1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDMI/HDTV Help thread

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Mussels, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Uh, lets see, don't think I even installed the HDMI audio drivers from CCC last time so I'm going on memory of how it's been. Basically I can either get a similar scenario to what Mussels showed if using my TV (stereo only of course), or I can get my AVR to show in the audio panel as stereo only as well if I connect and boot in the right order (always hated HDMI hand shaking in that regard), then there's the fun little AMD HDMI Audio options of which there are like 6 instances in the audio panel, but always designated as unplugged.

Audio is still one of the most backwards things on the PC platform, from hit and miss sound card drivers and compatibility, to a lot of LPCM passthrough guesswork when shopping for a PC compatible AVR. Things like this, along with the trend of big publishers sabotaging graphics on PC versions of games to convince the console crowd to be loyal to their almighty cash cow has me hating PC gaming sometimes, but then sucking with gamepads leaves me no alternative really.

2. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie PC Gaming Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    @Mussels: Thanks for this guide! It makes me shudder at all the pitfalls I could have encountered with my HTPC. Thankfully I have had the easiest experience in the world with my setup...just plugged it in and was good to go. I've bookmarked this page though for the future.

3. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    Pixel format can be important too. We have a NOC where we run 12 large TV's off of some eyefinity 6 edition 7870's for they came default with a more TV friendly pixel format but the CCC allows an easy swap back to PC friendly easily across all screens.

Now my question what if say you had an AOC 21" HDTV you were using for netflix which looks fine when running netflix but looks like donkey dung on regular pc formats. With PC freindly pixel format selected already and proper aspect ratio and etc, what else could I try?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

it could be the media files, or your media player. those are the only two differences between netflix and local file playback.

10 Year Member at TPU