• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD 7970: Bulldozer vs. Sandy Bridge vs. Nehalem

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
This will never end...... when ivy comes and renders everything else irrellevant the wait a few more years till software catches up arguement will continue...... If looked at from the right angle.... Even the most crookedest(not sure if thats a word) line looks straight.

Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @ 4.3Ghz, CPU NB 2.8Ghz, Vcore 1.44v
Motherboard Asus M5A97 Pro
Cooling CM Hyper 412S
Memory G-Skull 8GB, 8-8-8-T1
Video Card(s) ATI 6870
Storage WD-500BG SATA-III
Display(s) LG-IPS226 22"
Case CM HAF 912+, 2x 200mm 1x 120mm
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply XFX-750w
Software Win 7 x64 / Ubuntu
Who cares as long as you get the best! AMD has only AMD to blame! If they want to do better then they better step it up! :cry:

If you don't care about CPU's costing 2, 3, 4 times as much your an idiot.

Oh, and inovation will also stop.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
If you don't care about CPU's costing 2, 3, 4 times as much you an idiot.

Oh, and innovation will also stop.

Are you high? Just how do you think this is going to happen? Man AMD is still a head to head contender! They may not be out right on top but still contenders none the less. Put the pipe down and step away from the bong! Innovation will stop? Are you smoking pot?

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
not an AM2+ like mine, not to say my 940 doesn't handle Crysis 2 fairly well at full graphics with a 6870.
It won't do well at high settings with your setup. I used to have the 940 @ 3.60GHz with the HD 6970 and could not go high PQ regardless. This was for games such as Metro 2033 and the Crysis series.

Now that I have a FX 8120 @ 4.40GHz, I can set the PQ to high (playable frame rates), but not super Max. Anybody claiming otherwise is full of shit. :D

Cooling CM Hyper 412S
Video Card(s) ATI 6870
Display(s) LG-IPS226 22"
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply XFX-750w
Are you high? Just how do you think this is going to happen? Man AMD is still a head to head contender! They may not be out right on top but still contenders none the less. Put the pipe down and step away from the bong! Innovation will stop? Are you smoking pot?

I'm talking if Intel kill AMD, no competition prices go up, investment and innovation stops..... its not hard to understand.

Every review site shows / portrays AMD's as junk. it will kill AMD if things don't improve, AMD have already suggested they are pulling out of competing with Intel in x86 and concentrate on mobile, If PD does not pick it up they will pull out, that will free Intel of competition, that's not good. it may even kill the enthusiast market all together, unless your rich.

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
I'm talking if Intel kill AMD, no competition prices go up, investment and innovation stops..... its not hard to understand.

Every review site shows / portrays AMD's as junk. it will kill AMD if things don't improve.

Man you are high! :wtf: AMD will never be killed off by Intel! BD is NOT THAT FAR BEHIND AT ALL!! Look at what you are saying. Every review site shows or portrays AMD as JUNK? Really that is what you got from this review? Is that AMD is JUNK? Man please do us all a favor and post when you are sober not high!

Yes Intel is the crown champ but NOT BY MUCH AT ALL! Not in the way that will kill AMD or prevent more innovation or price hikes! You are see this as black and white. It is not that cut and dry my friend. AMD has the lead in cores it has the lead when it comes to APU'S! So there is no validation in what you are saying. AMD is still a very hard contender and Intel will never put them down.

Cooling CM Hyper 412S
Video Card(s) ATI 6870
Display(s) LG-IPS226 22"
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply XFX-750w
Man you are high! :wtf: AMD will never be killed off by Intel! BD is NOT THAT FAR BEHIND AT ALL!! Look at what you are saying. Every review site shows or portrays AMD as JUNK? Really that is what you got from this review? Is that AMD is JUNK? Man please do us all a favor and post when you are sober not high!

Yes Intel is the crown champ but NOT BY MUCH AT ALL! Not in the way that will kill AMD or prevent more innovation or price hikes! You are see this as black and white. It is not that cut and dry my friend. AMD has the lead in cores it has the lead when it comes to APU'S! So there is no validation in what you are saying. AMD is still a very hard contender and Intel will never put them down.

Show me a single game review where the FX-8150 can match a 2600K let alone a 2500K which is cheaper, most reviews show the FX to be way behind even the 2500K, Intel already own 86% of market share, AMD have about 15% and that's falling to Intel, AMD are loosing money by the truck load because of there x86 CPU's and the investment they have tied up there.

AMD have said they are done competing with Intel and are looking to pull out of the enthusiasts market.

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
AMD have said they are done competing with Intel and are looking to pull out of the enthusiasts market.

This is not technicdally accurate. They said they were done competing at the high end, and were going to focus on things like APU's and Mid-Range\Entry Level products. They will still compete with Intel there, but they won't be constantly trying to take the performance crown. To be honest, I think it was just a mind game on AMD's part to say that, I think they just wanted everyone to lower their expectations so if they do release a highly competative product people are blown away.

As for your claim to no competition, you are very wrong. If Intel kills AMD, they would be disassembled by Anti-Trust Watchdogs almost instantly. If that weren' the case, they would be forced to compete with themselves, a foe much scarier than AMD lol. If AMD were not around, and Intel never innovated, why would people buy new computers? Or upgrade to new hardware? Guess what would happen if people stopped buying new computer parts because they never needed to upgrade and upgrading resulted in no benefit and was far too costly, Intel would be dead in a few years.

People need to remember that if Intel wants people to keep buying their products, they have to keep making them better. AMD's CPU's aren't the only thing driving Intel to be competative.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
This is not technicdally accurate. They said they were done competing at the high end, and were going to focus on things like APU's and Mid-Range\Entry Level products. They will still compete with Intel there, but they won't be constantly trying to take the performance crown. To be honest, I think it was just a mind game on AMD's part to say that, I think they just wanted everyone to lower their expectations so if they do release a highly competative product people are blown away.

As for your claim to no competition, you are very wrong. If Intel kills AMD, they would be disassembled by Anti-Trust Watchdogs almost instantly. If that weren' the case, they would be forced to compete with themselves, a foe much scarier than AMD lol. If AMD were not around, and Intel never innovated, why would people buy new computers? Or upgrade to new hardware? Guess what would happen if people stopped buying new computer parts because they never needed to upgrade and upgrading resulted in no benefit and was far too costly, Intel would be dead in a few years.

People need to remember that if Intel wants people to keep buying their products, they have to keep making them better. AMD's CPU's aren't the only thing driving Intel to be competative.
Well said my friend! Well said! This is one thing AMD fanboys keep FAILING to see.

Cooling CM Hyper 412S
Video Card(s) ATI 6870
Display(s) LG-IPS226 22"
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply XFX-750w
How is Intel competing with themselves going to be any sort of problem?

APU's are aimed mainly at the mobile / low end desktop market, that is where they will move to. anything the likes of you and me want would be provided only by Intel, they can set prices to whatever they want, high profit, less- labour, FAB, production, investment costs.

You don't seriously believe that with AMD not competing at this level prices will stay unchanged do you? and what reason would they have to work on new stuff other then boosting the performance or efficiency every so often to keep pepople upgrading.

Competition is good.... that's all.

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Competition is good.... that's all.

Do you think for one second Intel doesn't know this? Just what is it about Intel that makes you think this is going to happen any way? Remember back in the Athlon days when AMD was #1? How they priced there shit so high you needed a grand or more for there coveted FX and FX Black CPU's ? When AMD was on top Intel still thrived with the P4 crap! P4 is what Bulldozer is now. AMD is going to be on top again it will take some time but never fear there is going to be a time soon that AMD pulls the big guns out.
I remember a time when AMD called out Intel, Yes they challenged Intel to a CPU face off, Now look at what they got! They got SMACKED DOWN! Bitch slapped like a 2 dollar whore! And what is supper funny is the DOOM and gloom the AMD fanboys are preaching! No it is far from over pall.
Core wars begun have they.

Cooling CM Hyper 412S
Video Card(s) ATI 6870
Display(s) LG-IPS226 22"
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply XFX-750w
Your making assumptions, AMD would do the same if Intel was out of the picture i know that, competition is good....

And you might be right, AMD may well have something up there sleeves that drops a vast boom right at the heart of Intel, they have done it before as you eluded to, but while such a possibility exists, to me that is very unlikely.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
i cant beleive the amount of hate just beacause BD is a small amount behind intel. this isnt like the old days where there was massive differences (netburst vs A64), most people wont even notice - especially not on a single GPU setup.

i wish you fanboys could just grow up. you dont need to pick a side and fight everyone who picked the other side, just buy whichever one suits you, and shut the hell up about it -.-

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
i cant beleive the amount of hate just beacause BD is a small amount behind intel. this isnt like the old days where there was massive differences (netburst vs A64), most people wont even notice - especially not on a single GPU setup.

i wish you fanboys could just grow up. you dont need to pick a side and fight everyone who picked the other side, just buy whichever one suits you, and shut the hell up about it -.-

I agree. I like them both really. I just wished I could afford an AMD setup right now. Put this old tired Q9650 to rest.

Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 10
Your making assumptions, AMD would do the same if Intel was out of the picture i know that, competition is good....

This is the kind of thinking that leads to duopolies where the consumer always loses. Look at ISP's in the United States, sure, nobody really has a monopoly, but they have unofficial agreements about pricing and availability that basically means you are stuck with 1 ISP if you want decent high-speed internet, and they usually charge a fortune for any service they offer.

You said APU's are targetted towards mobile\low-end? AMD's strategy is to make it so APU's are acceptable to everyone except enthusiasts. Trinity looks like a real game changer in the laptop market, and that is the kind of stuff that is going to keep AMD in the running. Bulldozer is good at 8 cores, but when you go down to 6 or 4 it just becomes awful compared to even last generation offerings.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...

Every review site shows / portrays AMD's as junk. it will kill AMD if things don't improve, AMD have already suggested they are pulling out of competing with Intel in x86 and concentrate on mobile, If PD does not pick it up they will pull out, that will free Intel of competition, that's not good. it may even kill the enthusiast market all together, unless your rich.
I believe xenocide summed it up quite nice. In regards to Review Sites portraying AMD as junk, I don't think so, that is going way overboard IMO. A lot of them are in shock because of Bulldozers super hype.

AMD telling the media that they are no longer going to compete with Intel in the high end is nonesense. You can easily refrase this as AMD won't be chasing Intel in the high end, there's no way AMD can take Intel on head on anymore at this time. Intel's R&D is massive.

What I believe AMD is saying in code is we are no longer going to chase Intel in the high end. It does not say AMD is going to stop making high end Desktop CPU's. They will continue to supply to meet demand. Nothing wrong with mid range, because the majority of gamers don't buy high end anyway. And this is where AMD caters too.

Is the FX 8120 and FX 8150 AMD's high end Desktop CPU's? Yup, which is why I bought one :D

Cooling CM Hyper 412S
Video Card(s) ATI 6870
Display(s) LG-IPS226 22"
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply XFX-750w
The trouble is there isn't enough demand and its falling, the only reason AMD have not gone under already is because unlike there CPU's there GPU's are very good, they are fast, efficient, powerful (everything FX are not) people like them and they are selling very well.

Shocked? yes....

I was looking forward to FX, I have a 6 core Phenom II and i love it, it runs nicely at 4.3Ghz on an inexpensive cooler, it can handle any game pretty well, in multithreading the thing is for its money untouchable, it shrugs off just about anything you can throw at it, no it doesn't bench as high in single threaded x86 as a SB i5, but its never far behind and it can easily be excused considering how old it is, so old people have been yearning for something new for years.

Then finally.... it came! They finally dumped the ancient K8 design, not unreasonable to expect the core for core performance to have been brought up that little bit to match the 2500K, and 8 of them..... WOW......yeah what an anticlimax, it can't even match my Phenom II in any aspect.

For me to upgrade is a step? no fall and break my leg.... down, so the wait continues.

Last edited:
System Name Cruncher
Processor AMD FX-8370
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E
Memory 2x4 GB Corsair XMS3 2000
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7870+Powercolor HD7850 CrossFire
Storage Corsair ForceGT 90 SSD,WD Black 500
Display(s) Acer 24'' 2ms
Case Cooler Master HAF 932
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake Grand 1050w 80+Gold
Software Win 7 SP1 Ult x64
Cooling CM Hyper 412S
Video Card(s) ATI 6870
Display(s) LG-IPS226 22"
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply XFX-750w
System Name Cruncher
Processor AMD FX-8370
Display(s) Acer 24'' 2ms
Audio Device(s) onboard
Great, fantastic... there's 3 wins for FX. lets have more of that, thanks

You asked for at least one review, I did. With regard to competition, you're somewhat right. If there is no competition in high-end - prices will not fall.

Cooling CM Hyper 412S
Video Card(s) ATI 6870
Display(s) LG-IPS226 22"
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply XFX-750w
Yeah, I'm just getting greedy now :laugh: thanks for that.

System Name Cruncher
Processor AMD FX-8370
Display(s) Acer 24'' 2ms
Audio Device(s) onboard
System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
ALL HAIL NEHALEM. :respect:

Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 10
That review was the only one from the FX-8150 launch that showed the FX Setup winning, I remember seeing it cited dozens of times. Something is telling about the fact that there are dozens of reviews that show SB setups winning and only a couple where FX is even on par... just saying...