1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDD problem help!!!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by quasar923, Dec 31, 2007.

1. quasar923 Guest

ok so i just got my computer working where there was another problem and i had to reinstall windows. i did that and it worked but things were a little off like popus would come up saying that a file was not found. so i was again playing cod4 on low settings and it freezes AGAIN!!! so i restart then the same thing happens as last time. now i try to make a partion when i reinstall windows. i do but when i go to install it, it says that it cannot install bc of a disk error so i delete the partion and try it with the whole hdd and the same thing happens. i try to repair it but i do no know anything about comand promt ecept to try help and it will give you a list of commands. do you think it is my hdd i just recently bought it off of a fellow TPU user a few weeks ago. he said he ran some things and it looked fine and it looked fine to me also for the first few weeks.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. quasar923 Guest

anyone know? should i contact the guy who i bought the hdd from?

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. tzitzibp

tzitzibp

Thanks Received:
    seem to me the windows installation was not clean...Did you format the disk before the install, or did you install over old windows folder?

If you think there is hdd problem try dos command "scandisk" first...:cool:

4. quasar923 Guest

i just reinstalled over the old windows. right now im on a diff hdd my old 20 gig ide drive and i have the other pluged in and all as a slave and this one as a master but the hdd that wont load windows doesnt show up as drive D or anything in my computer. how do i format the disk? when windows has me install it, it tells me to choose between fat32 and ntfs and i choose ntfs. however there are 2 options for both ntfs and ntfs quick and fat32 and fat32 quick. i did the ntfs quick to start which i always do when i reinstall and then i tried the normal ntfs which took longer but same result asked if the hdd was installed properly and if it was pluged in and all.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. quasar923 Guest

i just tried scan disk and everything in comand promt and nothing worked. chkdsk said there was an unfixable or somthing error. scandisk said to do check disk and i did and thats what happend. so it says there is a problem. corrupted file or somthing i thiink it said. what should i do?

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:

You have the options when you boot up of the XP CD to do a full format. A quick format will not check the HDD for errors on the disk. All so i tryed fat32 with XP and find it more prone to errors than NTFS.

EDIT: There is a command hopfully some one will post it so when you reboot it does a chkdisk on next boot. i just put a pagefile on the disk and that makes it do the scan on next reboot.

7. quasar923 Guest

well i cant even boot into my computer it just boots from the cd bc i had deleted the windows OS and now i wanna reinstall it. should i just get a new hdd?

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    So you plugged in another HDD and it don't show ?. If so check your BIOS if it's there if not you might want to check connecters for your HDD and the jumpers.

IF you have 2 drives on one IDE cable you will have to make sure you have those set correctly. You might want to try one drive at a time in case one is stoping the other from working. So goes if a CD\DVD drive is on a IDE cable with a HDD too.

9. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    A lot of times, you have to make sure that Bios knows that there is another drive. Some Bios doesn't see new HDD's unless they are made to look for it..

10. quasar923 Guest

my cd drive is on a diff cable than the hdd i will try to look for them both in the bios and i do think i set the jumpers properly but i will double check. thanks for the tip

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. quasar923 Guest

ok i went into bios and the hdd shows up when it by itslef is in and when they both are in. but it wont show up when i go into "my computer"

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. quasar923 Guest

anyone know what to do? i think im ganna build a whole new comp at the end of the summer. hopefully there will be some new good parts and stuff. ill prolly spend around $1000. i have my case and screen so i will need to get everything else. i just wanna be able to play my cod4 and crysis now i dont wanna have to wait till the summer that would suck.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Ok the one thats not showing might just need a format from the XP CD. Should show up as unformated. IF it's not showing up at all it could of died. You could try the one drive that you think has died on it's own and boot up of the windows CD and see if it shows at all..

EDIT: as for your last post you be better of making a new topic for it you will get a much better response then

14. quasar923 Guest

i tried formating it but it wont because it says there is an error and to check for errors and if it is installed correctly. and it is in correctly so i can only see that there is an error.

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    :( i hope it's the 20gig hdd you have and not the other.

16. quasar923 Guest

no the 250 gig that i was using is the messed up one. the 20 gig is my external hdd and my back up which i am using now. piss me off

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    is it the WD 250GIG KS version ?. The YS version has a BIOS update but it's for RAID ( http://support.wdc.com/download/?cxml=n&pid=15&swid=57 )

18. quasar923 Guest

no its the JD version

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. quasar923 Guest

it is kinda old too made on oct 7th 2004

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well the HDD should have a 3 year. If you had it of a TPU guy you should get in touch with them see if they will help you get a replacment..

Is it a OEM version ?

21. quasar923 Guest

yes i pmed him today. but it just went over its 3 year in october now soon to be january thats like 3 months over.

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. quasar923 Guest

well my other hdd was made in 2006 but i fried it. do you think it would still be returnable for a new one. i have no info on it as my freind built the comp for me and im guessing he threw away all the papers bc he no longer deals with computers. it is also a WD. it is a cavier se i beleive

10 Year Member at TPU
  23. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Dayum. Thats a lot of HDD space to lose too :(.

24. quasar923 Guest

yea it sucks

10 Year Member at TPU
  25. joinmeindeath417

joinmeindeath417 New Member

Thanks Received:
    do me a favor if you want send it back to me and i will check it out if i can i will replace it with a 200gb hard drive because thats all i have..i will honor the purchase you made because when i last checked it passed all test.

so just PM me again to get my address and such

10 Year Member at TPU