• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Head-Direct RE0 Earphones

RE0 is the name of the brand new high-end in-ear solution from Head-Direct. Despite the naming scheme, these new in-ear have very little in common with its predecessors in the RE-line of products.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Desktop|| Virtual Host 0
Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V || Dell PowerEdge R710 (Intel 5520 chipset)
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100 || Stock hotplug fans and passive heatsinks
Memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 || 12x4gb Hynix DDR3 1066 FB-DIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 760 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB OC || Don't know, don't care
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2349S || remote iDRAC KVM console
Case Antec P280 || Dell PowerEdge R710
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
Power Supply SeaSonic X650 Gold || 2x870w hot-swappable
Mouse Logitech G500 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Keyboard Logitech G510 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 || VMware vSphere 6.0 with vCenter Server 6.0
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 on the scouter
Yet another excellent headphone review! :toast: I just want to let you know that your efforts here are much appreciated and that your reviews will make my life ten times easier when I upgrade my phones :D

BTW, do you think that using a decent EQ (such as Rockbox's parametric one) to bump the right frequencies might make up for the small lack of bass you mentioned in the review?

I do not know how the RockBox EQ works, but from what I have read on the web its parametric equalizer should work well without distorting.

They look like the V-Modas, but that is where the comparison ends. I guess they share the same case manufacturer which is normal in the IEM industry. The driver used is completely different than that in the V-Moda Vibes. The overall sound quality of the RE0s is light years ahead of the Vibe's.

I did a review of the Vibes a while ago here is the link: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/V-MODA/Vibe

These are now available for only $159 as apart of the Head-Direct Christmas sale, sweet deal.

zeus_hunt

Let me first thank you for such a good Review.
I got my RE2 after reading your Review.
And that opened my eyes (ears in this case) to music.
RE2s have been a part of my life on a daily basis since I got them.
And now I am ready for the next step / another purchase.

The sensitivity of the earphones is actually 3dB/1mW lower than that of the RE1s, that along with the drop in impedance means that it takes roughly the same amount of power to drive them to the same volume level. During the course of my testing I found the RE0s to be just about as hard to drive as the RE1s.

I have an iAudio7
From http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/7/

Max Output 16 Ohm earphones : 26mW + 26mW

On my iAudio7 I listen at 34/40 volume with RE2s.
Now RE2 is 32 Ohms. I m wondering if iAudio7 would be able to play 64 Ohm RE0 unAmped (Even though there is a free Amp that comes with it... It would beat the purpose of having such low profile iAudio7) ?

Second Question..
I m pretty happy with the tight Bass of RE2
When compared to RE2, does RE0 have same amount or more Bass ?
How would u compare Basses of RE2 and RE0 ?

I love my iAudio7, my main concern is if... it can drive the RE0.
If it can... I m paying for these today.

Last edited:
I do not own an i7 anymore but with my Cowon D2 I get sufficient volume at about 23/50, so my best guess is that the i7 will have enough juice to drive them to like 80% of their potential. They are actually bundled with a FiiO E3 portable headphone amp at the moment, so you can always experiment with the i7 + FiiO combo. The FiiO is not the best headphone amp but it probably elevates the performance a bit.

The difference in my rig between using or not using the RSA Tomahawk is a better defined bass and a more refined midrange. Subtle details, but I think it is worth it using the RE0s with a portable headphone amp.

The RE0s are in a completely different league compared to the RE2s, I think you will find the upgrade worth it if you like a analytical sound signature.

Feel free to report back in this thread if you decide to go for the RE0s and tell us how you like them. Remember they need over 100 hours of burn-in before they sound their best.

zeus_hunt

Cowon D2
Max Output 16 Ohm earphone : 37mW + 37mW

iAudio7
Max Output 16 Ohm earphones : 26mW + 26mW

This makes iAudio 70% as powerfull compared to Cowon D2

But I think I will go for it.
I have never used an Amp earlier.. So will get to know something new.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Will post when I have mine delivered.

Last edited: