• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDR on PC messes up my screen sometimes

System Name Enslaver :)
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D14 with LED fans, Case: 2 front in - 1 rear out
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 4070Ti OC
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Display(s) LG CX OLED 65"
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh C Performance
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard ASUS Strix Tactic Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Hi!

Any HDR wizard here?

I have this problem:
When I turn on HDR in Windows 10 and sometimes it works sometime it doesnt work and gives me gray and white static all over the screen, so that i have to reconnect the HDMI cable.
I use the TV in my specs with the system there also.

Another problem with HDR is when my windows desktop is 4K HDR and i start fallout 76 in 1080p SDR it after a while sets the game to HDR too even though its not supported in that game.
That messes up the colors completely.
Pressing the windows key while in the game also sometimes causes lost signal or static all over the screen since the PC switches resolution and toggles HDR.

Tried like 4 different HDMI cables and 2 of them are even premium HDMI certified ones so i can almost rule out that my cables all struggle with bandwidth 18GBit/s.
Ordered a 8K cable in my dispair that should have better thru-put.

On Playstation 4 HDR works much better. One thing on PS4 is that after quitting the game the PS4 system menu is all the sudden also HDR but that looks fine to me colorwise.

Today i tried to make the gpu do the scalling and not the monitor (TV) so that even though the game is 1080p its upscalled to desktop resolution 4k. had no HDR switch on while gaming but when i quit the game there was one

Last edited:
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Mouse Logitech G700
up it goes!

Mouse Logitech G700
i cancelled the 8k cable order since i bet the cable wont use the extra bandwidth if gpu and tv only are hdmi 2.0b

Mouse Logitech G700
Ok I deactivated HDR on windows altogher to prevent the problems, but ran into the same problem when running games full screen and then minimizing to desktop:
Quite often i get static all over the screen and have to restart my TV to get the picture back or reconnect the hdmi cable.
Solution was to run the game in the same as desktop resolution but windowed. This was I can switch to windows desktop without problems.

BarterClub

Well, this is exactly the same issue I'm having. I would like to have HDR on the monitor that has it and off for the other. But when I play a video on the SDR monitor in full screen it then turns into static. I feel this is a windows issue more than a driver issue.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Global Windows HDR will “break” when something SDR is rendered(easy example is the OSD display when you adjust your volume) something else you need to do if you have HDR enabled is increase the SDR brightness(it’s in the same place as the HDR switch. Now for me “breaks” means the gamma/brightness “blows out“ i”ve never experienced the corruption you’re describing just “colour blowout” I’m also connected via DP not HDMI whether that makes any difference I can’t say but i can only do 100hz on HDMI vs 144 on DP
The other issue is that the current HDR standards are pretty “loose” right now so my HDR may be different than yours in implementation.