• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Headphones

System Name Corsair 900D
Processor FX8350
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling Corsair H110I
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1080
Storage 2x 500GB 1x 1TB WD Green
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / HP 27" 1080p LED
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi (Built in/Mobo) - Xonar Sound Card
Power Supply Enermax 1020Watt
Mouse Logitech Something Whatever
Keyboard Logtich G910
Software Windows 10
Alright I'm stuck between these two headphones to snag..

I've head great thing's about the Razer series headset's Link

But then I saw these Link they seem to get great review's and have comparable stat's.

Recommendation from user experiences?

Also I need a good Bluetooth headset that has been causing me a lot of trouble.

Jawbone II, or Blueant...seem to be some of the best, anyone have any other recommendations?

Last edited:

tomba2k

System Name AMD
Processor Athlon x2 7750+ BE
Motherboard Biostar A770 A2+
Cooling Stock Phenom cooler
Memory 2GB Geil BlackDragon + 2GB OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
Video Card(s) nVidia 8800GTS EXO
Storage 500GB
Display(s) AOC 916Swa
Case Frontier Achilles
Audio Device(s) Realtek Azalia
Power Supply XFX 450W (SeaSonic)
Software Win7 x64 Pro
Recommendation

I would recommend Creative Labs Fatal1ty.
Its great for gaming and listen to music.
It has long cable, it's very comfortable and its good quality.
Freq range is between 20Hz and 20kHz, and although there are wider fr. range headphones/headsets, those are only frequencies that most of people can hear. (biologically)
I have standard version of headset, and there is usb version too (5.1 with some advanced technologies from creative) which has about 50% higher price.

I don't have any true remark on this headset, and I've been using it for a year, so i would recommend it:)

Here's some links with info about my version (standard stereo/jack-plugs version):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfhS5jeHY1o
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/creative_fatal1ty_review/

Last edited:
PLANTRONICS GameCom 367's are very nice. I have had a lot of headsets, and these are one of my favorites.

First of all the theoretical frequency range of the drivers used in headphones is absolutely irrelevant, it is the frequency response that is interesting if you want to make a preliminary judgement of whether the headphones are bass heavy/light, top happy etc.. etc... The ideal for gaming is something with a relatively linear frequency response, however, that is a bit dull to listen to so most people go for something that has elevated bass response.

Basically all headphone manufacturers claim something like 20 Hz to 20 kHz, and say nothing about the linearity. It does not matter that the driver begins to vibrate at 20 Hz if the amplification at that frequency is close to zero compared to the SPL@1 kHz, since it will be inaudible.

If you are looking at getting some closed headphones for gaming I would recommend you to look at some of the cheap Ultrasone headphones or even the BeyerDynamic DT770PROs 80 Ohm impedance. If you want open back there are the Sennheiser HD595s or 555s which have a reasonably good sound stage and can be run straight out of a normal sound card.

Most of the sounds that give away other players in games are in the midrange, like footsteps, doors opening, floor creaks etc. So a good midrange is in my opinion essential.

System Name Corsair 900D
Processor FX8350
Cooling Corsair H110I
Case Corsair 900D
Keyboard Logtich G910
Software Windows 10
First of all the theoretical frequency range of the drivers used in headphones is absolutely irrelevant, it is the frequency response that is interesting if you want to make a preliminary judgement of whether the headphones are bass heavy/light, top happy etc.. etc... The ideal for gaming is something with a relatively linear frequency response, however, that is a bit dull to listen to so most people go for something that has elevated bass response.

Basically all headphone manufacturers claim something like 20 Hz to 20 kHz, and say nothing about the linearity. It does not matter that the driver begins to vibrate at 20 Hz if the amplification at that frequency is close to zero compared to the SPL@1 kHz, since it will be inaudible.

If you are looking at getting some closed headphones for gaming I would recommend you to look at some of the cheap Ultrasone headphones or even the BeyerDynamic DT770PROs 80 Ohm impedance. If you want open back there are the Sennheiser HD595s or 555s which have a reasonably good sound stage and can be run straight out of a normal sound card.

Most of the sounds that give away other players in games are in the midrange, like footsteps, doors opening, floor creaks etc. So a good midrange is in my opinion essential.

Wow! Thanks man! :toast:

Damn good explanition..never knew all that. A lot of people request Sennheiser im just not a fan of the style, and a couple that i have tried hurt my ears after an hour.

I'll take a look at the Ultrasone and BeyerDynamics as well.

Anyone have a Jawbone II that they enjoy? Seem's I might go with this bluetooth seeing it is one of the better ones out there.

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
if you need a headset for Gaming purchase the Cyber Snipa Sonar 5.1 if you need a headset for Gaming, Music and Movies purchase the Audio Technica AD700 with Zalman ZM-Mic both are under $100 the Cyber Snipa Sonar 5.1 doesn't have the quality the Audio Technica AD700 has but it offers positioning and quality bass. I would take the Audio Technica AD700 over the BeyerDynamics DT770 Pro and Sennheiser HD555, you can get the closed version of the Audio Technica AD700 for over $100 I will be buying a pair of these soon to replace my Sennheiser HD515.

Last edited:
System Name Corsair 900D
Processor FX8350
Cooling Corsair H110I
Case Corsair 900D
Keyboard Logtich G910
Software Windows 10
if you need a headset for Gaming purchase the Cyber Snipa Sonar 5.1 if you need a headset for Gaming, Music and Movies purchase the Audio Technica AD700 with Zalman ZM-Mic both are under $100 the Cyber Snipa Sonar 5.1 doesn't have the quality the Audio Technica AD700 has but it offers positioning and quality bass. I would take the Audio Technica AD700 over the BeyerDynamics DT770 Pro and Sennheiser HD555, you can get the closed version of the Audio Technica AD700 for over $100 I will be buying a pair of these soon to replace my Sennheiser HD515.

I have a set of Edemensionals right now that are USB and I'm not a fan of software emulation for sound. The quality is ok, but they have been acting funny as of late, crackling, popping one side loses audio.

I have a mic already left over from my Icemat Syberias.

The BeyerDynamics DT770's are out of my pricerange. I like those Audio Technica's AD700's. And they have the 3.5mm jack which is what i want.

For some reason I dont like how the Sennheiser's feel. Couple of friend's I have use them and I don't like em'.

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Sennheisers look and feel cheap but they are not. the Audio Technica AD700 have incredible bass. I own the Cyber Snipa Sonar 5.1 headset and it is by far one of the best compared to the Zalman 5.1, Tritton 5.1 Series and eDimensional AudioFX 5.1 even with Dolby or CMSS 3D still not good as having multiple drivers so like I said it depends what you plan on using them for.

Last edited:

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Not sure what your budget is, but my Turtle Beach HPA2's have treated me effing amazingly. They are 5.1, detatchable mic, very comfy, built in amp w/level control for each channel + master volume, sounds damn good for movies, music and gaming, mic pics up loud and clear on TS/Vent/etc. I've had 2 versions, one that used the wall outlet for power (rv1), I ended up giving those to a good friend who had dog issues with his last headset, the rev2's I got are USB powered but actually sounded better to my ears. They work great with onboard and add-in sound cards, I'm sure they're not Senn quality, but they do kick ass, very comfy for hours of use, they go louder than I can stand, which makes up for not being able to crank my Logitech X-230's in my apartment.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826502011&Tpk=Turtle Beach HPA2

Not saying they're the best, but they sound great to me, a little level tuning and then some EQ tuning on my X-Fi and they sound damn great in everything to my ears.

:toast:

tomba2k

System Name AMD
Storage 500GB
Display(s) AOC 916Swa
Case Frontier Achilles
Software Win7 x64 Pro

Read conclusion here:
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/creative_fatal1ty_review/7.htm
Note that this is my version (stereo plugs, not usb)

If headphones are not true professional headphones, they are not even close to linear.
Gaming headphones are not linear at all.
There is no such thing to be precise.
Every sound source has its own parabolic chart of frequency response.
It seems you copy-pasted your info from somewhere:S
Otherwise, you would know mentioned problematic of frequency response charts, and characteristics of real sound sources.
Bass elevation is just second peak in a chart, and it cannot be truly achieved without multiple drivers in headphones!

Also, you want as low impedance as possible in your headphones, if they are not ultra high quality (pro), 80 Ohms is just too much!
Cyber Snipa Sonar and Creative Labs Fatal1ty have normal 32 Ohms impedance.

Sennheiser are really good products, but if you don't need pro headphones, you could find some other product that has lower price with even better characteristics in mainstream category.
It just depends on your needs;)

Sennheisers look and feel cheap but they are not. the Audio Technica AD700 have incredible bass. I own the Cyber Snipa Sonar 5.1 headset and it is by far one of the best compared to the Zalman 5.1, Tritton 5.1 Series and eDimensional AudioFX 5.1 even with Dolby or CMSS 3D still not good as having multiple drivers so like I said it depends what you plan on using them for.
Well, try to compare it to Fatal1ty Headset.
I'm interested in result:)

I have a set of Edemensionals right now that are USB and I'm not a fan of software emulation for sound. The quality is ok, but they have been acting funny as of late, crackling, popping one side loses audio....
Every usb-only headphones have integrated sound card.
It all depends on quality of sound card.
If all advanced options on usb headset are software emulated, that can't be good.
But if hardware support is good (like it is by Creative Labs: ) that is totaly different.

Last edited:
System Name Gaming rig
Processor Intel i7 7700K at 4.4GHZ
Motherboard Asrock Z270M-ITX/AC
Cooling Cryorig H7
Memory Crappy 16GB memory
Video Card(s) Zotac 3060ti undervolted at .850mv
Storage WD m2 Sata SSD + WD 10TB HD
Display(s) 27 inch LG 1440p 144hz + 27 inch Lenovo Thinkvision 1440p 60hz
Case Thermaltake Versa H18
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 600W
Mouse Coolermaster MM711
Keyboard Steelseries Merc Stealth
Last edited:

Close to linear frequency response is a relative term but you can get quite close to the ideal from a pair of headphones.

The ER-4P are very close to the ideal. And as you can see getting a set of headphones to produce absurd levels of bass is totally possible just have a glance at the frequency response chart for the Denon D5000 headphones or that of the Sennheiser IE8's. All of these headphones have just one driver per cup. No need for multiple drivers. Multiple drivers in headphones will cause a bunch of problems, for one you have phase coherency, then there is the issue with signal degradation of the crossover.

http://www.headphone.com/technical/...raphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

Above is from the HeadRoom site which feature close to ideal frequency response charts for a lot of headphones. They even do the measurements on a Head Acoustic artificial head which emulates the bone and flesh structures of a regular human head.

80 Ohms impedance is elevated but not too high to cause a problem. What is important is that the efficiency is high not if the impedance is 80 Ohms or 32 Ohms for that matter. As long as it is far away from the extremes.

I have played a mini tournament here in Denmark using the Fatality headphones you mention, and those are quite frankly far from the best set of gaming headphones you can get, they are grossly overpriced.

Also you mention "pro" headphones? Professional headphones are mostly about retaining details so that you can tell whether the stuff you are mixing or mastering is going to sound well. All of the headphones discussed in this thread are either gaming headphones, or high quality headphones made with normal consumers or audiophiles in mind. The Sennheiser HD555s or BeyerDynamic headphones are geared towards the home listening crowd the PRO version of the BeyerDynamic are made for use in the studio which means they are a completely closed design which gives you some noise attenuation, which is good when it comes to gaming headphones because you sometimes sit and play in a noisy environment.

You claim that source have a parabolic shaped frequency response chart, that is only the case when you have applied and equalizer or there is something wrong with the card. A good high quality source will have a response chart similar to this: http://www.stereophile.com/images/archivesart/1007MARFIG1.jpg
Stereophiles measurements of the Marantz SA8001 SACD player.

A normal Creative X-Fi's response chart: http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2005/08/18/creative_x/fr96.png
Which is also quite close to linear. The edges are only rolled off at inaudible frequencies at least to humans although you can still bug your dog with it if you had a set of speakers able to output upwards 30 kHz.

This short story is produced by yours truly (and not c/ped from anywhere on the web),
Frederik Skovgaard

Tau

If you are looking for a Nice set of headphones that wont break the bank and sound pretty fair (fair being a judgment made by the listener)

the Audio Technica 700 (AD i think) are a nice set at a very reasonable price point as well.

Dont bother looking at anything in the upper range of cans like 555s/595s/ ultrasonne 750/etc. Anything with these kind of power requirements NEEDs amping. PERIOD.

Since i doubt you are looking to invest that much money into a setup for headphones grab a set of headphones that are easy to drive, the abov ementioned AUdioTechnicas sound pretty good for the money. They have an average mid range responce and a surprising top end for the money... only downfall is their lowend bass responce is a bit on the weak side... (again this is were your EQ comes in so you can pick that section up a little bit)

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
Dont fall for the gimmick of 5.1 headphones. Stereo headphones have the same if not better positioning than 5.1 . Dont believe me ? check it out here on OCN
http://www.overclock.net/sound-card...3-ocnhc-guide-gaming-headphones-headsets.html
Also listen to "Virtual Haircut" with stereo headphones on. You will realize stereo is just as good for positioning

they are not a gimmick, I bought my Cyber Snipa Sonar 5.1 because they had multiple drivers not because of the quality my Sennheiser HD515 destroy them but my Sennheiser can't do what my Cyber Sniper Sonar 5.1 can and they are terrific in comparison to the other half dozen 5.1 headset/headphones considering they are USB.

Well, try to compare it to Fatal1ty Headset.
I'm interested in result:)

I don't think I will be exchanging my Sennheiser HD515 for a Creative Fatal1ty Headset.

Using 5.1 headphones will surely give you exact surround, better surround than stereo headphones, even the best ones, but surround "5.1" headphones have one major weakness, they have to compromise most of the sound quality to get multiple drivers just to make that surround sound. On the other hand using stereo headphones won't give you better positioning than surround headphone

oh look someone agrees I couldn't of worded it any better either.

System Name THE MAD BEAST!!!
Processor Tinfoil rapper with some coathangers
Motherboard Graham cracker with with frosting
Cooling A shovel full of snow
Memory Grey matter out of a corpse
Video Card(s) Cat eyes
Storage A whales brain
Display(s) Cyclops eyeball
Case Inside a yetis hollowed out corpse
Audio Device(s) howling banchee
Power Supply 32 hamster on a massive wheel
Software WHo needs software when you have a box of kittens
Benchmark Scores IS gatrillions a number?
+1 for the fatality, lightweight. amazing sound, usb port=frees up sound port for speakers without splitter can be plugged into keyboard, detachable mic for not when in use, easy setup, reasonably priced, hands down best gaming headset out there

Tau

they are not a gimmick, I bought my Cyber Snipa Sonar 5.1 because they had multiple drivers not because of the quality my Sennheiser HD515 destroy them but my Sennheiser can't do what my Cyber Sniper Sonar 5.1 can and they are terrific in comparison to the other half dozen 5.1 headset/headphones considering they are USB.

I don't think I will be exchanging my Sennheiser HD515 for a Creative Fatal1ty Headset.

I have used a few diffrent sets of 5.1 headphones and IMO their all rubbish (the Zalmans, as well as the highly rated Medusas) Aftering using these as well as a quality set of stereo headphones i will never even look twice at a 5.1 set again. The quality is rubbish, as well as the functionality is mediocre at best. Sure positioning in SOME games is better, but using them for anything else except a handfull of games is worthless.

Your 515's are a decent piece of kit, what do you have driving them?

Even the HD515's are considered entry level pro headphones and they will walk all over any "gaming" headphones. Drive them properly and thats when they really start to shine.

(I have a set of HD500s that i use for gaming and transport and love them to bits)

+1 for the fatality, lightweight. amazing sound, usb port=frees up sound port for speakers without splitter can be plugged into keyboard, detachable mic for not when in use, easy setup, reasonably priced, hands down best gaming headset out there

If you have a creative card you never need to use splitters you can just map the rear channel output to be another lineout for headphones. (yuck creative)

Also be aware that sound is HIGHLY subjective... what sounds good to one person might sound like crap to another person... and vice versa.

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
multiple drivers are multiple drivers.. Speakers are Z-5500 and Z-680, Soundcards are Auzentech X-Fi Prelude and Asus Xonar DX, Headphones are Cyber Snipa Sonar 5.1 and Sennheiser HD515

tomba2k

System Name AMD
Storage 500GB
Display(s) AOC 916Swa
Case Frontier Achilles
Software Win7 x64 Pro
Dont fall for the gimmick of 5.1 headphones. Stereo headphones have the same if not better positioning than 5.1 .
i believe you, but it depends on headset. most of 5.1 headsets are just a marketing trick.
either they don't really have more than 2 drivers, either its bad implemented.
also, positioning on stereo headset can be very god, but it cant give you true up/down orientation, only planar 360 degree orientation. (field, not space positioning)
cyber snipa sonar and creative labs fatal1ty are not headphones where 5.1 is just a marketing trick!

.....The ER-4P are very close to the ideal. And as you can see getting a set of headphones to produce absurd levels of bass is totally possible just have a glance at the frequency response chart for the Denon D5000 headphones or that of the Sennheiser IE8's. All of these headphones have just one driver per cup. No need for multiple drivers. Multiple drivers in headphones will cause a bunch of problems, for one you have phase coherency, then there is the issue with signal degradation of the crossover.
80 Ohms impedance is elevated but not too high to cause a problem. What is important is that the efficiency is high not if the impedance is 80 Ohms or 32 Ohms for that matter. As long as it is far away from the extremes.

I have played a mini tournament here in Denmark using the Fatality headphones you mention, and those are quite frankly far from the best set of gaming headphones you can get, they are grossly overpriced.

You claim that source have a parabolic shaped frequency response chart, that is only the case when you have applied and equalizer or there is something wrong with the card. A good high quality source will have a response chart similar to this: http://www.stereophile.com/images/archivesart/1007MARFIG1.jpg
Stereophiles measurements of the Marantz SA8001 SACD player.

A normal Creative X-Fi's response chart: http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2005/08/18/creative_x/fr96.png
Which is also quite close to linear. The edges are only rolled off at inaudible frequencies at least to humans although you can still bug your dog with it if you had a set of speakers able to output upwards 30 kHz.

This short story is produced by yours truly (and not c/ped from anywhere on the web),
Frederik Skovgaard
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=563&graphID[]=743&graphID[]=713&graphID[]=553
you see here that you have "wholes" in freq specter, when you have multiple drivers per cup, those "wholes" are much less present on better headsets, because frequencies are divided between drivers. (again, this isn't related to marketing trick of 5.1 headsets, only true 5.1 hs with some quality)

on http://www.stereophile.com/images/archivesart/1007MARFIG1.jpg its missing part of freq. specter (less than 10Hz) , but even there you have slight parabolic chart. (but that is in quality definitely far away from mainstream category)
point was that every real audio source has its own parabolic chart. (i don't mean on any equalizer here :S )
the closer it is to straight line in audible freqs (20-20.000Hz), to more quality the product is.

i can see now there you're speaking your mind, not c/p it, but we got misunderstood on a idea about parabolic chart.

i don't now which model of fatal1ty you tried, but i payed for my stereo version about 32 pounds in croatia. my model is same generation as fatal1ty HS-1000, but HS-1000 is usb version (5.1 version) and according to http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/creative_fatal1ty_review/6.htm they are better than Sennheiser HD437 (and in my expirience, even better than HD500) if you find overclockersclub relevant. (i do: )

Last edited:

ShadowFold

System Name The ShadowFold Draconis (Ordering soon)
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8ghz
Motherboard ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870
Cooling Stock
Memory Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX ATi Radeon HD 5850 1gb
Storage Western Digital 640gb
Display(s) Acer 21.5" 5ms Full HD 1920x1080P
Case Antec Nine-Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Creative "Fatal1ty" Headset
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 650w
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Benchmark Scores -❶-❸-❸-❼-
Just wanna say the Creative Faltal1ty's are pretty lame compared to my old razer set. I broke them unfortunately..

tomba2k

System Name AMD
Storage 500GB
Display(s) AOC 916Swa
Case Frontier Achilles
Software Win7 x64 Pro

Using 5.1 headphones will surely give you exact surround, better surround than stereo headphones, even the best ones, but surround "5.1" headphones have one major weakness, they have to compromise most of the sound quality to get multiple drivers just to make that surround sound. On the other hand using stereo headphones won't give you better positioning than surround headphone
totaly agree, that's what i'm saying.
5.1 headsets are mostly bullshit, but there is few which are not!

didn't think to exchange ur hs, i'm just interested in your opinion about them after you try them:)

yes, that is true, but not all headphones have notable degradation of sound quality.

I have used a few diffrent sets of 5.1 headphones and IMO their all rubbish (the Zalmans, as well as the highly rated Medusas) Aftering using these as well as a quality set of stereo headphones i will never even look twice at a 5.1 set again. The quality is rubbish, as well as the functionality is mediocre at best. Sure positioning in SOME games is better, but using them for anything else except a handfull of games is worthless.

Your 515's are a decent piece of kit, what do you have driving them?

Even the HD515's are considered entry level pro headphones and they will walk all over any "gaming" headphones. Drive them properly and thats when they really start to shine.

(I have a set of HD500s that i use for gaming and transport and love them to bits)....
well, there is a notable difference between Creative Labs and Zalman about sound devices (same as you compare Sennheiser and OCZ). in my opinion Fatal1ty (even stereo version) is far better gaming headset than HD500, and at overclockersclub their tests showed that is better than Sennheiser HD437.

multiple drivers are multiple drivers.. Speakers are Z-5500 and Z-680, Soundcards are Auzentech X-Fi Prelude and Asus Xonar DX, Headphones are Cyber Snipa Sonar 5.1 and Sennheiser HD515
thank you.
i don't speak english very often, only online, so sometimes i can't recall the word.
i know i should say that drivers are drivers and not speakers, but your explanation (what is soundcard, headphone etc :S ) is a bit "overdosed", i know what i'm speaking about.

Last edited:
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
when I said "multiple drivers are multiple drivers.." I meant nothing can replicate the physicality of multiple drivers. my entire choice of purchase of the Cyber Snipa Sonar 5.1 was based on positioning nothing else. you want to talk about gimmick the new Logitech G35 ($132 USD) is marketed as 7.1 Surround when in reality they use 2 drivers and Dolby technology $56 USD more than the Cyber Snipa Sonar 5.1 ($76 USD) and from the reviews they don't sound all that well. that is my entire audio setup for both computers. i'm not familiar with the HD437 but I know there is a huge difference between even the smallest models like the HD201 and HD202. the Creative Headset has been out at least 2 years now? and this is the first time I have ever heard someone praise it honest to god.

Last edited:

Tau

totaly agree, that's what i'm saying.
5.1 headsets are mostly bullshit, but there is few which are not!

didn't think to exchange ur hs, i'm just interested in your opinion about them after you try them:)

yes, that is true, but not all headphones have notable degradation of sound quality.

well, there is a notable difference between Creative Labs and Zalman about sound devices (same as you compare Sennheiser and OCZ). in my opinion Fatal1ty (even stereo version) is far better gaming headset than HD500, and at overclockersclub their tests showed that is better than Sennheiser HD437.

thank you.
i don't speak english very often, only online, so sometimes i can't recall the word.
i know i should say that drivers are drivers and not speakers, but your explanation (what is soundcard, headphone etc :S ) is a bit "overdosed", i know what i'm speaking about.

I would argue that is HIGHLY debatable, as gaming performance can vary so much for every person, as well as the game that it is applied to.

Personally i wont be touching a pair of headphones that is not stereo after the experiance i have had with various makes. This is a personal preference though as i much prefer a stereo set.

For gaming its all about what you play and how seriouse about sound you are, for most people medusas, the zalmans, or fatality headphones work great. Also some people would not even notice the diffrence between them or say a set of HD555s or even 595s, these kinda of people should stop reading ;)

I used to play competitive conterstrike on a pro level (winning team on multiple lans, as well as online leagues/tournamnets) and have been using entry level pro gear for ages, granted i started on a set of behind the head sony headphones... that at the time i thought were nice, though uses as well as needs evolve. i quickly moved up through headphones finally ending up with a set of amped HD500s and for gaming these things are perfect. The ability to be good at Counter Strike is primarily based on spacial awareness, with these HD500's (yes they are stere) i can pinpoint exactly were a sound has come from, no matter my orientation in the game.

Granted I am not in the pro circuit anymore this holds true in Cod4 as well i can pinpoint sounds within a 1/4" in the game...

The medusas made this a little bit easyer... but they were heavily lacking in quality, and i could only hear for ~40% of the distance as on the 500's.

These facts alone made me return them and neve look back.

It would be good if you could audition a few pairs of headphones first... see if any of your friends have a few diffrent kits/setups and see if they will let you listen to them with some familiar music, as well as your most played games... THis should help you out immensly when picking them out.

IMO my 0.02

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
well put. when I was a kid the only gaming gear we had was a Microsoft optical mouse and the hope a new Motorola cable modem would come out my cable was so expensive $40 installation fee and $80 a month for 250KB/s downstream and 25 KB/s upstream went from 120-140 to 50-60 ping in Quake and that was if someone in my pool wasn't hogging the bandwidth was terrible during winter way too much downtime once you complained so much they would send out a technician to wand the line and install a new modem. now it's processors, video cards, headsets, mice, keyboard, connection, etc.

one thing I like about the Tritton Series Headsets is the bundles come with 2 kinds of headbands and ear ear cushion (velvet and leather)

Last edited:
i believe you, but it depends on headset. most of 5.1 headsets are just a marketing trick.
either they don't really have more than 2 drivers, either its bad implemented.
also, positioning on stereo headset can be very god, but it cant give you true up/down orientation, only planar 360 degree orientation. (field, not space positioning)
cyber snipa sonar and creative labs fatal1ty are not headphones where 5.1 is just a marketing trick!

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=563&graphID[]=743&graphID[]=713&graphID[]=553
you see here that you have "wholes" in freq specter, when you have multiple drivers per cup, those "wholes" are much less present on better headsets, because frequencies are divided between drivers. (again, this isn't related to marketing trick of 5.1 headsets, only true 5.1 hs with some quality)

on http://www.stereophile.com/images/archivesart/1007MARFIG1.jpg its missing part of freq. specter (less than 10Hz) , but even there you have slight parabolic chart. (but that is in quality definitely far away from mainstream category)
point was that every real audio source has its own parabolic chart. (i don't mean on any equalizer here :S )
the closer it is to straight line in audible freqs (20-20.000Hz), to more quality the product is.

i can see now there you're speaking your mind, not c/p it, but we got misunderstood on a idea about parabolic chart.

i don't now which model of fatal1ty you tried, but i payed for my stereo version about 32 pounds in croatia. my model is same generation as fatal1ty HS-1000, but HS-1000 is usb version (5.1 version) and according to http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/creative_fatal1ty_review/6.htm they are better than Sennheiser HD437 (and in my expirience, even better than HD500) if you find overclockersclub relevant. (i do: )

You are completely missing the point. 10 Hz is inaudible and hence completely irrelevant. The source as you can see on the chart has an almost linear frequency response from 10 Hz which is well below the audible range to over 20 kHz which is above that.

Even though you have multiple driver you will still have a high number of dips and bumps on a frequency response chart. The ones that come closest to represent linear response as the ones with a slight bump across 1 kHz and then a little elevation near 100 Hz as well (long time since I studied ideal frequency response charts). Headsets with multiple driver are way off the ideal with way to much bass and rolled off highs, the number of drivers is not a quality marker by any means. Most single driver headphones will be closer to the ideal than any the multiple driver headphones manufactured today.

Also you ignore the fact that even a mainstream X-Fi card has a linear frequency response in the audible range which is from ~18hz to ~18 kHz (if you have perfect hearing).

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Memory 2x4GB Mushkin Redline Ridgebacks
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 680
Case Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced
Power Supply Corsair HX-1000
PLANTRONICS GameCom 367's are very nice. I have had a lot of headsets, and these are one of my favorites.

I am partial to PLANTRONICS as well but I have to say this model, http://www.plantronics.com/north_am...p;jsessionid=EU2WN5Y1ZBHJICQBGNYCFEYKAEZXAIV0, is the best headset I've ever owned. They are a nice weight, feel great to wear for long periods of time, durable in the sense that they are made to give a little if weight is put on them where most headsets would crack, and they can push some great quality sound.