• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDD quickly fragments

specks

System Name Spreadsheet powerhouse
Processor Two P4s glued together
Motherboard Asus P5KPL-AM EPU
Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper TX3
Memory 2gb (2x1gb) Kingston Value Ram DDR2 800mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4670 1gb GDDR3 w/ Arctic Cooling Accelero L7
Storage 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
Display(s) Philips 191EL 18.5"
Case Thermaltake V4 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 600W
Software WinXp
Hello everybody..

How come my HDD fragments soooo fast?

Its a new HDD used for just 3 months. Before installing the OS i did a full format and there were no bad sectors and the like. I also checked it with Spinrite and it has no problems at all. The only thing is it fragments to quickly. It is only (yet)30gb full. The first week it was fragmented like about 40% and defragmented it with UltimateDefrag 3. Then just a while ago i checked it and it was 50% fragmented:eek: My system has no viruses, spywares, malwares, etc. Why the hell is this happening?

EDIT: defragmenting it now with UD3

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
i use defraggler
i guess its about the data that you store in that, data that contains program or application sometimes faster got defragmented that picture and videos

Last edited:
System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
Your HDD will get fragmented from many things but most of them don't matter anyway. I doubt that there is any accurate measurement of defragmentation.

I have found that many defraggers do not work very well with the windows prefetch/ layout.ini system and tend to want to organise the drive contrary to what windows wants. This means that every time you turn on the rig, your defragger goes about defragging and then every 3rd time you shit down windows, it gets all put back to where it was originally. This goes on indefinitely until you notice that the shadow copy is full (i.e. all your system restores are gone). This is because system restore will monitore your defragger activity and run out of spece documenting all the changes.

IMO very unwise to run defraggers with system restore, unproductive to run them contrary to layout.ini (although I understand ultimate defragger has an option to follow layout.ini) and they wear out your HDD. Note however that I am referring to 3rd party defraggers on an OS drive.

There is a good side to defraggers. If you operate storage drives or save your games to non OS drives, programs like ultimate defragger will do an excellent job of maintaining good speed and order. The reange of layout options available is perfect for selecting the optimum file sequence.

You can't wear out a regular HDD. They don't have limited writes like SSD's do. I'm defragmenting them daily for years using sceduled task and they are/were all still working fine.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
The HDD is fragmenting due to:

1./ Your low RAM
2./ Windows using pagefile a lot
3./ Page file set as "dynamic" rather than fixed

My recommendations:
· Defrag the drive using www.defraggler.com
· Defrag using pagedefrag from sysinterlas
· Now set your pagefile to FIXED size 2GB: Right click my computer, properties, advanced, performance settings, advanced, virtual memory, change, custom size, initial 2000MB max 2000MB
· Next upgrade, get more RAM. Suggest picking up 2x 2GB sticks off ebay if you have a limited budget
· Consider setting up some partitions on your HDD