1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hardware or Software issue?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by hat, Mar 23, 2010.

1. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I've got a Creative Audigy II ZS sound card, and I used hacked drivers (probably Daniel_k's work, not sure), to re-enable features like stereo surround, and I've got some weird audio problems...

For starters, half the time when I connect on Vent, people say I sound like I'm talking through a fan with reverb on. I have to disable the microphone in the windows sound options, reboot, then re-enable it and maybe it will work properly, maybe it won't. I have to keep repeating this process until it sounds normal. The same thing also happens when I use What U Hear (for example, recording gameplay with fraps will have the same effect).

Audio playback also messes up sometimes. It doesn't happen all the time and only in certian games (STALKER and America's Army seem to be the favorite games for this), but intermittently I will get this sound like something is hitting a fan, it will usually last for a few seconds and go away, then it will intermittently happen again. I used to think it was EAX until I disabled EAX and it still happened...

Is this a driver issue, or is my sound card going bad?

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Possibly driver,but my advice is get an asus xonar dx.I have zero issues with drivers or my mic.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Hmm... if I had that sound card, would I be able to "upmix" 2 channel content to 5 channel content, i.e. play music through my center and back speakers?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Its a driver issue - the current latest drivers is the 3.8 support pack from Daniel.K Its a documented bug with the drivers & I dont think theres a lot anyone can do about it even DK himself since the same issue is present with a fair few of his Audigy support packs.

hat says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    What about the Creative drivers? Do they have this issue as well, or is it just the hacked drivers?

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    AFAIK Creative dont officially support Audigy cards on Windows Vista/W7 & the only driver available is the Microsoft one which dates back to 2006 but is fairly stable.

but if you went with the Microsoft driver then you lose everything thats good about the Audigy as you wont have the control panels & other software to fully manipulate the hardware. if you game then you are going to need the hacked drivers otherwise you cant use Alchemy when/if you game (or can you??)

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I don't really care about Alchemy, just being able to upmix stereo content to play through my center and back speakers... I need the hacked drivers for that... however, if the hacked drivers are making me sound like I'm talking through a fan and the Creative drivers don't have this issue, I would rather use the Creative drivers.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    well its your call - could be that your mic is shit & is picking up a lot of interference etc etc cuz thats what happend with my old one

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    It's not that cause I got the same effect with What U Hear, and it never happened when I used the mic with onboard audio.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    well then i suppose the M$ driver would be the way to go. otherwise just get a Xonar D1. their fairly cheap & they sound awesome. though patience is required when it comes to drivers.... /facedesk

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    so why not use your onboard for the mic?

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    1. The mic would have to somehow reach to the onboard while the audio jack for the mic is in the sound card.. which is physically impossible

2. I don't like using 2 audio devices if I don't have to

3. The sound card sounds better than the onboard when it's working properly

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i dont get what you mean with #1

plug your output into the sound card, and the mic into the onboard. whats the difficulty?

2. I'm using like, 5 at the moment. there is NO problems with doing this.

3. but its not working properly... so use the one that sounds better NOW. you can always change back if you solve the problem.

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    1. It's a headset, the sound jack and the mic jack only have like an inch or two of leeway away from eachother. The wires are connected. It's physically impossible for the mic plug to reach the onboard while the sound plug is in the sound card.

2. Yeah, sure it's possible, and there's no real problem, but I just don't like it.

3. Yeah, with the hacked drivers. So far, it appears the drivers from Creative are working properly.

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    While we're on the subject... is there any way for me to upmix stereo content to play through my center and back speakers without using hacked drivers?

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    see if you can extract the applications from the 3.8 pack - install the M$ Driver & see if the applications still pick up the driver.

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    hat: grab a 3.5mm extension cord, problem solved on the mic.

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Hmm... it still did it with the creative drivers. I guess the drivers blow through and through.

10 Year Member at TPU