• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Head-Direct HiFiMAN HE-6 Headphones

Head-Direct's newest flagship headphones are put to the test. The headphones are dubbed the HE-6s and feature a gold plated driver, and a very special cable. They are priced at $1199, are they worth it ?

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Better than before
Processor 10400
Motherboard B460 Pro4
Cooling Id-Cooling 224
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) 1650 Super
Storage Swordfish 500 GB
Display(s) AOC G2
Case Coolermaster Ammo 533
Audio Device(s) Micca MB42X
Power Supply Pure Power 11
Mouse G403
Keyboard Sidewinder x4
Software Windows 10 (ugh)
Only $1,199? What a steal, I'll take two.

R_1

Is it possible to use diamonds in the next Head-Direct model? Diamonds are the hardest staff around.

System Name Desktop|| Virtual Host 0
Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V || Dell PowerEdge R710 (Intel 5520 chipset)
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100 || Stock hotplug fans and passive heatsinks
Memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 || 12x4gb Hynix DDR3 1066 FB-DIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 760 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB OC || Don't know, don't care
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2349S || remote iDRAC KVM console
Case Antec P280 || Dell PowerEdge R710
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
Power Supply SeaSonic X650 Gold || 2x870w hot-swappable
Mouse Logitech G500 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Keyboard Logitech G510 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 || VMware vSphere 6.0 with vCenter Server 6.0
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 on the scouter
Great review, I'd love to be able to afford headphones like this some day :laugh:
Is it possible to use diamonds in the next Head-Direct model? Diamonds are the hardest staff around.
Yes, diamonds are the hardest metal known to man :rolleyes:

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
This is pretty much an audiophile(idiot)'s dream.

The cost to manufacture a system like that is quite cheap and it's not bringing any new wild technology to the game here. The gold on it isn't worth anything, it's trace meaning there isn't even 1 gram of it in there <$100usd...

The balanced connection is a bit overkill, lets be real here these are high impedance and low wattage. Do you listen to headphones like this next to your microwave and electromagnet that's powered, maybe lay a bunch of cell phones around see what one lands on the right frequency.

I am can assure you the response graph on that would make a joke of the frequency range claims.

I'll never understand this market...

Maybe it's just the fact that they take it all the way...

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
If I could wear these for ten minutes it would make me happy.

This is pretty much an audiophile(idiot)'s dream.
The cost to manufacture a system like that is quite cheap and it's not bringing any new wild technology to the game here. The gold on it isn't worth anything, it's trace meaning there isn't even 1 gram of it in there <$100usd...
The balanced connection is a bit overkill, lets be real here these are high impedance and low wattage. Do you listen to headphones like this next to your microwave and electromagnet that's powered, maybe lay a bunch of cell phones around see what one lands on the right frequency.
I am can assure you the response graph on that would make a joke of the frequency range claims.
I'll never understand this market...
Maybe it's just the fact that they take it all the way...

Why do you assume that the production of planer magnetic drivers is cheap?

We are not saying that you should buy them for the gold on the drivers just that it makes sense in this application.

Default termination to balanced is quite all right considering that most modern high performance headphone amplifiers are fully balanced.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Mouse Logitech G502x
Why do you assume that the production of planer magnetic drivers is cheap?

We are not saying that you should buy them for the gold on the drivers just that it makes sense in this application.

Default termination to balanced is quite all right considering that most modern high performance headphone amplifiers are fully balanced.

Don't assume, I know those are cheap to manufacture as well.

My point was in general... The entire system including the balanced headphone amplifiers. It's a lot of cost for what I can guarantee you double blind testing would show useless in common use situations. These are not headphones used on stages by live bands, these are headphones in the market for the person who generally believes every bit of hype they read in marketing *snake oil* who will use them in their listening room which is probably properly sound absorbent with controlled reflections, let alone a lack of devices that could interfere with the headphones signals.

I mean it's cool to see they went all the way to the end every last touch but it's market is the snake oil market.

The point of balanced amplification and termination is not eliminate noise in this application. Balanced amplification effectively doubles the slew rate which should boost transient response performance.

The absolutely cheapest drivers to produce are moving coil designs due to its mechanical simplicity. But the majority of the cost lies in development like everything else.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
The point of balanced amplification and termination is not eliminate noise in this application. Balanced amplification effectively doubles the slew rate which should boost transient response performance.

The absolutely cheapest drivers to produce are moving coil designs due to its mechanical simplicity. But the majority of the cost lies in development like everything else.

This design doesn't really bring much new to the table....

Have we forgotten these are headphones... I'll bet their specified range is probably a good 15+/-db at least. Forget more accurate transients they are slewed all over the place anyways.

They are within +-5 dB in the audible range like most of the higher end headphones manufactured today. If you apply ear correction to the frequency response they are even closer neutral.

Frequency response has nothing to do with transient response, and you can find a multitude of headphones and speakers that perform well in one of these aspects and horribly in the other.

This design brings better performance to the table, like the majority of headphones they are an iteration upon an existing design. The only real new technology is the Sennheiser ring driver but even that is just a optimized moving coil design.

For those who are interested in how they measure up look: http://www.headphone.com/learning-c...raphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

The ER-4Ps are added because they perceived frequency response is very close to neutral.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
Think you could do some sort of comparative SQ review between say a HD595/598 and a similarly priced top wireless set like the RS 180? I've seen a good number of threads and anecdotal comments on the matter but no proper comparisons, and it seems there's a bit of a demand for such a comparison.

System Name ARiA
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz C16 DDR4 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2070 Super FE
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (1TB), 850 EVO SATA (500GB), WD Ultrastar (6TB)
Display(s) Asus VG279 144 Hz IPS
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Audio Device(s) Chord Hugo 2 to lots of headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime+ 850W Gold
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600
Software Windows 10 Pro
Not sure if Frederik S is going to do more main stream headphones reviews. But its just a shame that if someone reviews any good headphones here, it is going to get trolled to hell.

It has always been our goal to review all types of headphones. Over the summer there will be several reviews of more mainstream headphones.

Getting in touch with the right people is sometimes very tricky. To add to the issues some companies think they are too big, and that people will buy their products regardless of the availability of quality reviews.

System Name ARiA
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Software Windows 10 Pro
In my experience, where I have heard all current production hi-end headphones, save the Sony Z1000, Ultrasone ED10 and the new STAX. Other's impression can be very different to what you hear. Just for example, you will never find a whole brunch of people saying the HD800 is terrible on the internet without others bashing them saying they haven't got good gear or source to listen to it. But in the recent Head-Fi meet in London, I doubt there was over 30% there said they love it. And the T1 was getting far more praise than the HD800, which I totally agreed as I did hated the HD800 first listen when it came out. Most people tend to crowd toward the HE-6, HD800, T1, LCD-2, but I actually found my Audio-Technica pairing far more involving without losing out on clarity. Sound is a very personal thing, as much as I like your reviews and appreciate you doing it, listening to it first hand is still the best one can do.

In my experience, where I have heard all current production hi-end headphones, save the Sony Z1000, Ultrasone ED10 and the new STAX. Other's impression can be very different to what you hear. Just for example, you will never find a whole brunch of people saying the HD800 is terrible on the internet without others bashing them saying they haven't got good gear or source to listen to it. But in the recent Head-Fi meet in London, I doubt there was over 30% there said they love it. And the T1 was getting far more praise than the HD800, which I totally agreed as I did hated the HD800 first listen when it came out. Most people tend to crowd toward the HE-6, HD800, T1, LCD-2, but I actually found my Audio-Technica pairing far more involving without losing out on clarity. Sound is a very personal thing, as much as I like your reviews and appreciate you doing it, listening to it first hand is still the best one can do.

I totally agree. Listening is far better than just reading especially in the beginning where you only have a vague definition of what type of headphone you are after. Also with high-end stuff it has a lot to do with personal preference.

My personal favourite at the moment is the HD800s on a fully balanced setup, but I can definitely understand why many people prefer the warmer more bass intensive headphones like the HE-series headphones.

All we can really do is try and spot the defining characteristics and see how well the headphones perform over a number of aspects, how people rate the individual performance aspects against each other is the personal preference.

System Name ARiA
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Software Windows 10 Pro
I totally agree. Listening is far better than just reading especially in the beginning where you only have a vague definition of what type of headphone you are after. Also with high-end stuff it has a lot to do with personal preference.

My personal favourite at the moment is the HD800s on a fully balanced setup, but I can definitely understand why many people prefer the warmer more bass intensive headphones like the HE-series headphones.

All we can really do is try and spot the defining characteristics and see how well the headphones perform over a number of aspects, how people rate the individual performance aspects against each other is the personal preference.

As much as I wanted to like the HD800, I could never get pass its brighter than the sun treble. I just couldn't listen to a headphones that hurts every now and then. I am glad that I found the A2000X and HA5000 pairing, which works wonderfully and sounds like HD800 without the piercing treble, it is just wonderful to my ears. Most the bass heavy headphones tend to wow on first listen, but just lacking after a longer session with them.

Again, these are totally my personal opinion, many people disagrees with it. The best written text could do is to describe the basic signature of the headphones, and its just impossible to pin point the sound to the audience. Its like trying to map out a painting in words. I have stopped trying to do that, once tried a totally different "review" style, trying to describe the effect and not the sound itself. It was a bit over the top, but it was fun. As I do some reviews as well, getting trolled first response you get is very depressing. I hope it is not going to stop you doing more of them and I hope others can keep their sarcastic comments else where.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143934

System Name Hakase
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X @ Stock
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-F
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S
Memory 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3000MHz 18-18-18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1070 Dual
Storage 250GB 860EVO - 2x600GB Cheetah 15k7 - 2x2TB Constellation ES - 2+3TB Green - 500GB Deskstar
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2476-smhd
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Fostex PC100USB > Altec Lansing ATP-3
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight - Razer ExactMat Control
Keyboard Leopold FC750R, MX Blue
Software Win 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores not benching anymore...
i've tried it on some different amplifiers, gainclone, balanced cMoy, and some other.
the sound it produces is very" good.

but i think frederik should write a review about the He500 too, its more musical, and much easier to drive than this..

the best setup for me so far is AMB Gamma2 > Burson HA-160D > SilverDragon V3 > LCD2
king of rock music..

and next best is Eddie Current Zana Deux > ER4, pure musical bliss,

and yes, i've tried almost all flagship headphone models.
:D