• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Having some PC issues (boot failure & more)

System Name Haz0
Processor i7-2700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
Cooling Chicken Stock
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripshits X 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5850
Storage Kingston 128GB SSD + WD Black 640GB + 2x 1.5TB
Display(s) 24" Acer G245HQ + 19" Lenovo L194
Case Antec NSK-4482 Orangified
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeGamer
Power Supply Corsair TX750W
Software Windows 7: Electric Boogaloo
Alright, we're talking about the "second puter" in my sys. specs. here. The other day, my mom goes to boot it up and it says that there was a boot failure and to put in the system disc to continue. It had Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit on it and I had been wanting to put my copy of Win7 on it, so I just put in the Win7 disc and booted from it. I got to the installation and decided that I just wanted to put my new Seagate drive in instead of using the old one, so I replace the drives and put Win 7 on the new drive. It's been working absolutely wonderfully for about 4 days. About 15 min. ago I went to get on and heard an odd noise coming from the hard drive, it spinning up and clicking. Almost immediately I blue screen, it says it tried dumping physical mem. but failed, and says it encountered a crucial somethinganother error, so I restart. It seemed to be working (it gave me the option to boot into safe mode and stuff). Then, about 30 sec. later everything locks up (except the clock gadget oddly enough), the hard drive makes the sound, it blue screens, and says it had a boot failure and for me to insert the disc, JUST like how it did with the drive I replaced. I've been using that same copy of Win7 on my main rig for almost a month now with no problems whatsoever except for the volume going up and down really fast sometimes, but I don't know what causes that. I really doubt that both of the drives would fail. Oh, and the first one didn't freeze up or make the sound before giving me the boot error thing, it just did it on startup. So maybe there's something up with my motherboard, my OS, the fact that I installed a 9600GSO recently, I don't know, I need some help :/

System Name KILLER
Processor Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard MSI Z87 G45 Gaming
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x8GB Gskill 2400mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980
Storage SSD Samsung 500GB
Display(s) 24" Asus 144hz
Case Cooler Master HAF
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Platinum
Power Supply Antec 1200 Watt Modular
Software Windows 10 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Vantage 51342
I had a issue about the same the other day.
Come to find out it was my GTX295 that i just got back from RMA.
It has a bad memory unit in it or something so i sent it in again.
It would hang in bios sometimes or hang at windows screen start up.
Sometimes it would even make it into windows and web browse.
But as soon as i went to do something that needed graphics power it locked up or blue screened. When i put my other 295 back in i had no issues at all.
This may not be your problem but try another graphics card if you have 1.

System Name Haz0
Processor i7-2700K
Cooling Chicken Stock
I had a issue about the same the other day.
Come to find out it was my GTX295 that i just got back from RMA.
It has a bad memory unit in it or something so i sent it in again.
It would hang in bios sometimes or hang at windows screen start up.
Sometimes it would even make it into windows and web browse.
But as soon as i went to do something that needed graphics power it locked up or blue screened. When i put my other 295 back in i had no issues at all.
This may not be your problem but try another graphics card if you have 1.

That actually makes sense, the time I was talking about after I restarted and it blue screened about min later, It did it right when I pulled up some screenshots off of Steam for a game. I can try taking out the 9600GSO if no one has any other ideas.

System Name Omen
Processor i7-4710HQ
Cooling Dual fan/heatpipe
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 4GB GTX 860M
Storage 256GB PCIE SSD/256GB PNY UHS-1 SD Card
Display(s) 15.6' 1080P
Case Aluminium
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Brick
Software Win 10
Umm maybe it culd be ur hard drive? my computer didnt boot up or if it did had funny problems and i opened up my case and found out my hard drive wasnt connected 100 percent...this could also explain the sounds you are hearing from your hard drive..if everything else fails..take it to a computer shop

System Name Haz0
Processor i7-2700K
Cooling Chicken Stock
I took out the 9600GSO and ran the video through the integrated 8200 (still showing as 9200). I thought it was going to work but it did it again. The hard drive is connected. I guess I could try formatting the drive with my other computer, and reinstalling Win7 on it while using the integrated 8200 and then after it's on try the 9600 again. Idk, I have a feeling that it would still do it. Is it possible that if the 9600 is bad, that it could still make my rig blue screen and get boot errors even after it's uninstalled?

Oh, also, the hard drive is being powered by a molex with a molex to SATA adapter on it. Idk if that's significant.

And if I took it to our PC shop they'd probably whoop my ass for having a pirated copy of Win7 on it.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
try to boot your main pc's hard drive in your second pc

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Try a new SATA cable, and try connecting the drive to a different power connector on the power supply.

System Name Omen
Processor i7-4710HQ
Cooling Dual fan/heatpipe
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 4GB GTX 860M
Storage 256GB PCIE SSD/256GB PNY UHS-1 SD Card
Display(s) 15.6' 1080P
Case Aluminium
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Brick
Software Win 10
Well a problem could be pirated win7 some files could be corrupt and that could cause a sound in the hard drive due to working hard to find the requested files for the computer to work. Also maybe try reinstalling win7 or if worse comes to worse just buy a copy of xp/vista since the problem could be a corrupt file. BTW did u download the file off the internet or bought it in like Thailand or something?
Since copies bought in Thailand etc are just downloaded off torrents and usually have viruses or corrupt files and they can't be bothered fixing it. BTW I DO NOT USE TORRENTS__just i kno this info from another forum.

System Name Haz0
Processor i7-2700K
Cooling Chicken Stock
Try a new SATA cable, and try connecting the drive to a different power connector on the power supply.

I'm very limited as to how I hook it up. There's only one line of 2 SATA connectors on the PSU, so the drive was hooked up with a molex to SATA adapter. I will try a new SATA cable just to be sure and may try to hook it up with a real SATA power connector instead of with a molex to SATA, and just hook the disc drive up with the adapter.

Well a problem could be pirated win7 some files could be corrupt and that could cause a sound in the hard drive due to working hard to find the requested files for the computer to work. Also maybe try reinstalling win7 or if worse comes to worse just buy a copy of xp/vista since the problem could be a corrupt file. BTW did u download the file off the internet or bought it in like Thailand or something?
Since copies bought in Thailand etc are just downloaded off torrents and usually have viruses or corrupt files and they can't be bothered fixing it. BTW I DO NOT USE TORRENTS__just i kno this info from another forum.

I'm 85% sure the problem isn't OS related. As I said, I'm using the same one on my main rig without a hitch and it was working fine for a week. I got it off TPB, I'm not that dumb as to buy one from someone. If any mods are reading this talk of pirating, I know it's against the rules but it's kinda urgent.

Through the information given from this post and the "Got a bad one" review in the middle here I think the problem was with the 9600. I think it has bad memory sectors and it screwed up some drivers or aspects of the OS that didn't go away when I uninstalled the card, that's why it still does it with the 8200.

I'm going to do a clean install of Win7 using the 8200 and hopefully it will work. If it works I'll get in contact with Newegg and/or Asus for instructions on how to RMA or return it.

Last edited: