• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD Radeon Mobility 5650's driver causes artifacts when the screen is stretched

Hello, I am new here. I own a Dell Inspiron n5010 laptop that is equipped with Radeon Mobility hd 5650 video card. The problem is as following: ALL the games that do not support the native desktop resolution (I mean old games like Diablo, Lionheart, GTA2 etc.) have the same problem; as the aspect ratio is like 4:3, they have to stretch to fit the display. In all these games that need to stretch there is some kind of image artifact in the left side of the screen that looks like a stripe (3 mm wide) that goes all the way from the top to the bottom of the left side of the display. The surface of this stripe looks like in the JPG that I attached (you can see that the same thing happens with the desktop when set to 640x480 and has to stretch - and that weird texture is shaking and distorts the image all the way across the left small edge of the display but it is harder to notice because of the blue color). To make this problem go away, I have two choices: to let the windows install the basic video driver which is very old, or to install ANY other video driver (up to 13.1 for BOTH Windows Vista and Windows 8) and to chose the option to preserve aspect ratio in CCC. So, I hope I made myself clear in a way. BTW, English is not my native language. So, does my problem sound familiar to anyone?

The oldest driver, the one from dell's site, however, corrects this problem but that is a little old. I tried to mess with some options in CCC but to no avail. Please someone who could help me!

Attachments

• Artifact.JPG
    Artifact.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 579
Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
The oldest driver, the one from dell's site, however, corrects this problem but that is a little old.

Doesn't really matter how old it is, it works. Use that driver. The newest drivers from AMD are geared more towards their newer GPU's so it is best to use what works.

Doesn't really matter how old it is, it works. Use that driver. The newest drivers from AMD are geared more towards their newer GPU's so it is best to use what works.

That doesn't work with Windows 8 and that is a big issue - I forgot to mention this. Anyway, the drivers shouldn't behave that way. I want new drivers with improvements and all. This laptop is pretty strong and can handle well a lot of new games and through the new drivers it would be able to perform even better.