• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Health , Medical ;

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Maybe I'm wrong but I think vaping is partially aimed at teens. Hence the flavors. Kind of reminds me when Camel put out their flavored cigarettes that appealed to teens. They even had a chocolate flavored cigarette iirc.

Again, I can only speak for the UK but vaping is absolutely and exclusively aimed at smokers, I say aimed, there is no marketing allowed. Rumour has it that both smoking and vaping over here may have a law change regarding minimum age raising it from the current 18 to 21...…. it used to be 16 for smoking in my day.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Well, Walmart plans to stop selling E-Cigarettes in it's stores. Citing the uncertainties associated with vaping and Trump's call to ban sales of most flavors. 8 people are believed to be dead from vaping.

Meanwhile Walmart will continue to sell regular cigarettes which are believed to be responsible for 480,000 deaths in the USA every year including 41,000 deaths from second hand smoke. It is estimated that around 67% of smokers eventually die from it. And 16 million Americans are living with a disease caused by smoking cigarettes.

Smoking causes cancer, heart disease, stroke, lung diseases, diabetes, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis.

Doesn't make any sense to ban E-Cigarettes and not ban cigarettes which are far, far more deadly.

Last edited:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Software Win 10 Home x64
Meanwhile, update from my liquid supplier (again)…………..

You've probably seen the recent reporting of a vape scare in the USA, which we covered on the blog here.

Unfortunately, there has been a lot of misinformation, so we wanted to share the facts with you.

What caused the illnesses?

The FDA has now said that these respiratory illnesses have been caused by the use of a specific substance (Vitamin E Acetate) in unregulated THC/marijuana cartridges. These are illegal in the UK.

What’s the situation in the UK?

• No E-Cigarette Direct products, or indeed any regulated UK e-liquid, contain the ingredient found in the unregulated THC cartridges that have caused respiratory illnesses in the USA.
  • UK liquids have to be tested and submitted to the MHRA* before being sold in the UK.
  • The MHRA monitors vaping carefully and has not found any connection between regulated e-liquid and respiratory illnesses, or any other major illnesses.
  • The UK government, UK scientists and Public Health England have repeated that vaping UK regulated e-liquid is at least 95% safer than smoking.

For more information see our article here.

What should you do to be safe?

As always, you should only buy regulated e-liquid from responsible suppliers. A comprehensive list of registered e-liquids which can be found on the MHRA website here.

All the best

The ECD Team

*Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Authority

Processor R5 5600
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling SPC Fortis 3
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3000 2x8
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio RTX 3070
Storage Lexar Pro NM760 1 TB, Corsair MP510 960 GB
Display(s) Dell U2412M
Case be quiet! Pure Base 500
Power Supply EVGA G2 750W
Mouse Logitech G500
Keyboard SPC Gear GK550 Omnis Kailh Brown RGB
Maybe I'm wrong but I think vaping is partially aimed at teens. Hence the flavors. Kind of reminds me when Camel put out their flavored cigarettes that appealed to teens. They even had a chocolate flavored cigarette iirc.
That would make sense if teens wanted flavours while adults preferred unflavoured or tobacco flavoured juice, but that is not the case.
Many smokers who switch to vaping start with tobacco flavours because they think it will help with the transition, but most of them quickly move to more "tasty" juices.

Some companies that make or sell vaping products may target teens in their marketing, but vaping in general, in its modern form, was invented for smokers.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Well, Walmart plans to stop selling E-Cigarettes in it's stores. Citing the uncertainties associated with vaping and Trump's call to ban sales of most flavors. 8 people are believed to be dead from vaping.

Meanwhile Walmart will continue to sell regular cigarettes...
I completely get thier angle... even if I also think it adds fuel to the fire of this absurd moral panic. Nobody's suing Walmart for selling them the cigarettes that would ultimately lead to thier cancer. Most people would call that pretty silly. But there is a very real chance that same could not be said about vapes. You can bet thier legal team is on it and those folks know the game well. Which... man... yeah I don't know what to make of it, but thier actions speak to the mindset behind the issue startlingly well, don't they?

Strange as it truly is... such is the world we live in. So I can understand them not wanting to be sued over something vaping related. And beyond that Walmart tries really hard not to get caught on the wrong side of outcry. Wouldn't be the first time they leaned on empty virtue signalling in order to appear on the right side of things.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
That 77% is self-reported accounts. I wonder how many of those asked were not willing to say they used thc. Especially considering that right now the focus is on clandestinely made and acquired cartridges.

That's still a pretty large majority either way. If we trust the numbers the vaping side might not even be related. Not to say it's not concerning... but the lumping in may obfuscate the real risk, which may not even have anything to do with flavors for all we know.

I can't pretend to have the answers, but then even the FDA and the CDC aren't making that claim. It's all still under investigation and will be for a while by the looks of things.

My personal opinion... they weren't paying enough attention. And now they're scrambling to figure out what happened. The lack of answers is only spurring panic. Though to be fair it is scary as hell. It's really not like the CDC to be this behind on something. They usually come up with the concise answer in a snap.

Things like this likely wouldn't be happening if we had taken a different route towards oversight and regulation. It's been back and forth between camp "ban it" and camp "wild west" from the start... just spinning our wheels. Somewhere back there was a decent middle ground. But nobody in a position to find it went looking for it... and so far too many things went unchecked.

Hydrogen cyanide
Really good find. Thank you for that.

Last edited:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64
False. "No single product or substance has been linked to all lung injury cases." Vitamin E acetate was eliminated as a culprit. THC use is present in 77% of cases.
Well I just copied and pasted, however you care to look at it, 77% is a solid majority, it all comes across (rightly or wrongly) as "we are not regulating it and if we did we probably wouldn't have any deaths but that takes a little work so let's just ban it instead" It just appears to me that more US Vapours like messing with mixes and it's killing a few of them, again the FDA and Government appear to only care about that 150 dead vapers and choose to disregard the half million a year that die from smoking in your country but if taxable income is more important than life to some, neither you or I can do much about it...….. none of this in any case changes the fact that vaping, and even vaping by messing about with these liquids is hundreds of times safer than smoking, maybe the government across the pond wants all your vapers to quit and go back to smoking? Makes no sense unless of course you are making money out of sick people.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
The point is there's more to the illness and deaths than just THC. THC may be a contributing factor but it's not the only factor.