• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD4770 and fan speed

Hiva

Hello,
I take my HD4770 bios with gpu-z, ok,
I modified only fan speed to be quiter in idle with RBE 1.22.
Loaded new firmware with dos/atiflash, ok.
Fan speed follow the programmed line (linear transfer function).

But sometimes in 2D (Win 7 desktop), and almost always when running in 3D, the fan goed istantly to a fixed 56% (it's identical to the "spinup cycle %" value) then I listen fast speed-change from 56% to lower % and again to 56% and the fan usually stay locked in this "uncontrolled" status, rarely it returns in normal operation.
Loading original firmware all returns ok (fan speed is always proportional to the temperature)

Windows 7, ati drivers 9.12, fan speed / temp monitored with CCC

What can I do ? Thanks.

PS:
with original firmware the relation between "temp"/"fan speed" monitored with CCC is different from the transfer function seen in RBE.

1BadMoJoe

System Name MoonShot
Processor Intel I7 DO/920
Motherboard ASUS Rampage II (GENE) v2.xx
Cooling Intel...Yeha Baby Its Whats Inside
Memory OCZ3X1600LV2G
Video Card(s) XfX 4870x2 807/991
Storage Paper and Pencils
Display(s) CRT Fast and High refresh rates
Case Cooler Master
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-FI custom Morels
Power Supply Corsair TX-750
Software Windows7 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/community/submission/952881_1badmojoe_superpi_core_i7_920_8sec_870ms
Hello, i to changed my fan settings...several times using RBE, I'm very pleased that I finally can get my fan settings fixed. But unlike your situation of wanting a quieter fan I had the problem of the card VRU defaulting resets due to high memory temps. In my situation on the fan controller on a 4870x2 looking at RBE...Fan tab, I only had 2 points adjustable because of an ATD7473 Analog Devices fan controller. I to have Win7 9.12 drivers.

The strange thing is, the ATI origin bios should be fine for quietness as your duty cycle may have been set at 26%??? Please post the original fan settings and the settings you modified also list which manufacture of HD4770.

I take it you already successfully flashed new settings and re-flashed again to your saved origin bios. It appears you have the hang of how to do it. Just getting to settings you want flashed needs worked. You mentioned it was at 56% duty and cycling in some sort if you know what your temp was you can use that to cross reference the temp to the graph in RBE to see what affect moving the sliders around has done and think about the next placement of the slope because your current temp reflects on the slope in relation to duty cycle output to fan. You can make an adjustment like moving everything to the left as far as possible and have a setting that causes 100% duty cycle even-though the temp is 50'C.

I would suggest using MSI Afterburner software first using that fan setting controller so you can make the changes in real time without rebooting and adjust the sliders there play some games/benchmarking till you find your fan setting that works for you. Then go back into RBE and set a fan slope as close as your fan slope setting in MSI then re-flash the bios.

Hiva

I have an XFX 4770

below original (left original.png) fan setting, and the modified one (right modified.png).
I just changed the Tmin value and saved the bios with a new name, nothing else ...
What can be wrong ?
With the new bios loaded (with the modified Tmin) the fan became sometimes "crazy" and istantly goes to 56% even without temperature changes in the core.

It happended also when monitoring temp / fan speed with ccc. No 3d app running ! Temperature was below 43°.

It seems something broke in the internal fan speed management ...

NOTE (again): I have now original bios, and in this moment I have 39° and fan at 39%.
It's not that right value if compared with the transfer function of the original bios ! :confused:
I should have 48% to 50% with 39°. Is this normal this difference ? Or may be some BIOS data are not managed by RBE ?

With the modified bios, instead, the relation between temp and fan speed is perfect (however only when the fan don't goes to 56 % !!!) :confused:

Thanks.

Attachments

• original.png
    original.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 880
  • modified.png
    modified.png
    98.2 KB · Views: 825

1BadMoJoe

System Name MoonShot
Memory OCZ3X1600LV2G
Case Cooler Master
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/community/submission/952881_1badmojoe_superpi_core_i7_920_8sec_870ms
Hello, I would say that the temperature observed in the CCC dial is a different sensor than the one that controls fan input function. I also noticed this same behavior, as there are separate temperature sensors ?diodes? for GPU, gpu display i/o, shader i/o and in my case the one that is the hottest memory. http://downloads.guru3d.com/RivaTuner-v2.24c-download-163.html I had to use a program called riva tuner -monitor function, which I only used for the graphical display that pointed out different sensors with different temperatures. What you are observing is "normal", although I would argue the fact of what sensor is used to input the fan function programed by ATI or any card manufacturer.
It should noted you have to observed this and this is why something doesn't look right as you look at the CCC dial. Different parts of the video card generate heat disportionatly to other parts of the card. The temperature sensor appears for the fan function appears to be on a part of the board that generate more heat than the sensor that display in CCC.http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm Also try the video manufacturer MSI and use the Afterburner software fan adjustment to make the changes on the fly to tune and dial in a fan slope so re-flashing the bios can be keep to a minimum.

[Edit:] Alexey Nicolaychuk has, in part at the least, deveopded the above two link programs. Riva tuner for the most part > monitor function, allows a large comprehensive list of componits that have tempurature status for display. Msi Afterburner is trimed down with a slick upgraded GUI user friendly interface and funtions are well rounded and comprehensive.

Last edited:

Hiva

I tried msi afterburner and I forced user defined fan management, and I set the same graph of the modified bios.
No problems at all ...
Fan runs fine, proportional to the temperature. Never seen istantaneous speed change or "uncontrolled" speed working ...
But If I use this fan setting in the bios, and I flash it, I have these frequent istantaneous (and uncontrolled) speed change to 56%.
I'm sure it's not related to temperature of some other components because it's real istantaneous the speed change (temperature don't change istantly) ! And even if there is no 3d load.
This uncontrolled status continues also when no app is running and temperature at minimum for minutes !
I think there is something in the bios not managed correctly by rbe (at least in the fan management of this specific card ...).

1BadMoJoe

System Name MoonShot
Memory OCZ3X1600LV2G
Case Cooler Master
Ok I see in your above post #3 in your attached pictures the left one with the modified bios fan settings...the lower third of the picture left side.

The only thing refering to 56% is Spin Up Cycle(%) 56 .............. my two cents ........... Tmin50 Tmax86 (%)30 or use the set up below
(*) Use Look Up Table..................Therehold('C) 60 70 80 83 86 88 90 92
Notice:>the greyed out bug in the card...leave this checked on

Click on the blue area what do all the settings mean?

The only adjustment has been to Tmin>15 this may be conflicting with the information in the lower third of the screen

With the Tmin changed to 15 you chould have a more aggresive fan to tempurature ratio.

Last edited:

Hiva

If you read better my post 3, you see that the bios with modified settings is the right picture (modified.png) , not the left one (original.png).
In the mod bios Tmin is 49.
With original bios (Tmin=15) no problems.
With mod bios I have what is called "fan spinup" problem I think.
I think that with my original bios, with Tmin changed to 49 there are problems in the internal calculation of fan rpm (calculations will give negative numbers .... as I read in some posts).
May be I need to try LookUp table ....

1BadMoJoe

System Name MoonShot
Memory OCZ3X1600LV2G
Case Cooler Master
Yes you are right in how I was looking at the charts.

Have you tried useing the look up table with any success?

Mentioning that you perfer your modified graph, in post 3 right side, it appears the settings in the lookup table appear in relationship graph as follows. The last three (83,86,89) add extra cooling capacity to enshure memory do not get over heated, memory may lock at aprox 95'C as per si JEDECC above extended use standards. It is important if using temprature monitoring software to take note of memory temps during testing when lockups occur, as instalbility occurs with DDR5 memory about 95'C. I have no access to other DDR memory types as I only been focused upon DDR5.

50 60 70 75 80 83 86 89
30 47 61 67 77 83 92 100
If the above setting indicate an overly aggresive fan to noise levels the settings below may also help.

60 70 80 83 86 88 90 92
30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100

Hiva

Hello,
I changed to use lookup table, in this mode fan is silent (like original card bios does) !
However the linear ramp would be better ... now when the temp is between a step and the next (upper or lower) it makes fast changes of speed, and is not fantastic ...
However I'm happy with the card
Bye