1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD 4890 Vrm cooling.

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by grunt_408, Jul 15, 2009.

1. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Since recieving my 4890 the fan has been a little rattly. The rattle dissapears when the fan is running at 50percent. But while I am not gaming and just doing everyday stuff that does not require the fan to be going at 50percent I either have to put up with the rattle or crank the fan up to 50 percent. ( I hate RMA turnaround time so I havnt bothered doing it )

I just ordered a http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/34382-ac-tt

My question is this should I try the VRM cooling that comes inside this or should I take the standard cooler appart and put on the ram/vrm (block). I cannot seem to find any VRM coolers available here in Australia as yet, I see Thermalright and Zalman have a solution but cant see it being available here in Oz for a while.

I also wonder if anybody has attempted to make their own out of an old heatsink which I may end up doing.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you asked me to come here via my profile, but i dont know. i fit accelero S1's on my cards and used the stock VRM sink, but mine werent reference coolers to begin with.

grunt_408 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    The 4890 heatsink comes appart and the GPU cooler can be seperated from the rest so I guess in theory I could just fit my accelero over the top?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    thats what i did, but i have no idea if yours will fit. as i said, mines a non-reference design, so it wont be the same as yours.

grunt_408 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    I guess there is only one way to find out. I will take it apart and see if it fits.also thinking about cutting an old P4 478 heatsink down to size and fitting that.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Inioch

Inioch

Thanks Received:
    If the 4890 reference cooler is the same as 4870 (at least in dimensions), then the TT fits it okay. This is what I did after trying the TT's own vrm coolers (fried the card) and a Zalman heatsink, which had to be cut and still didn't cool properly.

So yes, it fits and it's the only good solution for air cooling.

grunt_408 says thanks.
  7. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Yes I definatley do not want a dead card on my hands. I am going to mess around and try to mod an old 478 heatsink into a VRM cooler it may work or may not

10 Year Member at TPU