• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Have computer games benefited the real world?

ex_reven

I have to present a 20 minute seminar to my design faculty regarding computer games. I have political, social, and design bases down pat, but I have one lingering question.

Does anyone know if there are any substantial inventions (eg new technologies, ideas, etc) influenced by video games?

My question to you, how have video games garnered real world benefits for us? (Apart from stress relief and entertainment of course ;) )

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
For people new to PCs one of the main things of PC gaming is also knowing your PC.
If I didn't start playing games on PCs I would not have learn't to build my own PCs.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Most likely you're only substantial proof of beneficial will be based on military and space program uses.

This isn't to suggest that by sitting around playing Rainbow Six, that SEALs get better, but the increase in virtual technology has probably allowed better simulation programs, whether it be combat, flight, space shuttle etc.

Other than that, no I can't see how video games have done anything beneficial for society.

Thats a good point.
Increased computer literacy is quite a benefit.

This is borderline opinionated. One could easily say that computer literacy is a moot point, when the bigger questions looms: Do we really need such intrusiveness by computers in modern day life? And furthering that, there's a large difference between computers that manage stock marketing and banking procedures vs. computers that provide entertainment. An architect does not play one of the Tycoon series games, in order to know how to build a structure in a virtual environment. A 3d modeler/programmer does not need to be a WoW junkie, in order to have passion for his work. You don't have to play games in order to be interested in and/or learn how to build computers. etc.

ex_reven

Basically, im addressing the issue mainly by demonstrating how video gaming is reflexive of contextual info.

Burnout - example of political advertising (barack obama campaign)
Numerous games that captured the modern day context of the Iraq/middle eastern conflicts (eg Battlefield 2)
Americas Army - recruiting tool for the army to try and increase troop numbers
simulators - realistic representation of environments (flight, etc)

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Does anyone know if there are any substantial inventions (eg new technologies, ideas, etc) influenced by video games?
Realtime 3D rendering (points at Wolfenstein 3D, 3DFX, NVIDIA, and ATI). It's not an invention per say but without games, there really is no need to do 3D rendering in realtime.

My question to you, how have video games garnered real world benefits for us?
Considering it is a multi-billion dollar industry, the entertainment value of it cannot be underestimated. I good game can really take the edge off a bad day.

Edit: Modern games are basically story books with simulator undertones. Take any FPS, for instance. You might be killing freaky lookin' aliens but notice how they almost always behave in a way that can be likened to something here on Earth? I literally can't come up with something a computer does that is not a simulation of some part of reality. All games do is put the operator in control of a simulation, basically. Some do it in a way that is amusing, some don't.

Last edited:
Processor Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | P4 @ 2.1GHz
Motherboard Asus Commando ROG (Vdroop mod) | Asus P4V8X-MX
Cooling MegaShadow w/ 2x Scythe Slipstream MX-2 Paste + Kama Bay + 4x120mm case fan | stock Intel
Memory Kingston 4x1GB DDR2 @ 800MHz w/ OCZ XTC cooler | 1GB DDR @ 400MHz
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 260 1792mb 448bit @ 713/1458/1116x2 | GeForce 4 MX 440 AGP8X 64mb 64bit
Storage 640GB WD AACS 250GB Excelstor 160GB Seagate | 40GB WD
Display(s) Samsung T220, Samsung 32" 1080P | LG L1752S
Case Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 | Trendsonic mid tower
Audio Device(s) Asus Supreme FX (Creative Inspire 5.1 speaker), Samsung HT-Z220 | Onboard audio (2.1 Speaker)
Power Supply Gigabyte Odin Pro 800W | 550W generic
Software Vista Ultimate 64 SP2 | XP Pro 32 SP3
Benchmark Scores 3Dmark06 - 17,348 Vantage - P13,510 Super PI 1M - 12.765s @ 4.1GHz GenericCPUbench - 6,864 ms 38,
to interact w/ different people from around the world
to develop skills and team work

this looks like a 13 year old answer :roll:

ex_reven

This is borderline opinionated. One could easily say that computer literacy is a moot point, when the bigger questions looms: Do we really need such intrusiveness by computers in modern day life? And furthering that, there's a large difference between computers that manage stock marketing and banking procedures vs. computers that provide entertainment. An architect does not play one of the Tycoon series games, in order to know how to build a structure in a virtual environment. A 3d modeler/programmer does not need to be a WoW junkie, in order to have passion for his work. You don't have to play games in order to be interested in and/or learn how to build computers. etc.

I agree with you on those points. Im not trying to say these things however (unless actual real world proof is obtainable). Im not trying to say that people need or are influenced by games, im more trying to state actual products/technologies that have evolved out of the rapid state of development involved in game development. Hopefully that makes more sense.

Computer literacy is perhaps too much of an umbrella term. One way of putting it would be that computer games revolve around a repetitive (yet probably entertaining) element. This repetiton might be seen as the development of the way in which we interact with computers, becoming more familiarised with the repetitive elements of the machine and learning the multiplicity of available inputs/outcomes that are associated with computers. This of course wont even form more than a short statement in my discussion, it will just be an open comment for consideration by the audience rather than literal fact.

All the same its helpful.

ex_reven

Sorry for double post, wanted to escape from a big block of text haha.

FordGT90's statement about rendering technologies comes to mind as an ideal technology emerging (hopefully) from or as a result of gaming.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
I agree with you on those points. Im not trying to say these things however (unless actual real world proof is obtainable). Im not trying to say that people need or are influenced by games, im more trying to state actual products/technologies that have evolved out of the rapid state of development involved in game development. Hopefully that makes more sense.
I would stick to realtime 3D and physics processing then. The keyword is "realtime."

Another keyword is "affordability." The majority of people will not spend extreme amounts of money on entertainment. Gaming basically created a demand for realtime processing hardware and the demand was in the form of bang for the buck. If gaming never did exist on computers, the Radeon and GeForce lines of cards would not exist and Ageia would have never created a dedicated physics processor.

I would also say that gaming has driven the need for better audio cards too--specifically environment emulation like EAX.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Well the movie industry is happy to have titles to pump out without too much creativity on most fronts when things go from games-to-movies, but hey the industry makes a ton of cash so I suppose that's one real-life impact. Jobs are created to make the movie, we spend money to see it.

I know quite a few guys in the military that are gamers, some are damn good...only a few play FPS games, those that haven't generally been stuck in infantry or special units...but none-the-less a lot say it's kind of a nice stress reducer when they get the time and chance to game...that's a damn good positive impact on real life to me.

Figured I'd toss a couple in for ya...whether or not they do any good for your cause..

:toast:

ex_reven

I would stick to realtime 3D and physics processing then. The keyword is "realtime."

Another keyword is "affordability." The majority of people will not spend extreme amounts of money on entertainment. Gaming basically created a demand for realtime processing hardware and the demand was in the form of bang for the buck. If gaming never did exist on computers, the Radeon and GeForce lines of cards would not exist and Ageia would have never created a dedicated physics processor.

I would also say that gaming has driven the need for better audio cards too--specifically environment emulation like EAX.

This also drives the point that perhaps gaming has enhanced AI and other game features that make up part of other activities involving interactivity whether computer based or not.

Well the movie industry is happy to have titles to pump out without too much creativity on most fronts when things go from games-to-movies, but hey the industry makes a ton of cash so I suppose that's one real-life impact. Jobs are created to make the movie, we spend money to see it.

I know quite a few guys in the military that are gamers, some are damn good...only a few play FPS games, those that haven't generally been stuck in infantry or special units...but none-the-less a lot say it's kind of a nice stress reducer when they get the time and chance to game...that's a damn good positive impact on real life to me.

Figured I'd toss a couple in for ya...whether or not they do any good for your cause..

:toast:

The movie industry is an interesting point. If I can find sources pointing to the fact that CGI was originally developed or achieved breakthroughs within gaming purposes then perhaps I can link CGI success in movies to that.

Edit - damn just checked, CGI was originally used in animation :(

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
Americas army is used by the American government as a public relations recruiting mecanism for the us army.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Basically, im addressing the issue mainly by demonstrating how video gaming is reflexive of contextual info.

Burnout - example of political advertising (barack obama campaign)
Numerous games that captured the modern day context of the Iraq/middle eastern conflicts (eg Battlefield 2)
Americas Army - recruiting tool for the army to try and increase troop numbers
simulators - realistic representation of environments (flight, etc)

Right well that's fine, yet it isn't directed towards 'beneficial,' under the premise you used previously.

Because under that premise, then this reply:

...is once again irrelevant. Increased demand for better products, that ultimatley turn around and cater to the same market that desired them (the entertainment market), is not 'beneficial' to the real world. It's a luxury, not a necessity.

However, since you re-aligned your initial enquiry, then a better question would have been, "Is the influence of video games in modern society and culture, helpful, or harmful?"

ex_reven

Right well that's fine, yet it isn't directed towards 'beneficial,' under the premise you used previously.

Maybe a better question would have been, "Is the influence of video games in modern society and culture, helpful, or harmful?"

Well I actually am aiming this conversation at the benefits as I have already discerned the negatives myself. Unfortunantly I couldnt seem to find much information on the positives, since usually the only thing that involves studies regarding gaming is about how violence affects youth etc.

My seminar presentation doesnt really need a central arguement, as the goal of it is quite vague in terms of criteria.
In summary I am:
- Introducing, defining video games and their history
- Talking about why we NEED/WANT video games
- Introducing how games are relevant by means of story, gender, political and ethical nature to their respective audiences
- Analysing communicative elements using still frames of a game/promotional medium and discussing how it reflects historical/cultural context
- Talking about politcal, social, economic, philosophical and tecnological influences (positive and negative)
- How games influence culture and how culture influences games
- How the aspects of game production are reflexive

etc

bigtye

System Name ibuiltit
Processor E8500 stock for now
Motherboard Gigabyte EP45 DS4
Cooling CPU- Xigmatek Red Scorpion, 1x23cm fan, 3x12cm fan
Memory 4gb Corsair Dominator 8500
Video Card(s) Asus 5850 1gb
Storage Samsung 750gb F1, 500bg F1 for backup
Display(s) Samsung 226BW
Case Thermaltake Armour+
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Corsair 750 TX
Software xp 32 bit SP3, Win 7 64 bit
Heard about this on the radio a while ago, but some big US surgeon is using computer games to help train new surgeons in fine motor control or something like that. Link provided

http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/news/2004/12/66086

Try googling "surgeons prcatice on nintendo", there is heaps on the benefits of playing games prior to surgury in reducing errors etc.

Might be a bit left field for what you are after but could be a good little side note.

Also, the US army uses a giant tank warfare game simulator with about 40 "tanks" setup in a wharehouse all wired up with monitors inside and electronic controls. Here they replay tank battles of the First Gulf War like a giant lan game. Each tank crew in their own little "tank" container, working togther and coordinating with like 10 other tank platoons. It's as close as they can get to real combat in terms of communication and coordination.

Tye

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
I suppose you can say its benifited companies as it gives them another platform to advertise there products.

ex_reven

Arguably, video games can reinforce moral and other important problem solving skills based on the reward systems by which many games are structured.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
I suppose you can say its benifited companies as it gives them another platform to advertise there products.
That reminds me... The solar wind farms in SimCity Societies: Destinations has BP logos slapped on them. Actual businesses advertising in games is a growing trend. I don't know if you can use that or not.

A few tidbits:
-SimHealth was basically all about mocking Clinton's healthcare plan.
-A Maxis employee that is apparently homosexual added unauthorized content to SimCopter.
-A special version of Wolfenstein 3D was released in Germany that basically had everything relating to Nazism removed.
-Pirating of games ranks 25th among global contraband lists.
-Most modern games require some form of installation while games from yesteryear often ran directly from the medium.
-The world's first video game console was the Magnavox Odyssey created by Ralph Baer.
-Many game concepts were turned into films including Super Mario Bros., Doom, Tomb Raider, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, and MaxPayne.
-Most major movies are turned into games via the film publisher. Some examples of this is Batman: Forever, The Lord of the Rings, Toy Story, and A Bee Movie.

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
I thought this thread was just about Computer Games bu tnow I see it's about video games which is broader.

In that case nintendo Wii is being used in Elderly homes as a source of exercise for them.

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
You also have the world's economy. The more gamers, the more spending for games, the more jobs can be created to produce even more games.

@Widjaja
Good point about consoles and the Wii.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Videogames gave rise to simulators..for the Airforce, Airliner industry. Some games could be used in training military tactics....to the military. Other than those, apart from the industrial point of view, it hasn't helped much. Kids would want to pwn eachother in the real world (by starting businesses at a young age, pursuing studies with dedication, getting better jobs...) now they'd like to pwn eachother in Counter Strike.

PCpraiser100

System Name REBEL R1
Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard ASUS P6T
Cooling Stock
Memory 6GB OCZ GOLD TC LV Kit 1866MHz@1.65V 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) Two Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X Xfire'd and OC'd (920/1330)
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB 32MB
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 PCI Sound Card
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 500W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 16585 Performance Score on 3DMark Vantage
Video games have come a long way to achieving an immersive gaming experience, and we seem to be half-way there. I really want to see games with more Ray-Tracing and dynamic textures, no shaders. I kind of liked Half-Life 2 this way since it scaled with most of the virtual environment. I know some developers are trying to challenge computers through such games like Crysis, but seriously I know eye-candy overkill when I see it. If there seems to be too much of a single graphic element, such as shaders, I go mad just looking at it since it spoils the whole game.

I agree with you too btarunr, as I kind of think of it as some kind of a pandemic seeing such pointless gameplay by just pwning each other in Red vs Blue sessions.