expensive living where I am at and that sucks. I have always been this way though, even before I got into comps I was (still into) jumping bikes. I was constantly upgrading my bmx and mountain bikes. Some people spend and other save....that's life.

As long as it's a hobby of mine it will never be complete.;)

Crunching for Team TPU