• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Have been wondering what SWTOR was....

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
God forbid the player have to actually read something for immersion, right? LOL :rolleyes:

ha ha very true but it's been a long time since a MMO has been good enough that I wanted to read all the text. Mostly I just want to get my quests and go. Or collect my reward and move on.

The last MMO that I enjoyed reading all the text bubbles was LOTRO.

In todays day and age; with the technology we have; there is no reason we should have to read when a voice actor can speak. Talk about MORE immersion; thats where it is at.

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 3.825ghz 1.36v
Motherboard ASRock x370 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-C14s
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 16gb 3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 ti
Display(s) LG 4k IPS
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 + more fans
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA P2 750w
Mouse G900
Keyboard G810
Software Windows 10 Pro
I am currently playing a lvl 23 Operative on Vulkar Highway.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
God forbid the player have to actually read something for immersion, right? LOL :rolleyes:

Whats is there possible to roll your eyes at there? Are you saying text is superior to voice? Text can be immersive, but when quests are just walls of text, no one reads them. I listen to every conversation on TOR, and enjoy it a ton. Played most mmo's out there, and any with text just don't have the immersion, SP games have had voice for years, and there is a reason why. So not sure what the fits about.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Whats is there possible to roll your eyes at there? Are you saying text is superior to voice? Text can be immersive, but when quests are just walls of text, no one reads them. I listen to every conversation on TOR, and enjoy it a ton. Played most mmo's out there, and any with text just don't have the immersion, SP games have had voice for years, and there is a reason why. So not sure what the fits about.

It all depends on how it's done. Fallout 1/2 are damnly immersive and they have almost no speech at all. If used properly it's great, but speech does not equal moar immershun. The biggest problem with MMO's in general is a lack of sense and the fact that you see hundreds of other players doing the same thing as you do, which sometimes can make sense but other times it's just silly. It's the reason MMO's can never beat a proper single player game in storytelling and dialouge.

System Name THE MAD BEAST!!!
Processor Tinfoil rapper with some coathangers
Motherboard Graham cracker with with frosting
Cooling A shovel full of snow
Memory Grey matter out of a corpse
Video Card(s) Cat eyes
Storage A whales brain
Display(s) Cyclops eyeball
Case Inside a yetis hollowed out corpse
Audio Device(s) howling banchee
Power Supply 32 hamster on a massive wheel
Software WHo needs software when you have a box of kittens
Benchmark Scores IS gatrillions a number?
i wannna just throw my 2 cents in here, i have no played the game but my wife has it and ive been watching her play, now it doesnt look like a horrible MMO by any standard, the graphics are a bit dated IMO. the lack of AA makes the game look kinda crappy when you start it up even on a res of 1920x1080. the graphics settings are lacking, character customization i was not impressed with that as i was watching her make her character, its a fricking bioware game really!!!! COME ON!!...lol i watched her play a little bit, seems like a run of the mill MMO set in the star wars universe. nothing horrible but at the same time nothing special. now if they were to somehow mix galaxies with this game, now that would have been dam impressive. i will eventually give it a try seeing im getting a free copy in a couple weeks, so why not, lawls, gotta love gifts

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
It all depends on how it's done. Fallout 1/2 are damnly immersive and they have almost no speech at all. If used properly it's great, but speech does not equal moar immershun. The biggest problem with MMO's in general is a lack of sense and the fact that you see hundreds of other players doing the same thing as you do, which sometimes can make sense but other times it's just silly. It's the reason MMO's can never beat a proper single player game in storytelling and dialouge.

Thats all opinion(this whole coversation is really just a matter of opinion). Personally I have been more immersed with this MMO's storyline than any "proper" singe player rpg except Skyrim. Immersion to me isn't just about the dialogue, but about the UI, camera angles, and how the characters react(part of the reason Oblivion wasn't immersive to me, facial and character animations were horrible, and I didn't like the UI, especially the font). And this game nails it, I love the responses I have and learning the personalities of people in the game. Playing through the storyline the dialogue feels like any other Bioware game out there. And I disagree with text being as immersive, if you love reading everything, sure. But personally I get sick of it after a while. Going back to Skyrim for an example here, I started that game reading every book I found. Then I found a room with like 40 books, and I gave that up fast. I would much rather enjoy the game and hear the dialogue than spending my time reading it.

These kind of arguments are the same that can make anything stupid, using words like immershun. I mean who really needs visuals after all? Really, I mean thats just eye candy. The text based games of the 80's were extremely immersive, so we should have never moved past those, because that was perfection, and we should have mocked all attempts at introducing graphics to rpgs.

Last edited:
System Name White Theme
Processor Intel 12700K CPU
Motherboard ASUS STRIX Z690-A D4
Cooling Lian Li Galahad Uni w/ AL120 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aero 4080 Super 16GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0
Display(s) Alienware 38" 3840x1600 (165Hz)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Audio Device(s) 2i2 Scarlett Solo + Schiit Magni 3 AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000 Platinum
How is this game so far? I've played Skyrim alot and am in the mood for a good MMORPG especially now that I've sold my main rig and am now back to playing games on my laptop. The price on their main site is really high... 59 bucks plus 29.99 for a month? or is a month included on initial purchase? I am not looking for a WoW killer but more of an alternative while WoW is imo still the best MMO out there, for me it is also the most time consuming, so in that regard do you guys so far see yourself having to spend just as much time in SWTOR to achieve anything in this game? Or am I better off waiting for Guild Wars 2 :p? I am starting university next year so I definitely don't want an MMO that eats as much time as WoW for end-game etc.

I want a new Star Wars Battlefront:( Using the battlefield III engine would be sweet.
Just some off topic wining:eek:

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
How is this game so far? I've played Skyrim alot and am in the mood for a good MMORPG especially now that I've sold my main rig and am now back to playing games on my laptop. The price on their main site is really high... 59 bucks plus 29.99 for a month? or is a month included on initial purchase? I am not looking for a WoW killer but more of an alternative while WoW is imo still the best MMO out there, for me it is also the most time consuming, so in that regard do you guys so far see yourself having to spend just as much time in SWTOR to achieve anything in this game? Or am I better off waiting for Guild Wars 2 :p? I am starting university next year so I definitely don't want an MMO that eats as much time as WoW for end-game etc.

If you liked WoW, you will probably like this game. The combat is basically the same, but the story telling, crafting, and instances are better. Its hard to say on time investment, but with much easier farming/crafting it probably won't require as much time. Also $29.99 a month? Is that what WoW costs there? Over here it's $15 a month, same as P@P MMO.

System Name THE MAD BEAST!!!
Processor Tinfoil rapper with some coathangers
Motherboard Graham cracker with with frosting
Cooling A shovel full of snow
Memory Grey matter out of a corpse
Video Card(s) Cat eyes
Storage A whales brain
Display(s) Cyclops eyeball
Case Inside a yetis hollowed out corpse
Audio Device(s) howling banchee
Power Supply 32 hamster on a massive wheel
Software WHo needs software when you have a box of kittens
Benchmark Scores IS gatrillions a number?
kurgan you should go work for EA/Bioware/lucasarts, HAHAHAHAHA your doing more for there game then they are.

and on another note, been watching my wife more, i realized all the jaggies start hurting my eyes after awhile. something i dont like...and why are all the enemies in groups of 3 and just stand there...they dont really even move around. it makes it feel lifeless. not saying i wont give it a try cause im getting a free copy hahahahaha. just saying some minor annoyances which i hope they fix or ill probably play for all of 5 minutes

jed

System Name REAPER
Processor AMD FX-8350 x8 @ 4.64 GHz (20x232, 1.4625v)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair Liquid H60. 2 front in, 1 side in, 1 rear out (H60), 1 top out.
Memory G.Skill Sniper 2x4 GB DDR3 1333 @ 1546
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7950 3GB @ 1095/1395
Storage Crucial M500 240 GB SSD and Western Digital Green 1TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Acer H223H 22.5"
Case Antec 300 Black Steel
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair CX-600 Watt 80 Bronze
Mouse Corsair Sabre RGB Optical
Keyboard Logitech G610 Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores 3dMark 2011 - 8965 15210 3dMark06 (old system)
TOR was a huge letdown for me. I am a massive Star Wars fan, so I was really banking on the uber customization BW is obviously capable of. Some people say customization doesn't mean anything in MMO's, but for some people it's huge. Especially in a game where your character is front and center on the screen every time you acquire/turn in a quest!!!! The customization/character creation is one step above "non-existent", especially when you compare what BW is capable of from their games. A game based on a galaxy with thousands of species and unlimited possibilities and my character is limited to four races? 4 eye colors... 10 faces (all with the same noses or eyes, ears etc in some cases)... 4 body types: druggie, skinny human, tall steroid freak, and Boss Nass. And it continues into gear customization and other things, just a huge let down.

Other than that... it's okay. I played beta for probably 3 months and was seriously hoping to see some (very demanding) changes that weren't made. I guess I just overhyped myself for this game. The game is alright though and some of the good areas are the voice acting and crafting seems to be kind of fun. The space combat is extremely limited and railed but is pretty fun for an offworld escape now and then. Hopefully many things will be implemented and addressed in later updates like a barber shop, more visual options (AA for f***s sake!), more customization options, etc.

System Name White Theme
Processor Intel 12700K CPU
Motherboard ASUS STRIX Z690-A D4
Cooling Lian Li Galahad Uni w/ AL120 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aero 4080 Super 16GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0
Display(s) Alienware 38" 3840x1600 (165Hz)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Audio Device(s) 2i2 Scarlett Solo + Schiit Magni 3 AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000 Platinum
If you liked WoW, you will probably like this game. The combat is basically the same, but the story telling, crafting, and instances are better. Its hard to say on time investment, but with much easier farming/crafting it probably won't require as much time. Also $29.99 a month? Is that what WoW costs there? Over here it's $15 a month, same as P@P MMO.

I've misread it, it's actually 59 USD with a free month and then an extra 29 USD if you want an additional 60 days, so you're right it is roughly the same as WoW payment wise. And thank god, farming in WoW is IRL labour since it takes so much time, glad it is not like the same, just with that I think I am sold to buying and giving the game a go, too bad they don't offer a trial :/. Hopefully this should keep me entertained while I wait for other MMOs to pop up (Guild Wars 2, TERA).

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
Forcing AA in the video card settings (for me in the CCC) will remove the jaggies in game. Of course this comes with a performance hit but nothing my PC can't handle.

I've reached L12 now...took forever and all day to get there. maybe I'm doing something wrong? But the game so far is good If you really enjoyed WoW then you should enjoy this. The story telling and voice acting is really what sets this game apart. It's very well done. I haven't felt this immersed in a MMO since....well never. But that doesn't mean its the best MMO of all time. It's not. But its Star Wars, it's fun and I really enjoy the classes I've tried. The Bounty Hunter is one awesome class to play. Visually its very nice if not a bit dated but it grows on you quick. More so when the jaggies are all gone. But I'm wasting time I could be getting paid to kill targets. Back to TOR I go...

Last edited: