• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDD problem

Long story short, my sister asked me to format her pc and I provided her my docking station with HDD to backup her files, I did the format and she wanted to copy the files back but she stood up from the chair and walked away grabbing with her foot the both usb and power cable which lead to HDD smashing/crashing against ceramic floor...

I am shocked that HDD still spins up, it pops up in My computer but when I drag a folder to copy it just disappears from windows all together, while hearing somewhat high sound from the HDD...At one point I was able to get to the folder once but they were empty and second time it asked me to format the drive

Would formatting help, then trying to recover the files? or the HDD is completely dead?

System Name Fractality 1.0
Processor Intel Core i7-860 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems and four Fractal Design 120mm fans, sleeved
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce 580 XLR8
Storage 64GB and 180GB SSDs / 1TB and 2TB HDDs
Display(s) 24" Acer V243W
Case Fractal Design Define R2, sleeved all I/O cables
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750W modular, sadly only stock sleeving
Software Win 7 64bit
If you are really really REALLY lucky, then yes, that might help. But I dare to guess that HDD took some serious damage. Its sensitive moving parts inside, the reader floats only micrometers (or nanometers even) above the actual discs, and if that writer touches the disc, it scratches them. YOu can imagine what a fall to ceramic floor can cause.

Yea, it was not simple "oops I dropped my HDD by accident on the floor"...It smashed at high speed against the floor ;p

I guess i have to break bad news to my sister, just suck to lose pictures from year 2006 and counting...

System Name Fractality 1.0
Processor Intel Core i7-860 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems and four Fractal Design 120mm fans, sleeved
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce 580 XLR8
Storage 64GB and 180GB SSDs / 1TB and 2TB HDDs
Display(s) 24" Acer V243W
Case Fractal Design Define R2, sleeved all I/O cables
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750W modular, sadly only stock sleeving
Software Win 7 64bit
Yea, it was not simple "oops I dropped my HDD by accident on the floor"...It smashed at high speed against the floor ;p

I guess i have to break bad news to my sister, just suck to lose pictures from year 2006 and counting...

Always double-backup. I have my files on three internal and one external HDD as well as on several USB sticks, cards and optical discs... I'm not gonna loose everything again.

Maybe you can bring the HDD to some specialized data rescue companies. They even manage to retrieve data out of burned down Harddiscs. If you don't want to lose your pictures and stuff.