1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Head-Direct HiFiMAN HE-5LE Orthodynamic Headphones

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Frederik S, May 20, 2010.

1. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2010
    Ra97oR and Mescalamba say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    another great review, frederik. imo, $699 is not a bad price for headphone of those caliber.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. caleb

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the review. Will read tommorow at work.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. MK4512

MK4512 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have no idea how a pair of headphones can way outprice my 5.1 surround sound system...

Good review though!

5. Mescalamba

Thanks Received:
    Cause you have average 5.1 system and these are higher-end (not high-end) headphones. From sound quality point of view, these can outperform most of 5.1 systems. But headphones vs standart speakers are bit uncomparable.

Yea and these are just "cheap" higher-end headphones.. Real "stuff" starts around 1k USD.

6. Mescalamba

Thanks Received:
    Frederik S

You are brave to post review and especially brave to write about headphone cables. :) Thanks for review, very nice. Very special and nice headphones.

7. Ra97oR

Ra97oR

Thanks Received:
    Just wondering if the drivers are angled or not (pad or mount or both), its a interesting phone I want to look at really. I just do hate all though bass heavy phones already.

8. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    put on a pair and you will have an idea!

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Taskforce Guest

Hell no, its not even as reputable as other headphone companies to justify the price tag especially since they had driver problems with the previous model, i bet some Senn HD650 sound better.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    THIS IS WIN.

11. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    As far as I can see the drivers are not angled in any way.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    Actually the HE-5s had a very low failure rate. Only three production samples where RMAed because of driver issues. The wood was the real problem with the HE-5s, and Head-Direct admits this. Quality control was not sufficient because they relied on a subcontractor to do the wood work and select wood. And the wood (handling, quality control, or selection) was not good enough.

And no to the second part. I have heard three sets of HD650s, two single ended, one balanced from a seriously sweet Woo audio amplifier and non of them came even close to sounding as good as the HE-5LEs out of an ordinary powerful amplifier. The HD650s I owned for a short while sounded good, but never really did anything out of the ordinary for me.

I do not know where you get your info from, but Head-Direct have a reasonably good track record, I think about the only massive failure from there part has been the Jade electrostat headphones which was a hobby project rushed to the market. The HE-5LEs (HE-5s) have been two years underway and I think the results speak for themselves.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Mescalamba

Thanks Received:
    HD 650 was small mistake from Sennheiser, they should sound like HD 800 and then they could be great. I had them, they are good, but they change sound too much to my liking. No way that they can be "reference" headphones as they are not accurate in any way.

Tough I love my HD 555, so nothing against Sennheiser.. and HD 800 are just perfect. Just bit pricey..