• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hardware Elitism - a tech scourge that needs to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaeTrain

Clap ! Clap ! Props for sticking your neck out. I've been lurking for years but your post actually compelled me to say something.

These days there is no need for top spec gear. The industry dragged a** for so long that it just doesn't matter like it used to. This round of hardware shortages is showcasing the real talent in the community. Anyone with money can buy the most expensive of everything and slap it together for some great numbers / Yawn. Now lets see them do it with used parts and yesterday's tech.

Manufacturers have locked the industry down tight. Crossfire and SLI are all but dead. Intel has all but killed overclocking and AMD leaves no room. When buying used gear I constantly see never oc'ed labels attached to parts obviously made for overclocking. Then why buy K and X cpus? Why buy AIO liquid coolers? Why buy X570 motherboards? Buying the newest part is meaningless. How much potential is just left sitting? Seems like priorities are all smeshed up. Have fun, experiment, push boundaries, be creative and take everything you can. Do something hard.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Clap ! Clap ! Props for sticking your neck out. I've been lurking for years but your post actually compelled me to say something.

These days there is no need for top spec gear. The industry dragged a** for so long that it just doesn't matter like it used to. This round of hardware shortages is showcasing the real talent in the community. Anyone with money can buy the most expensive of everything and slap it together for some great numbers / Yawn. Now lets see them do it with used parts and yesterday's tech.

Manufacturers have locked the industry down tight. Crossfire and SLI are all but dead. Intel has all but killed overclocking and AMD leaves no room. When buying used gear I constantly see never oc'ed labels attached to parts obviously made for overclocking. Then why buy K and X cpus? Why buy AIO liquid coolers? Why buy X570 motherboards? Buying the newest part is meaningless. How much potential is just left sitting? Seems like priorities are all smeshed up. Have fun, experiment, push boundaries, be creative and take everything you can. Do something hard.
the only one of those questions with a reasonable answer was x570 for the PCI-E 4.0 lanes -more expansions lots and high speed NVME slots
people are treating cosmetics like they alter performance, and 1% gains in rare situations like they're the end-all

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
What bothers me are people that spend a premium for the label of level of product and then lord it over people. The PC space used to be fun in terms of hardware when you could get things for a decent pricing. Unfortunately we now live in a space where propoganda influences everything. Why did several big Youtubers do a challenge of 2 3090 SLI benchmark competition when Nvidia was screaming loud that they no longer supported SLI?

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Unfortunately we now live in a space where propoganda influences everything

now???

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I remember buying my first flat screen 15in . I caught hell from the CRT elitists
That's really odd because it was definitely the exact opposite in my experience. The early LCD buyers were clearly the ones with the elitist attitudes, looking down their noses at us CRT holdouts for still using big, bulky, heat generating, ancient technology, energy hogs.

I sure thought that was a bit ironic at the time considering the image quality of CRTs was superior, and remained superior for several years - unless you were willing to spend up towards $1000 for top-of-the-line LCDs.

It was only after larger screen (17 and 19") LCDs, smaller pixels, digital inputs (the first LCDs were VGA/analog only) and lower prices that LCDs finally started to take over the market. They only finally clinched it when widescreens became affordable and then the norm. There were (and are) still some who prefer the "warmth" (no pun or reference to heat) of the analog image. I am not saying CRTs will make a comeback 'vinyl record' style. But there are still some who would go back to CRT if someone would come out with something in the 22 to 24" widescreen size at an affordable price. But considering CRTs require a couple pounds of lead for shielding, I doubt that will ever happen.

Luckies are less irritating
LOL. I remember those ads. I remember little 4-packs of cigarettes were given out free on airlines. But that ad was right - just like 4 bee stings are less irritating than 5 bee stings is true too.

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
Marketing tells people "buy our newest shiny stuff or you are shit, not a human" every minute of every day. People who buy the newest shiny stuff feel better than all those shit people who don't, simply because people are genetically programmed to do anything and everything to feel better than others, that's an integral part of tribal culture humans evolved in for a few hundred thousand years. Females feel better if they have more shiny rocks than other females, males feel better the more shiny things with which they can attract those females they have. That's why I consider myself a radical misanthrope and don't consider humans a worthwhile species.

Females feel better if they have more shiny rocks than other females, males feel better the more shiny things with which they can attract those females they have.

What makes this penguin so special? To us, pebbles are just ugly stones/rocks found along beaches. To the Adelie penguin, these pebbles are their most prized possession. A pebble to them is equivalent to a diamond for human.

Adelie penguin uses pebbles and other small rocks to make their nests. Because they live on the frozen, barren Antartica coast, pebbles can be scarce and hard to find. Often, these penguins are notorious for stealing each other pebbles and fighting ferociously over these precious little rocks.

Just an FYI: but such behavior is not unique to humans.

EDIT: Ah right, and this part:

These precious pebbles possess yet another enchanting purpose. During courtship, the male will present the female with a pebble as a gift. If the female accepts the generous gift, they bond and mate for life. These pebbles hold considerable value and they are also symbols of affection toward a mate.

Last edited:
Processor i7 4770K
Motherboard Asus Z87-Expert
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S, &case fans all controlled by Aquaero 6
Memory 2x8GB TeamGroup Xtreem LV 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Storage Samsung 840 Pro + 2x 5GB WD Red@RAID1
Display(s) Dell U3014
Case Lian Li PC-A71B
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR, Objective2 (2x), AKG K702&712, Beyerdynamic DT990
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 (+Eaton 5P 1550 as "backup power")
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G810
Some are. But flight and car simulator programs, for example, are much more entertaining and realistic when 3 monitors provide a full frontal and wrap around view.
Games happening in one more or less flat plane definitely benefit from it greatly.
But military flight sims and especially space sims would also need vertical coverage of field of view.

And in that development is actually going backwards because of fashion and marketing...
Lots of people hype those "ultrawide" screens as some second coming of Jesus, even basically claiming that's needed to be enthusiast/gamer.
While those are really more like ultralow screens consuming more desk space for less vertical image size.

But there are still some who would go back to CRT if someone would come out with something in the 22 to 24" widescreen size at an affordable price.
SED/FED would have operated kinda like flattened CRT. (or panel of tiny pixel size CRTs)
But SED's development was killed by patent trolls, economic downturn and then OLED hype.
And now we're still stuck with old very compromised LCDs, because OLED's permanent problem is fragility of that fancy schmancy organic part...

Well, maybe after another LCD update I can finally buy true good tech flat screen without LCD's scrappy viewing angles, contrast, response times challenges etc...
Bought current monitor in December 2013 thinking that way.

Marketing tells people "buy our newest shiny stuff or you are shit, not a human" every minute of every day. People who buy the newest shiny stuff feel better than all those shit people who don't, simply because people are genetically programmed to do anything and everything to feel better than others, that's an integral part of tribal culture humans evolved in for a few hundred thousand years. Females feel better if they have more shiny rocks than other females, males feel better the more shiny things with which they can attract those females they have. That's why I consider myself a radical misanthrope and don't consider humans a worthwhile species.
You forgot the part of being programmed to make justifications for spending money for absolutely no actual good in performance, features or longevity.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
But military flight sims and especially space sims would also need vertical coverage of field of view.
Ummm, civilian aircraft don't have vertical movement? ;)

Any flight sim, not just military can benefit from vertically stacked monitors. I saw a 6 x 32" setup once. It was pretty cool, but way over the top for me. The whole setup, including fancy chair, headphones, controller with foot peddles, was over $15,000. I could not justify in my own head spending that kind of money on a computer. But then I'm no millionaire either.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Hahahaa

Ummm, civilian aircraft don't have vertical movement? ;)

Any flight sim, not just military can benefit from vertically stacked monitors. I saw a 6 x 32" setup once. It was pretty cool, but way over the top for me. The whole setup, including fancy chair, headphones, controller with foot peddles, was over $15,000. I could not justify in my own head spending that kind of money on a computer. But then I'm no millionaire either.
Agreed I feel there is some confusion as some hardware updates do make sense.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
So, I'm posting this as a reaction to a few recent threads where I've seen people being ridiculed for having a 'below par' hardware set-up. Whether that be a lower level GFX card, a lower core CPU, or an AIO from DELL, a portion of the community reaction has been absolutely appalling. I made some life choices and have the fortune of a stable, mediocre salary and no kids. My last great PC splurge was a 2080ti. The last time I would spend 4 figures on what to me is a toy (and that came from an inheritance). And I class myself as fortunate. There are more people on this forum who can't buy 'top end' kit than those that do. And occasionally, a thread appears where someone posts about what they've bought. Those who buy something that doesn't meet some magical 'tech standard' appear to be mocked.

It's a disgrace. A despicable representation of the worst of ourselves.

Maybe I'm being harsh but last time I mocked somebody for being less fortunate than myself was... no wait, I'm not that much of an arsehole. And before you all get antsy and say TPU is a tech forum; that doesn't excuse the elitism that has begun to appear. Who cares what somebody buys - what we're here to do is support and advise. TPU is a community that has a broad spectrum of incomes and expenditure. Certainly, as the world has turned, hardware is getting more and more expensive. Not everybody is earning more and more cash. Heads up, I earn less than my nations average income (no kids goes a long way to making it easier to buy shit I actually don't need). It's hard for me to justify a £1000 gfx card these days.

So, when somebody buys something that might not be cutting edge, it's a loser's move to make fun of it. TPU is about tech, whether it's the cheapest, or the most expensive. We should make that person feel happy with their purchase, perhaps advise on future improvements. Certainly, laughing emoji's posted as a response to a purchase are pathetic. They say more about the member's reaction than they do about the OP's purchase. Tech starts as a bargain bucket purchase. Or a hand-me-down. By the way, feel free to Pay It Forward. It can climb all the way to a HOF RTX 3090. And just as the budget scale, it shows weakness to mock someone spending at the other end. Tech is tech. People have different budgets. Whatever that budget, TPU should offer support. Not condemnation. Certainly not mockery.

Just my two cents about some very disturbing recent trends. As a mod. If I see it happening, I'll just start handing out infractions left, right and center.

If you can't support the community, why are you even here?

Would like to see this topic get back on track, OP quoted for reference to what kicked things off. :toast:

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
If anyone read this thread, all they figured out was it was humans being humans. @the54thvoid , if we people are being assholes, tell them and give em a vacay. Then move on.

If they are still an asshole, ban them again.

If they are an ass hole a turd time, throw asses out the club.

Remember, assholes gonna asshole.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
If anyone read this thread, all they figured out was it was humans being humans. @the54thvoid , if we people are being assholes, tell them and give em a vacay. Then move on.

If they are still an asshole, ban them again.

If they are an ass hole a turd time, throw asses out the club.

Remember, assholes gonna asshole.

That is just but one side of things. Said rules apply for so long, then they (members) always make their way back in under some guise to improve, which never ends up panning out, but the game must still be played, adding to the stress of the moderation.

Maybe I'm out of line, maybe the reality needed to be said. It is never as cut and dry as you want it to be.

Edit:

I feel this thread is a vent from the team trying to play good cop to you all (me included), rather than having to go to the lengths of what I quoted above. Sort of like explaining commons sense or street smarts to those uncommon folk and those who live on water.

The topic needed to be addressed, and I feel it was handled well.

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
That is just but one side of things. Said rules apply for so long, then they (members) always make their way back in under some guise to improve, which never ends up panning out, but the game must still be played, adding to the stress of the moderation.

Maybe I'm out of line, maybe the reality needed to be said. It is never as cut and dry as you want it to be.

I understand. Nothing is black and white and shades of gray. The rules aren't difficult. Most of the people either know the are breaking them or are just assholes. In either case, the result should be the same. Chances don't need to be infinite. No one deserves TPU, TPU is a privilege. If they can't handle it, they don't have it.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
I understand. Nothing is black and white and shades of gray. The rules aren't difficult. Most of the people either know the are breaking them or are just assholes. In either case, the result should be the same. Chances don't need to be infinite. No one deserves TPU, TPU is a privilege. If they can't handle it, they don't have it.

Text ripped right out of my heart!

I was the bad cop, and you expressed my mantra as a supermod ;)

Also, to be fair, my one warning was for being an asshole!

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
Here is a perfect example of what's going on and what this thread is all about.

I have stopped posting as much as I used to due to many members attempting to start arguing with opinions on things, hardware, or other things.

Not only due I find @the54thvoid 's original post about giving people crap about their choice in hardware, but also about general attitudes toward other members.

i got 2x32" and see no genuine use for two monitors outside of specific 2D workloads
Your use case scenario is clearly different from others. I'm very much with Bill on this one, multi monitor setups fill a need in ways no single display can handle.

Truth is the moment you do something with technology its like outdated the next day.
That's not as true as it used to be.

Last edited:
Here is a perfect example of what's going on and what this thread is all about.

I have stopped posting as much as I used to due to many members attempting to start arguing with opinions on things, hardware, or other things.

Not only due I find @the54thvoid 's original post about giving people crap about their choice in hardware, but also about general attitudes toward other members.

Enthusiasts argue about lots of things, maybe senseless things. But that's what makes us enthusiasts: having opinions on different parts! I've been on both sides of this: I've been to communities that were "too elite" and made some people feel unwelcome. But I've also been to communities that were so watered down that no discussion or self-improvement ever happened.

The "elitists", for better or worse, have highly opinionated opinions. This is useful and helpful when debating and discussing different parts. Its unhelpful in the context of newbies or beginners.

At least in video game forums, there are "beginner" and "advanced" communities, or "casual" vs "hardcore". The casuals often talk about story details, art quality, music... while the "hardcore" talk about speedrunning, optimial strategies, or whatever. Both are important for an overall community, but its important to remember that the two sides are completely different people. And a good community needs to serve both sides.

For some websites: they exclusively cater to one side or the other. Its not necessary for one community to serve both needs simultaneously: other websites can form an "alliance" or "rivalry", and help organize / categorize visitors appropriately.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thread has wandered all over the spectrum of opinions.
It seems to be an off-topic opinion fest of values, personal feelings (un-related to topic), and analogies.

You have been warned by other mods...

Stay on topic.
Stop personal insults.

Thank You.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Thread has wandered all over the spectrum of opinions.
It seems to be an off-topic opinion fest of values, personal feelings (un-related to topic), and analogies.

You have been warned by other mods...

Stay on topic.
Stop personal insults.

Thank You.
But hey, what did you expect? Even @Mussels said "i got 2x32" and see no genuine use for two monitors outside of specific 2D workloads", he's a moderaptor and staff member, and that was a highly opinionated opinion. It's been a long thread, you can't expect everyone to stay narrowly on topic and keep themselves from expressing opinions for several days. Of insults, I've seen very few in this thread, and I wish it were the same in all other threads.
Indeed, forum members are now trying hard to identify certain groups of people that could be called "elitists", rightly or wrongly, based on budget or something else, and others may take this as an offence. But wasn't it the first post that triggered this?

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
It's not a complement or helpful. And that's not an opinion

e·lit·ist
/əˈlēdəst,āˈlēdəst/

noun
plural noun: elitists

1. a person who believes that a society or system should be led by an elite.
    "critics portray him as an out-of-touch elitist"

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
i know i will not make friends here with my saying but i find it very confusing if a mod tells me\everybody this.
If you can't support the community, why are you even here?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
You guys cant see deleted posts, it went off topic and started talking about taking morphine and meth somehow.

Since my monitor comments got brought into it somehow: that's because some people see having the full triple monitor setup as something to brag about the elite status for, despite having no actual reason for it. Even when i mentioned that certain 2D workloads (meaning an actual job) benefit i still had people who fit that criteria get offended somehow... which is exactly what this elitist thread is about.

Why it is wrong to say something is not useful or wanted by many?
a 5600x and a 5950x might as well be the same for gaming for a laaaarge amount of situations, and yet people get insulted and judged for having a 'mere' 6 core CPU
16GB is honestly enough for gaming yet why are people judging others for not getting 32GB of DDR4 4000, when the difference from 16GB of 3200 is within margin of error in most tests?

Someone has a shiny pebble and really cares about it, so you think holy crap those things have VALUE!
You go to effort and get a shiny pebble. You love your shiny pebble. You show it off to everyone.
In a deja vu moment someone comes along and sees your shiny pebble, you fluff up your feathers and strike a pose like the moment you first saw one and... they don't care and walk off.
I guess this part is all about social status, because then you MUST convince them your pebble has worth because the moment one person doesnt care, it spread until no one cares... and then you're holding a polished turd and everyones laughing at you.

So you know, aggressively sell the same marketing you fell for so you dont look like an idiot for falling for marketing. which makes you look like a bigger idiot, so you gotta sell it even harder...

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
Someone has a shiny pebble and really cares about it, so you think holy crap those things have VALUE!
You go to effort and get a shiny pebble. You love your shiny pebble. You show it off to everyone.
In a deja vu moment someone comes along and sees your shiny pebble, you fluff up your feathers and strike a pose like the moment you first saw one and... they don't care and walk off.

I think this is often the case when I get in 'trouble' with said ppl.

Cause most of the time I just don't care about the stuff they try to show off or impress with and I'm like okay thats good for you and for me that would be the end of the discussion and move on.
But nope they insist that I just don't know what I miss out and further talk about how superior their stuff is yet I still don't care cause I'm perfectly fine with what I own/fits my use case and thats when it gets out of hand/insults thrown at me and whatnot.:rolleyes:
Its like those ppl can't get it through their skull that other ppl might have different needs/preferences and that they are good as it is.
Almost like it personally offends them or something.

As for the multi monitor setup, while I can see benefits for some ppl and use case but for me it would be a waste since I don't do anything that would require it and have no plans on ever going down that route.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
I will tell you this. Everyone this.

No one dares to talk bad, or try to diminish my shiny pebble.

I'm also impressed how a conversation talking about trying to keep the hardware team in perfect harmony. With Apple trees and Honey bees and snow white turtle doves.

Moves to to "coke" (drugs). I'm always amazed by such diversion of topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.