1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD 6850 Bad Flash Recovery Pin 1+8 Method - Need Help

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by sHiZmN, Sep 9, 2011.

1. sHiZmN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Greets all,

in a moment of beeing distracted of a phone call ive managed to download n flash a wrong bios on my XFX HD 6850 video card.

This resulted in complete card failure, meaning fans of the card still spin, but there it ends - the card is also not recognized by atiflash in dos anymore, sending atiflash -i reports back "no adapter found".

Luckily i found a thread here on TPU where W1zzard and some other ppl managed to revive even dead cards that dont get regcognized anymore with a pin 1+8 shorting recovery method.

I`ll have to do that because its my only option as XFX wont replace the card, and i dont want to bury a 120 € card if there`s a bit of a chance to get it working again.

Now to my questions to the 1+8 pin mod on a HD 6850:

- Is the procedure still the same ? Pin 1 + Pin 8 shorting on the bios chip ? Just curious because the HD 6850 has a 1024 kb bios as far ive read, and maybe a different bios chip (pin) design ?

- Where on the card pcb is the bios chip located at ? ... ive made a pic of the back of my card, and there i see two chips which look like it could be the bios chip, but i need to know which one is the bios chip, and which pin`s need to be shorted there:

Here the pic, ive marked the 2 chips that (could) be the bios chip:

[​IMG]

As said, i need to know which one of those 2 chips is the bios chip, and which pins i need to short - Thanks for helping me. :respect:

2. sHiZmN New Member

Thanks Received:
    No one can tell me which is the bios chip ? ...cmon guys ^^

3. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    look be side your crossfire contacts,there should be a switch with 1 - 2 on it,Select 2 this puts the non-flash-able bios back on the card and allows you to flash 1 back in .

4. sHiZmN New Member

Thanks Received:
    My XFX 6850 doesnt have this switch.

Had a look at it to make sure, no switch there.

Any other ideas ?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  5. Scheich

Thanks Received:
    Dont you have a spare old card you can use to help flashing, maybe in an openened 1x pcie slot ?

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. sHiZmN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sure, have an Nvidia GTS 250 in PCI-E Slot 1, the 6850 is in PCI-E Slot 2, but i cant flash the 6850 because atiflash (and also winflash) always report "no adapter found", thats why i want to do this pin 1/8 trick from this thread here so that the card gets recognized:

1/8 Pin Recovery Thread

Problem is i dont know which chip exactly is the bios chip on the hd 6850, that i need to figure out. I hopeed somebody here can tell me whhich is the bios chip ?

7. Scheich

Thanks Received:
    Expressslot dont work all the time, sometimes they just dont. Reseat and try atiflash again.
    Make sure the bios u are using is not corrupted.

Focus on atiflash, it WILL work.

Good luck.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    If you manage to find the correct bios for your card.

put a spare graphics card in. make a USB boot disk to get into DOS mode. theres a HP program floating around somewhere where you can make a USB stick into a bootable device. once in dos, you can use ATiflash and flash the ATi card with the correct bios.

good luck

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. sHiZmN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ehm, does someone actually read what i wrote 2 times already ?

I have a 2nd card, its in and also i booted atiflash latest version from usb stick, but it shows "ADAPTER NOT FOUND" - meaning it does not recognize the hd 6850 - and you cant flash a card when atiflash cannot detect it - thats the problem.

I need an expert here who can tell me which is the bios chip on the 6850, thats why i posted this image of the back of my card - when i know which is the bios chip i can try pin 1/8 method to make the card getting detected again.

10. Scheich

Thanks Received:
    You can force the slots that are unknown with with a command, -p i think, just check the command with the atiflash help.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    If flashing does not work you got to get the exact numbers on the bios chips so that someone can find the right pins from the specs of the bios that have to be connected.
    Sometimes the writing on the chips cant be seen since it is so faint but sometimes a photo helps to see the text.

sHiZmN says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  12. sHiZmN New Member

Thanks Received:
    The chip marked left side of the pic i could read - the Chip is named APL5920.

But i could not read whats written on the right side chip, its too blurred.

Maybe someone here who has a HD 6850 could try to read whats written on that right side marked chip ? That would be great.

13. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    Have you already tried to photograph it from close to be able to see the text?
    The APL5920 is no Bios http://www.datasheetdir.com/APL5920+LDO-Regulators.

10 Year Member at TPU