• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hardware Elitism - a tech scourge that needs to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name DELL Inspiron 5400 AIO / HP 17 ca1065cl
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz / Ryzen 5 3500u
Memory 16GB /12GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA MX 330 / Radeon Vega 8
Storage 1TB +SSD
Display(s) 23.8 inch touch screen 17.3 touch screen
Case DELL AIO / HP LAPTOP
Mouse Dell Wireless /LOGITECH
Keyboard Dell Wireless / HP LAPTOP
Software WINDOWS 11
Maybe people are too el33T to spell it that way. ever think of that.??? :rockout:

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Maybe people are too el33T to spell it that way. ever think of that.??? :rockout:
It was actually for the OP. But I see with no quote, no one would ever know lol. Sorry, drink responsibly folks.

System Name Garbage / Trash
Processor Ryzen 5600X / 5600
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Ti / GB B550M Aorus Pro-P
Cooling Deepcool GTE / ID Cooling SE224XT
Memory Micron 32GB DDR4-3200 E-die @ 3600C16 / Ballistix Elite 16GB 3600C16
Video Card(s) MSI 2060 Super Armor OC / Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
Storage HP EX920 1TB Micron 1100 2TB, Crucial M550 1TB, Hynix P31 1TB
Display(s) Acer XB271HU @ 150Hz x2
Audio Device(s) JBL LSR305 + Topping D50S / iLoud MM + SMSL DO100
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus 850W / G-series 650W
Mouse Logitech G304 x2
Personally I get a kick from making the most of a budget. What's so exciting about spending $4k ?!, you get a machine that maxes everything ... well ... daah. One don't have to game at ultra detail 4k 144hz to enjoy a game. And I can tell you this a lot of those elitist that try to shame others still live in their parents basement driving their parents 300k miles Civic.

That's inline with my own observations: It's usually the poor who are obsessed with luxury consumerism.

I know actual millionaires; they are thrifty and already had their egos satifisfied by their bank accounts. They don't need petty status symbols like PCs for reinforcement.

Also. judging the wealth of someone by the car they drive its a pretty bad take.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I worked for a millionaire, very well educated, owned beautiful properties, had nice things. Drove a 90s Tercel that had 360k on it and ran like a top.

Nicest fellow you would ever meet.

System Name DELL Inspiron 5400 AIO / HP 17 ca1065cl
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz / Ryzen 5 3500u
Memory 16GB /12GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA MX 330 / Radeon Vega 8
Storage 1TB +SSD
Display(s) 23.8 inch touch screen 17.3 touch screen
Case DELL AIO / HP LAPTOP
Mouse Dell Wireless /LOGITECH
Keyboard Dell Wireless / HP LAPTOP
Software WINDOWS 11
:clap: Hey the Honda Civic is a good car. My parents had one at one time.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
I'm of the mindset if it makes you happy or it's the best you can do that should be good enough for everyone else too.
But unfortunately there are some that have an E-Peen stuck up their ass and apparently not afraid to show it.

I've been there, making do with what I've got and was lucky to even have that, now it's different for me yet I haven't forgotten how it was.
Still have the old setup I was running an older AM3 dual core (Athlon II X270) in a sub-par mini-ATX board and it got the job done for a very long time.

I also believe I know where this comes from and it's high time it gets the attention it deserves. I mean asking questions as to "Why" you got a pre-built instead of a DIY type build is one thing but you really can't question one's circumstances either since no matter what you have to say, it doesn't change a damn thing about it. If you're generous enough to offer higher-end items or even builds on your own dime, that's great but I seriously doubt that's gonna happen.
Not everyone has a tree with dollar bills for leaves out back - I sure don't but if you do, rake up a few for me and I won't complain if they are in a plastic lawn and garden bag when you send them.

So....
Those that want to bash, why not offer a few of the parts left over from your last build/setup, I mean you're not using them any more.... Right?
Not everyone can do upgrades on a regular basis or cycle, it's go with what you've got and make it work.

As for money, it's not always how much you've got but how you use it.

Last edited:

r9

System Name Primary|Secondary|Poweredge r410|Dell XPS|SteamDeck
Processor i7 11700k|i7 9700k|2 x E5620 |i5 5500U|Zen 2 4c/8t
Memory 32GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|32GB ECC DDR3|8GB DDR4|16GB LPDDR5
Video Card(s) RX 7800xt|RX 6700xt |On-Board|On-Board|8 RDNA 2 CUs
Storage 2TB m.2|512GB SSD+1TB SSD|2x256GBSSD 2x2TBGB|256GB sata|512GB nvme
Display(s) 50" 4k TV | Dell 27" |22" |3.3"|7"
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+ | Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro|Windows 10 Pro|Windows 10 Home| Server 2012 r2|Windows 10 Pro
That's inline with my own observations: It's usually the poor who are obsessed with luxury consumerism.

I know actual millionaires; they are thrifty and already had their egos satifisfied by their bank accounts. They don't need petty status symbols like PCs for reinforcement.

Also. judging the wealth of someone by the car they drive its a pretty bad take.
The car comment wasn't about judging wealth my point was investing your money into things that are more important in life. And even then not my place to judge what anyone should do with their money. Hell if 3090 makes you happy go for it but don't use it put down others.

Devil's advocate: don't we need people who are willing to pay top dollar for the latest and greatest so it succeeds and becomes cheaper?
My 2 cents? You've got a point. However, 54thVoid's point was the ridicule, which is not ok. No one should be insulted or harassed for having a system that is not super powerful or even current tech. We are a community made up of users in a wide variety of socioeconomic situations. As a community, it is our place to welcome all, to render input and assistance where it is needed.

Therefore, if some users do not understand or accept the value of making tech last as long as the user needs it to, they should just keep their harsh and elitists statements to themselves rather than making people feel bad about their tech, which has the effect of making them feel unwelcome. That is not ok.

r9

Software Windows 11 Pro|Windows 10 Pro|Windows 10 Home| Server 2012 r2|Windows 10 Pro
I get the feeling that I am not liked on this forum. It seems like every time I say something I get ripped apart. But I do what I do and I believe in my tech as everything I have done has worked for me to date.
If you think tpu is bad
I have several 144hz 1920 monitor's Several 8 gig cards a few 6 and 8 core systems no way do i consider myself elitist :)
not when you consider literally all my kit comes to me second hand or 3/4 hand.
being a skinflint and ex hoarder i value all tech and always look for the cheap Bargin.

Unfortunatlly re the Current Electronics market S/h kit is now almost as expensive as when it was new and harder to find.
Yep that's exactly what a pc elitist would say.

r9

I get the feeling that I am not liked on this forum. It seems like every time I say something I get ripped apart. But I do what I do and I believe in my tech as everything I have done has worked for me to date.
What do you expect you don't even have a discrete GPU. < sarcasm

100% Agree, its in consoles now as well, there is a band of people on gamefaqs mocking people who chose to buy a Series S instead of a Series X.
How about people dissing consoles in general ... Only 30 fps blah blah balh. I've never been into consoles but I can't dispute the value of getting xbox one x for $160 for my son. Pair that thing with game pass and off you go.

Last edited:
System Name my friends call me Zenny, I make a bad enemy
Processor still computing
Motherboard Naw she aint, she has 2 dachshunds
Cooling I ride motorcycles rain or shine
Memory semi-eidetic, 48 years on-time
Video Card(s) don't need one anymore, but still have a few Polaris
Storage I grew up in Silicon Valley during the '80's and '90's in San Jose, CA
Display(s) 2016 Scout Sixty when I want to look pretty. The females agree.
Case I only roll in old shit. 1963 F100 Unibody
Audio Device(s) JBL Boombox 3, V-MODA Crossfade
Power Supply Ensure, Bacon Jerky, and mineral water
Mouse I hates em. I sets up glue traps for em. Guk!
Keyboard Trying to close a Captains of Crush #3. For 5 years now.
VR HMD Nahmang /Yay Area
Software Hey! My underpants is my business!
Benchmark Scores How much does Mark weigh?
The trick is to not read most of the responses to your own rant/may-cause-controversy posts unless you feel like a protracted debate/internet fight. We people on the internet can nitpick and squabble over technicalities til coronavirii stop mutating, but in the end all it does is satiate some stupid desire to argue. I mean, we've been doing this shit since baud modems, and like baud modems, it all gets old and not much is accomplished for your time. IMHO, in today's society, feelings are getting too important, it seems people are just ready to get mad, too. Trolls abound, fishing for validation of their victim status. Alas, the insecure always outnumber the secure.

You just keep being you. People will always have differences of opinion. You’re here because you like tech just as much as everyone here.
You're one of the members on this forum I've read hundreds and hundreds of posts of, all goes back to me liking your name lol. I'm also a longtime TW junkie (I still play Shogun 1, modded ofc). Anyway, you've almost always been nice to folks and your viewpoints are those of a rational, thinking human being. I usually find myself agreeing with what you say. Not trying to cuddle or anything, but forums need more regulars like you. You post often, yet you are not an overposter. That, IMHO, is very hard to accomplish. There's some regulars in this forum I'd love to get into a barfight with and maybe pull off an arm, but I'd def buy you a drink.

-------------

Now, hardware elitism. This is some real shit, and it's always flowing in the undercurrents of every forum driven by hardware of any sort, occasionally breaching the surface like volcanic activity. I know this, because I was once one of those people in the early aughts, when I was younger and had more time to argue on the interweb. Talking shit like a fool. I started with automotive and ended with PC hardware. It's pervasive in the minds of some to the point where the post of one with nice PC hardware (or engine, car, truck etc) on profile will be taken better than that of one with older hardware (or unironic hoopty), even if the "peasant"s post is objectively more useful. I didn't know this mindset actually existed until 2006 when I finally joined the high-end on PC for the first time with Conroe. All of a sudden, my posts got more attention on sites where I had my gear listed, and yeah, I was shitting on those with Netburst and laughing at those that thought their K8 X2 were still the bee's knees. Then, 2 years later, I was catching shit for still being on Kentsfield instead of Bloomsfield i7 and beyond. I quit listing my PC hardware on tech site profiles and caring what people thought of my old shit that still worked _great_ for what I needed to do. I'm used to it, I only drive cars and trucks that were built before airbags, still do. When you really look at it, it's just overkill for your _needs_.

Now, there's always been people who make fun of others for their modest circumstances. And well, buying shit you don't need drives the economy. But there happens to be a very large percentage of regulars on forums who do precisely that - buying the latest and greatest so they can proudly wave the flag in the next "owner's" thread and dispense their magnanimous wisdom upon the plebs. That's great, good for you for making it, but it's not going to last, and it really doesn't matter. It's all rather petty, after all in the end. And, well, we're all literally full of shit. Be humble.

Processor 5800X3D -30 CO
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling DeepCool Assassin III
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V @ 3800 CL14
Video Card(s) ASRock MBA 7900XTX
Storage 1TB WD SN850X + 1TB ADATA SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell S2721QS 4K60
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced USB 3.0
Audio Device(s) Audiotrak Prodigy Cube Black (JRC MUSES 8820D) + CAL (recabled)
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750
Mouse Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave
Keyboard Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave
Software Windows 10 Pro
Trolls abound, fishing for validation of their victim status. Alas, the insecure always outnumber the secure.
You've hit the nail right on the head with this one. Playing the victim or flaunting the latest and greatest have one thing in common. Insecurity.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Totally agree with OP. I have to admit that I think that my rig is a budget rig (AMD 3600/16GB/1080 Ti), it still packs quite a punch and I'm more than happy with this.

And you just don't have always to crank the graphics up, I can play with lower details as long a game doesn't look bad and it runs fine.

D

Deleted member 205776

Totally agree with OP. I have to admit that I think that my rig is a budget rig (AMD 3600/16GB/1080 Ti), it still packs quite a punch and I'm more than happy with this.

And you just don't have always to crank the graphics up, I can play with lower details as long a game doesn't look bad and it runs fine.
Considering I used to be on a GT 610 and Pentium G620 all my life, the rig I have now is more than enough and am very grateful to even have it.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Well, I really hate to be that guy with controversial or counter-intuitive opinions, but here are few points that are on completely oppose end of the spectrum.
1) Most of the threads where people get bashed for having low-end hardware usually start with OPs unrealistic expectations of said hardware.
E.g. "why can't I play Crysis 3 on my 9600GT?" or "why is Youtube being stupid on GMA x4500?", "How can I make my 2005 CompaQ run faster?".
2) There are many situations where getting new hardware is unavoidable. Usually the conflict arises when OP still firmly believes that a complete upgrade is unnecessary, or makes an excuse of "having no access" to cheap hardware in his country, when in fact he or she does (there were many threads on TPU, in which a person was too lazy to look for it, or too stubborn to admit his mistake that he/she just sticks with the narrative). Some of my customers also like sob stories, thinking that somehow it would change the essence of the problem and the resulting outcome. Though, most stories fall apart as soon as they pull out their shiny iPhone XR to write down my contact info.
3) Using older hardware for as long as it lasts is a good thing, as long as it serves its purpose. Though, in most such cases people buy hardware (I mean buying today, not 10 years ago) with only one thought in mind - lowest possible price. Basically, instead of making considerations before purchase, they get the cheapest stuff and then offload solving all nuances on random strangers from the internet.

All three points are too familiar to me, because I run a tiny workshop in a not-so-financially-or-politically-stable country. I have to deal with this on a daily basis, and some people just need a blunt reality check. This includes even my technically educated but still ridiculously stupid partner, who needs to get slapped every time he thinks an SSD and moar RAM will solve any issue.
Every once in awhile I get customers who'd bring a dust-ridded Core2Duo desktop which at the time of its creation was built out of cheapest possible parts, and people don't understand that recapping an old LGA775 board costs about the same as getting a SandyBridge combo, or that their old 17" 4:3 monitor costs less than a single replacement capacitor in its PSU. Yes, there are enthusiasts that just like to tinker with old hardware, but there are also lots of less-than-intelligent scrooges that firmly believe that they can buy a random $50 PC and then just ask around for "magic sauce" that will make it run like modern PC. I lost count of how many times, especially since pandemic started, some random douche would pop into my workshop with beat-up Core2Duo or worse - single-core Sempron PC that's been stewing in a basement for the past 10 years with nasty wererats and evil cucarachas, and then asks "Well, can't you just pop-in some more RAM and do your computer ju-ju, so my kids could watch youtube and play minecraft?". My response to that is never pretty and in some stubborn cases contains lots of explicit words, but in 99% of cases it works and within an hour or two a person leaves with a PC that will last another 5-6 years and it's not a fire hazard. The remaining 1% leave, still firmly believing that their trash buckets still have "untapped potential" and I'm yet another greedy bastard that tries to con him/her out of hard earned cash. Yes... evil me... :D

As far as I know, we don't have "hardware elitists" amongst regular TPU members. If anything, this community teaches newcomers to like and be enthusiastic about old hardware.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I got harassed on another website because as a 3090 owner i'm just a richboy using dads wallet who doesnt appreciate hardware

nevermind that i'm approaching 40 and worked for it -.-

People just suck overall, be it attacking people with less than them, defending bad products just because they bought them too, or echoing something with zero understanding of what it really means (bottleneck! CPU matters less at high res so game at 4k on a sempron!)

Every once in awhile I get customers who'd bring a dust-ridded Core2Duo desktop which at the time of its creation was built out of cheapest possible parts, and people don't understand that recapping an old LGA775 board costs about the same as getting a SandyBridge combo, or that their old 17" 4:3 monitor costs less than a single replacement capacitor in its PSU. Yes, there are enthusiasts that just like to tinker with old hardware, but there are also lots of less-than-intelligent scrooges that firmly believe that they can buy a random $50 PC and then just ask around for "magic sauce" that will make it run like modern PC. I lost count of how many times, especially since pandemic started, some random douche would pop into my workshop with beat-up Core2Duo or worse - single-core Sempron PC that's been stewing in a basement for the past 10 years with nasty wererats and evil cucarachas, and then asks "Well, can't you just pop-in some more RAM and do your computer ju-ju, so my kids could watch youtube and play minecraft?". My response to that is never pretty and in some stubborn cases contains lots of explicit words, but in 99% of cases it works and within an hour or two a person leaves with a PC that will last another 5-6 years and it's not a fire hazard. The remaining 1% leave, still firmly believing that their trash buckets still have "untapped potential" and I'm yet another greedy bastard that tries to con him/her out of hard earned cash. Yes... evil me... :D

Those are the same customers who bring their car to the workshop with a split right through the engine block and rats nest wiring harness and saying "just fix the engine light, don't upsell me".

Not that it's dumb, really, because it's acceptable to ask for something unintelligent. But when they get mad and throw a hissy fit when told by a professional that it's a write-off? That's the epitome of DUMB.

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
People just suck overall, be it attacking people with less than them, defending bad products just because they bought them too, or echoing something with zero understanding of what it really means (bottleneck! CPU matters less at high res so game at 4k on a sempron!)
Right, so the opposite of that would be, no matter the hardware you have, share the (informed & experienced/referenced) knowledge you have on it!
That is welcome.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Smart buying isn't to be mocked. And whoever is pleased with 1080P maxed out or even medium with 60FPS or above and has no intention on overspending is just a sensible consumer. Elitism is a bad attitude in ALL aspects of life.

This 1000x This.

The only people I mock with regards to purchases are those who are clearly more interested in epeening with it than actually doing something with it. Anywhere else I think the value of good advice is exactly what you're saying: Buy Smart. Hardware goes old fast. Spending too big on it is usually a mistake unless you know it's going to last, or you're going to need every drop of performance you can get.

OTOH if you WANT to spend big, by all means... but with great spending comes great responsibility to not become an asshole, as I think this topic clearly underlines :D Somehow there is some correlation there between money and asshole-factor.

Well, I really hate to be that guy with controversial or counter-intuitive opinions, but here are few points that are on completely oppose end of the spectrum.
1) Most of the threads where people get bashed for having low-end hardware usually start with OPs unrealistic expectations of said hardware.
E.g. "why can't I play Crysis 3 on my 9600GT?" or "why is Youtube being stupid on GMA x4500?", "How can I make my 2005 CompaQ run faster?".
2) There are many situations where getting new hardware is unavoidable. Usually the conflict arises when OP still firmly believes that a complete upgrade is unnecessary, or makes an excuse of "having no access" to cheap hardware in his country, when in fact he or she does (there were many threads on TPU, in which a person was too lazy to look for it, or too stubborn to admit his mistake that he/she just sticks with the narrative). Some of my customers also like sob stories, thinking that somehow it would change the essence of the problem and the resulting outcome. Though, most stories fall apart as soon as they pull out their shiny iPhone XR to write down my contact info.
3) Using older hardware for as long as it lasts is a good thing, as long as it serves its purpose. Though, in most such cases people buy hardware (I mean buying today, not 10 years ago) with only one thought in mind - lowest possible price. Basically, instead of making considerations before purchase, they get the cheapest stuff and then offload solving all nuances on random strangers from the internet.

All three points are too familiar to me, because I run a tiny workshop in a not-so-financially-or-politically-stable country. I have to deal with this on a daily basis, and some people just need a blunt reality check. This includes even my technically educated but still ridiculously stupid partner, who needs to get slapped every time he thinks an SSD and moar RAM will solve any issue.

As far as I know, we don't have "hardware elitists" amongst regular TPU members. If anything, this community teaches newcomers to like and be enthusiastic about old hardware.

Another nail on the head. This is the other end of the spectrum. There are many instances and examples where 'being cheap' is in fact much more expensive in the long run and a single solid investment can not only last longer but also work better doing so. Many times this applies to improving an aged system. Old hardware isn't always quite so cheap to fix.

Last edited:

r9

And this is the kind of comment that 54thVoid was talking about and people very much needs to keep to themselves.

@Atomic77
If your PC meets your needs and you're happy with it, carry on. You're system is fine.
And this is the kind of comment that 54thVoid was talking about and people very much need to keep to themselves.

@Atomic77
If your PC meets your needs and you're happy with it, carry on. You're system is fine.
I thought was obvious that was sarcasm ... oh well.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Those are the same customers who bring their car to the workshop with a split right through the engine block and rats nest wiring harness and saying "just fix the engine light, don't upsell me".

Not that it's dumb, really, because it's acceptable to ask for something unintelligent. But when they get mad and throw a hissy fit when told by a professional that it's a write-off? That's the epitome of DUMB.
In some cases you really have to be careful with what you ask for.
In this instance, "Fixing the engine light" can take on the meaning of anything from actually fixing the reason why it's coming on to removing the engine light bulb so you never see it again.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Much needed to be said. I enjoy playing around with a tight budget and getting the cheaper goods. I only have splurged recently myself (6800xt) when the last time I purchased such a GPU was never.

Some people just feel the need to be rude for no apparent reason.

I got harassed on another website because as a 3090 owner i'm just a richboy using dads wallet who doesnt appreciate hardware

nevermind that i'm approaching 40 and worked for it -.-

Listen rich boy..... Buy me a 3090 as well. Please get Dads credit card.

Status
Not open for further replies.