• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD 6950/70 Fanspeed driver problems

maDDin

Hi Guys,

i've some issues with the fanspeed of my Sapphire HD6950 (flashed to 6970).

This worked great (thank you ;) ). But through that, my card comes hotter and hotter, so i used CCC to set my fanspeed to ~67% wenn i play games (and this is what i want to be done automatic).

Today i changed the BIOS default values of the Fanspeed with RBE. This workes also great, untill Windows is starting and the driver is loading... after this point, the fan slows down and is running @ 20-32% @ 35°-90°C (untill PC freezes)...

So my question is now, if you know this issue in the driver, or how i can disable the driver controlled fanspeed so that the fan will be controlled by the settings in the BIOS.

RBE Fansettings

conclusion:
-HD6950 -> 6970
-CCC AMD Overdrive unlocked (but disabled)
-CCC 12.2 / 12.3
-no 3rd party sw
-BIOS fansetting flash successful, but only works before driver is loaded

also i don't find any post, how to lock the amd overdrive again, deleted all registry keys but no success.

Thank you for your time and help !!

Regards,
maDDin

Last edited:

maDDin

i tried this tool, but it tells me:

"Error: Couldn't find Registry Key.
Are you sure you was using AMD Overdrive?"

I tried this tool, before i deleted manually the registrykeys.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Ah, well, it works fine for me, but i did not touch the registry. Perhaps try un-installing the driver, then re-installing, and perhaps this will fix the registry keys.

maDDin

i also reinstalled the driver.. no change...

i searched the registry for the pahts @ page2 of the tool,

but i cant find anything..

thats really strange..

also its (for me) not logic that the display driver controlls the fanspeed and not the card on it's own..

when i uninstalled the driver, my card was running @ 50%/50°C then, 45%/45°C as i configured it..

i just wanted to give it a shot, cause i'll get my new cooler tomorrow :)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yeah, i hear your frustration, for sure, as I've experienced the same myself. The fanspeed is controlled by driver as the entire power management is managed by the driver. I discovered that certain BIOSes allow more editting via RBE than others, too, for example, my refrence Sapphrie card, i cannot adjust voltage in BIOS using the default BIOS, but if I use the reference XFX 6950 BIOS, voltage adjustments work perfectly.

6950 has 3 temp sensors. only one of them is used to set fanspeed. The other two temps, on both my cards, are near 10 C higher, so when I say my cards run @ 90C+, what's really going on is it's reported as 90 C or a bit over, but the other sensors are 100C or more.

I game for hours at a time with those temps, and haven't noticed any issues at all.

If you are using an aftermarket cooler, usually these allow you to plug the fans in via molex, or using a header on the motherboard, so you may have better luck setting fanspeeds that way. Most aftermarket coolers are much quieter than the stock cooler, even under full fanspeed.