1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD 7970 and 120Hz problems

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Live OR Die, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Like most have said it maybe the drivers who knows im not going to RMA a card which im unsure what the problem is, and i've never had a problem with nvidia hardware and i know there card handle 120hz fine.

2. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    It's not the drivers, it's the hardware. Trust me on that.

3. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    How can it be hardware when other people have the same problem also my friends card does to.

4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    How did XFX RMA 9 5870's for me? Yes, Nine cards, all in a year. They could have, at any point, denied my RMAs. Sometimes stuff doesn't work as intended, for whatever reason. After buying not one but two 5870's for Eyefinity @ $500 a peice, to then find out at first, Eyefinity and Crossfire were only gonna work on the 5970(and I had the monitors long before the cards due ot Eyefinity hype), to them adding support, after nearly 6 months of people running normal Eyefinity, and having a cursor go 50x its normal size every time the clocks changed, I'll beleive near anything is possible when it comes to hardware not working right.

It might just be hardware incompatibilites, requiring firmware updates to either the card, or even maybe the monitor.

But at the same time, there still isn't a whql driver for the 7-series cards yet, is there?

I cannot say comfortably that it is hardware, but why the heck is is taking so long for a whql driver? Is it merely 120 Hz support? Could be...I guess time will tell.

all that whql certification is suppoed to provide is that the driver won't crash the OS, if I remember correctly. We are near 60 days after teh retail launch, and near 75 after the review launch...it could be hardware.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Yer it could of been a bad batch of cards but the funny thing is they work fine @ 60hz not a single problem also the problem seem to be a low memory speeds, Also a few times when my system come out of sleep my dock and a few programs will be messed up take the dock the UI disappears and only the icons are left this is when i leave my system on over night i think the card goes to sleep and kills my downloads lol.